Should Georgia apologize for slavery?

Should Georgia apologize for slavery?

There are 9599 comments on the Peach Pundit story from Mar 8, 2007, titled Should Georgia apologize for slavery?. In it, Peach Pundit reports that:

The Georgia NAACP thinks so: "The time is right for Georgia to take a bold stand and apologize to its citizens for slavery and segregation in our state," said NAACP President Edward O. DuBose at the press ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Peach Pundit.

First Prev
of 480
Next Last
George S

Birmingham, AL

#10337 May 27, 2013
Georgia should apologize for CNN.
zapper

Collinsville, VA

#10338 May 29, 2013
Apologize for what, the fact that the stronger black tribes captured and sold the slave decendants which were the weaker tribes did them a favor, better health wealth, it aint like ethiopia somalia darfur or any of those other wonderful places where they come rape the woman and hack off the arms of the men, take there food. Unless blacks of course want to go back to the homeland for that
no one cares

Russia

#10339 May 29, 2013
no one cares
MarineInGeorgia

Hawkinsville, GA

#10340 Jul 28, 2013
curious in MO wrote:
And you are full of shit. Georgia should never have to apologize for what happened in past history. One of my best friends is a black woman and I work with many more that I would trust more than I would some white people. It's people like you that keep racism alive in this country.
I am a black man born and raised in Georgia; although I know and see the signs of racism frequently in the area, I feel that acknowledging this ignorance gives them more power. I'm not saying that there should be no repercussions for exhibiting hate or racial crimes and things of that nature. We give them power by the acknowledgement and acting out. They are beneath me and I treat and make them know it.
MarineInGeorgia

Hawkinsville, GA

#10341 Jul 28, 2013
5thWardCircleCityofAngels wrote:
<quoted text>
95% OF BLACK PEOPLE ARE ON WELFARE lOL...GOTTA LOVE REDNECK MATH i TELL YA
I always find it funny to hear that slavery was ANCIENT history. I personally knew at least 3 women who were the daughters of slaves...and I'm only 37 yrs old.
Just another example of the ignorance that is alive in Georgia. Lord help this lost individual.
Ted

Spokane, WA

#10345 Dec 11, 2013
Ok then on that note should every state and government apologise to the Native Americans for there state government sanctioned genocide and relocation?

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#10346 Dec 22, 2013
The real question should be "Should AFRICA apologize for SELLING slaves?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#10347 Dec 22, 2013
Should all those on welfare and other socialist programs repay those who pay the taxes to support the socialist programs? I say they should. No one on any government welfare program and not paying taxes should be allowed to tell those who are paying taxes how to spend their tax money. Those on welfare shouldn't be allowed to vote.
hmmmmm

Humbird, WI

#10348 Dec 29, 2013
Thats like Jacob apologizing for what Jack did. There's only one way to settle this... . just let it go... for the record Rome also had slaves.. from many countries. .. both white and black. ... now whoever started the slavery idea I hope they enjoy their rotting in hell. History is about learning not feeding past vendettas. Mankind needs some help. Thats for sure.

Since: Dec 13

Regina, Canada

#10349 Dec 30, 2013
If people let race be topic of everyday issues. Then racism will never stop. People need to look past colour. We are all reside on this earth. it's about we act like we live on it together.

People who refuse to learn from the past are the real idiots of this world. And they are the reason why we can't move forward. History has shown mankind can be the most cruel people to walk the earth. Too many lives have been taken away due to mans greed for power. It's about for a positive change in this world.

Hate does consume peoples hearts. Hate shortens your life. Maybe that's a punishment we all deserve if we let it go on. Learn to love more people. Life is too short as it is. Live life to the fullest. It's about time we all become more optimistic!!!:)

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Waters Creek, GA

#10350 Dec 31, 2013
Love2End wrote:
History has shown mankind can be the most cruel people to walk the earth.
What other kind of people walk the earth?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#10351 Jan 1, 2014
Love2End wrote:
If people let race be topic of everyday issues. Then racism will never stop. People need to look past colour. We are all reside on this earth. it's about we act like we live on it together.
People who refuse to learn from the past are the real idiots of this world. And they are the reason why we can't move forward. History has shown mankind can be the most cruel people to walk the earth. Too many lives have been taken away due to mans greed for power. It's about for a positive change in this world.
Hate does consume peoples hearts. Hate shortens your life. Maybe that's a punishment we all deserve if we let it go on. Learn to love more people. Life is too short as it is. Live life to the fullest. It's about time we all become more optimistic!!!:)
The slave trade has been a long tradition in Africa and is still practiced in places like Sudan where a slave can be purchased from black muslims for as low as $100 each. I guess those who call themselves with pride, African Americans, don't know or care much about history or current events. I would never have any pride in a place which still practiced slavery, but to each their own. BTW, before obama was elected a slave could have been purchased and freed for only $40/ea, but his devaluation of the American dollar has caused the rise in the amount it now takes to buy and free a slave. This is one thing for which obama and his cohorts can take full responsibility. Bless his little heart.

