Iowa Lawmakers Target Families

Feb 2, 2011 Full story: EDGEnewyork.com News Feed 30

Here we go again? The rights of gay and lesbian families might come before voters once more--this time in Iowa Emboldened by voters' rejection of three state Supreme Court justices who upheld the rights of gay and lesbian families, lawmakers in Iowa are pursuing an amendment to the state constitution that would rescind marriage equality--and deny ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#24 Feb 2, 2011
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when? Iowa can't retract? Really. Name the counties or major cities in Iowa. You can start naming them and I would not even know about them. Yeah, there is Davenport, Des Moines (sounds real gay), Council Bluffs (which sounds like a gay porno) and that is about it...... With a state surrounded so much farm land and religionists, you do not think they will divorce all those gays and overturn their marriage? Certainly...... and there is not a single KKK member in Alabama......
Steven, because of the way laws are written, they rarely are de facto which means they can't go backwards and nullify that which has already been done. Remember, I'm not a lawyer.....so, I could be wrong.......I might be wrong in my wording, but I'm pretty certain that once marriages are legal, they can't be illegal......just future ones would not be allowed to be recognized!!!!!

Hell, I've never been to Iowa, but that doesn't mean I haven 't learned a thing or two about their laws and Constitution.

Sorry, but trying to invalidate legal marriages already performed would be just asking for a HUGE lawsuit by ALL the Same-Sex Couples who have been married since 2009.

“I am happy”

Since: Jul 08

St. Petersburg, FL

#25 Feb 2, 2011
Rose T-H wrote:
<quoted text>
Steven, because of the way laws are written, they rarely are de facto which means they can't go backwards and nullify that which has already been done. Remember, I'm not a lawyer.....so, I could be wrong.......I might be wrong in my wording, but I'm pretty certain that once marriages are legal, they can't be illegal......just future ones would not be allowed to be recognized!!!!!
Hell, I've never been to Iowa, but that doesn't mean I haven 't learned a thing or two about their laws and Constitution.
Sorry, but trying to invalidate legal marriages already performed would be just asking for a HUGE lawsuit by ALL the Same-Sex Couples who have been married since 2009.
That is wonderful, but what is to stop them from doing it? Come on. I get it very well, but given the inspiration, Iowa is not California and present marriages laws are being chipped away at like it is the MAIN priority. You do not think these bigots will not try to retroact law? Think again. You will be surprised.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#26 Feb 2, 2011
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>
That is wonderful, but what is to stop them from doing it? Come on. I get it very well, but given the inspiration, Iowa is not California and present marriages laws are being chipped away at like it is the MAIN priority. You do not think these bigots will not try to retroact law? Think again. You will be surprised.
Nothing will stop them from at least attempting to try and do it.......but like I said earlier......the Democratic Leader in the Senate won't even allow it to come up for a vote.......at least not this year.

The thing is in Iowa........a proposed amendment has to pass both the House and Senate by simple majorities for 2 consecutive sessions before it can go to the voters in a General Election. If this doesn't pass the Senate, then it's a dead issue for this year. Next year the process will start ALL OVER again.......the longer a vote isn't passed in both the House and the Senate......the longer it takes to get to the voters, if at all.

Steven, trust me.......nothing surprises me about the bigots!!!

“II Samuel 1:26”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#27 Feb 2, 2011
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>
That is wonderful, but what is to stop them from doing it? Come on. I get it very well, but given the inspiration, Iowa is not California and present marriages laws are being chipped away at like it is the MAIN priority. You do not think these bigots will not try to retroact law? Think again. You will be surprised.
Your concern is understandable since you are from Florida. Your state (and my home state) has swung waaaaaaaaay to the right. And, Iowa has moved to the right as well. However, their constitution (as Rose has already mentioned) is MUCH more difficult to amend. The process was much easier for the bigots in California ... there is no comparison here. While there is reason to be concerned, this is not the time to panic about it.

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

#28 Feb 3, 2011
Hi Rose, Doing well thanks and you and yours? I know and get your point. Just always amazes me how the "conservatives and religious" act more like thugs and haters. As in Humberto's FOAD below. And these same people say they have nothing to do with the shootings in Tuscon??? Yes they do, they spread hate and anger to confuse, inflame and harm. They do not realize their heroes Palin and Limbaugh get paid they don't. But does show how robotic the GOP members are about "Step In Line" or being sheep. Guess that is why the church and GOP connections are so strong. Both control freaks.
Rose T-H wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey OutVoice,
How you doing? Hope all is well with you and yours:)
R1 needs the attention.......that's why he and his multiple self's have to come into every thread and make worthless comments or use the lil judging icons........he just can't help himself........best to ignore him like his buddy David Moore!!!!
Rose

Watseka, IL

#29 Feb 3, 2011
humberto wrote:
Stupid queers.
Excellent post! Thanks for sharing.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#30 Feb 3, 2011
OutVoice wrote:
Hi Rose, Doing well thanks and you and yours? I know and get your point. Just always amazes me how the "conservatives and religious" act more like thugs and haters. As in Humberto's FOAD below. And these same people say they have nothing to do with the shootings in Tuscon??? Yes they do, they spread hate and anger to confuse, inflame and harm. They do not realize their heroes Palin and Limbaugh get paid they don't. But does show how robotic the GOP members are about "Step In Line" or being sheep. Guess that is why the church and GOP connections are so strong. Both control freaks.
<quoted text>
We are doing as well as can be expected in these economic hard times!

I agree with your sentiments.......and this is why Church and State NEED to remain separate.

Since: Jun 08

Redlands, CA

#31 Feb 3, 2011
StevenFL wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's hoping, but they did stop the marriages in California and managed to have equality reversed in Maine, so what is so special about Iowa?
I'm talking about the people who got married already..........

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

#32 Feb 4, 2011
Look at all the "religious-right"! Of course we all know they are neither. Guess judging on a GLBT board takes priority over church? LOL
The Troll Stopper

Elliston, VA

#33 Feb 4, 2011
Jay aka David Moore the Pekin Troll wrote:
Trolling trolling trolling...
Hi Molester Moore. Bye Molester Moore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Iowa Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AIDS Researchers Among Dead In Malaysian Flight... Jul '14 Money is God 1
La Raza Demands Amnesty Vote from New Maj. Lead... Jul '14 S K R E W Them 2
McCarthy elected new House majority leader Jun '14 barefoot2626 34
Capital Journal Daybreak: U.S., Iran Near Talks... Jun '14 Jeff Brightone 1
Tea Pary-backed Rep. Labrador jumps into House ... Jun '14 barefoot2626 6
Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage... (Jun '10) Jun '14 slayer rules 411
Iowa mother thankful for cannabis oil vote May '14 ohsuzanna 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Iowa Government People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••