Gay Marriage Could Hinge On Iowa Spec...

Gay Marriage Could Hinge On Iowa Special Election

There are 9 comments on the WOWT-TV Omaha story from Oct 16, 2011, titled Gay Marriage Could Hinge On Iowa Special Election. In it, WOWT-TV Omaha reports that:

A special election for a state Senate seat could threaten Iowa's status as the only Midwestern state where gay couples can marry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOWT-TV Omaha.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Oct 16, 2011
It'll ultimately have to be decided by SCOTUS and in the meantime they'll be a patchwork of states that have it and states will go back and forth between granting it and banning it. It'll be a tug of war between those for equality and those for oppression. I can't believe that taxpayers would allow their money to be spent on discrimination against gays.

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland, OH

#2 Oct 16, 2011
equalityboy81 wrote:
I can't believe that taxpayers would allow their money to be spent on discrimination against gays.
Those who are working against justice for LGBT citizens have shown time and again that they are not concerned with the costs of enshrining their bigotry in law. After all, they are willing to hurt vulnerable children (breaking up existing families, denying families legal rights, and stopping LGBT potential adoptive parents from adopting in the first place), hurting the economy (distracting lawmakers from addressing pressing economic issues in favour of taking away LGBT rights.) And they are more than willing to twist the message of forgiveness and love that is the core of Christian teachings in order to promote hate.
REALITY CHECK

Pekin, IL

#3 Oct 16, 2011
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who are working against justice for LGBT citizens have shown time and again that they are not concerned with the costs of enshrining their bigotry in law. After all, they are willing to hurt vulnerable children (breaking up existing families, denying families legal rights, and stopping LGBT potential adoptive parents from adopting in the first place), hurting the economy (distracting lawmakers from addressing pressing economic issues in favour of taking away LGBT rights.) And they are more than willing to twist the message of forgiveness and love that is the core of Christian teachings in order to promote hate.
It is you homofascists who concocted the failed philosophy of homosexual 'marriage,' and chose to waste millions on it despite the fact that no significant percentage of the homosexual population has 'married' in ANY country that allows it. The money would have been better spent to educate young people who choose a homosexual lifestyle about the pitfalls of HIV/AIDS. They remain the largest category of new infection.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Oct 16, 2011
And heterosexuals are the largest vectors of transmission of incurable tuberculosis.

Let's outlaw heterosexual marriage.
flier

Commerce City, CO

#5 Oct 16, 2011
I see the troll from Illinois is back....crawl back under your bridge....

I would suggest you look at the statistics about how long committed same-sex relationships last as compared to the straight community. Where same-sex couples are allowed to marry, the statistics about the quality of the relationships and how long they last compared to their straight counterparts are pretty compelling.

That aside....what are you so afraid of....how does my marriage to my same-sex partner in any way damage your already damaged lifestyle of hate and bigotry?

Have a nice day!
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Oct 16, 2011
REALITY CHECK wrote:
<quoted text>It is you homofascists who concocted the failed philosophy of homosexual 'marriage,' and chose to waste millions on it despite the fact that no significant percentage of the homosexual population has 'married' in ANY country that allows it. The money would have been better spent to educate young people who choose a homosexual lifestyle about the pitfalls of HIV/AIDS. They remain the largest category of new infection.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." -MLK Jr.

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland, OH

#7 Oct 16, 2011
Our troll knows nothing about LGBT people.

I've been with my same-sex partner in a monogamous relationship for 23 years now. We're Canadians and are legally married. And the world hasn't ended for Canada despite the whole country having legal same-sex marriage now since about 2003. The world hasn't ended for other places that have decided to legalize same-sex relationships either.

My spouse has an aunt who is a lesbian. She and her partner met in the 1950s and are still happily together. They are grandparents -- maybe even great-grandparents -- I can't keep track of that side of the family! They live in Michigan.

We know lots of same-sex couples who have been together for a decade or two or more. The length of same-sex relationships isn't really that different from the length of opposite-sex relationships. Some break up but there are plenty that last quite a while.

And there are lots of same-sex couples, like the lesbian aunt and her partner, and me and my spouse, who are parents with kids.

I have yet to see ANY reason that makes any sense to explain why same-sex couples should be treated differently from a legal standpoint than opposite-sex couples. We have the same legal needs for recognition of our marriages as any heterosexual couple.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#8 Oct 17, 2011
My spouse and I can see our 40th anniverary dawning over the horizon, and nothing the phobs have done, or will do, has been able to seperate us. We have spent thousands of dollars to insure that should either of us die, the other will be secure. Those thousands could have been added to our retirement fund, had we had marriage available to us. We hope that in the not to distant future that everyone will have the choice and availability of marriage equality, and that they will not have to take the extreme measures we have had to in order to protect ourselves. And should it become available in our lifetimes, we will jump to take advantage of it. And we will continue to support the efforts to gain that right until the day we are laid to rest.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#9 Oct 17, 2011
REALITY CHECK wrote:
<quoted text>It is you homofascists who concocted the failed philosophy of homosexual 'marriage,' and chose to waste millions on it despite the fact that no significant percentage of the homosexual population has 'married' in ANY country that allows it. The money would have been better spent to educate young people who choose a homosexual lifestyle about the pitfalls of HIV/AIDS. They remain the largest category of new infection.
"Reality Check" THIS:

Another poster replied with this the last time your pet phrase was posted. Let's revisit it's reality.

----

309,000,000 Americans X 3% Gay Americans = 9,270,000.

9,270,000 Gay Americans / 50 States = 185,400 Gay Americans per State

185,400 Gay Americans per State X 6 States that allow Gay Marriage = 1,112,400

131,729 Reported Gay Marriages X 2 = 262,458 Gay Americans in a Marriage

(262,458 Gay Americans in a Marriage / 1,112,400 X 100)= 23.6%

So proportionally, 23.6% of gay people are in a gay marriage. This rate would go up if you included civil unions and domestic partnerships. That means that about 1/4 of gay people are in a committed monogamous relationship.

Let's do heterosexuals now.

309,000,000 Americans X .97 Straight Americans = 299,730,000

According to the Census, a total of 114,567,419 households were reported.

Of those, 48.6% were reported as married couples.

114,567,419 X .486 = 55,679,765 married couples.

55,679,765 married couples X 2 = 111,359,539 married people.

299,730,000 Straight Americans / 111,359,539 married people X 100 = 37.1%.

So 23.1% of gay and lesbian Americans are reported to be in a marriage, and 37.1% of straight Americans are reported to be in a marriage.

That discrepancy has a lot of factors involved, but it does reveal that gays and lesbians are entering committed, monogamous relationships at steadily increasing rates, and the more accepting the society is for GLBT people, the more quickly you will see the two percentages become closer.

Isn't math fun?
Math is fun, isn't it?

----------

Check THAT Reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lawsuit accuses Iowa boarding school of culture... (Mar '16) Jun '17 AmPieJam UncleSam 3
News Pence rallying GOP base in Iowa, where some coo... Jun '17 Putins Glock Holster 6
News Planned Parenthood to close 4 Iowa clinics afte... May '17 Lawrence Wolf 29
News Fight Over Planned Parenthood Funding Could Los... Apr '17 RuffnReddy 1
News Iowa bill would let woman sue doctors who perfo... (Jan '17) Jan '17 cpeter1313 4
News Grab your 12-gauge, Dick - it's time to trim Th... (Mar '08) Nov '16 venus from orlando 42
News Fuerstenau Farms, Mallard, Receives 2016 Iowa F... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Stephany McDowell 1
More from around the web