Costco will begin accepting food stamps - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Costco Wholesale Corp. said yesterday that it would start accepting food stamps from the 36 million Americans that use them at its warehouse clubs nationwide.
Comments
1 - 20 of 556 Comments Last updated Dec 23, 2013
First Prev
of 28
Next Last
noend

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

half of the people receiving food stamps are liars....the other half are nothing but cheats...we should have more investigations on these people....this one of the main raesons this country is in the mess it is today
Gringo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

When standing in line with my groceries. These EBT shoppers in front of me have steak,shrimp, and some very expensive stuff I get very jealous. My groceries include hamburger and anything that is on sale. Several times before entering the store I have been approached by these people that want to go shopping with me and when they pay I pay them back 3/4 of the bill. Kinda tempting but I refuse to supplement their addictions
huh

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

noend wrote:
half of the people receiving food stamps are liars....the other half are nothing but cheats...we should have more investigations on these people....this one of the main raesons this country is in the mess it is today
your type of hate becomes worse during hard times

you may think it is ok to blab your mouth with whatever comes out --- but if you spent your life loyal to a company and you are thrown onto the street with no work and bad economy with a family to feed --- you would take the assistance too

you should ask yourself noend --- what have you done to contribute to our community (beside taking cheap shots at our brothers and sisters that have fallen on hard times)
Karl Marx

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Food stamps are paid by the taxpayer, in the long run, those unemployed receiving food stamps will be seen as parasites and will be hated.
But we, Bolsheviks,will organize the unemployed,we consider them as Workers.Its not their fault to be unemployed ,its due to the decline of Capitalism.
Lani

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

This was news to me that Costco did not accept food stamps. EBT customers have been wasting money at small markets buying small, overpriced items like 5 lb bags of rice. There should be a value quota on what can be bought with taxpayer money.
Karl Marx

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Lani wrote:
This was news to me that Costco did not accept food stamps. EBT customers have been wasting money at small markets buying small, overpriced items like 5 lb bags of rice. There should be a value quota on what can be bought with taxpayer money.
I agree with you. A value quota can never be enforced. Look at all the section 8er's with Nissan Titans and large flatscreen TV's subsidized by the US taxpayers. They obviously can pay more in rent.
Honesty

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Food Stamp Users can go to hell....Costco should not do this...I don't want to stand in line with these filthy filthy people.
Von

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Interesting article in USA Today, yesterday. If the link will show up here?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/reta...

First Costco said we don't need to accept food stamps just like Wal Mart said so then Costco set up a test store in NYC to see if anyone would use the food stamps? They said we have affluent customers and they won't use food stamps. The after the test and customers flooded the store they tested a few more stores and all of them were also flooded with food stamp customers. Costco then said ok we were wrong and so we will use food stamps in all of our stores state by state.

Wal Mart will be next. Wal Mart said some time ago said "oh, we don't have that kind of customer", but what they won't tell you is that most of their workers are on foot stamps.

I am for it.
whoever

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Think of this as an opportunity to witness re-distribution of wealth from a front row seat. While hard working taxpayers are standing in line with their toilet paper and ground meat they can witness the societal looters stock up on prime rib and the excellent seafood's Costco has available.

It already happens on a smaller scale in our local grocery stores but it's easier to look away when it's just Safeway. It will be like being hit with a 2x4 when it's Costco sized welfare abuse. Just wait, it will be good for the soul. Maybe a few warm and fuzzy social liberals light bulbs will go off.
loco moco

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

"These people are already Costco members," she said. "This economy is happening to not just the working middle poor, it's happening to the middle class right now."

Yeah, I'll second that emotion. Worked 33 years straight and laid off just like that. Thanks, wall street ponks.

But it's pretty sick that they were allowed to refuse food stamps up until now. I still have a few green frog skins to spend before I have to go on food stamps. But I'd boycott any store that refuses to accept them.
yep

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Stumpy wrote:
Is the Costco security staff ready to deal with the domestics in the parking lot, the auto break-ins, the busted windhields, the handicap parking abusers, the panhandling, the trash, and all the other reasons that people pay membership to avoid? The lines are already long enough without waiting for some EBT abuser argueing with the cashier about why can't he buy Heinekin and Kools with the EBT. Maybe they'll just do like Tamura Market and let them buy it with the EBT.
chill out dude --- stop trying to sound like an expert in all this
nobody tries to use EBT for green bottles
I'll give you the breakdown

