Unemployment benefits in Florida: Que...

Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

There are 443 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 13, 2009, titled Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

emzmom

Schnecksville, PA

#462 Jan 16, 2013
If I collect unemployment and or disability in PA and plan to move to Fl this year, how do my payments transfer and what do I have to do. thanks in advance for your help
Nana

Miami, FL

#463 Feb 2, 2013
Hi everybody,

it seems that I am the only one in Florida who has to say something positive about unemployment. True, the max of $275.00 per week is is just a third of what I made while working, still it adds up to $1,100.00 per month. For this I am grateful because it is $1,100.00 better than nothing.

Beginning of February I found myself being fired one morning. On the 6th of January I filed for unemployment, which was approved on the 14th of January and paid on the 1st of February for the first time.
I can say that the Department of Economic Opportunity worked very competent and speedy in my case.

In the past 24 days I sent out 44 job applications and have not gotten any serious response yet. This is a much bigger worry for me. What if I don't find another job soon?

Good luck to everyone!

Barbara is right about benefits for illegals. I am a foreigner myself and I have been in this country for three years. In my experience you can't get hired anywhere without a SSN.
Dodger lover

United States

#464 Feb 27, 2013
Lost job Nov 3,2012, applied for benefits about two weeks later, was sent letter stating amount I'd get , then online declaring of weeks got screwed up and worker helped me fix after I faxed weeks to her at her request got debit card for money to be put on last week and still no monies and it is now Feb. 27, 2013, so the system is slightly messed up!
Linda Boca Raton

Boca Raton, FL

#465 Mar 4, 2013
Can you still receive some unemployment if you are working part time between 12 and 15 hours a week?
almost unemployed

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#466 Mar 5, 2013
The position I have is being phased out so I have to apply for another position (same job different title) but I am not guaranteed the job. If I do not apply for it I am no longer employed with my company, but I will receive a small severance package. Will I be eligible for unemployment if I do not apply?
Miss 1st time Unemployed

New Port Richey, FL

#467 Mar 16, 2013
I am 29 years old, I have been at the same job for 7 years and am getting a severance check. I filed for unemployment and am worried I am going to be declined. I know that there are some horror stories and people complaining that 275 a week is NOT enough to survive off of, so whos to say that if you receive severance you can't qualify for unemployment until the severance runs out. I happen to be lucky to work for a company that offers the severance although I don't think it's fair that I am going to have to run out of my hard earned severance before I can receive assistance. This is an opportunity for us to possibly get a head in this crappy economy instead i have to run out of all my money and then start getting paid even crappier unemployment money which will make it damn near impossible to survive off of. This is just something I am worrying about in case I don't find a job, which believe me I am busting my ass to find one. If I can get this unemployment assistance, this will give us an opportunity to keep some severance money. I feel bad enough for those who have nothing but to wait for the piddly 275 or less a week. I wish ya'll luck finding a job. I have 10 years of experience and its hard for me too!
Miss 1st time Unemployed

New Port Richey, FL

#468 Mar 16, 2013
Has anyone one here received a severance and unemployment at the same time? I hear that some people have gotten and some don't based on some kind of calculation. Can someone explain this calculation?
Gloria

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#469 Mar 25, 2013
I am being layed off on april 30th ,i work at bells .Store is closing.When should i apply and around how many weeks,before i receive my 1st check?

thank you
Gloria

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#470 Mar 29, 2013
Also would i be collecting around 50% of my gross or net?
This was a $19,500 per year job.
floridamad

Cape Canaveral, FL

#473 Apr 5, 2013
Florida unemployed, spread the word! there is report article ( http://ultratechlife.com/ultra_tech/ut_4176.p... ) about in Florida unemployment with fraudulent job postings on sites like careerbuilder and headhunter and emails where people are posting fake job listings that are unauthorized. now wonder why many of you are not getting responses when you apply online for a job - most of them don't exist. makes me steaming mad...
tony

Orlando, FL

#474 Apr 22, 2013
i drew uemployment for 11 months got a job and and 3 months later got my r o f layoff again , do i requalify again for unemployment or not,how does this work ,i work in construction it is getting better but far from good or normal,22 years as a crane operator never a work problem untill 2009.
GOVHASNOANSWERSW EDO

Green Cove Springs, FL

#475 May 25, 2013
Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
There are quite a few employers that hire senior citizens. Walmart, Publix, Beals the list goes on. You wont be making $20.00 an hour, but most pay a fair wage, and often provide health benefits. Be proactive, sitting home crying solves nothing. Dress appropriately for an interview, have a resume, act as though you want the job, and you may just get it.
Hillary, I was out of work for 1 year after 15 years of working for a company and it's subsidiaries. I got gainful employment after that length of time, but still have "feelers" out there looking for a a higher wage as we took a $2000 a month loss at this new job. I have been on 3 whole interviews and one of them told me "you must have something special as we get a thousand applications a week to go thru when this job posts." I didn't get the job, it was in the field that I had 15 years of experience, and was told to keep applying at that company for other positions by that interviewer as it seemed my interview went well, but a board of others had to review my interview and several others for the position. My point here is, that positions are not as easy to find anywhere as what you seem to feel. People with Bachelor's Degrees in finance for example are settling for lower paying jobs just to get a temp position till something comes up closer to their forte. Employers have the ability to get overly qualified at low wages, at longer terms of employment do you really want to think they are not taking advantage of this? Come on, be real. You are just looking to make others feel bad because you yourself are not a very happy or well adjusted person. There are some out there taking advantage, but, there are alot out there that are in a conundrum, trying to figure out what is best for them and their family. There are no perfect answers at this time, only what is best for now.
GOVHASNOANSWERSW EDO

