Bachmann plays coy on 2012 as she cou...

Bachmann plays coy on 2012 as she courts Iowa

There are 140 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 21, 2011, titled Bachmann plays coy on 2012 as she courts Iowa. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann made her first big appearance as a potential presidential candidate here Friday night with what she described as a "somber, serious speech" warning of the dangers of the expanding federal government and growing national debt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

The Rapture

Saint Cloud, MN

#106 Jan 22, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
The right is welcome to have strong women candidates-- in fact, they SHOULD.
There are very smart, capable Republican women, like Kay Bailey Hutchison.
But Michelle Bachmann is an idiot. She's malignant, hateful, and stupid. That is a lethal combo.
Sharon Angle was a radical racist.
Sarah Palin is a intellectually weak-minded attack dog, good only at stirring up hatred, just like Bachmann.
And don't forget, three months ago national GOP leaders were telling us Christine O'Donnell was Senate material!!
Let's not forget Susana Martinez, Mary Fallin, Nikki Haley and M. Jodi Rell...ALL with more resolve and talents that Bachmann and Palin will never have.
Tom M

Maple Grove, MN

#107 Jan 22, 2011
Bruin wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever 2012 brings us, good ,bad or indifferent, it will be conservative. Look forward in dread and fear if you wish, but the juggernaut is on the way.
Whatever disasters the Republicans inherit from this failed presidency and demorat congress, they will try to fix, not make things worse, as the Messiah has done. His is the most disastrous administration since Jimmy Carter, and indeed they have many similarities.
You are afraid of war? Then why not force this loser to bring our troops home. You hate depressions? Then tell this ignorant incompetent to stop spending our hard earned dollars on paying off political debts to the bankers and the unions.
You're running your ignorance up the flag pole for all to see. When Obama took over, the nation was losing about 750,000 jobs a month, GM and Chrysler were bankrupt and about to close down for good, the banking system was near collapse and the Dow had dropped to a little more than 7,000. Today, the Dow is up to 11,800, The banking industry is thriving and is making loans again. GM and Chrysler have been rebuilt and have paid back most of the loans used to save them. Unemployment remains a big problem, but the number of new hires has been going up for the past eight months or so. In effect, what took Bush and Cheney eight years to wreck has been mostly repaired in two years. During this tumultuous time, Obama also succeeded in overhauling our health care system -- a job every president since FDR failed to do. Any unbiased person would look at Obama's record and rank him alongside FDR for effectiveness. But I understand why conservatives have a tough time seeing things this way: If Obama succeeds in restoring the U.S. to the level it was at when Clinton left office, they won't stand a snowball's chance in hell of winning the White House in 2012. That's why Beck, Limbaugh and the rest continue to desperately attack everything that Obama accomplishes .

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#108 Jan 22, 2011
Can You Hear Me wrote:
<quoted text>
The birth of the TEA Party, watch and learn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9v82_xj7t6kXX
Rick Santelli and the Start of the Tea Party.wmv
This is another reason why I'm pro-choice.
Nate

Saint Paul, MN

#109 Jan 22, 2011
I'd rather get a paper cut- in my eye or in the crease between my fingers.
Alec

Minneapolis, MN

#110 Jan 22, 2011
Isn't it obvious to even her most strident supporters that she only knows how to campaign, and has no idea how to govern or lead? If she runs for President it will be so she doesn't have to do anything now that she is finally in the majority. She's always used the excuse that she was in the minority, so she couldn't do anything. Now she has a chance to do something, but she just wants to campaign.
Adolph

Minneapolis, MN

#111 Jan 22, 2011
Palin/Bachmann=Goebbels/Himmle r, and I'd know!
Thoughtful guy

Anonymous Proxy

#112 Jan 22, 2011
yeah.....all you deranged Libs are right!

