Plans to drug test welfare recipients get momentum

Feb 24, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KBCI CBS 2

Conservatives who say welfare recipients should have to pass a drug test to receive government assistance have momentum on their side.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of123
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
halito

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

A parent gave her kids heroin???? What is paregoric??
halito

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

How many ways are opiates distributed via perscription?
halito

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Who is or was the Thebane Army?
halito

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

What do pomagranates and poppy seeds have in common? Under a microscope?
Odumbas s Policies

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

Grrrrrrrreat,it is about time.
Romneys Airtight Crate

Newark, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

That's okay so long as every R. lawmaker's liver gets checked out for alcohol abuse. They're on the dole, too. Same for all Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries. And don't forget Pell Grant awardees.

Oh wait, you mean those categories don't satisfy the race and class bigotries of the folks proposing drug testing for welfare recipients? I never would have guessed.

Blytheville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

I agree drug test them. But what I am worried about is the kids though.
rocky

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

Romneys Airtight Crate wrote:
That's okay so long as every R. lawmaker's liver gets checked out for alcohol abuse. They're on the dole, too. Same for all Social Security and Medicare beneficiaries. And don't forget Pell Grant awardees.
Oh wait, you mean those categories don't satisfy the race and class bigotries of the folks proposing drug testing for welfare recipients? I never would have guessed.
The last time I looked alcohol is a legal substance.What is your point?
rocky

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

I will lose my job and my income if I am tested positive for drugs where I work.Why shouldn't welfare recipients also be tested?After all,the people whose taxes pay for welfare are subject to drug testing by their employers.Why should my tax dollars go to someones drug habit?
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

TALLAHASSEE --
Since the state began testing welfare applicants for drugs in July, about 2 percent have tested positive, preliminary data shows.

Ninety-six percent proved to be drug free -- leaving the state on the hook to reimburse the cost of their tests.

The initiative may save the state a few dollars anyway, bearing out one of Gov. Rick Scott's arguments for implementing it. But the low test fail-rate undercuts another of his arguments: that people on welfare are more likely to use drugs.

At Scott's urging, the Legislature implemented the new requirement earlier this year that applicants for temporary cash assistance pass a drug test before collecting any benefits.

The law, which took effect July 1, requires applicants to pay for their own drug tests. Those who test drug-free are reimbursed by the state, and those who fail cannot receive benefits for a year.

More than once, Scott has said publicly that people on welfare use drugs at a higher rate than the general population. The 2 percent test fail rate seen by DCF, however, does not bear that out.

www2.tbo.com/.../3/welfare-drug-testing-&... ...- Cached
Romneys Airtight Crate

Newark, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

rocky wrote:
<quoted text>
The last time I looked alcohol is a legal substance.What is your point?
My point is that you're a moron, because alcohol (and tobacco) cause far more damage each year than all the illegal drugs, and alcohol impairs judgement. Do you want R. politicians to have impaired judgement? Wait, don't answer.

Alcohol's being legal is merely a matter of the political standing of those who typically use it, relative to say, marijuana. They're more powerful.

Of course alcohol should not be illegal. Most drugs should be decriminalized, and drug abuse should be treated mostly as a health issue, not cause for a "war on drugs."

Finally, I was making a point about the obvious selectivity of this welfare drug testing idea, that it's race and class based.

BTW, from the inanity of your post I think we need to check your liver function and your blood alcohol level, you cretin.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

rocky wrote:
I will lose my job and my income if I am tested positive for drugs where I work.Why shouldn't welfare recipients also be tested?After all,the people whose taxes pay for welfare are subject to drug testing by their employers.Why should my tax dollars go to someones drug habit?

Your tax dollars are used to pay politicians.
Insurance companies came up with that crap years ago to get more money out of employers so now virtually every employer does testing to recieve a discount.
Random testing will save you even more money.
They could give a crap about drugs or alcohol, it's all about $$$
Stratton

Arlington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

I don't agree with mandatory drug testing for anything. It's contrary to the idea of innocent until proven guilty, instead it becomes "Prove you're not on drugs or we'll assume you are." That's not America.(And I am not a drug user.)

What we should do is crack down on the massive amount of welfare fraud that is being committed by people who are quite sober while they are cheating the taxpayers.
radiofreeamerica

Tarpon Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

I*d like to know why the F liberals dont support this idea.You need a drug test to get a job with major coorporations so why not in this case?Opposing this is a stupid response by democrats and if they continue with idiotic positions like this they will lose in Nov. despite Republican suicide that is occuring every night on TV.
American worker

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

Judged:

Wall Street Government wrote:
TALLAHASSEE --
Since the state began testing welfare applicants for drugs in July, about 2 percent have tested positive, preliminary data shows.
Ninety-six percent proved to be drug free -- leaving the state on the hook to reimburse the cost of their tests.
The initiative may save the state a few dollars anyway, bearing out one of Gov. Rick Scott's arguments for implementing it. But the low test fail-rate undercuts another of his arguments: that people on welfare are more likely to use drugs.
At Scott's urging, the Legislature implemented the new requirement earlier this year that applicants for temporary cash assistance pass a drug test before collecting any benefits.
The law, which took effect July 1, requires applicants to pay for their own drug tests. Those who test drug-free are reimbursed by the state, and those who fail cannot receive benefits for a year.
More than once, Scott has said publicly that people on welfare use drugs at a higher rate than the general population. The 2 percent test fail rate seen by DCF, however, does not bear that out.
www2.tbo.com/.../3/welfare-drug-testing-&... ...- Cached
Are the 96% that tested drug free just free of illict drugs and or both all legal drugs? Are the ones that are positive for controlled narcotics that are legal with a prescription and have a prescription are consider drug free even if one is abusing prescription drugs? I see more prescription drug abuse than illict drug abuse. And if you test positive and you got a prescription you are safe. There is a nation wide epidemic of prescription drug abuse by the government assisted crowd
alternative meds 4u

Nha Trang, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

halito wrote:
A parent gave her kids her-o,in???? What is pare,gorich??
do U kno why USLady dun't liked breast fed...from childsupport for www.godaddy.com ;-oo
alternative meds 4u

Nha Trang, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

halito wrote:
How many ways are op`i-ates dis-tri'bu`ted via per,scrip'"tion?
hop dat mak U think beeter!! ;)
alternative meds 4u

Nha Trang, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

halito wrote:
WHO is orwel was the The-ban"e Arm-y?
it's helpee U ;-0000
alternative meds 4u

Nha Trang, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

halito wrote:
What do pomagranates and poppy seeds have in common------Under a microscope?
green expand!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alan_Greens...

;-0000000000
alternative meds 4u

Nha Trang, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2012

halito wrote:
A parent gave her kids heroin???? What is paregoric??
Halleeetoo! U r da funny dude Bshy dr. Bill_mr! frum Nu Yok ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of123
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••