Green Cove Springs, FL

#476 May 25, 2013
The best answer all around is schooling and networking. Churches, kids school system, neighborhood, food pantries have info available, county websites, Kiwanis, Womens clubs, Lions clubs. Take turns watching kids with other families. Bartering a weekly shopping trip, and helping with home cleaning with an older person to watch your child while you go to classes. Family getting together without making the needy family feel bad about their circumstances, bartering help situations. Everyone working together. Simplifying life styles. Communities working together, community co-ops and such. If you have experiences with the government systems give helpful info on here, not derogatory remarks. Remember government goes thru red tape continually so nothing is "fast" answers with them. Take full advantage of your appealing rights, keep on top of them regularly.
SuckIt

Orlando, FL

#477 Jun 6, 2013
Suck it
Woodlands Waterway

Spring, TX

#479 Aug 16, 2013
I've never been on unemployment.
mcpvff

Sanford, FL

#480 Oct 12, 2013
My employer took taxes out my check and didn't open or pay the taxes he withheld from my check. Once I applied for unemployment, they opened another corp, on paper in the same industrial park with the same name only adding llc and dissolving the first corp that is liable for my unemployment. I now have a appeal hearing oct 23,2013 with the shell company on file. the shell company has never employed anyone while the first one did employer over 25 people. I really need to know what to do. I can be email an solution at [email protected]
Allen

Hudson, FL

#482 Jan 7, 2014
I filed on dec 3rd and still havent recieved an answer on nothing...it says its in determination or something??how long can i expect to wait???
jMendez86

Burbank, CA

#483 Jan 15, 2014
UNEMPLOYED wrote:
UNEMPLOYMENT IS A JOKE, HOW IN THE WORLD ARE YOU GOING TO SURVIVE WITH 275 PER WEEK THAT IS GONNA BE TAXED ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. BECOMING 175. THE UNEMPLOYMENT WILL TRY EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK TO DENY YOUR CLAIM, AND THEN TAKE THEIR TIME TO RESPOND YOUR APPEAL.
HEY BY THE WAY TRY CALLING THE NUMBERS....8002042418, YOU WILL EITHER RECEIVE AN AUTMATED MESSAGE TELLING YOU THE WAIT TIME IS 1 HOUR OR MORE, AND THEN DISCONNECT YOU IN 10-15 MINUTES. THE WHOLE SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU QUIT PURSUING WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY YOURS.
If you are still looking for work, I recommend going to an employment department like hound.com that knows how to help people in your situation. When I was looking for work, I had no idea where to turn and didn't know what kinds of resources were out there. So recommend looking at a few options before just settling with being unemployed for months or even years. Unless you're OK with collecting a check every couple weeks and not working for a cent of it. Personally, I started feeling depressed and unproductive when I was unemployed. I had no idea what kind of job I could find and then the economy tanked. I felt like I was going to be unemployed for not just months, but years.
Dickslap

Miami, FL

#484 Jan 16, 2014
jMendez86 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are still looking for work, I recommend going to an employment department like hound.com that knows how to help people in your situation. When I was looking for work, I had no idea where to turn and didn't know what kinds of resources were out there. So recommend looking at a few options before just settling with being unemployed for months or even years. Unless you're OK with collecting a check every couple weeks and not working for a cent of it. Personally, I started feeling depressed and unproductive when I was unemployed. I had no idea what kind of job I could find and then the economy tanked. I felt like I was going to be unemployed for not just months, but years.
Paying for a "service" that gives you job leads from a company's website...why not just find business names in your area, go to the company's website yourself, and see job openings for free?
unemployed in florida

Lakeland, FL

#485 Apr 25, 2014
I was layed off. I have an attorney who is about to complete an agreement with my prior employer of a monetary settlement of approx.$9,000. How will this affect my unemployment?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obesity in Florida; No excuses at all! Lose th... 21 hr Health man 1
Donald J.Trump is a CON-MAN and NOT A LEADER Aug 27 Hillary 4
Attention Floridians!! Aug 27 Cjkinthesun 1
News Absentee ballot returns show spike in unlikely ... Aug 25 YouDidntBuildThat 1
GD Designs Rochdale (26) Aug 25 august005 1
News Officials: Zika won't hurt South Florida touris... Aug 23 WeTheSheeple 28
News Collier residents tense over Zika spraying rules Aug 20 Zika Jack 2
More from around the web