Crime in Davenport
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
heidi

Hesperia, MI

#22 Apr 21, 2008
hey! my husband is starting school in the summer of 09. would it be better to look for something in walking distance to the school? like pery hill ap. something like that? im just worried about his safty?
laura

United States

#23 Apr 22, 2008
mike wrote:
I'm moving to davenport sometime in january. Ive done some research online and it looks as if davenport has a pretty high crime rate. It said davenport's crime rate was 726 and the national average is 320. Over twice the national crime rate. I'm thinking it cant really be that bad can it? Anyone from davenport, I would appreciate your input.
i have lived here my whole life its not bad at all. you just need to find a good place to live
rhino

United States

#24 Jun 1, 2008
I will be visiting davenport in june for the air show at the airport. i was wondering if it would be safe to stay in a hotel on 65th st and take 74 to the airport. Any suggestions would be helpful and is there anything to do in the quad cities like recreationally or site seeing stuff? Thanks so much.
Spiderr

Bettendorf, IA

#25 Dec 5, 2008
I have lived in Davenport my whole life. I was born and raised on the East-Side of D-port, Grand Ave and i know for a fact that Davenport is a very rough place to grow up. I have been shot and stabed myself. and i have lost a lot of loved ones in these QC streets. The steets hold Gang,Drugs, prostitution, and many other things. the police realy dont care about the "bad areas" of davenport (EAST side,west side,downtown, or west end areas) This state is not all about "corn". The ghettos and hoods here are the same as anywhere else.
johnny_on_the_sp ot

Maquoketa, IA

#26 Feb 9, 2009
Yes I agree crime is bad in davenport I have been a victim many time and they made it sound like it was my fault and did nothing for me ecept harras me for being the victim there are much better cities to raise a family than davenport,the crime rate statistics are not acurate becuase often the police tell you its a civil matter and then put it on your criminal record that you instagated the crime ,I hate davenport it ruined my life!
johnny_on_the_sp ot

Maquoketa, IA

#27 Feb 9, 2009
rhino wrote:
I will be visiting davenport in june for the air show at the airport. i was wondering if it would be safe to stay in a hotel on 65th st and take 74 to the airport. Any suggestions would be helpful and is there anything to do in the quad cities like recreationally or site seeing stuff? Thanks so much.
Yes I agree crime is bad in davenport I have been a victim many time and they made it sound like it was my fault and did nothing for me ecept harras me for being the victim there are much better cities to raise a family than davenport,the crime rate statistics are not acurate becuase often the police tell you its a civil matter and then put it on your criminal record that you instagated the crime ,I hate davenport it ruined my life!
johnny_on_the_sp ot

Maquoketa, IA

#28 Feb 9, 2009
laura wrote:
<quoted text> i have lived here my whole life its not bad at all. you just need to find a good place to live
it doesnt mater where you live in davenport it still remans the same police dont care only worried about traffic cams and tickets to create revinue!Yes I agree crime is bad in davenport I have been a victim many time and they made it sound like it was my fault and did nothing for me ecept harras me for being the victim there are much better cities to raise a family than davenport,the crime rate statistics are not acurate becuase often the police tell you its a civil matter and then put it on your criminal record that you instagated the crime ,I hate davenport it ruined my life!
johnny_on_the_sp ot

Maquoketa, IA

#29 Feb 9, 2009
heidi wrote:
hey! my husband is starting school in the summer of 09. would it be better to look for something in walking distance to the school? like pery hill ap. something like that? im just worried about his safty?
yes you should be worried about safty in davenport iowa!Yes I agree crime is bad in davenport I have been a victim many time and they made it sound like it was my fault and did nothing for me ecept harras me for being the victim there are much better cities to raise a family than davenport,the crime rate statistics are not acurate becuase often the police tell you its a civil matter and then put it on your criminal record that you instagated the crime ,I hate davenport it ruined my life!
johnny_on_the_sp ot

Maquoketa, IA

#30 Feb 9, 2009
mike wrote:
I'm moving to davenport sometime in january. Ive done some research online and it looks as if davenport has a pretty high crime rate. It said davenport's crime rate was 726 and the national average is 320. Over twice the national crime rate. I'm thinking it cant really be that bad can it? Anyone from davenport, I would appreciate your input.
yes its true davenport crime is bad and worse police only help the rich if they feel like it!Yes I agree crime is bad in davenport I have been a victim many times and they made it sound like it was my fault and did nothing for me ecept harrass me for being the victim there are much better cities to raise a family than davenport,the crime rate statistics are not acurate becuase often the police tell you its a civil matter and then put it on your criminal record that you instagated the crime ,I hate davenport it ruined my life!
joanne

AOL

#31 Apr 29, 2009
How is the area around The Davenport" apartments in Downtown Davenport? The adress is 324 N Main. We are relocating and thinking of renting there until we get settled.
TomC

Hudson, IA

#32 Sep 26, 2009
My fiance and I moved here a few weeks ago. While we may be new to the area, we definately did our research. The truth of the matter is, Davenport and the Quad Cities are like any other "city scene" in America. Statistics are very bias because the definition of "crime" is quite vague. A crime can be anything from a parking ticket, which is a minor misdemeanor, to Murder, a felony.