Why WOULD we want a bright, thoughtful, reasonable, CONSERVATIVE, attractive mom like Palin or Bachmann (who are both moms!) who support freedom, lower taxes, smaller government (quit being such a bunch of babies and learn to take care of yourselves) and who would be tough negotiators with the threatening people and countries around the world in place of Pres. Oboring who won, yes, but has never BEEN anywhere (except on vacation) and has never DONE anything and can't wait to bow to the next Asian faced person in his lickspittle behaviors. That guy is a liar and disgrace.

Just what about the Liberal/Leftist overlords do you approve of?

None of you clowny clowns can ever positively say anything about your Leftist masters. You only disparage and misrepresent Conservatives.

You Leftists are deranged and irrelevant and a minority ideology. Once awakened, the Right will crush you!
Clowny Clowns

Bloomingdale, IL

#113 Jan 22, 2011
Thoughtful guy wrote:
yeah.....all you deranged Libs are right!
Why WOULD we want a bright, thoughtful, reasonable, CONSERVATIVE, attractive mom like Palin or Bachmann (who are both moms!) who support freedom, lower taxes, smaller government (quit being such a bunch of babies and learn to take care of yourselves) and who would be tough negotiators with the threatening people and countries around the world in place of Pres. Oboring who won, yes, but has never BEEN anywhere (except on vacation) and has never DONE anything and can't wait to bow to the next Asian faced person in his lickspittle behaviors. That guy is a liar and disgrace.
Just what about the Liberal/Leftist overlords do you approve of?
None of you clowny clowns can ever positively say anything about your Leftist masters. You only disparage and misrepresent Conservatives.
You Leftists are deranged and irrelevant and a minority ideology. Once awakened, the Right will crush you!
YIKES! This putz is on to us!
Hawkeye

Moline, IL

#114 Jan 22, 2011
Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#115 Jan 22, 2011
I'm guessing the rest of the field hopes she gets in the race. They'll all look good next to this mendacious radical nut.
e-boogers

Minneapolis, MN

#116 Jan 22, 2011
U.S. Congregant Bachmann plays coy, huh? The woman's lack of an abstract or independent thought and an inability to answer impromptu questions extemporaneously and intelligently should not be mistaken for playing coy.

“REUNITE GONDWANALAND!”

Since: Jun 08

Woodbury

#117 Jan 22, 2011
Jabber wrote:
I say to KEEP America great we go back to the tax structure under R Reagan. Any tax money that is over the amount paid now will go to retire the national debt. To save Medicare equalize the payments for all people on Medicare instead of the structure now in place ( Older folks will have to pay more BUT they have gotten WAY more than the put in). To save SS raise the tax up to $150,000 per year(On any income, No exclusions) For two years put a 2% SS tax on earnings and inheritance above 2 million dollars ( this money will insure SS viability for many years) Also all GOVERNMENT employees (elected and appointed ones)will be subject to SS and Medicare deductions. No more federal and military pensions, they'll be tearted just like the rest of us Americans. All money in Medicare and SS are OFF budget and can not be borrowed against.
By all means, let's return to the tax rates under Reagan! The Democrats tried to let the Bush tax cuts for the richest 2% expire, returning the top marginal rate to where it was under Clinton, 39%; it would be much better to return to the rate under Reagan, when the top marginal tax rate was over 50%:
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displ...
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#118 Jan 22, 2011
The Rapture wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's not forget Susana Martinez, Mary Fallin, Nikki Haley and M. Jodi Rell...ALL with more resolve and talents that Bachmann and Palin will never have.
The only one I've heard of is Nikki Haley, who I must admit I like.

But I have to wonder how her first move in office-- namely, hiking salaries for her key staff, and adding paid assistants-- will play out with the conservative faithful.
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#119 Jan 22, 2011
Alec wrote:
Isn't it obvious to even her most strident supporters that she only knows how to campaign, and has no idea how to govern or lead? If she runs for President it will be so she doesn't have to do anything now that she is finally in the majority. She's always used the excuse that she was in the minority, so she couldn't do anything. Now she has a chance to do something, but she just wants to campaign.
Right. She doesn't WANT to lead.

She bitched for years about wasteful spending... and then turned down a seat on the Commerce Committee.

