Tollway Chairman John Mitola denies p...

Tollway Chairman John Mitola denies pressure from Rod Blagojevi...

There are 22 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 19, 2008, titled Tollway Chairman John Mitola denies pressure from Rod Blagojevi.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Stung by "pay-to-play" allegations against Gov. Rod Blagojevich , Illinois tollway officials Thursday denied politics factored in developing a $1.8 billion road program.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lib trib

Naperville, IL

#1 Dec 19, 2008
there is no need for "green " lanes. stupid, stupid.
2012Cant wait

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Dec 19, 2008
Blago solicits money from a specific contractor who has not yet gone through the bidding process and won. Right. Little Johnny here is lying if he says he isn't involved. He probably wasn't pressured by Blago because he is getting his own cut. Bids are easy to rig in order to pre-select a winner and that is the only way someone would pay a bribe so far in advance of the project. The entire toll authority is corrupt and it is obvious by the poor job being done on the "new" roads being built. What maroon is signing off on these rumble strip roads?
mike

New York, NY

#3 Dec 19, 2008
give me a break. Rezko got his Panda Expresses in every toll oasis. So everytime you buy something there, you are giving him money. Jack Hartman is one of the biggest pay to play guys out there. The Feds have visited Hartman several times and maybe now the pieces of the puzzle will come together. He ran the CTA construction which dolled out million to firends of Daley. None of that work made the trains run faster, stations safer or the system run on schedule. After that give away, he ran the tollway rebuilding and all of those contracts. If I remember right, governor hairdo said he would get rid of the tollway when he ran. Instead he milked it like a cash cow for all the fund raising he could get.
jay_lockport

Carol Stream, IL

#4 Dec 19, 2008
In spite thousands of people opposing these green lanes these guys rammed this through.
This was done without any analysis how taking an existing lane and converting that to carpool lane will reduce congestion.
Car pool lanes don't work, they increase congestion, increase accidents because people will have to move from carpool lane to heavily congested exits and finally slows down traffic because left most lane is no longer a fast lane.

Blago knows he is a goner in 2010 so he wants to milk it to the max.
Maori

Chicago, IL

#5 Dec 19, 2008
Mitola was formerly at Com Ed, moved on to become CEO of Electric City Corp of Elk Grove and was then appointed by Blago in 2003 to the Tollway board. So he's been chummy for 5 years with our crooked Governor, and "don't know nuttin".

One look at this guy gives me the creeps.

We'll see how this story plays out, or rather pays out.
u gotta be kidding

Hoffman Estates, IL

#6 Dec 19, 2008
Of course he would not incriminate himself.

Stop the green lanes! It's theft of service.
Brain McPartlin

Lemont, IL

#7 Dec 19, 2008
John Mitolla approved every no-bid contract I handed out to Blago's buddies.

At least Jeff Dailey was man enough to resign when faced with committing criminal acts on orders from "above".

And by the way, Maori, Mitolla's company went bankrupt.

Brian McPartlin
former Executuve Director
Illinois Tollway
oberwies milk

Westchester, IL

#8 Dec 19, 2008
jay_lockport wrote:
In spite thousands of people opposing these green lanes these guys rammed this through.
This was done without any analysis how taking an existing lane and converting that to carpool lane will reduce congestion.
Car pool lanes don't work, they increase congestion, increase accidents because people will have to move from carpool lane to heavily congested exits and finally slows down traffic because left most lane is no longer a fast lane.
Blago knows he is a goner in 2010 so he wants to milk it to the max.
it sounds like blago was milking all industries. and if anybody knows about milk, its me. this guy has that look, like his wife left him for another man, which she probably did. he also looks like he paid way more, than he ever got back in salary. that look like enron bankrupt, what are you talking about?
Darkwater

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 19, 2008
Wonder if Mitolla has a bridge to sell today? Geez, if your going to lie put some truth into it.
RBergman

Waukegan, IL

#10 Dec 20, 2008
How old is this guy? 15?
Frank

Normal, IL

#11 Dec 20, 2008
He looks like a 12 year old dressing as Gordon Gekko for Halloween.
river forest

River Forest, IL

#13 Dec 21, 2008
Google "John Mitola" and you will find the many board director positions that he has collected since becoming Tollway's chairman. As Blago tapes so clearly demonstrate, paid "board of director" appointments are a quiet but lucrative way to accumulate cash from "pay to play" corruption. There should be a law prohibiting politicians and government agency appointees, and their wives and their children, from accepting these "board of directors" prizes.