So does Davenport have parking tickets and murder? Sure it does. Does almost any other city with more than 150,000 people have those things? Sure they do. The key is where you live. If you put yourself downtown in the middle of the night in an alley, you are putting yourself in danger. That is the SAME anywhere you go. Don't be stupid. Don't involve yourself in the violent world. Don't do drugs, do associate with gang activity, stay away from prostitution, and you will be perfectly fine.

We moved from Fargo, dubbed "one of the safest towns in America." So the crime rate was something we looked into.

The basic things you should understand when looking for "a nice place" in the Quad Cities is this:

1. Stay north of Locust St. Its a east/west street that runs throughout Davenport/Bettindorf. Just by driving in those areas you can see exactly what I mean.

2. Stay away from the river. This kind of plays into number 1. Anywhere between River Street (the river) and Locust is all very rundown. Its the city district, and that is where a majority of the crime happens.

3. Northeast Davenport and Bettindorf is what you could call "higher society."
- If you want Davenport, look along 53rd street from Division St to Highway 74.
- If you want in Bettindorf, the 53rd street drag is still really nice, but mainly just anywhere north of Locust and away from the river.

4. Moline is better than Rock Island in terms of crime. Moline however is lower on the totem pole than say North Davenport and Bettindorf.

5. Stay away from Section 8 residential areas. Section 8 refers to housing designated for those who make less than $30,000. You could kind of call it the wellfare housing.

Those were mainly for apartments, some of it housing.

If you are looking for nice housing, go far north of Davenport on the outskirts, or Bettendorf.

Hope this helps.
mez

Bettendorf, IA

#33 Oct 1, 2009
davenport isnt bad, i lived here all my life. its bad in downtown davenport though
Joanne

AOL

#34 Oct 1, 2009
Our daughter spent a month in Davenport attending a class and looking for apartments . She will be moving back to attend school. Because she was only going to be there for a month she had difficulty finding temporary housing. She ended up staying at the Davenport apartments in Downtown Davenport. Although she wasn't out on the streets at night, she did not have any problems. The people in the apartment complex were very nice and helpful and the area was relatively quiet.Out of the apartments she looked at, the Regency in Bettendorf and Eagle's Crest in Davenport seemed to be very nice.Anyone have info on those or other apartments ?
nathan

Daytona Beach, FL

#35 Jan 28, 2010
how are the streets hillcrest dr, paloma dr, and aylesburg lane in davenport? Are they in good areas or bad one?
Charles NJ

Runnemede, NJ

#36 Jun 26, 2010
We're seeking for crime stats feed back on Davenport, Florida, does anyone has knowledge on what it is......
Kevin

North York, Canada

#37 Sep 8, 2010
Which area in Davenport has less crime?
Colonel G

Urbana, IL

#38 Jul 11, 2012
I have lived in Davenport for 40+ years... The crime rate in most neighborhoods is low. We do have a few "bad" spots. Most crime is drug related. We do have a family that always seems to be in the news for being shot or killing someone else. They are also big in the drug culture. However, they tend to stay (and shoot) in their own neighborhood, or go across the river to the drug neighborhoods of Rock Island. Our sister city, Bettendorf, has less violent crime but a higher "white collar" crime rate. Less drug usage in High School is reported as they have the money to cover it up, and send their kids to rehab. If you go looking for trouble - you sure can find it. If you are a good citizen - no problem.
jordan

Moline, IL

#39 Aug 10, 2014
mike wrote:
I live in Davenport as we speak, and in a lot of areas it can be rough such as 6st up past gains. But their are a lot of nicer areas too
olynicol3

Davenport, IA

#40 Dec 1, 2014
Only issue I've had living her in the past two years (I live downtown on 4th) is that its very run down. If they would just tear down some of the older buildings and clean the place up a little it would be like any other downtown. As for crime. I've yet to encounter any. But I also don't put myself in situations like that. People here are very friendly, I love that we have access to the bus system which would be a lot better if hours were longer since its my main source of transportation, a lot of times I have to end up walking home if I don't get off work till after 6. Other than that I like it here.
Dawn

West Haven, CT

#41 Apr 27, 2016
I'm thinking of moving to Iowa I was looking at rental prices I'm would be coming from New Haven CT. I'm have three kids in there twenties and I'm would need to know how the job market and hospitals are plus how safe it is out there I'm looking for a quit place but more city like than country .what towns should I look into to relocate

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vice President Pence calls suggestion he's eyei... Aug 8 Red Crosse 15
News Not Being Stupid Is 'Cognitive Privilege' Now, ... Jul 31 Toby 1
Gitchie Manitou Murders in 1973 (Nov '06) Jul 26 sundown 24,861
Mayor David Mayer raises property taxes really ... Jul 25 Pam 1
Where is your great king? Jul '17 Pretty Girl 2
News Op-Ed Contributor: Want to Get Rid of Trump? On... Jul '17 Red Crosse 33
News Iowans offer their churches to those at risk of... Jun '17 Geezer 1
More from around the web