Bankruptcy drama for Jay Black continues

Bankruptcy drama for Jay Black continues

There are 6613 comments on the Newsday.com story from Jul 14, 2006, titled Bankruptcy drama for Jay Black continues. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

First they wanted to take his name and the name of his group. Now they want to take his home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

Chicago Window Washah

Aurora, CO

#5437 Dec 1, 2012
50K a year from Yougoondah, I do the singin'.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frankie Ford

Phoenix, AZ

#5438 Dec 2, 2012
JB MGMT wrote:
Jan. 12, 2013
Saturday Union County Performing Arts Center
1601 Irving Street
Rahway, NJ Appearing With
Gary Puckett
hosted by Doo Wop Drive on WMTR AM's ALAN DAVID STEIN
For Tickets
ucpac.org
----------
Jan 19, 2013
Saturday Keswick Theatre
291 North Keswick Avenue
Glenside, PA 19038 Appearing With
Jay Siegels's Tokens
Little Isidore & The Inquisitors
For Tickets
www.keswicktheatre.com
----------
Jan. 20, 2013
Sunday Bowzer's Ultimate Doo-Wop Party Vol. XII
Mohegan Sun Arena
Uncasville, CT Appearing With
CHARLIE THOMAS' DRIFTERS
JAY SIEGEL'S TOKENS
THE ORLONS
LINDA JANSEN
KENNY VANCE & THE PLANOTONES
RANDY & THE RAINBOWS
LENNY WELCH
BOWZER & THE STINGRAYS
Plus Special Guest Stars, JOHNNY CONTARDO & LENNIE BAKER in a SHA NA NA Reunion!
For Tickets
mohegansun.com
----------
Feb 2, 2013
Saturday Bergen Performing Arts Center
30 North Van Brunt Street
Englewood, NJ 07631 Appearing With
Gary Puckett
For Tickets
bergenpac.org
----------
Feb 9, 2013
Saturday Queens College
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
New York, NY 11367
----------
March 2, 2013
Saturday Count Basie Theatre
99 Monmouth Street
Red Bank, New Jersey 07701 For Tickets
countbasietheatre.org
----------
JAY BLACK AND THE AMERICANS - THE ONE, THE ONLY, THE ORIGINAL. This is not the new Jay group withthe window washer from Chicago singing Jay Black songs! This is the real thing. JAY BLACK AND THE AMERICANS continues to play American songs for Americans.
Since when is he the ORIGINAL?The man was selling shoes at Tom McCanns in Jamaica NY was this group was started,and if he was the original the groups name would be David Blatt & the Americans.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Aimee

San Antonio, TX

#5439 Dec 2, 2012
Frankie Ford wrote:
<quoted text>Since when is he the ORIGINAL?The man was selling shoes at Tom McCanns in Jamaica NY was this group was started,and if he was the original the groups name would be David Blatt & the Americans.
I agree with the technical part of your post. However, Jay Black/David Blatt owns the voice that made the world love JATA all these decades. Almost every successful group that lasted had changes in personnel. It's awkward to keep saying "not the original Jay but the one most widely associated with the songs that are best known".

It strikes me as snide to keep referring to the fact that David Blatt was selling shoes at Thom McCann when he began with JATA, as if that somehow discredits his awesome body of work. Many famous groups were singing on street corners before they were famous. Mario Lanza was a laborer for a moving company when he was discovered. Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr. was washing cars for a dealership in West Virginia when he won the top spot on a famous talent search show. Susan Boyle was virtually unknown and considered mentally challenged before her life-changing appearance before Simon Cowell and the gang. Was Jimmie Rodgers a singing brakeman or a talented singer who is credited with the first recorded cowboy song? When we say "the original", we are not taking anything away from your idol, Jay Traynor, but try playing "This Magic Moment" and then asking if that singer is Jay Traynor or Jay Black. Feature JATA songs in a half-hour show, and who will bring the audience to their feet for the most applause? The fact that Jay Black was "discovered" while he earned his living as a shoe salesman doesn't in any way diminish his success as the lead singer with the string of hits. It's the string of hits we remember, not his day job. I think Jay Traynor is adorable, and I sometimes listen to "She Cried" by him. But that pretty much ends the string. I listen to Jay/David for hours on end, every week. I thank Jay Traynor for leaving the group and opening the door for David Blatt to have his now-famous audition for lead singer. I wish them all well. They have made musical history with each and every hit.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jaysucks

Cape Coral, FL

#5440 Dec 2, 2012
Blatt is Jay #3, and hes still not much more then a shoe salesman

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sudi

Dadeville, AL

#5441 Dec 2, 2012
Jaysucks wrote:
And how is that?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sudi

