Paul would best Obama in Iowa

Paul would best Obama in Iowa

There are 42 comments on the The Washington Post story from Feb 18, 2012, titled Paul would best Obama in Iowa. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Sign and RT our Drill Here, Drill Now petition: http://t.co/fLPXSXG8 @ Newt2012HQ : "Forsyth resident Ben Bolton said Gingrich's ideas like energy independence garnered his support." http://t.co/iUgMgYAx #gapol @ GovernorPerry : Wounded Warrior Support Foundation hunt w/Jack Zimmerman former 101 ABN and guide Daniel Boone.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#1 Feb 18, 2012
Ron Paul is the ONLY one who can beat Obama in the general election. Republicans better wake up to that fact and quick or it will be another long four years.
Ex-GOP Con

San Jose, CA

#2 Feb 18, 2012
I would be fine with either Paul or Obama for President actually. If Paul did become the GOP nominee I'd have to actually weigh the pros and cons. The rest of the GOP field, though, is a dismissive joke.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#3 Feb 18, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
Ron Paul is the ONLY one who can beat Obama in the general election. Republicans better wake up to that fact and quick or it will be another long four years.
Ron Paul can beat President Obama?

Oh, that's a risk worth taking; unfortunately the Republicans aren't thinking THAT far outside the box...
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#4 Feb 18, 2012
Republicans will never ever elect Ron Paul as their candidate. They are afraid they would lose their special interest corporate welfare programs.

SE Michigan

#5 Feb 18, 2012
Ex-GOP Con wrote:
I would be fine with either Paul or Obama for President actually. If Paul did become the GOP nominee I'd have to actually weigh the pros and cons. The rest of the GOP field, though, is a dismissive joke.
How about one Ron pro- fiscal responsibility!

SE Michigan

#6 Feb 18, 2012
PooPoo Platter wrote:
<quoted text>
Ron Paul can beat President Obama?
Oh, that's a risk worth taking; unfortunately the Republicans aren't thinking THAT far outside the box...
They need Paul on the ticket if they want a chance.
Just Sayin

Toledo, OH

#7 Feb 18, 2012
Does anyone know how the remaining Maine caucus came out today?

I haven't been able to find anything about the outcome?

SE Michigan

#8 Feb 18, 2012
Just Sayin wrote:
Does anyone know how the remaining Maine caucus came out today?
I haven't been able to find anything about the outcome?
EAST MACHIAS, Maine (AP)- Ron Paul has gained 83 votes on Mitt Romney following a Republican presidential caucus in eastern Maine, where voting last week had been postponed due to bad weather. Romney still holds a 156-vote lead over Paul in statewide totals.

Paul received 163 votes in Saturday's Washington County caucus, where Republicans from more than two dozen towns gathered to cast their votes. Romney received 80 votes. Rick Santorum got 57 votes and Newt Gingrich received four votes.

The Maine Republican Party last week declared Romney the winner of the state's GOP caucuses, but Washington County Republicans were angered their votes weren't counted after their caucus was postponed last Saturday because of a snowstorm.

County Chairman Chris Gardner says the state party should include the caucus tally in the final results.

The Republican State Committee will consider the request next month.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#9 Feb 18, 2012
ALFRED E. NEWMAN,or J. FRED MUGGS will beat OBAMA...For you see ...

ITS THE FREGGEN GAS PRICES STUPID!!
Just Sayin

Toledo, OH

#10 Feb 18, 2012
<quoted text>
EAST MACHIAS, Maine (AP)- Ron Paul has gained 83 votes on Mitt Romney following a Republican presidential caucus in eastern Maine, where voting last week had been postponed due to bad weather. Romney still holds a 156-vote lead over Paul in statewide totals.
Paul received 163 votes in Saturday's Washington County caucus, where Republicans from more than two dozen towns gathered to cast their votes. Romney received 80 votes. Rick Santorum got 57 votes and Newt Gingrich received four votes.
The Maine Republican Party last week declared Romney the winner of the state's GOP caucuses, but Washington County Republicans were angered their votes weren't counted after their caucus was postponed last Saturday because of a snowstorm.
County Chairman Chris Gardner says the state party should include the caucus tally in the final results.
The Republican State Committee will consider the request next month.
Thanks.