Look at Maggie Daley, and add up all her board position compensation - likely $300,000+. Look at Michele Obama, working the system for short period of her husband's senate tenure, making $300,000 salary as "VP External Affairs" for U of Chicago Hospital. These are all examples of "pay to play" indirect compensation paid to politicians in return for favorable governmental policy and contract awards. No wonder poor Patti Blago felt "entitled" to her "share"; poor girl grew up in Mell's household. And isn't Patti sister "spouse" of Christy Weber, City of Chicago's favorite WBE landscape contractor for lucrative streetscaping maintenance and installation contracts?

There should be a widespread uprising of Cook County citizens, demanding better, non-corrupt government at the state, county, and Chicago levels. Our press, Tribune, SunTimes, and Crains, and our useless/brainless television stations, have given the corruption to little scrutiny. There should be a constant barrage of media scrutiny.

WHO CARE WHO DREW PETERSON IS DATING!
Hal Lancaster-Rivers ideIL

Westchester, IL

#14 Dec 21, 2008
river forest wrote:
Google "John Mitola" and you will find the many board director positions that he has collected since becoming Tollway's chairman. As Blago tapes so clearly demonstrate, paid "board of director" appointments are a quiet but lucrative way to accumulate cash from "pay to play" corruption. There should be a law prohibiting politicians and government agency appointees, and their wives and their children, from accepting these "board of directors" prizes.
Look at Maggie Daley, and add up all her board position compensation - likely $300,000+. Look at Michele Obama, working the system for short period of her husband's senate tenure, making $300,000 salary as "VP External Affairs" for U of Chicago Hospital. These are all examples of "pay to play" indirect compensation paid to politicians in return for favorable governmental policy and contract awards. No wonder poor Patti Blago felt "entitled" to her "share"; poor girl grew up in Mell's household. And isn't Patti sister "spouse" of Christy Weber, City of Chicago's favorite WBE landscape contractor for lucrative streetscaping maintenance and installation contracts?
There should be a widespread uprising of Cook County citizens, demanding better, non-corrupt government at the state, county, and Chicago levels. Our press, Tribune, SunTimes, and Crains, and our useless/brainless television stations, have given the corruption to little scrutiny. There should be a constant barrage of media scrutiny.
WHO CARE WHO DREW PETERSON IS DATING!
finally someone who knows what they are talking about.
Mayor Daley

Country Club Hills, IL

#15 Dec 22, 2008
Nothing to see here...business as usual move along now....
An Opinion

North Chicago, IL

#16 Jan 16, 2009
Frank wrote:
He looks like a 12 year old dressing as Gordon Gekko for Halloween.
John is a good and decent man who has respect for rules. So unless you know him, why don't you keep your nasty comments to yourself.
Darwin

United States

#17 Jan 16, 2009
So, there's nearly $2 billion dollars being spent for the tollway road program. Bridges and other highways and streets are constantly under construction to the point that traffic is gridlocked much of the time. Just what is Obama talking about when he says he's going pour a ton of money, money he doesn't have, into 'infrastructure'? To my knowledge, we're already building up our 'infrastructure'.
Mr Mean

Hammond, IN

#18 Jan 16, 2009
tar and feather this scum bag and run him and his scumbag family out of town .....in the green lanes of course
Artie

Gurnee, IL

#19 Jan 19, 2009
Is it possible that Mr Mitola was appointed to the boards he was appointed to because of his professional experience. He was the youngest Vice President at Com Ed, he was head of a publicly traded company and he is a partner in an investment banking firm. He seems to have a very impressive resume to me. He is Chairman of the Board of the Tollway, he does not run the day to day operations nor was he responsible for any of the contracts dolled out. If you take the time to read the meetings from the Tollways meetings you will see that all board members vote. There is nothing to link him to any pay to play contracts at all. John is a good and decent man. His name would have been in the papers if he were anywhere near these things that Rod has been accused of, and I have not seen his name once in association with the "Chicago way". Todays Sun-times lists all the people listed in the indictment and I did not see the name John Mitola anywhere. As Far as Electric City declaring bankruptcy I do not see the correlation to the running of the Tollway. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I remember correctly, he did not take the salary that came with the job either. So, people think a bit before you start throwing araound accusations and stupid jokes attacking a mans character. Just because you google a mans name and you see he is on some Board of Directors he is a pay to play guy. Take a look at his resume and see if he belongs on the boards or not. The problem with this country is people do not think things through anymore. People are lazy and irresponsible, and I have seen plenty of examples of it on this blog. "tar and feather this scumbag and run him and his family out of town" is rediculous and moronic. Think, think, think. If you do not like how things are run, do something about it, not make uo accusations on a blog. Get out there and make a difference loke John Mitola has. Under his leadership the Illinois Tollway Authority has become a model for the whole Country.
2012Cant wait

