Red-light cameras in Schaumburg screech to a halt

Full story: Chicago Tribune

When Schaumburg and RedSpeed Illinois announced their intention to install red-light cameras in the village last September, both parties hoped it would be a long-term commitment -- producing safer intersections, with an added bonus of much-needed money.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of402
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
say what

Hillsboro, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 14, 2009
 
Hoffman Estates, you're next. You ain't gonna pay for Searscentre with those revenues.
The Count

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 14, 2009
 
Every ticket is a vote lost for the powers that be... how about a Dumba$$ Camera? Every time a politician says something stupid they get fined $100. That should balance the budget quite quickly.

Since: Feb 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 14, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Ahh, the spineless politicians cave to the whining masses yet again.
amanda

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 14, 2009
 
I received a ticket last month for this camera right on red thing on my way through West Chicago. Such a bogus ticket, has nothing to do with safety only money. I never speed, and haven't received a "real" ticket in my 20 years of driving. The only thing this ticket did was make me angry and deter me from any traveling through or around West Chicago.
Brian Costin

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 14, 2009
 
The Village Board of Schaumburg was completely negligent from the start on this red light camera program.

They did not even investigate weather or not the intersection they were proposing the camera for had a red light running problem. Also, I presented the Village Board 9 scientific studies, Sept. 23, 2008 back before the cameras were put up, showing red light cameras actually increase accidents. They did not care.

see http://www.schaumburgfreedom.com/features/sch... for verification.

When I confronted the Village board with these new statistics showing that the intersection never had a safety problem in the first place and asked them why they installed the camera, the Village Attorney Jack Siegel told the Village Board not to answer the question because of pending litigation against the city.

They also refused to answer the question if they planned on reimbursing the 10,000 motorists who got tickets from this scam red light camera intersection.

For those interested in defeating red light cameras in your home town visit http://www.schaumburgfreedom.com to see how we did it in less than 9 months.

Hint: the Village Board only changed their minds because of the public outcry by citizens and businesses.

I hope you can do the same in your hometown.
Spector

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 14, 2009
 
Yeah "it was all about safety." BULLSH-T!

Oh wait, I guess that's why the cameras are set up all over Chicago.... If Mayor Daley and the County Board truly gave a damn about safety, Chicago would have installed green Left-turn arrows on most of its major intersections decades ago! When you let a machine act as a policeman, and the private company running the electric policeman is too damn cheap and lazy to actually review each and every ticket generated, as it is legally SUPPOSED TO!, something is SERIOUSLY wrong -- and those tickets generated should be thrown out!

And worse, what good is a traffic camera to "improve safety" when the road signage for those cameras are essentially invisible and/or so cryptic or located so close to a crossing as to be considered intentionally designed to confuse motorists?

Perchance....
"Dr. Strangelove:'Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world, Eh?
"Ambassador de Sadesky:'It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises.'

Exactly.
RegularGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 14, 2009
 
At least their Redspeed contract had a 'Sanity Clause' in it.

No, wait, everyone knows there's no such thing as 'Sanity Clause.'
Spector

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 14, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

NIUHuskie wrote:
Ahh, the spineless politicians cave to the whining masses yet again.
You mean the citizens? The people who make up this country and serve in the military and on juries? The folks who allow the politicians to exist in office? The employers of the politicians? Those people?
Stop the SCAM

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 14, 2009
 
NIUHuskie wrote:
Ahh, the spineless politicians cave to the whining masses yet again.
There must be truth in the whining...you obviously like to pay a fine for something that you didn't do anything to deserve...or you nevermind---you don't drive
Pearl

Saint Charles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 14, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I'm in shock. Did common sense actually prevail? Kane County Sheriff Perez wants to install cameras. What a racket.
Xm Radio 202

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 14, 2009
 
And I will now order everything I need on Ebay and not run out to stores, thus avoiding having to pay any sales tax so that is depleted revenue from your coffers. Ha Ha!