I wonder if this tally takes in the other three counties where they said no one voted. I know Hancock county had scheduled their caucus for this Saturday also.
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#11 Feb 18, 2012
RON PAUL 2012!

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#12 Feb 19, 2012
<quoted text>
They need Paul on the ticket if they want a chance.
I don't see a path to Ron Paul landing a spot on the ticket.

And were that to somehow happen, a path to 270 Electoral College votes is much less likely than a nomination. No question Rep Paul enjoys enthusiastic support, it's just the quantity isn't there, and won't be there in about 7 short months...

SE Michigan

#13 Feb 19, 2012
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
I wonder if this tally takes in the other three counties where they said no one voted. I know Hancock county had scheduled their caucus for this Saturday also.
"Paul received 163 votes in Saturday's Washington County caucus, where Republicans from more than two dozen towns gathered to cast their votes. Romney received 80 votes. Rick Santorum got 57 votes and Newt Gingrich received four votes."

What I find rather amazing is that since there was a caucus yesterday and the results were that Paul got twice as much as Romney and WAY more than the other two, why didn't the major cable networks point that out to the viewers? The headlines could have been:

'Ron Paul's major victory in Maine leaves the presumptive nominee and his rivals in the dust!'
I guess they find it more convenient and self-serving to simply say, "Paul picked up 163 votes, but we'll decide in March if we'll count them or not."

Is a dead drug addict more important than our next election and restoring our Constitution?

SE Michigan

#14 Feb 19, 2012
PooPoo Platter wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see a path to Ron Paul landing a spot on the ticket.
And were that to somehow happen, a path to 270 Electoral College votes is much less likely than a nomination. No question Rep Paul enjoys enthusiastic support, it's just the quantity isn't there, and won't be there in about 7 short months...
Let me help you see one.

Ron Paul supporters are firm and unwavering in their support. You said it yourself here:
"No question Rep Paul enjoys enthusiastic support,"

"it's just the quantity isn't there,"
It isn't?
36% in Maine
27% in Minnesota
23% in New Hampshire
21% in Iowa
19% in Nevada
13% in South Carolina
12% in Missouri
12% in Colorado
7% in Florida

Notice the low percentage states.
He never spent any time campaigning there. That's still alot of support to receive when most people don't even know you exist!

Notice the high percentage states.
It would be even higher if more people in those states knew he existed, but the media won't give him the time of day in many cases. Remember, those higher percentages are without the medias help!

Given that much support among his followers, if a different candidate is the nominee, he will NOT win without those Paul supporters.

Consider this fact. Most Paul supporters are unwavering and see no other candidate as worthy of being the president. If Paul's not on the ticket, they will likely lose interest and not vote, OR they will write Paul's name in.

It may give Obama the win, but what's worse 4 more years of Obama, or 8 years of Obama lite?

Not much different in my opinion and in that of many others.

The key is to understand just how enthusiastic and unwavering we are in our support of Ron Paul. There IS NO OTHER.

The other thing to consider is the so-called "unelectability." Once people get past that and realize he IS "electable" if they just vote for him,(Maine and Minnesota may have helped there, but the media is still deafeningly silent about it) he can start pulling off states as voters realize they don't have to settle for the candidate the media pushes on them.
Just Sayin

Toledo, OH

#15 Feb 19, 2012
@ Raptor in MI

There is still a town in Mine that will caucus on Mar 3. Didn't say how big the town was but at last tally there are still some towns who are complaining that their votes didn't get counted yet.

This article that we are on leaves me with the question as to how Santorum and Romney came in first and second in Iowa but the poll in Iowa says that more people think Ron Paul can beat Obama.
Just Sayin

Toledo, OH

#16 Feb 19, 2012
Ron Paul is having a money bomb this weekend and has passed one and a half million and is still climbing.

I sent my check to him in the mail Friday so it probably won't get there until Monday considering the slowness of the postal service since they shut down some of their clearing houses.