Chesterfield, MO

#20 Jan 20, 2009
Artie wrote:
Is it possible that Mr Mitola was appointed to the boards he was appointed to because of his professional experience. He was the youngest Vice President at Com Ed, he was head of a publicly traded company and he is a partner in an investment banking firm. He seems to have a very impressive resume to me. He is Chairman of the Board of the Tollway, he does not run the day to day operations nor was he responsible for any of the contracts dolled out. If you take the time to read the meetings from the Tollways meetings you will see that all board members vote. There is nothing to link him to any pay to play contracts at all. John is a good and decent man. His name would have been in the papers if he were anywhere near these things that Rod has been accused of, and I have not seen his name once in association with the "Chicago way". Todays Sun-times lists all the people listed in the indictment and I did not see the name John Mitola anywhere. As Far as Electric City declaring bankruptcy I do not see the correlation to the running of the Tollway. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I remember correctly, he did not take the salary that came with the job either. So, people think a bit before you start throwing araound accusations and stupid jokes attacking a mans character. Just because you google a mans name and you see he is on some Board of Directors he is a pay to play guy. Take a look at his resume and see if he belongs on the boards or not. The problem with this country is people do not think things through anymore. People are lazy and irresponsible, and I have seen plenty of examples of it on this blog. "tar and feather this **** and run him and his family out of town" is rediculous and moronic. Think, think, think. If you do not like how things are run, do something about it, not make uo accusations on a blog. Get out there and make a difference loke John Mitola has. Under his leadership the Illinois Tollway Authority has become a model for the whole Country.
I worked with Mitola at ComEd and he was a self serving, politically connected azz. He cut corners and worked the system. If decisions are being made at ITA he is well aware of them and pulling the strings. The board are a bunch of puppets. If Blago is getting campaign contributions from contractors before the contracts are let, there is pay to play and Mitola is in the middle of it. If you think that this model of corruption should be the envy of the country, you have a real problem. There is no long term planning going on, simply a perpetuation of the greed that has characterized this agency almost since its inception. One has to simply drive on the "new" surface of 294 to see that this work never should have been accepted by the Authority. It is a washboard from day one and will need to be repaired well short of its design life. That is the reality and Mitola is incompetent, corrupt or more likely both.
Artie

Gurnee, IL

#21 Jan 20, 2009
I wonder how you can make such blanket statments when you are simply making assumptions. You say you worked with Mitola at ComEd how closely did you work for him? Did you work ynder him? Where you passed over by him? ComEd is not a political agencey. Sounds to me like you may be a former disgruntled employee. Most people who are successful could be described as self-serving, or accused of cutting corners or all kinds of things from people that were jealous of them. Mitola has achieved a lot at his age and I think that might be a testament to his talent and character. If the feds had anything on him his name would have been all over the papers, and as a matter of fact they have not been. So I am reserving judgement until I am told otherwise unlike most people on this blog who rush to judgement. When I googled him all I saw were accomplishments not accusations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) Aug 16 Corrupt Collusion 7,574
News Pastors sue Illinois over gay conversion therap... Aug 12 TomInElPaso 11
News Judge denies Blagojevich's bid to lighten 14-ye... Aug 10 Kevin from Michigan 1
News Judge may cut ex-Illinois Gov. Blagojevich's pr... Aug 9 CZars_R_US 7
News Lawyers for Blagojevich resentencing due in Chi... Jul '16 Voter 1
News Illinois Democrats head to convention with Clin... Jul '16 Le Jimbo 4
News Senate rejects proposal banning lobbyist gifts (Mar '06) Jul '16 swedenforever 25
More from around the web