Jerry Cliver will be released later t...

Jerry Cliver will be released later this month

There are 131 comments on the Linton Daily Citizen story from Sep 1, 2009, titled Jerry Cliver will be released later this month. In it, Linton Daily Citizen reports that:

Former Indiana State Police Trooper Jerry Cliver, convicted of murder in Indiana in 1988 and of attempted murder in Florida in 1987 for shooting a Florida Highway Patrolman, is scheduled to be released from prison Sept.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Linton Daily Citizen.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
wow

South Bend, IN

#1 Sep 7, 2009
And this guy only gets 20 years?
LessonsLearned

Windfall, IN

#2 Sep 7, 2009
He was a state boy. Connections and $$ can buy lots of things, including injustice.

Since: Sep 09

Ellicott City, MD

#3 Sep 8, 2009
i agree lessons. The animal should have never even been considered for parole.
Wake up

Johnston, RI

#4 Sep 8, 2009
If you read the articles in the paper it stated that Cliver basically got off scott free in Indiana because he served his sentence concurrent in Florida. He got 40 year in Florida (remember he got 40 years in Florida and he did not kill anyone) and his Indiana sentence ran along with it. Also how do you think he escaped the jail. It's called open door let him run free. You cannot blame Jerry Cliver for this behavior. It was Sullivan County officals who helped him be set free. This is what they mean about the "good ole boys " As far as the paper posting Jerry's address, that was uncalled for. It should be illegal. Just because he gets to walk free is not his fault. It is our county. Our county should have done more. They didn't want to. In the officals minds what Jerry did was justified. Why? most of them would have done the same thing put in his position. Most had cheated themselves and if they caught their wives cheating they would have done the same. I don't agree at all with what he did. But he paid his dues the way the legal system wanted him to. Now we have to accept it. Leave him alone and go about our own business. Remember he will be judged in the end. The paper should not have put his address in the paper at all. That was down right mean and illegal. It was like saying go torment him because justice was not done. Hey! put blame where it is needed. This isn't the first time someone has done something this horrible and walked free after a small amount of time. This happened about 20 years ago with Sullivan County boys at a Linton night spot. It happened a few years back with a business man and his buddies. But nobody branded them.
LessonsLearned wrote:
He was a state boy. Connections and $$ can buy lots of things, including injustice.

Since: Sep 09

Ellicott City, MD

#5 Sep 8, 2009
cheating? him and the woman he shot wasnt married anymore.
Dugger Resident

Ebensburg, PA

#6 Sep 8, 2009
Glad to see Jerry walk the bstreets of Sullivan County once again , it has been a long time .
nobody

Springville, IN

#7 Sep 8, 2009
He did his time even though some will not agree, the address should never been listed, it is his business where he chooses to go. Lets all just pray that he makes the right choices.God will be the one to judge him in the end.
Well

Bellefonte, PA

#8 Sep 8, 2009
Nutbag alert, nutbag alert
Wake up wrote:
If you read the articles in the paper it stated that Cliver basically got off scott free in Indiana because he served his sentence concurrent in Florida. He got 40 year in Florida (remember he got 40 years in Florida and he did not kill anyone) and his Indiana sentence ran along with it. Also how do you think he escaped the jail. It's called open door let him run free. You cannot blame Jerry Cliver for this behavior. It was Sullivan County officals who helped him be set free. This is what they mean about the "good ole boys " As far as the paper posting Jerry's address, that was uncalled for. It should be illegal. Just because he gets to walk free is not his fault. It is our county. Our county should have done more. They didn't want to. In the officals minds what Jerry did was justified. Why? most of them would have done the same thing put in his position. Most had cheated themselves and if they caught their wives cheating they would have done the same. I don't agree at all with what he did. But he paid his dues the way the legal system wanted him to. Now we have to accept it. Leave him alone and go about our own business. Remember he will be judged in the end. The paper should not have put his address in the paper at all. That was down right mean and illegal. It was like saying go torment him because justice was not done. Hey! put blame where it is needed. This isn't the first time someone has done something this horrible and walked free after a small amount of time. This happened about 20 years ago with Sullivan County boys at a Linton night spot. It happened a few years back with a business man and his buddies. But nobody branded them. <quoted text>
Well

Bellefonte, PA

#9 Sep 8, 2009
Nutbag alert, nutbag alert
LessonsLearned wrote:
Wrong

Lizton, IN

#10 Sep 8, 2009
Wake up wrote:
If you read the articles in the paper it stated that Cliver basically got off scott free in Indiana because he served his sentence concurrent in Florida. He got 40 year in Florida (remember he got 40 years in Florida and he did not kill anyone) and his Indiana sentence ran along with it. Also how do you think he escaped the jail. It's called open door let him run free. You cannot blame Jerry Cliver for this behavior. It was Sullivan County officals who helped him be set free. This is what they mean about the "good ole boys " As far as the paper posting Jerry's address, that was uncalled for. It should be illegal. Just because he gets to walk free is not his fault. It is our county. Our county should have done more. They didn't want to. In the officals minds what Jerry did was justified. Why? most of them would have done the same thing put in his position. Most had cheated themselves and if they caught their wives cheating they would have done the same. I don't agree at all with what he did. But he paid his dues the way the legal system wanted him to. Now we have to accept it. Leave him alone and go about our own business. Remember he will be judged in the end. The paper should not have put his address in the paper at all. That was down right mean and illegal. It was like saying go torment him because justice was not done. Hey! put blame where it is needed. This isn't the first time someone has done something this horrible and walked free after a small amount of time. This happened about 20 years ago with Sullivan County boys at a Linton night spot. It happened a few years back with a business man and his buddies. But nobody branded them. <quoted text>
It may not have been right for the paper to print his address, but it's not illegal. He will have to register as a violent criminal and his info will be public. That's just part of the price you pay when you murder someone.
If you guys think his sentence was light, what do you think about the woman in Hymera that's on 10 years house arrest for killing her husband? She was sentenced to like 45 years, served about 4 or so, appealed her case and got 10 years house arrest. They've always said if you're going to committ murder do it in Sullivan County.
DUH