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#17 Feb 19, 2012
<quoted text>
Let me help you see one.
Ron Paul supporters are firm and unwavering in their support. You said it yourself here:
"No question Rep Paul enjoys enthusiastic support,"
"it's just the quantity isn't there,"
It isn't?
36% in Maine
27% in Minnesota
23% in New Hampshire
21% in Iowa
19% in Nevada
13% in South Carolina
12% in Missouri
12% in Colorado
7% in Florida
Notice the low percentage states.
He never spent any time campaigning there. That's still alot of support to receive when most people don't even know you exist!
Notice the high percentage states.
It would be even higher if more people in those states knew he existed, but the media won't give him the time of day in many cases. Remember, those higher percentages are without the medias help!
Given that much support among his followers, if a different candidate is the nominee, he will NOT win without those Paul supporters.
Consider this fact. Most Paul supporters are unwavering and see no other candidate as worthy of being the president. If Paul's not on the ticket, they will likely lose interest and not vote, OR they will write Paul's name in.
It may give Obama the win, but what's worse 4 more years of Obama, or 8 years of Obama lite?
Not much different in my opinion and in that of many others.
The key is to understand just how enthusiastic and unwavering we are in our support of Ron Paul. There IS NO OTHER.
The other thing to consider is the so-called "unelectability." Once people get past that and realize he IS "electable" if they just vote for him,(Maine and Minnesota may have helped there, but the media is still deafeningly silent about it) he can start pulling off states as voters realize they don't have to settle for the candidate the media pushes on them.
You cite percentages of the vote Rep Paul received in Republican primaries and caucuses thus far. The problem with primary percentages is that doesn't win the state's electoral vote. It will require the largest raw number of votes to win a state's electors, and he needs 270 votes to win.

The President far surpassed that mark in 2008, Republicans have done it too in modern times. No third party candidate since 1860 has done it, and Rep Paul's support does not match what Ross Perot had at his crest in 1992.

Rep Paul will have to get his message out in 2012, plus deal with those who find his isolationist tendencies unrealistic in the modern world, plus deal with past inflammatory writings which went out under his name. Unless he wins the GOP nomination his task would be like towing the Sears Tower with a Prius. Even if he is the Republican choice he'd still be a long shot in November. The media is among the least of his problems...

SE Michigan

#18 Feb 19, 2012
Just Sayin wrote:
Ron Paul is having a money bomb this weekend and has passed one and a half million and is still climbing.
I sent my check to him in the mail Friday so it probably won't get there until Monday considering the slowness of the postal service since they shut down some of their clearing houses.
I set mine on Valentines Day.$$
I have no doubt these elections are rigged. Paul is doing a whole lot better than what the media will let us know, and what is being reported correctly to the media. I believe he will win this thing, but that it will be stolen from him.
Just Sayin

Toledo, OH

#19 Feb 19, 2012
Oh POO POO

How can you call Paul an isolationist when he says we should talk to foreign countries not go to war with them and bomb them.

SE Michigan

#20 Feb 19, 2012
PooPoo Platter wrote:
<quoted text>
You cite percentages of the vote Rep Paul received in Republican primaries and caucuses thus far. The problem with primary percentages is that doesn't win the state's electoral vote. It will require the largest raw number of votes to win a state's electors, and he needs 270 votes to win.
The President far surpassed that mark in 2008, Republicans have done it too in modern times. No third party candidate since 1860 has done it, and Rep Paul's support does not match what Ross Perot had at his crest in 1992.
Rep Paul will have to get his message out in 2012, plus deal with those who find his isolationist tendencies unrealistic in the modern world, plus deal with past inflammatory writings which went out under his name. Unless he wins the GOP nomination his task would be like towing the Sears Tower with a Prius. Even if he is the Republican choice he'd still be a long shot in November. The media is among the least of his problems...
The media is the biggest hurdle for him. If they would start reporting his foreign policy, strong national defense policy and border security issues properly, it would be a slam-dunk for him to win. They have distorted it so bad and repeated it so much, most people, including you, believe what they say to be true.
http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/nationa...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Iowa Senators propose bill to hold illegal immi... 16 hr tomin cali 1
News Republican congressman seeks to block move that... Jun 23 Sicklecell Supporter 23
News GOP congressman seeks to block changes to US cu... Jun 23 Just Saying 15
News APNewsBreak: US Senate panel demands info in lo... Jun 22 Le Jimbo 1
News Back to the bashing: Why Trump is again ripping... Jun 18 YourEx 51
Help with Tad Lincoln provenance Jun 13 Finally 1
News Microsoft wants you using Windows 10, whether y... Jun 10 1potato2potato 2
More from around the web