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#10352 Jan 1, 2014
lighteredknot wrote:
<quoted text>The slave trade has been a long tradition in Africa and is still practiced in places like Sudan where a slave can be purchased from black muslims for as low as $100 each. I guess those who call themselves with pride, African Americans, don't know or care much about history or current events. I would never have any pride in a place which still practiced slavery, but to each their own. BTW, before obama was elected a slave could have been purchased and freed for only $40/ea, but his devaluation of the American dollar has caused the rise in the amount it now takes to buy and free a slave. This is one thing for which obama and his cohorts can take full responsibility. Bless his little heart.
Slavery has always existed and will continue in the future. It's a crime against humanity.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#10353 Jan 2, 2014
Phoenix Ascended wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery has always existed and will continue in the future. It's a crime against humanity.
Why do Africans allow black muslims in Sudan to enslave Africans? It must be a black thing I don't understand. I wish someone would enlighten me why Africans permit such an atrocity to exist.
Ralph

Murfreesboro, TN

#10355 Jan 20, 2014
New Your, Boston and Charelston were the chief ports and trade hubs for Slaves.
New York and Boston in particular.
Remember the the Irish Potato Famine? england threw out a lot of Irish that came to America. Northern Industrialists got rid of their Slaves because it was cheaper to pay the Irish ten cents a day and let them provide their own food, housing, clothing and care. If an Irish fell dead on the job or didn't show up there was a line of Irish eager for the position. Thus the term Wage Slavery.
Those demanding Georgia or whomever apologize or pay reperations are Racists, Bigots and Trouble Makers.
The first day of the last Administration the first things out of the his mouth was about race.
We are now being engaged in a war on everyone viewed as benefiting from a "white privilege. " You don't have to be white to be a victim of this racist agenda. The SPLC is one ,of the devils in league to destroy America, perhps the chief one including Jesse Jackson, calling for Draconian Action against Americans exercising the Second Amendment, Al Sharpton and other Racist using the Race card to feather their nest by continously stirring the pot with cries of Racism.
bahce

Istanbul, Turkey

#10356 Jan 23, 2014

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#10357 Jan 23, 2014
Slaves were property stolen from slave holders. Maybe as soon as the federal government pays for sealing the property they stole they will receive the apologies they are now begging for. Reciprocity works, but the government never learned this fact for what it has stolen.
I Can Solve This

AOL

#10358 Jan 26, 2014
OMG! Every white person who has ever OWNED a slave is ordered to report immediately to the steps of the Georgia State Capitol and profusely offer their apologies for this crime they did not commit. Every black person who has ever BEEN a slave is cordially invited to go to the steps of the Georgia State Capitol and receive an apology for something that did not happen to them.
Any white person who has never owned a slave is exempted from this, as is any black person who has never been a slave. However, if you have ever personally witnessed a slave being mistreated, you are welcome to go watch this group apology.
There! Everybody happy?
Roofis wit da Gold Toofis

Lakeland, FL

#10360 Jan 27, 2014
I Can Solve This wrote:
OMG! Every white person who has ever OWNED a slave is ordered to report immediately to the steps of the Georgia State Capitol and profusely offer their apologies for this crime they did not commit. Every black person who has ever BEEN a slave is cordially invited to go to the steps of the Georgia State Capitol and receive an apology for something that did not happen to them.
Any white person who has never owned a slave is exempted from this, as is any black person who has never been a slave. However, if you have ever personally witnessed a slave being mistreated, you are welcome to go watch this group apology.
There! Everybody happy?
lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 480
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rep. Jones Calls for July 4th Boycott of Stone ... 20 hr joe 1
News US Capitol's Confederate statues prompt renewed... Sat Adolph lives 130
News Memoried Glances: LaGrange in 1915 a " Give dow... Sat Will Dockery 1
News Meet 59-year-old David Hooks, the latest drug r... (Nov '14) Sat Carmen 41
women who want to mess around with married men (Jun '09) Jul 3 Dan Bell 30
Web Starts free site of the Month Jul 2 Ina 1
News Court reinstates Gordon city attorney Jul 1 Faith Lue 1
More from around the web