Union authorizes strike against Cater...

Union authorizes strike against Caterpillar, including York County site

There are 63 comments on the York Dispatch story from Jan 31, 2011, titled Union authorizes strike against Caterpillar, including York County site. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

Union members at Caterpillar Inc. facilities in York as well as Illinois and two other states have authorized the United Auto Workers to strike if necessary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

rich

United States

#21 Feb 1, 2011
boy I wish I would have voted for bama, got to agree with Eddie though.
Yogi

Salfordville, PA

#22 Feb 1, 2011
Bite me Tom, I am a major stockholder in this company and he does not do one iota but ride his fat a$$ around and tell people how good were doing ? Really ? yes at the employees expense.The bankers on Wall Street = True Terrorist
Tom

Etters, PA

#23 Feb 1, 2011
Yogi wrote:
Bite me Tom, I am a major stockholder in this company and he does not do one iota but ride his fat a$$ around and tell people how good were doing ? Really ? yes at the employees expense.The bankers on Wall Street = True Terrorist
Bite me?....lol If he is so awful than why don't the shareholders vote him out? You know they do have that option? If you are a shareholder and the company is making as much profit as you say, then you should love this guy!!!Your shares are making money!!!! Buy more of them and quit your bitchin!!! Take advantage of the success of your company and capitalize on it. We went 2 yrs w/out a pay raise where I work due to the economy. However, I took advantage of our stock prices, and kept buying more with the my 401K contribution and ended up 16.3% increase in my pension value this year. You need to accept the good with the bad and capitalize on it. Welcome to Capitalism and reality. The reality is, things are'nt always a guarantee. You don't need a silly Union to capitalize from your company. Use your head!!!
galvodog6

York, PA

#24 Feb 1, 2011
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously don't understand the free market concept. Workers would and still do get paid based on demand for their positions and the need for their specific skills. Why do you think Lowes, Home Depot and even Wal-Marts pay above minimum wage and have done so for years. Your argument does'nt hold water. It is the Union mentality that drives jobs overseas. Hell, if I owned a company and had to deal with blood sucking Unions, I'd take my business else where also. Public opinion against the Unions is growing rampant, well informed people are seeing, living with and paying out the ass due to these foolish thugs. Why does'nt the UAW start their own business of building vehicles and then compete with the others using the same methods on themselves as they do on the companies they muscle their way into. See how long they make it. They'd fail on their faces. They know it.
Walmart pays above minimum wage? point the way please.. last i remember, they actually helped you get govt benefits because they admitted they didnt pay you enough and their medical deductible was $5000 per person....
galvodog6

York, PA

#25 Feb 1, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
I tell you this labor union must be full of retards. Don't these morons remember what happened the last time? It's so nice to talk to former cat workers. I just can't believe the greed of these jerks. This country would be better off without unions. Just think how much money would be saved if you didn't have to pay a person over $20 an hour to stand around and do nothing.
And you really think that money would be saved? it would go straight into the CEO's pocket
bill

Stephens City, VA

#26 Feb 1, 2011
way to go...........a freakin strike now..........your out of your minds..........another company going over sea's......like Fiat allis.........and they never looked back
Tom

Etters, PA

#27 Feb 1, 2011
bill wrote:
way to go..........a freakin strike now..........your out of your minds..........another company going over sea's......like Fiat allis.........and they never looked back
Wait till the day Harley waves "bye bye". They just built a plant in Mexico. Also, Hershey Chocolate just built a plant in Mexico. They are fed up with the Unions. It's ironic how many Union shops outsource and leave town. The writing has been on the wall for years but these brain washed morons still support them. It's mind boggling!!!!
They are all TRASH

Canton, IL

#28 Feb 3, 2011
galvodog6 wrote:
<quoted text>
unemployment kicks in after 6 weeks, and union stipends kick in after 2 weeks...
NO IT DOES NOT !!!!
Unemployment benefits are only for workers who are able to work but NO WORK is available. Workers who choose to strike will receive NO UNEMPLOYMENT, only strike pay.. which for newer UAW workers is 100.00 a week..minues taxes and union dues.
So, needless to say they will NOT be going on strike
Paulee

United States

#29 Feb 3, 2011
Don't kid yourselves. We need unions. If we didn't have them we would all be working for 50 cents an hour. That being said, Unions have gotten too greedy. They need to temper it a bit. Also, the current SEIU and AFSCME people are a big drain on society. They aren't real union people. They live off the public (taxpayers) dole. I don't think public employees should have unions. It is not in society's best interests and it is almost impossible to fire a bad public employee. Plus, most public employees are overpaid compared to the private sector.