Since: Jan 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 14, 2009
 
The 9 studies that I originally presented to the Schaumburg Village board and Mayor Al Larson on Sept 23, 2008 can be found here.

http://www.schaumburgfreedom.com/public-safet...
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 14, 2009
 
Brian Costin wrote:
The Village Board of Schaumburg was completely negligent from the start on this red light camera program.
They did not even investigate weather or not the intersection they were proposing the camera for had a red light running problem. Also, I presented the Village Board 9 scientific studies, Sept. 23, 2008 back before the cameras were put up, showing red light cameras actually increase accidents. They did not care.
see http://www.schaumburgfreedom.com/features/sch... for verification.
When I confronted the Village board with these new statistics showing that the intersection never had a safety problem in the first place and asked them why they installed the camera, the Village Attorney Jack Siegel told the Village Board not to answer the question because of pending litigation against the city.
They also refused to answer the question if they planned on reimbursing the 10,000 motorists who got tickets from this scam red light camera intersection.
For those interested in defeating red light cameras in your home town visit http://www.schaumburgfreedom.com to see how we did it in less than 9 months.
Hint: the Village Board only changed their minds because of the public outcry by citizens and businesses.
I hope you can do the same in your hometown.
There is a class action lawsuit where I live re: citations received due to the red light cameras. I believe the suit was brought because the owners of the vehicles were receiving the citations and it could not be proved that the owner was driving the car at the time it was caught by the cameras. It was reported at one time that all revenue collected would be refunded to those who received a red light citation.

Those who received tickets in Schaumburg should also file a class action suit to get their money refunded.
Red light district

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 14, 2009
 
The Count wrote:
Every ticket is a vote lost for the powers that be... how about a Dumba$$ Camera? Every time a politician says something stupid they get fined $100. That should balance the budget quite quickly.
The problem is it started in Chicago with Daley...and he said it was raking in millions of revenue for the city because of the horrible drivers. Then the stupid suburb village idiots (i.e. Elk Grove) followed.

I hope the suburbs do the opposite of what ever Daley does - he is a possessed crazed freak.
Concerned

Elmwood Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 14, 2009
 
I have written this in other blogs before with out an answer or opinion...

Has anyone ever considered taking the red light camera laws to a higher court to see if they are constitutional? Probably not since it would be a costly endeavor and us sheeple will just pay our $100.00 and whine about it! It would be an interesting concept though. Any thoughts?

The more and more information that comes out about the main company in Illinois (Redspeed) that run these cameras, the more shady the deal seems.

Since: Feb 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 14, 2009
 
Spector wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the citizens? The people who make up this country and serve in the military and on juries? The folks who allow the politicians to exist in office? The employers of the politicians? Those people?
Yes, those same people who are also obligated to follow the laws of the land, yet continually choose not to, and then whine about getting tickets.
Will County

Danville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 14, 2009
 
All this is is just villages/cities not wanting to raise taxes
Concerned

Elmwood Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 14, 2009
 
Another important issue with this cameras is that the facts seem to bear out that the vast majority of tickets are issued for right turns made without a full stop. The studies indicated in the story also seem to suggest that these types of turns only cause a small number of accidents. This could be true even if a full stop were made.

It is notable that Redspeed seems to believe that it would be too much work for them to separate right turns from left turns on red and red light (straight away) transgressions. Now if they are really reviewing the photos and films as they are supposed to, then why can't they make the distinction? The answer is simple. They don't want to because they operate on the premise of volume which translates into more cash. It is a no-brainer!!

Since: Feb 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 14, 2009
 
Stop the SCAM wrote:
<quoted text>
There must be truth in the whining...you obviously like to pay a fine for something that you didn't do anything to deserve...or you nevermind---you don't drive
Yes, there is truth in the whining. The truth is, there are a lot of whiners in the world. I'm tired of hearing about how people got tickets that they didn't deserve. I find it very hard to believe. Naperville is a red-light camera city and I regularly drive through those intersections and have never gotten a ticket. The city of Chicago also has plenty of cameras and I've never gotten a ticket there either. The people who must not drive are the ones who don't think that people running red lights is a problem. Red light cameras are not about revenue until you run a red light.

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jul 14, 2009
 
amanda wrote:
I received a ticket last month for this camera right on red thing on my way through West Chicago. Such a bogus ticket, has nothing to do with safety only money. I never speed, and haven't received a "real" ticket in my 20 years of driving. The only thing this ticket did was make me angry and deter me from any traveling through or around West Chicago.
I avoid the cameras, I do not make turns by the cams, 1 second will mistake will cost me $137 before taxes are taken out from my paycheck, if im to fight it will cost more, parking, day off work and all the bs

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of402
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Illinois Forum right now

Search the Illinois Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 30 min The Troll Stopper 48,695
Illinois lottery scam? (Feb '10) 59 min Jean 129
GOP Senator Demands Criminal Background Checks ... 1 hr wild child 1
Psychologists Could Write Prescriptions 3 hr humanSpirit 4
Where can I find K2 Spice, Spice Gold, or Pulse... (Mar '10) 9 hr jjboyo 60
The Fed wants to dump illegals in many states. 14 hr Bob Rooney 1
Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Fri newpoly 1,830
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••