Bill would make U of Iowa to sell Jac...

Bill would make U of Iowa to sell Jackson Pollock painting

There are 7 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 10, 2011, titled Bill would make U of Iowa to sell Jackson Pollock painting. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

DES MOINES, Iowa - A bill proposed in the Iowa House of Representatives would force the University of Iowa to sell its famed and valuable Jackson Pollock painting, "Mural." The Iowa City Press-Citizen says the painting was valued at $140 million in 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

HogEyes

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 10, 2011
Way to have culture down there. I bet if it was a portrait of a pig they would want to keep it.
name

San Francisco, CA

#2 Feb 10, 2011
HogEyes wrote:
Way to have culture down there. I bet if it was a portrait of a pig they would want to keep it.
Why does 'culture' need to be publicly funded?
Jackpine savage

Gilbert, AZ

#3 Feb 10, 2011
Only a repub from suburban Desolate Moines could do this! Short term thinkers abound.
Winthorp

Amery, WI

#4 Feb 10, 2011
Sel, Sell, Sell!
joe

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 10, 2011
What idiots. Selling a priceless work of art just because some redneck hillbilly doesn't appreciate it. It makes me sick
simple math

Hastings, MN

#6 Feb 10, 2011
name wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does 'culture' need to be publicly funded?
The painting was a gift. How is it "publicly funded"?
(That's quite aside from any debate of the suggestion that "culture" should or should not be publicly funded.)
Just DUMB

Perry, MI

#7 Feb 10, 2011
Who would ever thought it would be valued at 140 million when it was donated? If there is ever a fire, its worthless to the state and the University.

Yeah, wouldn't want to allow the state to get smarter by educating 750-1,000 more students a year for almost 30 years!

We place way too much value on materialist items!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawsuit accuses Iowa boarding school of culture... (Mar '16) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 3
News Pence rallying GOP base in Iowa, where some coo... Jun '17 Putins Glock Holster 6
News Planned Parenthood to close 4 Iowa clinics afte... May '17 Lawrence Wolf 29
News Fight Over Planned Parenthood Funding Could Los... Apr '17 RuffnReddy 1
News Iowa bill would let woman sue doctors who perfo... (Jan '17) Jan '17 cpeter1313 4
News Grab your 12-gauge, Dick - it's time to trim Th... (Mar '08) Nov '16 venus from orlando 42
News Fuerstenau Farms, Mallard, Receives 2016 Iowa F... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web