2 lb pork butt --- six pack
4 lb Costco sirloin steak --- cold pack
5 lb Costco king crab --- one case plus one small packet

willie

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Food stamps, the new currency of the new administration.
loco moco

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Honesty wrote:
Food Stamp Users can go to hell....Costco should not do this...I don't want to stand in line with these filthy filthy people.
Betta watch out, brah. Nevah know when you might fall through da safety net. Waikoloa way too dry for grow veggies in da back yard. I going wait for your cookbook, "1000 Ways to Prepare Panini".
Von

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

whoever wrote:
Think of this as an opportunity to witness re-distribution of wealth from a front row seat. While hard working taxpayers are standing in line with their toilet paper and ground meat they can witness the societal looters stock up on prime rib and the excellent seafood's Costco has available.
It already happens on a smaller scale in our local grocery stores but it's easier to look away when it's just Safeway. It will be like being hit with a 2x4 when it's Costco sized welfare abuse. Just wait, it will be good for the soul. Maybe a few warm and fuzzy social liberals light bulbs will go off.
You will never know who is using food stamps because they use the debit card instead of actual food stamps. Yet you can tell just by looking into the shopping cart though. If the cart is stacked so high until the crab legs are falling out into the floor then its food stamps. Also if the card holder is over 300 pounds then that is a clear tell-tell give away.

Don't knock it though. Last night I had crab lag rice sushi. Five types of sashimi, bananas, custard pie and a case of the best beer I could find. Of course you use can't use food stamps for beer, but they will run the card through two times. One for food and one for cash. They will ask you also before you leave if would you like cash? I always say no, because I have enough cash, Thank you.
H Mob

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Karl Marx wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you. A value quota can never be enforced. Look at all the section 8er's with Nissan Titans and large flatscreen TV's subsidized by the US taxpayers. They obviously can pay more in rent.
couldn't agree with you more. take a peek at KPT, Kam IV, Halawa... Escalade's with rims, sounds, and TV!
agapito

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

noend wrote:
The amount a corporation like Halliburton cheated the taxpayers is more than all food stamp cheaters put together.
alice

Hanalei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

I thoughtt nhey already did
Von

Aiea, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

From KHON:
"Costco will begin accepting food stamps nationwide. The wholesale company made the decision after testing food stamps at stores in New York. Itís a big about-face for a retailer that has catered to more affluent shoppers.
Itís also a sign of the grim economy facing retailers and their customers. Company officials say many new members are joining solely because the company accepted the assistant program."

I wanted to point this out and then I will leave you all alone. I'll have to go shopping again now because I need more crab legs and beer.

None of the huge box office stores wanted to accept food stamps. Sam's Club was the first one. As you may have noticed all the other huge stores were watching as the Sam's Club memberships started to increase while their memberships started decreasing. Now it's clear as crystal if they want to get back their old customers their going to have to change their stratagy 100% which they are doing.

Have a nice day! Hummmmmmm, what's a good wine with, pumpkin pie, sashimi, crab legs and sushi?
Fisherman

Lanai City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Oh, no. I thought you have to have an 'association' that you were connected to, that was related to employment?
Now, the isles will be full of fat ladies with 8 kids running up and down yelling and pushing.
This could be a bad move for COSTCO.
Come on Fisherman, take a bad thing and make it good. Next time you go to Maui, find someone with an EBT card and offer them 50 cents on the dollar to go in and buy a cart full of shrimp, crab and steaks!-Then they can buy their cigarettes and beer- it's a WIN WIN!
bumpercrop

Ewa Beach, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

Judged:

Oh how those giant bags and boxes of snack food are going to fly off the shelves. Chips, candy, cookies, wow. Hope those guys have trucks to take their (taxpayer paid for) goodies home.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 28
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hawaii Discussions

Search the Hawaii Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Micronesian in Hawaii (Aug '11) Jul 21 Quandry 540
Depression strengthens into Tropical Storm Wali... Jul 19 Neil 9
Isle housing bottom seen - Business (Apr '09) Jul 17 moi hole 61,754
Army to resume live-fire training at Makua (Jul '09) Jul 8 Prescott-Nanakuli 3
Gay couples hope legislation makes Hawaii first... (Feb '09) Jun 25 Jon Tyme 16,144
Kawananakoa 'has the genealogy' for Royal Mauso... (Jun '13) Jun '14 Anonymous 2
Gabbard calls for Hawaii VA director to be fired Jun '14 Ai BlowS DEMS _REPUBS 2
•••
•••