Spring break: Daytona Beach sees less underage drinking, fewer ...

Authorities say Florida's liquor board doesn't need to send as many enforcement agents to Daytona Beach because the demand isn't what it used to be. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Fort Myers, FL

#1 Mar 13, 2009
Spring breakers, under the age of 21, feel it's O.K. to drink while in a crowd of 20,000 other under aged drinkers. After all, "it's spring break dude. like party on dude"..........
redgator

Orlando, FL

#2 Mar 13, 2009
Ah Spring Break as a youth. Good times...
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#3 Mar 13, 2009
With all these "Underage" alcohol violations, how many "citations" have been written to the propriotors of the drinking establishments? Shouldn't they also be charged for serving minors? As for the fake IDs, that's easy enough to validate if you truly are trying to prevent underage drinking. Also, if the laws would mandate that a minor that has been busted for illegal possession of drugs or alcohol has to have his or her parents or legal guardian come bail them out and pay a $1,000 fine, I bet it wouldn't be so funny or cool anymore!
Football is for Loosers

Orlando, FL

#4 Mar 13, 2009
The photo reveals a bunch of 'white trash' hanging out with their 'dude' mentalities. Loosers. All of them.
fun in the sun

Cheshire, CT

#5 Mar 13, 2009
The greatest fear of a puritan is that someone, somewhere is having fun. The idea of arresting a twenty-year old because he is drinking a beer on a beach, would only occur in the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran.
doug

United States

#6 Mar 13, 2009
fun in the sun wrote:
The greatest fear of a puritan is that someone, somewhere is having fun. The idea of arresting a twenty-year old because he is drinking a beer on a beach, would only occur in the United States and the Islamic Republic of Iran.
yep and i dont want to hear all the motel and shop owners cry about how they are going broke YOU RAN OFF the spring breakers with all the OVER THE TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT . These days the spring breakers go elsewhere with there money Mexico likes money and knows how to keep the party under control without arresting everyone.
Thats That Joint

Orlando, FL

#7 Mar 13, 2009
fun in the sun wrote:
I agree. Why make beer legal on to make drinking it in public illegal? Is it because the brewing industry can thrust its lobbying muscles in Washington? DUI. Drugs. Drug and Alcohol classes. It seems ironic that the two are so tangled together and yet the laws of our land hands down two different ways to deal with them. Maybe it's because the common man can grwo or make their own drugs and then there would be no way for the system to monopolize the trade like they can do with alcohol. It makes you wonder.
Somone

Denver, CO

#8 Mar 13, 2009
Waste of resources!
rrlarry

Newport, KY

#9 Mar 13, 2009
I survived 4 years of spring break in the 60s 2 at lauderdale and 2 at daytona drank a lot of booze acted my age 18 and crazy wasn't arrested and what i remember of it i had a great time. Those were the days!!!!!!!!!!
still-trying

Winter Park, FL

#10 Mar 13, 2009
How awesome youthful things and society at large is, that pride and bragging comes from being an underage drinking offender too dumb to do it without getting caught. Used to be, not advertising just what an idiot you are made you someone special (sorta). Your kids will repeat the cycle of binge drinking, cretin living, beach puking and disease catching during college, no doubt. Keep the great American traditions alive, make your ethically challenged, absentee parents disinterestedly "proud", you geniuses!
still-trying

Winter Park, FL

#11 Mar 13, 2009
fun in the sun wrote:
Duhhhh... I love you, man! You sense so much make!
thedevilmademesa yit

United States

#12 Mar 13, 2009
Poeple wake tfu... When we were young our parents took the job of being a parent in stride, They did the job.. Just where are these little ones parents, on the corner doing drugs or selling them?? Maybe hiding from the law with their meth lab?? Parents you made these problems now correct your problem. I'm not saying this about some parents because most are doing their job. There are still enough that already lost fait in themselves and don't care about their offsprung..
doug

United States

#13 Mar 13, 2009
thedevilmademesayit wrote:
Poeple wake tfu... When we were young our parents took the job of being a parent in stride, They did the job.. Just where are these little ones parents, on the corner doing drugs or selling them?? Maybe hiding from the law with their meth lab?? Parents you made these problems now correct your problem. I'm not saying this about some parents because most are doing their job. There are still enough that already lost fait in themselves and don't care about their offsprung..
most of these kids are 18 to 25 in college that makes them adults in the eyes of the law. And a little fact the stricter you are with your kids the wilder they will be when they are on there own the first time I.E. good catholic schools kids really go nuts . Fact is they have to make there own choices and hopefully dont get hurt to bad finding out what the real world is about. And whats wrong with a few cold brews on the beach as long as moderation is used i remember when the beach was a fun place now you can plan on being hassled by the cops even if you mind your own biz.
Our Junk Society

AOL

#14 Mar 13, 2009
In this country, if someone is 18, we allow them to fight in Iraq and purchase a shotgun when they return home. But we tell them they must wait 3 more years to drink a beer. If they don't wait, we fine them $218!