United States

#11 Sep 8, 2009
Wake up wrote:
Cliver wasnt married to the lady he shot..but he IS maaried now...to a high school sweetheart who went to the flordia prison and married him and will be living in her home...
Duh huh

San Ramon, CA

#12 Sep 9, 2009
Most people know that he was estranged from his wife. And that he was remarried at the time he committed the crime. That is not the point. The point is Sullivan County did not do their part to keep him behind bars. Therefore he served the time that Florida wanted him to. Therefore it should not be posted in a newspaper where the man is to live. The website that is being talked about that will post his address is clearly stated that it is not to be used against him in anyway. The side is just to inform. The paper I think was being a rag, not a paper. I don't care about the gossip end of the story. I just care about the way the law in Sullivan County can make a common criminal out of a helpless paperboy, but yet make a killer a free man after 20 years. Go figure. That's the point your missing. Meth addicts get more time than that.
DUH wrote:
<quoted text>Cliver wasnt married to the lady he shot..but he IS maaried now...to a high school sweetheart who went to the flordia prison and married him and will be living in her home...
Wondering

Duncan, OK

#13 Sep 9, 2009
He probably didn't get enough time for his crimes, but he served the full time. Why has no one mentioned anything about C. Waterman not having to serve his full sentence. If I'm correct, he has home detention for the rest of it.
Kept very hush, hush. Talk about politics. There it is in action.
Wrong

Lizton, IN

#14 Sep 9, 2009
Wondering wrote:
He probably didn't get enough time for his crimes, but he served the full time. Why has no one mentioned anything about C. Waterman not having to serve his full sentence. If I'm correct, he has home detention for the rest of it.
Kept very hush, hush. Talk about politics. There it is in action.
I just checked the Indiana Dept of Corrections website. You are correct. Mr.Waterman has been released. He only served 4 years of a 20 year sentence. Guess it's all about who you know.....or are related to.
A PERSON

Brentwood, TN

#15 Sep 9, 2009
he married his high school sweetheart ?
Yes sir

United States

#16 Sep 9, 2009
I know there have been alot of people tried for petty crimes that got more time than some of these people. But we cannot blame these people. It is those in public office that let some slide while others have to pay the full term and humilation of the crime. It happens everyday. What one child gets in trouble for others get by with. It happens in the school system and court system everyday. Others arrest make the paper while others get tossed aside. Some get their names smeared around like mud while the others get their records washed clean and look like angels later on. Doesn't make sense. So you don't need to blame anyone but the system. These guys all did their time. But the real crooks are still in office

Since: Jul 09

League City, TX

#17 Sep 9, 2009
I think the Cliver family should be left alone. They have had alot of grief and gossip to put up with. I do not believe that Jerry is a threat to anyone so why shouldn't he walk the streets and live like anyone else, after all he did serve his time and he did not make the laws that he abided by.
Wrong

Lizton, IN

#18 Sep 9, 2009
Yes sir wrote:
I know there have been alot of people tried for petty crimes that got more time than some of these people. But we cannot blame these people. It is those in public office that let some slide while others have to pay the full term and humilation of the crime. It happens everyday. What one child gets in trouble for others get by with. It happens in the school system and court system everyday. Others arrest make the paper while others get tossed aside. Some get their names smeared around like mud while the others get their records washed clean and look like angels later on. Doesn't make sense. So you don't need to blame anyone but the system. These guys all did their time. But the real crooks are still in office
I agree.
LessonsLearned

Windfall, IN

#19 Sep 9, 2009
Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>I just checked the Indiana Dept of Corrections website. You are correct. Mr.Waterman has been released. He only served 4 years of a 20 year sentence. Guess it's all about who you know.....or are related to.
Or both. It also helps when you can pad their pockets a little too.
duh

United States

#20 Sep 10, 2009
A PERSON wrote:
he married his high school sweetheart ?
he sure did

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jeb Bush: Teachers unions blocking education pr... Tue Yep 1
News Residents learn how to deal, get rid of iguanas (May '09) May 22 Bye bye 33
News Central Florida leaders fear big loss if voters... May 20 Peter 2
700K in scholarships May 20 johnriven 1
A good way to learn the fashion May 18 Andymolly 1
News Bush ridicules Trump's fitness to lead military... (Oct '15) May 16 Cabbage Memory 52
Review: Trusted Research Chemical Shop Forum ! May 16 outlaw 6
More from around the web