What the 2012 election taught us

What the 2012 election taught us

There are 10313 comments on the The Washington Post story from Nov 6, 2012, titled What the 2012 election taught us. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

We've been scouring the data for clues as to what we should learn from what happened tonight as President Obama relatively easily claimed a second term.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7776 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>basing currency on gold is just fiat money based on other fiat money...
Sad that most people have no idea what that term means, yet they keep parroting it.
FIAT Money is backed only by the Federal Governments Word that its money which fiat-money currency generally loses value once the issuing government or central bank refuses to further guarantee its value.

Fiat money

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#7777 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>FIAT Money is backed only by the Federal Governments Word that its money which fiat-money currency generally loses value once the issuing government or central bank refuses to further guarantee its value.
Fiat money
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money
Gold is fiat money...it only has value as currency when people agree it has value as currency.

what intrinsic value does gold hold for you?

unless you live in a barter economy, you use fiat money.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7778 Feb 4, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to school, dufus.
Where will the money come from to pay for Obama's government?
Same place Bush got it. Take a civics class.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7779 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Just look at you and see what the New Left rhetoric
I'm not interested in tea bag rhetoric, I guess you felt a need to fill the thread with off-topic garbage.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7780 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Gold is fiat money...it only has value as currency when people agree it has value as currency.
what intrinsic value does gold hold for you?
unless you live in a barter economy, you use fiat money.
Gold isnt Fiat Money, FIAT money is not backed by Gold or Silver only by the Government that gives FIAT money its Value and why Switzerland currency is still backed by gold and why Romney & other politicans have Swiss Bank accounts which their money is safer Vs US Bank accounts.

Swiss franc

The Swiss franc has historically been considered a safe-haven currency with virtually zero inflation and a legal requirement that a minimum of 40% be backed by gold reserves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_franc

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7781 Feb 4, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not interested in tea bag rhetoric, I guess you felt a need to fill the thread with off-topic garbage.
not off topic at all the Left wing & Tea Bag Rhetoric share so much in common.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7782 Feb 4, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fifth Amendment.
Do stop spamming the board with stuff that's been refuted ten times.
Gun Registration of a Law abiding citizen vs a Non Law abiding Citizen.

Do stop spamming the board with stuff that's been refuted ten times.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#7783 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Gold isnt Fiat Money, FIAT money is not backed by Gold or Silver only by the Government that gives FIAT money its Value and why Switzerland currency is still backed by gold and why Romney & other politicans have Swiss Bank accounts which their money is safer Vs US Bank accounts.
Swiss franc
The Swiss franc has historically been considered a safe-haven currency with virtually zero inflation and a legal requirement that a minimum of 40% be backed by gold reserves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_franc
really? when gold prices went up drastically recently, was that because it suddenly became more valueable, or because the people that agreed to use it as a currency said it was more valuable?

funny paerrots don't even know what they repeat...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7784 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>really? when gold prices went up drastically recently, was that because it suddenly became more valueable, or because the people that agreed to use it as a currency said it was more valuable?
funny paerrots don't even know what they repeat...
right Gold is a precious metal

Function

Gold is actively traded on world markets. It is treated as a commodity, with the actual metal never changing hands. It is seen as a refuge for investments during tough economic times. Investors believe that gold will always hold its value, while currencies and stocks will not. Gold is valued in jewelry and artwork. It does not cause allergic reactions and requires no maintenance to sparkle and look great. Gold is also treasured in coinage and bullion. Gold coins made by ancient civilizations still survive today and are prized by collectors.

Gold is also valuable because of its rarity. It is estimated that all the gold in the world would form a cube measuring just 19 meters on each side. That is a remarkably small amount considering the size of the Earth. More gold is mined all the time, but demand also increases as there are more people to desire it.

Why is Gold So Valuable?

http://www.ehow.com/about_4577822_why-gold-va...

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#7785 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>right Gold is a precious metal
Function
Gold is actively traded on world markets. It is treated as a commodity, with the actual metal never changing hands. It is seen as a refuge for investments during tough economic times. Investors believe that gold will always hold its value, while currencies and stocks will not. Gold is valued in jewelry and artwork. It does not cause allergic reactions and requires no maintenance to sparkle and look great. Gold is also treasured in coinage and bullion. Gold coins made by ancient civilizations still survive today and are prized by collectors.
Gold is also valuable because of its rarity. It is estimated that all the gold in the world would form a cube measuring just 19 meters on each side. That is a remarkably small amount considering the size of the Earth. More gold is mined all the time, but demand also increases as there are more people to desire it.
Why is Gold So Valuable?
http://www.ehow.com/about_4577822_why-gold-va...
Down to googling facts, Indy? sad...

if the world economy died, would you trade any food and water yuo had stored up for some gold?

Gold is Fiat Money....

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7786 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>not off topic at all
Off topic copy and paste spam.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7787 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Down to googling facts, Indy? sad...
if the world economy died, would you trade any food and water yuo had stored up for some gold?
Gold is Fiat Money....
nope, Money backed by a Gold and Money back by a FIAT Money system are to different animals which FIAT Money is worthless without a Government to back it just like the US Dollar is FIAT money now vs being backed by gold which if you understand what nixion did with OPEC which really gave the US dollar it Value backed by oil because Nixon got the OPEC to agree to value Oil in US Dollars on the Global Market which helps support the US dollar and why we have such an interets in the Middle east with OPEC countries to keep them happy and continue to value oil in US dollars on the Global Market and if FDR could have done what Nixon did, the Great Depression would have probably ended sooner since FDR had to collect as much gold as he could to increase the value of the Dollar and during the Great Depression it was illegall to possess & own gold by executive order 6102.

