19,000 reported on Florida Developmen...

19,000 reported on Florida Developmental Disabilities (DD) waiting list.

Posted in the Florida Forum

He who knows

Cicero, IL

#1 Dec 2, 2011
An article in March 2011 has reported 19,000 people on Florida's waiting list for services for people with disabilities, resulting in an average wait time of about 5 and a half years. Some have waited 6 and even 7 years for services to kick in, and a few have even waited 10 years. The waiting list in fact contains approximately 40 percent of Florida's entire disabled population, which leaves only 60 percent of Florida's disabled population that is currently receiving services. It would take approximately $125,000,000.00 to erase the entire waiting list and put all 19,000 waiting people on their required services. And the services these people are waiting for include but are not limited to;

Case management

Supported living

Supported employment

Residential habilitation

Support coordination

In home support

Day training

Behavior treatment

Companion

Dietition

Occupational therapy

Personal care assistance

Physical therapy

Private duty nursing

Respiration therapy

Respite care

Specialized mental health

Speech therapy

Consumable medical supplies

Personal emergency response

Transportation

Dental services

Durable medical equipment

Environmental accessibility adaptations

Home accessibility

Something needs to be done right away! The Legislation needs to be informed, as does the Federal Government.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Does Bigfoot live in Northwest Florida? Some pe... 10 hr Trump 6
News Hooters 2011 Halloween Bikini Contest - More ph... (Oct '11) Aug 12 sean hannity treason 10
News 'Who are we?' Big donors battle for Democrats' ... Aug 10 He Named Me Black... 1
News 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Aug 9 Ben Dover 3,173
News Contractor Pluto off to prison after pleading g... (Apr '08) Aug 6 KEV 97
News After alleged sightings, some belive Bigfoot li... Aug 6 believer 1
News 81-year-old woman sues Publix, says she felt th... Aug 4 The truth 6