Southern Illinois secession movement

Southern Illinois secession movement

There are 6 comments on the WBBM-AM Chicago story from Jun 14, 2009, titled Southern Illinois secession movement. In it, WBBM-AM Chicago reports that:

Alex Degman, Illinois Radio News/WBBM Reporting It started with a Facebook group "Southern Illinois Should Be Its Own State." It now has more than 800 members, which partially prompted SIU Carbondale student Greg Stover to set up a meeting to get the ball rolling.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBBM-AM Chicago.

Mary

Peoria, IL

#1 Jun 14, 2009
Can Peoria come too?

Since: Feb 09

Flora, IL

#2 Jun 14, 2009
This comes up every few years. We Southern Illinoisans are a stubborn bunch that have never been happy politically with the rest of the State, and especially not happy with Chicago. Add in a unique culture, and the rumbling the secessionism start every time the State government does anything.

I disagree with "Wayne County south" though, that cuts out a significant part of what's historically part of Southern Illinois...including my county.
Peorian

Peoria, IL

#3 May 23, 2010
I agree, I'd like to see Peoria Countyseparated from Chicago.
Jim Turner

Peoria, IL

#4 Jun 27, 2011
I'm originally from Fayette county and still have ground there. I would like to see as much of Illinois that wants to split off from Chicago and the burbs split off. They say that what split off would be like Kansas or Iowa, fine with me. Lower taxes, a business friendly attitude, far less corruption, and concealed carry are what we would end up with. Chicago on the other hand would end up like Detroit and we would have to build a wall around it to keep from spilling out.
Remember Waco

United States

#5 Nov 14, 2012
The Secession movement is taking off nation wide. I can't wait to be rid of all the Obamunists and parasites from Chicago.

Since: Nov 13

Glen Carbon, IL

#7 Nov 22, 2013
Southern Illinois, "The Great Rivers State", would go along county lines Adams, Brown, Morgan, Macoupin, Montgomery, Shelby, Moultrie, Douglas and Edgar. Captiol in Mt. Vernon on IL Rt. 15 on east side of toen near airport.
With .60 cents out of every dollar in state taxes supporting NI (northern Illinois) we'll have great schools and roads. Attract business in an area nearly void of corruption.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Girl Scouts join fight over bridge named for se... 45 min Red Crosse 85
Election Who's got your vote in the Illinois State Compt... (Oct '14) 4 hr Kiddo 7
News Former Hells Angels Leader Sentenced (Nov '06) Fri Reverend Pete Ham... 271
Election Who's got your vote in the Illinois Senate race? (Oct '14) Fri A Serial Killer 15
News Members of Haitian community react to Trump's c... Jan 18 spud 374
Illinois wants religious laws? Jan 10 TheThirdAngel144 1
News Illinois woman helps sick children after losing... Jan 8 Lance 1
More from around the web