Dadeville, AL

#5442 Dec 2, 2012
Aimee wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with the technical part of your post. However, Jay Black/David Blatt owns the voice that made the world love JATA all these decades. Almost every successful group that lasted had changes in personnel. It's awkward to keep saying "not the original Jay but the one most widely associated with the songs that are best known".
It strikes me as snide to keep referring to the fact that David Blatt was selling shoes at Thom McCann when he began with JATA, as if that somehow discredits his awesome body of work. Many famous groups were singing on street corners before they were famous. Mario Lanza was a laborer for a moving company when he was discovered. Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr. was washing cars for a dealership in West Virginia when he won the top spot on a famous talent search show. Susan Boyle was virtually unknown and considered mentally challenged before her life-changing appearance before Simon Cowell and the gang. Was Jimmie Rodgers a singing brakeman or a talented singer who is credited with the first recorded cowboy song? When we say "the original", we are not taking anything away from your idol, Jay Traynor, but try playing "This Magic Moment" and then asking if that singer is Jay Traynor or Jay Black. Feature JATA songs in a half-hour show, and who will bring the audience to their feet for the most applause? The fact that Jay Black was "discovered" while he earned his living as a shoe salesman doesn't in any way diminish his success as the lead singer with the string of hits. It's the string of hits we remember, not his day job. I think Jay Traynor is adorable, and I sometimes listen to "She Cried" by him. But that pretty much ends the string. I listen to Jay/David for hours on end, every week. I thank Jay Traynor for leaving the group and opening the door for David Blatt to have his now-famous audition for lead singer. I wish them all well. They have made musical history with each and every hit.
Excellent explanation, Aimee. I can't get over the fact that most of these guys are hung up on that fact. The majority of entertainers started from scratch and were adults when they got their start. Some had "daddy's money and friends" to help, and some started as children. Not all that began as children went any further. If an entertainer was not wealthy, started as a kid, or they were in college (and daddy carried that load) then what did he/she do in between? Heck, they had to work if they wanted to eat. Plenty had families, as did Jay in his late 20's, and someone has to support them. I bet everyone of the guys on here who claim to be in the business one way or another started with some other and job, not career. If not, then "daddy" helped them learn the business, which was lucrative for some, I'm sure. One difference in the entertainers and the business end of it would be that the business people probably did not get caught up in the hype of being in the spotlight. Their first jobs might have been in the business management field which would have been a start, too. Larry Byrd was a garbage collector. Johnny Cash had to work a regular job while struggling to make it. Unfortunately, he got too big for his britches and lived a life of hell for a while, too. Jewel was homeless at one time. Now, there were the Cowsills who had their few years, but they started as kids, and had mom and dad helping, which was fortunate for them, but their parents were helping all their kids, not one kid with a bunch of other guys. Yes, Jay stepped in when JATA had made a couple of hits, which was to his advantage we all know, but it was his voice that helped keep them in the lights and performing as JATA. It could have been that they turned him down and went with someone else, but they didn't, because they wanted him.

And I mean nothing against Jay Traynor, for he has a nice voice, too. I do listen to his songs, as well, when playing JATA. BUT, he left of his own accord, was not kicked out.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sudi

Dadeville, AL

#5443 Dec 2, 2012
Aimee wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent explanation, Aimee! Jewel was homeless. Larry Byrd was a garbage collector. Tammy Wynette was a hairdresser. Jimmy Buffett was a beach bum, hahaha! Most people had to start somewhere. What were you, Murray, before you became a critic? Just a little joke, Mur. Nothing to get ill about.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sudi

Dadeville, AL

#5444 Dec 2, 2012
Hey, sorry about the last, shortened, duplicate post. The first was was rejected because of too many characters, and totally disappeared, so I just reduced it and changed to a separate post instead. My bad.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Aimee

San Antonio, TX

#5445 Dec 2, 2012
Sudi wrote:
Hey, sorry about the last, shortened, duplicate post. The first was was rejected because of too many characters, and totally disappeared, so I just reduced it and changed to a separate post instead. My bad.
Not a problem, Sudi, it works well. I like your note to Murray. I wish we knew more (factual) about his history. He could be interesting if he would stop being so vague. I often wonder how he would be if he came through town and had a cup of coffee with us. Is he a decent person we would enjoy knowing, is he a jerk, is he a woman? He could communicate instead of playing games, and I would like that even if we didn't talk about Jay. Of course, I would still be thinking of Jay, always, but that wouldn't take away from the here and now.