How do any of her supporters justify this?

She wants to stand on the sidelines and throw bombs, even when her party is in power.

It's the act of a cynical career politician, not a stateswoman.

But then again, being a marginally attractive attack dog seems to be enough for the die-hard faithful... she can simply parrot Palin, but as a MIWLF.
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#120 Jan 22, 2011
Darwinian wrote:
<quoted text>
By all means, let's return to the tax rates under Reagan! The Democrats tried to let the Bush tax cuts for the richest 2% expire, returning the top marginal rate to where it was under Clinton, 39%; it would be much better to return to the rate under Reagan, when the top marginal tax rate was over 50%:
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displ...
And it would probably dig us out of the hole we're in in five years.

Yet the great unwashed of the Republican base-- whose taxes would NEVER be affected by such a move-- have embraced the notion that asking the rich to pull their weight is unpatriotic. Hard to argue with that (lack of) logic.
Not Having It

Saint Paul, MN

#121 Jan 23, 2011
Karen the fox wrote:
We need somone with a shred of common sense on how things really should work. At least she's going down the right road.
People are fed up with the hate mongering on the left and the way they are destroying our once great country.
What she is saying is we need to stop this madness and quite soon or we will all be in trouble. The President and his administration are not getting the job done.
Hate mongering on the left??? The only hate mongering I see is from Faux News and the Republican party. Hate mongering on the left??? Give me a break!! I just love it when the rightwing accuses their opposition of the very thing they are very guilty of. I guess when you claim to have God on your side, you can lie, cheat, steal, and murder without any reprecussions.
dumbo

Minneapolis, MN

#122 Jan 23, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
The right is welcome to have strong women candidates-- in fact, they SHOULD.
There are very smart, capable Republican women, like Kay Bailey Hutchison.
But Michelle Bachmann is an idiot. She's malignant, hateful, and stupid. That is a lethal combo.
Sharon Angle was a radical racist.
Sarah Palin is a intellectually weak-minded attack dog, good only at stirring up hatred, just like Bachmann.
And don't forget, three months ago national GOP leaders were telling us Christine O'Donnell was Senate material!!
yer gay!
suzie on vacaton

Saint Paul, MN

#123 Jan 23, 2011
Alec wrote:
Isn't it obvious to even her most strident supporters that she only knows how to campaign, and has no idea how to govern or lead? If she runs for President it will be so she doesn't have to do anything now that she is finally in the majority. She's always used the excuse that she was in the minority, so she couldn't do anything. Now she has a chance to do something, but she just wants to campaign.
Excuse me, are you talking about Obama?
Soros funded NPR

United States

#124 Jan 23, 2011
Republican Sheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I guess that had nothing to do with eight years of Bush/Cheney, who promoted the exporting of American jobs, increased trade deficits with Communist China to unbelievable levels, and then passed TARP on their way out the door, and gave the store away. Brilliant scam.
cap n tax, restrictions on our energy plus deficits that obama has created with insane labor laws is the reason jobs go bye bye. When we restrict our energy like coal and oil China makes huge gains. The incandescent bulb was made in America while GE make the mercury cfl in China. U reap what u saw with environmentalism and insane taxes and regulations.
Go Bachy Go

Minneapolis, MN

#125 Jan 23, 2011
Representative Bachmann will be much better than RINO Pawlenty. Better at sending our country over the cliff.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawsuit accuses Iowa boarding school of culture... (Mar '16) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 3
News Pence rallying GOP base in Iowa, where some coo... Jun '17 Putins Glock Holster 6
News Planned Parenthood to close 4 Iowa clinics afte... May '17 Lawrence Wolf 29
News Fight Over Planned Parenthood Funding Could Los... Apr '17 RuffnReddy 1
News Iowa bill would let woman sue doctors who perfo... (Jan '17) Jan '17 cpeter1313 4
News Grab your 12-gauge, Dick - it's time to trim Th... (Mar '08) Nov '16 venus from orlando 42
News Fuerstenau Farms, Mallard, Receives 2016 Iowa F... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web