Gitchie Manitou Murders in 1973
summerstorm

Beaver Creek, MN

#5679 Jan 14, 2009
Aren't these creeps a piece of work? I can see one member of a family turning into sludge, but all three? Their mother must be Ma Barker or something. I wonder what their childhood was like? Not that I'd EVER excuse those evil idiots for what they did, but I bet they'd have one hellacious story to tell about growing up.
summerstorm

Beaver Creek, MN

#5680 Jan 14, 2009
Can you just imagine the terror those kids felt during this? The total disbelief? Wishing they were home safe with their Moms and Dads? God I could just cry.

They were all so YOUNG.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#5681 Jan 14, 2009
i know, it's so full of terror, i can't imagine. especially after watching Roger die immediately and wondering what your chances were.

to quote my fave movie Office Space, i hope that they are serving their sentence in a "pound it up your ass federal prison."
jill

Sioux Falls, SD

#5682 Jan 14, 2009
Yea CB! I am so super happy you are on the road to recovery. I read somewhere online that arsenic is used to treat leukemia, which it sounds like you are getting CB.
georgia from minneapolis

Minneapolis, MN

#5683 Jan 15, 2009
catholic boy,

wow! i am so happy for you. i haven't posted much to you and didn't know if you were following, but i thought about you a lot. so i am thrilled.

the law's some tricky s**t, tess, to quote thelma in thelma and louise. who knows how that played out. catholic boy sure found a lot of info.
it looked like that appeal was recent,no? it kills me that these guys who are guilty as sin spend years and years appealing. it's kooky.
catholic boy

Sunnyvale, CA

#5684 Jan 15, 2009
Hi,

Georgia, I had to much Morphine in me when I was an in patient (6 F***ing weeks)(that I didn't even turn my computer on so I wasn't following anything.

I found these transcripts on the internet somewhere and combined them. I thought it was interesting because there are no grey area's.

CB
summerstorm51240

Crooks, SD

#5685 Jan 15, 2009
Hello everyone. My car won't start today, even though it was plugged in. Bummer. So, I'm walking to and fro in the house, moving objects from one spot to another, eating some left overs and soon will sit down to read a history of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I made it to Hu Hot last night. Good place. I got to eat as many vegetables as I could cram into my mouth. I was so happy! I love veggies! Screw the meat.

The gal at the Courthouse STILL hasn't gotten hold of Roger's family about that damn guitar. I'm getting really pissed about it, but this gal is soooo touchy. Whenever I bring it up she gets a real bitchy tone to her voice like I should just back off and leave her alone. I'll think of another approach for this one. She will NOT get the best of me. snort.

Location hidden

#5686 Jan 15, 2009
Summerstorm that's weird about the guitar, does she have some personal interest in it do you think? maybe if a man asked...she could be one of those hated types.

i hear it's freezing there...have a good read. Is it the book that's about her daughter too? i could go back and read Little House in the Big Woods right now...have you ever visited the dugout somewhere near the black hills that her family lived in?
georgia in minneapolis

Minneapolis, MN

#5687 Jan 15, 2009
i love the laura ingalls wilder books. i think i have all of them at home. we should all read "the long winter" right now.
dakota ghosthunter

Sioux Falls, SD

#5688 Jan 15, 2009
I never knew they lived near the Black Hills?

Location hidden

#5689 Jan 15, 2009
Dakota, i was mistaken, they had one in DeSmet - during the 70's a bunch of us from DSC took a car trip to Rapid and stopped and saw a sod house, i just always thought it was the Wilder one...but it was the 70's so you know that memory thing...