Since: Feb 11

Morton, IL

#30 Feb 4, 2011
I have to just laugh when the Union guys say that they're fighting for everyone, and so a safe work environment etc. Truth be known they want to strike for an increase in health costs. Where I work, when it goes up and it's gone up for ten years. You just deal with it, you don't refuse to keep going in to work. You guys go ahead and strike, do that and don't complain when it doesn't work out; in the sense that you won't have a job to go back to after your tantrum. You guys have already lost all credibility in this area, not to mention thousands of Union jobs.
KWM

Elizabethtown, PA

#31 Feb 5, 2011
In the 1990's, I witnessed the extended strike at Caterpillar, driving past the facility almost daily. The union members were carrying placards that disparaged the CEO (Donald Fites) and accused the company of unfair labor practices. While the strike dragged on, a surprising thing happened. Caterpiller moved supervisors onto the production lines and hired replacement workers (many college students that the UAW decried as "scabs"). Even with fewer workers, production was not slowed. You see, the union members and their quotas (I don't want to hear anyone say that quotas are a myth.) were outperformed by non-union workers. Where are all those Caterpillar workers now? Well, we know they aren't working at Caterpillar and, most likely, are earning a lesser wage with inferior benefits. Once again, the union killed the golden goose. And yet, here we go again.
galvodog6

United States

#32 Feb 6, 2011
They are all TRASH wrote:
<quoted text>
NO IT DOES NOT !!!!
Unemployment benefits are only for workers who are able to work but NO WORK is available. Workers who choose to strike will receive NO UNEMPLOYMENT, only strike pay.. which for newer UAW workers is 100.00 a week..minues taxes and union dues.
So, needless to say they will NOT be going on strike
Trust me, it kicks in after 6 to 8 weeks... i've gone on strike and collected unemployment. I cannot speak for the stipend, but my stipend is untaxable and its $200 for the first 3 weeks and then it goes to $350 a week thereafter.
Polly

Peoria, IL

#33 Feb 6, 2011
Bob wrote:
Hey Yogi. I think it is you that needs to get real. I have worked for both Union and Open Shop employers. I can see the need for unions. However, when the economy is bad, your bloated salaries and benefits just don't cut it, just as the bloated salaries and benefits of executives don't cut it. If you want the work now, you have to make sacrifices now. Perhaps when things get better you can strike to get it back. If safety is important to you, strike for that, we'll support you. If you don't want to be the obedient worker, try starting your own business and see how tough it is. In the meantime, people and companies all over the world are competing for the little that's out there. We all need to sacrifice to keep our heads above water.
Thats right we ALL have to sacrifice. That includes company workers as well. Those guys on the line are lucky if they make 16 bucks an hour. Caterpillar pretty much broke the union last time. Screw Caterpillar they are not concerned about the workers they are concerned about lining the execs pockets. Screw Caterpillar they again will get theirs!
Gestapo

Pekin, IL

#36 Feb 7, 2011
galvodog6 wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me, it kicks in after 6 to 8 weeks... i've gone on strike and collected unemployment. I cannot speak for the stipend, but my stipend is untaxable and its $200 for the first 3 weeks and then it goes to $350 a week thereafter.
This is not the case in Illinois. The person earlier was right. If you have work, and you choose not to go, you will not be getting anything from the unemployment office. That's a fact.
Logan

Aurora, IL

#37 Feb 23, 2011
Well there are so many false hoods in these posts. First unions do not drive companies overseas & do not effect their competitiveness, if you think this you are an IDIOT. Why would I say such a thing? Let's take a union job they can not ship overseas, like UPS which is union & compare it to its chief rival FedEx who is non union disclosure I worked for FedEx. UPS pays their union workers more per hour,$25/ hr and I got a whomping $17/hr at FedEx... UPS ships more packages, 3 times more when I worked in that industry & guess what UPS is cheaper to use as well..

