mike

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2006

I'm moving to davenport sometime in january. Ive done some research online and it looks as if davenport has a pretty high crime rate. It said davenport's crime rate was 726 and the national average is 320. Over twice the national crime rate. I'm thinking it cant really be that bad can it? Anyone from davenport, I would appreciate your input.
ms King

Webberville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2006

Judged:

I relocated to Davenport Ia 4 years ago. I moved from Chicago Il. I dont know anything about national averages of what have you, but I do know that there is a little bit more going on than 4 years ago. And honestly, what I think is, is that the law enforcement is just not having crime. From being here I notice if your are doing something illegal, your chance of getting caught is higher here. I think that because of the arrest, our rates may be higher. It is a nice place to live for a small city. Check out the City of Davenport's web page and a couple of other local things like our newspaper the Quad City Times for more info. Good Luck!
Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2006

Judged:

I have lived in Davenport all my life. The crime is difficult to judge. I would say that most of the crime is drug related. If you dont put yourself in these circumstances, you will be fine. It does, however, come in waves. Over the past 5 years crime has been relatively isolated, although just this past summer there has been a number of shootings. The vast majority of which has been drug related. Also is isolated to cirtain areas of the [Quad]Cities. If you could specify around what area or neighborhood you will be moving to, the problems will be greater or less.
From Near Davenport

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2006

Judged:

I lived in a neighbooring city of davenport for 21 years. Davenports crime has increased some, but it is in isolated areas. A general rule of thumb is to live North of Locust Street. If you want to worry about it less move to Bettendorf or another surrounding city. In my 21 years I dont recall actually seeing any crime, it is very isolated.

I wouldnt not worry about it too much.
From Near Davenport

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2006

Apparently I cant spell ;)
Careful

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2006

Judged:

Illegals are showing up everywhere.READ THIS********
Ann wrote:
Here are some statistics from the Los Angeles Times:
40 percent of all workers are working for cash and not paying taxes. Why would they want to be legal and pay taxes? They would be able to start bringing the rest of their families to the USA.
75 percent of people on L.A.'s most-wanted list are illegal aliens.
Over two-thirds of all births are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid for by the taxpayers.
Nearly 25 percent of all inmates in California detention centers are here illegally.
Over 300,000 illegals are living in garages.
The FBI reports half of all gang members in Los Angeles are most likely illegals from south of the border.
Nearly 60 percent of all occupants of HUD properties are illegal.
Of the 10 million people in Los Angeles County, 5.1 million speak English and 3.9 million speak Spanish.
21 radio stations in Los Angeles are Spanish speaking.
More statistics:
Less than 2 percent of illegals are picking crops but 29 percent are on welfare.
Over 70 percent of the U.S. annual population growth (over 90 percent of California, Florida and New York) are from immigration.
29 percent of inmates in the federal prisons are illegal aliens.
The lifetime fiscal impact (taxes minus services used) for the average adult Mexican immigrant is a negative.
They also send about $15 billion back to Mexico to assist their families and prop up the corrupt Mexican government that keeps most of its citizens in poverty. How about a revolt in their own country!
A new figure from yesterday: It cost Los Angeles $276 million in welfare costs for 100,000 children of illegal aliens
Simple Life

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2007

mike wrote:
I'm moving to davenport sometime in january. Ive done some research online and it looks as if davenport has a pretty high crime rate. It said davenport's crime rate was 726 and the national average is 320. Over twice the national crime rate. I'm thinking it cant really be that bad can it? Anyone from davenport, I would appreciate your input.
I would have to say that crime rates are definitely up in the Davenport area. I have lived here my whole life and never seen so much crime. We had another shooting last night and someone stole a truck that was locked up in a building so they drove it straight through the garage door. But do you really see the police doing anything to get the community back under control....NO. All they say is we will keep our eyes open. Yes, crime is up but not because it is worse, but becasue our police officers and safety officials don't or won't do their jobs because nothing is punished here anymore. POlice in this city are more worried about the "red Light Camera" controversy more than anything now. Sorry to say, but find a town with less of an increasing crime rate.
H20-Loo-iowa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2007

I'm from waterloo and i go to D-port offten,It seems safe to me. But then again i'm from the H20.
Rock

San Mateo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2007

I've lived in Daveport all of my life, however, as I've grown older, middle 30's I'd say Bettendorf or surrounding cities like Eldridge, LeClaire are much better choices but cost a little more to live. However the surrounding cities do have FAR less crime rates than Davenport. Lately, Davenport has been getting a bad wrap. The law enforcement angencies seem to be more focused on revenues than protection. They are currently disputing traffic cameras that catch people speeding. I think they are also researching for the next Robocop to actually protect the people! Stay tuned for the next way Davenport's finest attempts to protect their citizens.
mike

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2007

Judged:

I ended up getting a place in Bettendorf. From what Ive read in the paper, in the last 3 days there's been a fight in the mall with 100 people involved, and an attempted murder downtown the other night. Looks like a made the right choice going to bettendorf. I have heard a lot going on about those red light and speeding cameras. Sounds like they have some more important issues to deal with first. Thanks for the info, all that responded.
man man

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2007

Judged:

I been to D Port alot but I havent seen too much crime. All mississippi river cities are not a good choice But Davenport dosen't even seem as bad as other river cites like Burlington.
Rick

Dubuque, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2007

Judged:

Does anyone know if there is a police call list mapped out to see if there is a lot of calls in one area of town?
Rick

Dubuque, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2007

In Davenport I should add
Tim

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2007

Rick, there is an annual General Crime Survey available at the public library, but only for in-library use. If you want call stats, you have to provide the Police with a specific address and pay them for the report.
Linda

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Is anyone familiar with the crime rate around Palmer College? Is it safe for graduate students to live in apartments around 5th and Perry???
joe

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2007

Judged:

the immediate area around the palmer campus is ok. But most of the downtown area is pretty crappy. They did build some very nice new apartments right next to the campus if those are the ones you're talking about, but I wouldnt stray too far from there it can get bad real quick.
rob

Dana Point, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2008

davenport is cool if you live in the right place but really theres just young kids that think d-port is somthinlike chicago when really these kids wouldnt last 11 minutes
rob

Dana Point, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2008

Judged:

davenport is alright the crime here only happens in some areas but most of these young kids want to be gang members and have no idea what thier doing and think thier living like it is in rock island and chicago but thats not the case
stephanie

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

Well mike it all depends on where you are coming from. those numbers are telling you the truth. I have lived in the QC most of my life and trust me it just seems to be getting worse and worse and not that I am no better than those who are comiting the crimes and all but i have been able to seek help through narcotics anonymous and i am only turning 19. this area has a big drug rate problem and people who are getting busted everyday for some crimes being mostly over addiction. people getting shot for no reason. If i where you i would come and stay for a few months and get use to it because it is always easy to visit but to adapt to this wh of living it is like down town chicago some days and others it can be quiet but that is when you know something is wrong.
mike wrote:
stephanie

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

Judged:

Well mike it all depends on where you are coming from. those numbers are telling you the truth. I have lived in the QC most of my life and trust me it just seems to be getting worse and worse and not that I am no better than those who are comiting the crimes and all but i have been able to seek help through narcotics anonymous and i am only turning 19. this area has a big drug rate problem and people who are getting busted everyday for some crimes being mostly over addiction. people getting shot for no reason. If i where you i would come and stay for a few months and get use to it because it is always easy to visit but to adapt to this wh of living it is like down town chicago some days and others it can be quiet but that is when you know something is wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••