Government Meddling With Money

Fiat Money and the Gold Problem

http://mises.org/money/3s11.asp

Executive Order 6102

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7788 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Gun Registration of a Law abiding citizen vs a Non Law abiding Citizen.
Nope.

Let's look at the very first sentence of the Wiki entry... EXACTLY as it comes out...
"
Haynes v. United States, 390 U.S. 85 (1968), was a United States Supreme Court decision interpreting the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution's self-incrimination clause. "

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#7789 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>nope, Money backed by a Gold and Money back by a FIAT Money system are to different animals which FIAT Money is worthless without a Government to back it just like the US Dollar is FIAT money now vs being backed by gold which if you understand what nixion did with OPEC which really gave the US dollar it Value backed by oil because Nixon got the OPEC to agree to value Oil in US Dollars on the Global Market which helps support the US dollar and why we have such an interets in the Middle east with OPEC countries to keep them happy and continue to value oil in US dollars on the Global Market and if FDR could have done what Nixon did, the Great Depression would have probably ended sooner since FDR had to collect as much gold as he could to increase the value of the Dollar and during the Great Depression it was illegall to possess & own gold by executive order 6102.
Government Meddling With Money
Fiat Money and the Gold Problem
http://mises.org/money/3s11.asp
Executive Order 6102
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_...
You still refuse to see the facts in front of you....gold itself is fiat money. it is only worth anything because socierty has agreed to it's value. it is no different than our society agreeing to the US dollar having value. so you are arguing to get off fiat money and onto another fiat money...

you do not understand what others told you to parrot...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7790 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Down to googling facts, Indy? sad...
if the world economy died, would you trade any food and water yuo had stored up for some gold?
Gold is Fiat Money....
Grain prices would go through the roof too and already already climbed since 2008 because of the value of the US dollar beside there again Corn & Soybeans have use value which the world needs Corn & Soybeans especially China to survive.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7791 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>You still refuse to see the facts in front of you....gold itself is fiat money. it is only worth anything because socierty has agreed to it's value. it is no different than our society agreeing to the US dollar having value. so you are arguing to get off fiat money and onto another fiat money...
you do not understand what others told you to parrot...
Definition of 'Fiat Money'

Currency that a government has declared to be legal tender, despite the fact that it has no intrinsic value and is not backed by reserves. Historically, most currencies were based on physical commodities such as gold or silver, but fiat money is based solely on faith.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fiatmoney...

FIAT Money is a Currency and Gold is a commodity which can be valued in different curriences.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#7792 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Grain prices would go through the roof too and already already climbed since 2008 because of the value of the US dollar beside there again Corn & Soybeans have use value which the world needs Corn & Soybeans especially China to survive.
grain prices would go through the roof if the world economy collapesed? there would really be no price if there is no economy would there...it would be back to a barter economy and gold would be worthless, as it is fiat money...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7793 Feb 4, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>grain prices would go through the roof if the world economy collapesed? there would really be no price if there is no economy would there...it would be back to a barter economy and gold would be worthless, as it is fiat money...
just like this article say that the value of fiat money depends on the strength of the issuing country's economy which is true and we seen that with the EURO with the european countries which Greece was going to take the EURO down.

Gold is commondity and has Use Value in Society which is why FDR made it illegall to own gold during the Great Depression because of it Use Value to Society which gold was worth more on the Global Market at the time than what the US Dollar was during the Great Depression and was the only way to prop up the value of the US dollar by collecting as much gold as possible at the time but the FIAT money system would have been the answer for FDR's problems.

Executive Order 6102

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_...

FIAT Money

Money which has no intrinsic value and cannot be redeemed for specie or any commodity, but is made legal tender through government decree. All modern paper currencies are fiat money, as are most modern coins. The value of fiat money depends on the strength of the issuing country's economy. Inflation results when a government issues too much fiat money.

http://www.investorwords.com/1928/fiat_money....

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7794 Feb 4, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Grain prices would go through the roof too and already already climbed since 2008 because of the value of the US dollar
You're an idiot.

Grain prices fluctuate because of (write this down) supply and demand.

Pay attention: supplies are down because corn requires water to grow and most of this comes from rain.

When there is less rain, there is less corn.

When there is less corn, the prices per bushel go up.

And that if nothing else changes.

What do you suppose happens when demand increase while supplies decrease?

Think hard...

Can you think of something that uses a sh!tload of corn?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7795 Feb 4, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
Let's look at the very first sentence of the Wiki entry... EXACTLY as it comes out...
"
Haynes v. United States, 390 U.S. 85 (1968), was a United States Supreme Court decision interpreting the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution's self-incrimination clause. "
lets look at the Background of the Case and what was at issue of Law abiding Citizens vs Non Law abiding Citizens.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 required the registration of certain types of firearms. Miles Edward Haynes was a convicted felon who was charged with failing to register a firearm under the Act. Haynes argued that, because he was a convicted felon and thus prohibited from owning a firearm, requiring him to register was essentially requiring him to make an open admission to the government that he was in violation of the law, which was thus a violation of his right not to incriminate himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haynes_v._United...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Op-Ed Contributors: How to Keep the Lights On A... 1 hr Solarman 1
News Jerry Cliver will be released later this month (Sep '09) Sun Wondering 132
News Debris hauler touts post-Irma prices as potenti... Oct 21 Pam 2
News Jeb Bush Bashes Donald Trump After Debate - Def... (Sep '15) Oct 20 Small Minority 5
News Some workers risk being fired if they evacuate ... Oct 18 Nipples City Manager 7
News Orange County Schools employee indicted on firs... (Mar '09) Oct 17 CAL 112
Scott Rothstein worked with George Norcross and... Oct 16 Monique 1
More from around the web