Colin Powell to Romney on Foreign Policy: 'Come on, Mitt, Think'

There are 20 comments on the May 23, 2012, www.theatlantic.com story titled Colin Powell to Romney on Foreign Policy: 'Come on, Mitt, Think'. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell had some tough words for Mitt Romney's foreign-policy positions on Wednesday, saying that calling Russia the U.S.'s the No.1 enemy.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell had some tough words for Mitt Romney's foreign-policy positions on Wednesday, saying that calling Russia the U.S.'s the No. 1 geopolitical foe was wrong.

"Come on, Mitt, think," he said on MSNBC's Morning Joe. "That isn't the case." He continued saying that the foreign affairs community has been taken aback by some of the presumptive Republican nominee's positions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#22 May 23, 2012
rugby's foreign policy experience only consists of his brainwashed daddy's rants about Americans buying foreign-made cars.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#23 May 23, 2012
Sec. Panetta said this Administration of which he is a part of,is HOLLOWING OUT OUR MILITARY...and it will not happen on his watch...This man has a trace of love of country...not so NUMBNUTS

Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong.
Ronald Reagan

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#24 May 23, 2012
CHECK SIX wrote:
Sec. Panetta said this Administration of which he is a part of,is HOLLOWING OUT OUR MILITARY...and it will not happen on his watch...This man has a trace of love of country...not so NUMBNUTS
Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong.
Ronald Reagan
Your Ronald Reagan quote suggests that the four wars in his lifetime came about because the U.S. was too weak. That is not only utter gibberish, but it is an apt relection of Ronald Reagan's "wisdom". And your use of that quote is a sad reflection of yours.

Location hidden

#25 May 23, 2012
reflection, that is. Pay attention.
Barry Akaka II

Fishers, IN

#26 May 23, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
Mitt Romney should consult Sarah Palin on foreign policy.
Collin Powel, John Mckan,n John Karry is 3some 4neraffair!!!;-00h, Mit wanna 4some!!;-00
Barry Akaka II

Fishers, IN

#27 May 23, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
reflection, that is. Pay attention.
the V.Congress are trap in the Tonkin Gulf of Gay...U can C nu clear dat all em coming out soooooooon;-000
Barry Akaka II

Fishers, IN

#28 May 23, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
General Powell, like Admiral Dewey, is superior at following orders. Hisrise would only illustrate the Peter Principle.
But, Powell let the GW Bushites make a simpering fool of him by putting lies in his mouth at the UN claiming Iraq had nuclear and mass destruction capabilities.
One fooled and jerked about by the former Marxist lying-neo-conservatives is too guiless to be president.
dr. Bill_mr! all of em coming out now!!;) just Obey2daEmper ok;)
Barry Akaka II

Fishers, IN

#29 May 23, 2012
carey529 wrote:
as opposed to obama's foreign policy?
come on colin, think!
you bolted from a bad administration and embraced a worse administration...
your take on anything has larry wolf-like creds!
but all that matters is, the msm can use you.
and, they do.

John Kerry sleep wit Collin on da swift boat!!!!;-000
Cat74

United States

#30 May 23, 2012
Colin Powell is an Obama backer. He is not to be taken serious where Republican ideas are being discussed. We don't need him or his advise.
Barry Akaka II

Fishers, IN

#31 May 23, 2012
Cat74 wrote:
Colin Powell is an Obama backer. He is not to be taken serious where Republican ideas are being discussed. We don't need him or his advise.
Who"s we!!!!!!;)
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#32 May 23, 2012
Guess that uppity Colin will not be VP. There's still CONDI! A BLACK Christian WOMAN on the ticket would definitely help Bishop Rmoney in the general election and EVERYONE LOVES CONDI.

Location hidden

#33 May 23, 2012
Makes sense wrote:
Guess that uppity Colin will not be VP. There's still CONDI! A BLACK Christian WOMAN on the ticket would definitely help Bishop Rmoney in the general election and EVERYONE LOVES CONDI.
Mitt had the Condoleeeza Rice on his recent visit to a local Chinese restaurant. Now it's an hour later and he's hungry again.
Cat74

United States

#34 May 23, 2012
There will not be a woman on the Republican ticket. No more experiments. We can run Condi as President in 2020 after we straighten out our finances, and immigration, and unemployment.

Since: Sep 08

Placitas, NM

#35 May 23, 2012
Powell wouldn't buy Hannit's BULLSH!T.

During an interview with Powell on his Fox News show, Hannity said that he finds Obama to be "one of the most divisive figures in -- that I've witnessed in politics today."

Powell responded: "[T]hat's a term that's being used rather freely. I don't think he's that divisive an issue." Powell then asked, "What could have been more divisive than, when President Obama was inaugurated, for a number of Republicans, friends of mine, and a number of commentators to say,'We're going to destroy him. We're going to destroy him'?"
Hannity replied: "I was one of his harshest critics.

I wasn't out to destroy him." Hannity also asserted: "Well, I was critical about Bill Ayers and Reverend Wright." Powell responded: "I don't know Bill Ayers from the man in the moon. Bill Ayers and Reverend Wright are just passing things through [Obama's] life." Hannity then said that Obama spent "20 years" in Wright's church, to which Powell responded: "Well, so?"