How the hell do they pay their employees $8 more an hour & ship things for cheaper being they employee greedy union workers? It's because the corporations have been lying to you for the last 30 years & your dumb enough to believe them..lol

Being I worked in shipping for a long time I know a simple letter cost $42 to ship to Europe, It cost me 50c a lb (employee discount) to ship boxes inside the USA 3 day delivery... So lets say it was only $1 a lb to ship something like a driveshaft that weighs 20lbs, so I ship 1000 of them at a cost of $20k just in shipping costs.. So your gonna try & tell me that its cheaper to ship it to the USA then to pay 1 American machinist to make (figuring the machine that cuts the grooves does 10 per hour your at 100 hours of work)? Even if he made $50/hr (which no one pays that) that would be $5000... A savings of $15k.

You guys can't con me, I worked in the shipping field for over 10 years & with the costs of fuel tripling over the 15 years, it costs you more to make item outside the USA & ship it in here. Along with fears of PEAK OIL that price is only gonna rise. The majority of the work is done by machines, if you really think your saving money having a Chinese machinist run a machine vs an American your unable to do simple math.

Do research on what these guys make before you start spouting your non sense... These guys are not making that much as most have went to a 2 tier pay scale years ago, no new employees are getting pensions & if other countries like Germany are big on unions & are in better shape then us.. I'd say something isn't right & probably the corporations are lying to us,`
Logan

Aurora, IL

#38 Feb 23, 2011
JMichels wrote:
I have to just laugh when the Union guys say that they're fighting for everyone, and so a safe work environment etc. Truth be known they want to strike for an increase in health costs. Where I work, when it goes up and it's gone up for ten years. You just deal with it, you don't refuse to keep going in to work. You guys go ahead and strike, do that and don't complain when it doesn't work out; in the sense that you won't have a job to go back to after your tantrum. You guys have already lost all credibility in this area, not to mention thousands of Union jobs.
Well I'm glad to hear your one who doesn't like standing up for something they believe in, your the kind who puts his self interest over your friends & co workers. I expect when the Wal mart moved into your area you didn't mind your neighbor's hardware store went out of business along with the grocery store & a dozen other stores, the fact you save$10 a week was enough for you to sell out your community.
UAW

Pana, IL

#39 Mar 1, 2011
White wrote:
Good go ahead and Strike, we could care less. I cant wait to scab into your job. Ive been out of work for six months, thank you.
And u work for a week at $7 an hour then we come back replace you.
UAW

Pana, IL

#40 Mar 1, 2011
I love what i make an hour but I hate my insurance. The wife and i are wanting to have a baby but our insurance covers nothing. So for all the doctor visits birth will not be covered o insurance and will be straight out of pocket. After the child is born cat now says that they will only cover me. Not my wife or child.

Does that sound fair.

The union is strong. SOLIDARITY
Liar

Canton, IL

#41 Mar 2, 2011
UAW wrote:
I love what i make an hour but I hate my insurance. The wife and i are wanting to have a baby but our insurance covers nothing. So for all the doctor visits birth will not be covered o insurance and will be straight out of pocket. After the child is born cat now says that they will only cover me. Not my wife or child.
Does that sound fair.
The union is strong. SOLIDARITY
I work at Cat in East Peoria, and you sir.. are a liar. The union is not strong. They argue among themselves and often snitch on each other to earn 'brownie points' with their section managers.

As far as our insurance goes, again, you sir are a liar. If you are in the PPE insurance group then AFTER your deductible is met Cat insurance will cover office visits at 80/20.

Why get on here and tell obvious lies ?
You weak simpleton.
UAW

Pana, IL

#42 Mar 2, 2011
1. I live 70 miles from work. They cover nothing. No I will not move I own my house at 28.

2. Peoria Union you are correct they aren't strong. I work in Decatur. 6 years ago it was Peoria that voted the current contract in. Decatur did a 100% no vote.

3. Why must you call someone you have never met names. Do everyone a favor and grow up.

I don't need to lie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illinois lottery scam? (Feb '10) Fri Butchieboy 219
robbing a bank to pay another bank and the henc... Oct 17 r getting paid an... 1
News Pawar picks Cairo mayor as running mate Oct 12 over here 7
dcfs tearing apart familie (Mar '06) Oct 11 Hannah Gibson 1,322
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) Oct 3 ABC 52,051
News Ill. state employee union calls on Legislature ... (Jan '10) Oct 1 C Kersey 2
News Morning Spin: How Rauner signing abortion bill ... Oct 1 Le Jimbo 1
More from around the web