Watch for an email from me, I'm excited about some new writing I'm doing, nothing about show biz but dear to my heart.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sudi

Dadeville, AL

#5446 Dec 2, 2012
Aimee wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a problem, Sudi, it works well. I like your note to Murray. I wish we knew more (factual) about his history. He could be interesting if he would stop being so vague. I often wonder how he would be if he came through town and had a cup of coffee with us. Is he a decent person we would enjoy knowing, is he a jerk, is he a woman? He could communicate instead of playing games, and I would like that even if we didn't talk about Jay. Of course, I would still be thinking of Jay, always, but that wouldn't take away from the here and now.
Watch for an email from me, I'm excited about some new writing I'm doing, nothing about show biz but dear to my heart.
Just got it, and it's wonderful! Keep up the good work.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Aimee

San Antonio, TX

#5447 Dec 2, 2012
Jaysucks wrote:
Yeah, how is that? If "JBlatt" is #3, who was #2? Maybe he isn't much more than a shoe salesman to you, but most of the shoe salesmen I've observed don't get standing ovations for any performance, don't sell tickets to people who are willing to drive many miles to a show. Are you on something tonight? I know that, as "an industry insider", you are aware of the order of Jays. I also know you are contemptuous of Jay #2, David Blatt, but to say he is still not much more than a shoe salesman makes you sound uninformed. Are you someone who has commandeered the computer usually used by a certain dude in Florida? Jay, if you're reading this, you must be laughing your butt off.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jaysucks

Cape Coral, FL

#5448 Dec 2, 2012
You're correct, I made a terrible error, shoe salesmen are good, decent people. Is Jay reading this, yes he is, unless hes on the phone with his bookie. You really don't think the 100K bailout stopped his bad habits do you? And that's the least of his sins.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sally

Browns Summit, NC

#5449 Dec 2, 2012
Jaysucks wrote:
If JayB is #3,then JayT must have been #2. Who was #1--or was that a typo?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Aimee

San Antonio, TX

#5450 Dec 2, 2012
Jaysucks wrote:
You're correct, I made a terrible error, shoe salesmen are good, decent people. Is Jay reading this, yes he is, unless hes on the phone with his bookie. You really don't think the 100K bailout stopped his bad habits do you? And that's the least of his sins.
That was a dubious generalization, not necessarily an error. I have known some real scalawags who sold shoes, and some decent people who did the same. I don't think an honest job can be held against anyone. If I could have figured out how to support a family with the pay, I would have most likely been someone's gardener.

It's interesting that you have said Jay does own a computer, and you are convinced that he reads these blogs. His webmaster said he isn't computer literate. How do you know he is reading this? I hope he is, in a way, but would prefer he read the things people who love him post. Jay, seriously, if you're there, give me a sign! I don't ask for much, just a little word or two. Awww, you know how I feel.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Chicago Window Washah

Aurora, CO

#5451 Dec 2, 2012
Jay is computer-less, he pawned it to get up gas money to go to the Big A.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Aimee

San Antonio, TX

#5452 Dec 2, 2012
Chicago Window Washah wrote:
Jay is computer-less, he pawned it to get up gas money to go to the Big A.
You know this, of course, because you are in close contact with him and he confides in you. What's the Big A? As in Big Apple?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jaysucks

Cape Coral, FL

#5453 Dec 3, 2012
Aqueduct, a NY racetrack, home of most of his money

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mr Ed

Phoenix, AZ

#5454 Dec 3, 2012
Jaysucks wrote:
Aqueduct, a NY racetrack, home of most of his money
Hey Wilbur, lets not forget Belmont, Yonkers and Roosevelt and sometimes Wonderland Dog Track in MA.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
KeepingTabs

Phoenix, AZ

#5455 Dec 3, 2012
Wow, Jay B has more gig than Joey D.

Maybe Joey should sing backup for Jay, instead of selling oranges & lemons in North Redington Florida.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sudi

Dadeville, AL

#5456 Dec 3, 2012
Hey, Murray ...

The Mac will be in Denver in June. Do you think you will go? I'm glad Stevie feels like working now; she's been through some rough times with her health. I think they"ll be in Atlanta as well.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 lessons activists can learn from Florida's su... 50 min Sparks2099 12
what is this forum ? Thu good guy 3
Pha.PrivateTrade very trusdet Vendor !!! Thu eol 9
Safe shipping Research Chemicals Shop to Austr... Thu eol 8
News Gov. Scott Signs Bill To Grant In-State Tuition... (Jun '14) Thu Loose Walls 93
No1 Research Chemicals Vendor China/EU Click a... Dec 7 SamSumSam 3
pha.privatetrade erfahrung Dec 7 Noa 25
More from around the web