Land of Lincoln

This is the Land of Lincoln. We know that because in Illinois, his name is on license plates, street signs, restaurants, dry cleaners, churches, mugs, marbles, banks, back scratchers and, of course, giant ... Full Story
John

Anchor, IL

#1 Jun 5, 2007
Great journey through the Land of Lincoln. But it needs updated to coincide with the bicentennial in 09.

“KANKA ALFRED”

Since: Jan 07

London,UK

#4 Jun 10, 2007
Fascinating
did i find Chicage when i sah it first from Greyhound by Arrival from Kankakee
Mark

Cicero, IL

#5 Jun 11, 2007
Illinois *is* the Land of Satan!!! Nowhere in North America are locals more hostile, full of hatred towards non locals, or more proud to be corrupted and refuse services for people with disabilities than in Illinois!

“I just hate stupid people”

Since: Apr 07

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#6 Jun 11, 2007
mayday wrote:
Land of lincoln!?? Illinoisans are the most socially hostile people, as well as the most proudly corrupted politicians in the entire united states! from my point of view, Illinois is the Land of Satan!
i am a born and bred deep southern illinois native. "little egypt" as we call it is the only decent part of illinois.

“*Bump* for Options.”

Since: May 07

Kenilworth

#7 Jun 12, 2007
We are socially hostile? That's why people come from all over the world to visit Chicago. As for politicians, they are all corrupt! Don't be so naive. There are many people (men and women) with Autism living in the northern region of Illinois. The ones I know are as happy as anyone else living anywhere in the United States. SIR LANCELOT, get off your soap box. I had so much respect for you until you turned a slightly hostile attitude toward the north into hate. I was supporting you, because I understand you wanting to preserve your way of life down south. I can respect that. But you don't respect my way of life, and I can't get behind someone like that.

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#8 Jun 12, 2007
Prin wrote:
We are socially hostile? That's why people come from all over the world to visit Chicago. As for politicians, they are all corrupt! Don't be so naive. There are many people (men and women) with Autism living in the northern region of Illinois. The ones I know are as happy as anyone else living anywhere in the United States. SIR LANCELOT, get off your soap box. I had so much respect for you until you turned a slightly hostile attitude toward the north into hate. I was supporting you, because I understand you wanting to preserve your way of life down south. I can respect that. But you don't respect my way of life, and I can't get behind someone like that.
i am not on a soapbox,i am concerned about little egypt being turned into another branson mo,hilton head sc or lake havasu city ca. why can one place not be left alone. we don't want change here. it's natural,wild and everybody does pretty much know everyboby else. i have traveled all over america,and believe me,there are not a lot of places left that are unchanged. i have seen some of the plans they have in mind,resorts,more parks,hotels,freeways,malls etc. yeah it brings in money,but it also brings in crime,traffic,endless street lights and on and on. if that is the lifestyle some people want,that's ok with me. i have nothing against northern illinois,i have family up there,have been to the chicago area more than you can count,i just don't want the remoteness i have grew up around,turned into a disneyland. i can travel 15 minutes from town and be in total wilderness,no people,no houses,no stores,no stoplights etc. i invite people all the time to come see it as it is. move here if you desire,just don't expect us to change our thinking. you may be surprised about what i'm talking about.

“*Bump* for Options.”

Kenilworth

#9 Jun 13, 2007
"is the only decent part of illinois." - you said this. It's not true. You are saying things to this tune a lot. I don't like it. You want to preserve your way of life, I respect that and I've said so. But, don't disrespect other walks of life because it isn't yours. It doesn't make your points any more valid, it just causes you to lose support.

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#12 Jun 14, 2007
Marlene Ashby wrote:
<quoted text>
Nerdy punks like him are NEVER to be respected! I had this rat bastard asshole in my Spring 2006 Floral Design class and he was bugging my students for their dog gone phone numbers on the last day of class! I don't care one single bit; Autistic men need to be destroyed and eradicated from society!
better get your facts straight. i am a business owner,not a school student. people like you are either living off of daddys money or the public dole. i grew up dirt poor,the son of a coalminer,built a very successful business. as for your phone#,should have gave it to whoever wanted it. probably the only chance you'll get.
Derek Vineyard

AOL

#13 Jun 15, 2007
Marlene Ashby wrote:
<quoted text>
Nerdy punks like him are NEVER to be respected! I had this rat bastard asshole in my Spring 2006 Floral Design class and he was bugging my students for their dog gone phone numbers on the last day of class! I don't care one single bit; Autistic men need to be destroyed and eradicated from society!
I hope you get attacked and violated by a gaggle of waterheads you stupid hizzo.
Bob Weir

Aurora, IL

#15 Jun 18, 2007
Marlene will lose her job at COllege of Dupage for this pathetic display of prejudice.
Cicero is not corrupt

Romeoville, IL

#16 Jun 18, 2007
Corrupt ? Us ? Ha ! Daley's like the hooker with a heart of gold .. a little corruption isn't so bad . And we aren't hate mongers ... You shouldnt judge an entire state on one incident of prejudice . Have you not been to the South ? I've been called a yankee more times than I care to remember .. But those damn people are so lovable . And again , let's talk about the deep south & it's judicial system ... I've met a few slick , southern men who's idea of corruption would make Daley blush ... But I don't base my entire opinion of south of the mason dixon on a few southern excursions .( Louisianna , New Orleans .. hello ?????) I love this state & it's politics . We're colorful & fun , to boot ! Besides , we're the land of construction .. not corruption . Get it right !!