No wonder they go to Mexico. Of course, it's better to have them spend their money in a dangerous foreign country.

Why is our government so foolish?
DriveBy Poster

Schaumburg, IL

#15 Mar 13, 2009
doug wrote:
Fact is they have to make there own choices and hopefully dont get hurt to bad finding out what the real world is about. And whats wrong with a few cold brews on the beach as long as moderation is used .
It could be that the "choices" young people can make have to do with respecting the laws and themselves. You, like many, seem to operate under a couple of assumptions: that young people somehow have a right to drink alcohol, and that young people WILL drink alcohol. Those assumptions at best are risky, and at worst are flat out wrong. People WILL make choices, but at the same time, they can be told the consequences of making certain choices. The fact that people will make their own choices does not mean that we should remove all sanctions from certain choices or benefits from other choices.
As for moderation, you really have to live in a cave to believe that moderation is possible where alcohol is permitted. People who drink, and are drinking, are the LEAST reliable witnesses to testify to their own self-control. The very decision to drink implies a lack of self-control, much less what happens after the drinking begins.
DriveBy Poster

Schaumburg, IL

#16 Mar 13, 2009
Our Junk Society wrote:
In this country, if someone is 18, we allow them to fight in Iraq and purchase a shotgun when they return home. But we tell them they must wait 3 more years to drink a beer. If they don't wait, we fine them $218!
If you really don't see the differences between being a soldier and drinking alcohol, differences having to do with responsibility, discipline, self-control, selflessness versus selfishness, etc., you really are the weak link. "How come I can go to war when I'm 18 but I can't buy a beer when I'm 18?" is the argument of an 18-year-old. Older, wiser, more mature adults wouldn't try to make that argument.
My thoughts exactly

Apopka, FL

#17 Mar 13, 2009
Our Junk Society wrote:
No wonder they go to Mexico. Of course, it's better to have them spend their money in a dangerous foreign country.
Why is our government so foolish?
This person hit the nail right on the head. I dont condone underage drinking at all...but the law as its written is silly and should be changed. If its okay for an 18yr old to die for his country in war,vote,own a weapon and drive a car it should be okay for him/her to be able to enjoy a beer without being hassled by the police. This is nothing more than a money grab by the Daytona PD. Heres an idea for you donut chasing cops in Daytona...go after the real criminals.
Your full of crap

Apopka, FL

#18 Mar 13, 2009
DriveBy Poster wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really don't see the differences between being a soldier and drinking alcohol, differences having to do with responsibility, discipline, self-control, selflessness versus selfishness, etc., you really are the weak link. "How come I can go to war when I'm 18 but I can't buy a beer when I'm 18?" is the argument of an 18-year-old. Older, wiser, more mature adults wouldn't try to make that argument.
Just how many older wiser adults do you read about or hear about in the news that get behind the wheel drunk and kill themselves or someone else Einstein? Did their age give them anymore common sense? What a moron.
just saying

Melbourne, FL

#19 Mar 13, 2009
Glad to hear they solved all the violent crimes and property crimes in Florida and the can now focus on the real trouble makers...people that are taking a short break from studying while trying to become college-educated productive members of society. Bravo FDLE way to waste more resources.

I know if someone breaks into my house..I'll tell 911 that they appear to be underage and drunk...maybe that will get the cops to show up quickly.
Up L8

Palm Bay, FL

#20 Mar 13, 2009
fun in the sun wrote:
I like your post and I'll add to it if you don't mind....if a young man or woman can die for their country at the age of eighteen then so should they be able to drink in public venues. Yes, this country has a puritanical view of adult activities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 1 hr born in 1930 2,484
FSU benches Winston for 1st half of Clemson game 2 hr MARK TRAINA - NAAWP 1
Lindsey Graham on abortion ban: If pregnant mom... 4 hr Does Not Compute 1
Is Florida the most racist anti-white place in ... (Apr '10) 21 hr proud white man 75
Voices: Different migrants treated differently Tue WE JUST DONT CARE 8
Governor Rick Scott Encourages Floridians to Ce... Tue OrlandoChris 1
Political Reporter: Crist, Scott Race About Les... Tue OrlandoChris 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Florida People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••