Location hidden

#5690 Jan 15, 2009
or maybe it was Walnut Grove, MN? great books. My favorite was "on the banks of plum creek"

Georgia, The Long Winter...found on Wikipedia that it was depicting the same period of time as "The Children's Blizzard"
jill

Sioux Falls, SD

#5691 Jan 15, 2009
Tess, I think you are right about desmet and Walnut grove as places Laura lived. I had all the books, but they went bye bye on a rummage sale. I didn't ever want to reread them, too sad, especially since they were true. I remember crying when all they got was candy for Christmas, it made me feel so selfish and materialistic.
Summerstorm, that sucks that your battery wouldn't start up. I got a Sears Die hard a couple years ago. Even after sitting at work for 12 hours, it started right up this evening. I have had good luck with these batteries in the past, one lasted 10 years! that is no lie.
Soo Foo

United States

#5692 Jan 15, 2009
I'll check his grad year, haven't got any pix scanned as my pc is in major virus mode! yuck

The house is literally back to back with the Cone's gas station, it faces 18th. It was built by my great grandpa wilkens and the Mc's lived there since the 40's.

Jim Sr.(called Mick), Millie, Jim Jr, Judy, Tom, Patty, Don, and Mary

my dad was killed in mar of 79 up on the hill below St Mike's cemetary & the Amidon Monument. It was a blizzard. he was jump starting a car for a lady, another car hit his.

I was little, and my mom was sad and didn't talk about him much. i'd love to know what he was like as a teen, and kid.

Thanks, good luck with your treatment CB, it's a hard road, but some of us are strong enough to walk it.
summerstorm

Beaver Creek, MN

#5693 Jan 16, 2009
Soo Foo, I'm so sorry about your Dad. What an awful thing to have happen, especially as he was being kind and helpful to another person.

I lost my Dad when I was a child too. At least you've found a site here where we all have experienced extreme loss and pain and if you ever have a tough time of it, we can be here for you!
summerstorm

Beaver Creek, MN

#5694 Jan 16, 2009
This Laura Ingalls Wilder book is just a biography of her life, but I haven't gotten too far into it yet. I've always meant to go to DeSmet on one of my "weekend summer get-aways" by myself and stay overnight and pluck about into their history. I must do that this summer.

For years I had my "Winter books".....the ones I'd read as soon as the first snow fell. "Little House In the Big Woods" always kicked off the series. Then I'd read the rest of her books. Then "Wuthering Heights", "Penmarric", and "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories and Other Disasters". I also had a great memoir of a Jewish doctor who was forced to work for Dr. Mengele in the Nazi camps. Ew.
summerstorm

Beaver Creek, MN

#5695 Jan 16, 2009
Jill, I swear, your heart is as big as the outdoors. To be sad when Laura and Mary only got candy at Christmas? You are a total sweetheart.
summerstorm

Beaver Creek, MN

#5696 Jan 16, 2009
Tess in Oregon wrote:
Dakota, i was mistaken, they had one in DeSmet - during the 70's a bunch of us from DSC took a car trip to Rapid and stopped and saw a sod house, i just always thought it was the Wilder one...but it was the 70's so you know that memory thing...
Tess, there is a sod house just off one of the roads as you go into the Badlands. I wonder if that is the one you recall?
georgia from minneapolis

Minneapolis, MN

#5697 Jan 16, 2009
summer,

i have a book by a jewish, i think czech or polish, doctor who had to work for mengele. his last name started with an "n." it was all consonants and who could remember it. is that the same book you have?

Location hidden

#5698 Jan 16, 2009
thanks summerstorm, i remember seeing one there, on that particular trip my friend's boyfriend drove and his car was in bad shape, every time we stopped it had to be push started - like Little Miss Sunshine. did anybody else love that movie?

Penmarric! i loved that author, Susan Howatch - just had to Google it, her other great one was Wheel of Fortune, then she started to write that series that was all church of england based and she kind of lost me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vice President Pence calls suggestion he's eyei... Aug 8 Red Crosse 15
News Not Being Stupid Is 'Cognitive Privilege' Now, ... Jul 31 Toby 1
Mayor David Mayer raises property taxes really ... Jul 25 Pam 1
Where is your great king? Jul '17 Pretty Girl 2
News Op-Ed Contributor: Want to Get Rid of Trump? On... Jul '17 Red Crosse 33
News Iowans offer their churches to those at risk of... Jun '17 Geezer 1
News Trump holds campaign-style rally in Iowa Jun '17 FireyFellow44 7
More from around the web