Hannity then pressed Powell on Ayers once more, asking, "An unrepentant terrorist giving speeches, starting your political career in his house. That didn't impress you at all?"

Powell again pointed out that Ayers is and has been a non-issue, saying: "At the time,[Obama] was a guy who was living in Chicago and happened to have a friend by the name of Bill Ayers. But I don't see Bill Ayers as having that kind of longstanding terrorist influence on the president. I mean, it's ancient history now. Why are we fooling with this?"

Powell later said that despite people trying "to make" Wright "the defining issue of the 2008 campaign" and "all the attacks" on Obama over Wright, "the American people took it in stride and they elected [Obama] president."
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201205230002
Cat74

United States

#36 May 23, 2012
Powell doesn't know what he doing. Yesterday he said he couldn't endorse the President this time as he did in 2008. Today he is defending him like a long lost brother. He was a terrible military man, an Affirmative Action General, like Obama is an Affirmative Action President.
Stu

Philadelphia, PA

#37 May 24, 2012
Russians are great people. Military creeps like Colin Powell stink

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#38 May 24, 2012
PlacitasRoy wrote:
Powell wouldn't buy Hannit's BULLSH!T.
During an interview with Powell on his Fox News show, Hannity said that he finds Obama to be "one of the most divisive figures in -- that I've witnessed in politics today."
Powell responded: "[T]hat's a term that's being used rather freely. I don't think he's that divisive an issue." Powell then asked, "What could have been more divisive than, when President Obama was inaugurated, for a number of Republicans, friends of mine, and a number of commentators to say,'We're going to destroy him. We're going to destroy him'?"
Hannity replied: "I was one of his harshest critics.
I wasn't out to destroy him." Hannity also asserted: "Well, I was critical about Bill Ayers and Reverend Wright." Powell responded: "I don't know Bill Ayers from the man in the moon. Bill Ayers and Reverend Wright are just passing things through [Obama's] life." Hannity then said that Obama spent "20 years" in Wright's church, to which Powell responded: "Well, so?"
Hannity then pressed Powell on Ayers once more, asking, "An unrepentant terrorist giving speeches, starting your political career in his house. That didn't impress you at all?"
Powell again pointed out that Ayers is and has been a non-issue, saying: "At the time,[Obama] was a guy who was living in Chicago and happened to have a friend by the name of Bill Ayers. But I don't see Bill Ayers as having that kind of longstanding terrorist influence on the president. I mean, it's ancient history now. Why are we fooling with this?"
Powell later said that despite people trying "to make" Wright "the defining issue of the 2008 campaign" and "all the attacks" on Obama over Wright, "the American people took it in stride and they elected [Obama] president."
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201205230002
Glad to see Hannity got his stupid ass handed to him. Way to go, Colin!!

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#39 May 24, 2012
Makes sense wrote:
Rice wouild have to answer questions about her terrific failure to stop the terrible murders at the World Trade Center on Septmber 11. 2001.

Rice had the information to stop the polt on her desk; and she dropped the ball.
No thanks to incompetants, She would sink Mitt.

Better: Gov Christie, or Sen. Snow.

Since: Sep 08

Placitas, NM

#40 May 24, 2012
PayThat CEO wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to see Hannity got his stupid ass handed to him. Way to go, Colin!!
But you can count on the Fox Freaks to LIE about it.

SURVEY: NPR’S LISTENERS BEST-INFORMED, FOX VIEWERS WORST-INFORMED

People who watch no news at all can answer more questions about international current events than people who watch cable news, a survey by Fairleigh Dickinson University’s PublicMind finds.

NPR and Sunday morning political talk shows are the most informative news outlets, while exposure to partisan sources, such as Fox News and MSNBC, has a negative impact on people’s current events knowledge.

People who watch MSNBC and CNN exclusively can answer more questions about domestic events than people who watch no news at all.

PEOPLE WHO ONLY WATCH FOX DID MUCH WORSE. NPR listeners answered more questions correctly than people in any other category....
The report explains:

The largest effect is that of Fox News: all else being equal, someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer just 1.04 domestic questions correctly — a figure which is significantly worse than if they had reported watching no media at all. On the other hand, if they listened only to NPR, they would be expected to answer 1.51 questions correctly; viewers of Sunday morning talk shows fare similarly well. And people watching only The Daily Show with Jon Stewart could answer about 1.42 questions correctly.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/...

“Lying for the Lord”

Since: May 12

Heartland USA

#41 May 24, 2012
"This president went before the United Nations and castigated Israel for building settlements. He said nothing about thousands of rockets being rained in on Israel from the Gaza Strip."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner Cuts Funds For Indig... Apr 11 Matt Kennedy 1
News Illinois Spearheads States' Rebellion Against I... Apr 9 tomin cali 5
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) Apr 9 KankaFred 51,757
News Emanuel's re-election present: Chicago's fiscal... Apr 9 Butters 6
News AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) Apr 8 Corrupt Union Bosses 7,566
News Rauner says he'll use 'leverage' of money woes ... Apr 7 Sterkfontein Swar... 2
News Pence: 'Not going to change' religious freedom law Apr 2 Sneaky Pete 55
More from around the web