“*Bump* for Options.”

Kenilworth

#19 Jul 25, 2007
I hate you Marlene... quit messing up the posts! It's hard enough to stick to a topic with everyone making all these points and voicing valid ideas without you making everything about autistic men and people with disabilities and COD and Floral Design. Just once, could you make a valid point in a thread on the topic of the thread? You might just like it!
MAGNET

Troy, IL

#20 Oct 3, 2010
SIR LANCELOT wrote:
<quoted text>i am a born and bred deep southern illinois native. "little egypt" as we call it is the only decent part of illinois.
Read "MURDER IN LITTLE EGYPT" by Darcy O'Brien. It's a true crime story about a local "Little Egypt" family doctor. See if you still feel as warm and fuzzy about your neck of the woods after you finish it. Little Egypt was also a favorite area for several organized crime figures to hideout, dating back to the 1920's-1930's. We all have our skeletons.
MAGNET

Troy, IL

#21 Oct 3, 2010
SIR LANCELOT wrote:
<quoted text>i am a born and bred deep southern illinois native. "little egypt" as we call it is the only decent part of illinois.
Aside from Little Egypt's notorious history, I still think it is one of the most beautiful areas in the midwest. It's one of Illinois' best kept secrets. Kinda like our law-abiding governors.

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#22 Oct 3, 2010
MAGNET wrote:
<quoted text>Read "MURDER IN LITTLE EGYPT" by Darcy O'Brien. It's a true crime story about a local "Little Egypt" family doctor. See if you still feel as warm and fuzzy about your neck of the woods after you finish it. Little Egypt was also a favorite area for several organized crime figures to hideout, dating back to the 1920's-1930's. We all have our skeletons.
I knew Dr. Cavaness, and yes he was every bit as mean as the book says. He enjoyed fighting and wouldnt hesitate hurting somebody, and he was a good doctor. I have lived my entire life in "little Egypt" and although i have traveled just about everywhere a man can go, i would never leave here. It's a place all it's own. Some of the gangsters were Charlie Birger, probably the most famous, and the Shelton Brothers. A lot of people dont know it, but slavery was legal here too.
MAGNET

Troy, IL

#23 Oct 3, 2010
SIR LANCELOT wrote:
<quoted text>I knew Dr. Cavaness, and yes he was every bit as mean as the book says. He enjoyed fighting and wouldnt hesitate hurting somebody, and he was a good doctor. I have lived my entire life in "little Egypt" and although i have traveled just about everywhere a man can go, i would never leave here. It's a place all it's own. Some of the gangsters were Charlie Birger, probably the most famous, and the Shelton Brothers. A lot of people dont know it, but slavery was legal here too.
I read the book about 25 years ago. I couldn't put it down. That part of the state intrigues me. I enjoy the outdoors and have taken my wife with me to the region numerous times. The Shawnee National Forest, Crab Orchard, Garden of the Gods.... I could go on and on. We hope some day to maybe retire down there. We currently live in East Central Illinois. Just as pretty, but not on such a grand scale. You are very fortunate.

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#24 Oct 3, 2010
MAGNET wrote:
<quoted text> I read the book about 25 years ago. I couldn't put it down. That part of the state intrigues me. I enjoy the outdoors and have taken my wife with me to the region numerous times. The Shawnee National Forest, Crab Orchard, Garden of the Gods.... I could go on and on. We hope some day to maybe retire down there. We currently live in East Central Illinois. Just as pretty, but not on such a grand scale. You are very fortunate.
Yes it is a nice place with very little crime and a great outdoors. Alot of people from up north and Chicago are moving in, the country store at Ozark is run by a couple from Chicago, very nice people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr FriendofKanka 49,941
Lawmaker wants pumpkin to be official Illinois pie 18 hr maxcat 1
whats up Sat frazzled 1
Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Sep 20 Blwlgo 1,930
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) Sep 20 L for loser 7,563
Kadner: Company seeks to open marijuana store i... Sep 19 Ex Smart Guy 5
dcfs tearing apart familie (Mar '06) Sep 18 FalselyAccused36 1,289
•••

Illinois People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••