Unemployment benefits in Florida: Que...

Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

There are 442 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 13, 2009, titled Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Mhigurl

United States

#251 Aug 21, 2009
Big C and Bummed,

Please use the phone numbers I listed in my previous post. Both are great to deal with and they DO call you back, especially Melody. Good Luck!
MS CHICAGO

Chicago, IL

#253 Aug 26, 2009
I LIVE IN CHICAGO AND MY UNEMPLOYMENT FROM TIER 2 IS ABOUT TO RUN OUT AND I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING EVERYWHERE ONLINE TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS GOING TO BE ANOTHER TIER 3 SOME SAY YES AND OTHERS SAY NO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A CORRECT ANSWER BECAUSE I HAVE A FAMILY AND EVERY DAY IM OUT FROM SUNSET TIL DAWN AND STILL NO JOB PLEAE ANSWER...
hap

Hollywood, FL

#254 Sep 2, 2009
Lori wrote:
The Florida unemployment office called me and wanted to know if because I worked in two states if I wanted to file a Florida combined with Ohio claim or an Ohio combined with Florida claim. What does that mean? I am waiting on their call back to ask them the difference.
....lori,if you worked in two different states in the base period you can file a CWC(both wages earned are combined) file with which ever state pays more ,fl max is 26weeks @275/week ohio is [email protected](based on earned wages of 750/week no dependants if you have depends you get more )
SarahD

Apopka, FL

#255 Sep 4, 2009
Yeah Florida's UC System is a TOTAL joke!!! I filed all the paperwork, they requested more, they even went as far as to request last years w-2 form... which I had... now they are saying that one of the employers that I worked for said I quit, which I didn't, it was a seasonal job... which therefore... the job ended... not the same as quitting.. besides that employer is not the one that unemployment benefits would be coming from in the first place... I am pretty pissed off right now I have filed an appeal... we shall see how that goes... but so far I am not too impressed with Florida's Unemployment Claims System... I really do feel like they will try everything in... and out of the book to screw you out of something that you had no control over.
Stan

Chipley, FL

#256 Sep 9, 2009
If I decline a job interview because I am holding out for a better job, could that somehow end up stopping my unemployment benefits I am receiving now?
Stan

Chipley, FL

#257 Sep 9, 2009
I received an appeal decision letter that said the decision was reversed in my favor. I tried all day calling the unemployment line to check on my payment date and amount. I was unable to get through. What is the average wait time for getting benefits after an appeal has been won?
debbie berg

Alpharetta, GA

#258 Sep 11, 2009
FLORIDA SUCKS
Terminated30

Belleview, FL

#259 Sep 12, 2009
so i have a question, I have been recieving unemployment benefits since mid july, now today i got a letter in the mail stating they want a phone hearing next week and that my old employer has decided to appeal my claim. my question is has anyone gone through this before and how long does this process normally take and what can i expect
Sheila

Ocala, FL

#260 Sep 25, 2009
Mhigurl wrote:
Tonia, I found out today that if you get into the phone system where it says "please hold for the next available CS rep" and then goes on to say no one is available, but press 5 to return to the main menu...press 5 and then every time you hear the message that no one is available, press 5 again. You will eventually get a person. I was on hold for about 30 minutes but FINALLY talked to a love person today. Still no positive answers about my checks, but at least I got to talk to some a live person! GOOD LUCK!
They changed the phone system so cannot go back to the main menu anymore. Now they just hang up. I hate the FL unemployment system.
Sheila

Ocala, FL

#261 Sep 25, 2009
Terminated30 wrote:
so i have a question, I have been recieving unemployment benefits since mid july, now today i got a letter in the mail stating they want a phone hearing next week and that my old employer has decided to appeal my claim. my question is has anyone gone through this before and how long does this process normally take and what can i expect
I've gone through this about 5 years ago and won. Most people do win though. Back then everything was resolved in 2 weeks, but now everything takes a lot longer. FL didn't hire enough people to handle all this. Such a shame.
Sheila

Ocala, FL

#262 Sep 25, 2009
Stan wrote:
If I decline a job interview because I am holding out for a better job, could that somehow end up stopping my unemployment benefits I am receiving now?
Don't let the unemployment office know. I'm am sure the potential employer wouldn't tell them either, why would they?
Sheila

Ocala, FL

#263 Sep 25, 2009
Lacie wrote:
Something doesnt sound right as I was off beginning June 3, applied on June 9 and recieved my first claim on June 23. I have gotten mine by direct deposit ever since with no issue. I do my claims online. I also never recieved anything regarding job searches to date. I'm only asked when I do my weeks claim online if I was available and if I did seek employment.
You got very lucky that's all. People are waiting as much as 10 weeks for their claims to go through. FL doesn't have the manpower they need.
Sheila

Ocala, FL

#264 Sep 25, 2009
FED UP wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry Linda for calling them Idiots.....Beacuse YOU are the IDIOT. It's bleeding heart Liberals like yourself that are the down fall of this country. These people are going to suck the system dry and then YOU will be the 1st one to cry when your taxes go through the roof to continue to let them keep sucking from the Govt. trough
Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is and GIVE these people jobs so they don't suck the government dry? If not, then shut up.
Sheila

Ocala, FL

#265 Sep 25, 2009
debbie berg wrote:
FLORIDA SUCKS
Yes it does.
thatguy123

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#266 Sep 25, 2009
What if you haven't really been looking for work and they ask for your job search record, should you lie and give them a false list?
In Need of Direction

Gainesville, FL

#267 Sep 29, 2009
I was recently laid off for the first time in my life about a month and a half ago due to a company closed. I filed the claim and received unemployment. I looked for work diligently and found a job and started working. I worked a total of 2 weeks and 4 days when they let me go today. There basis for letting me go was that they needed someone with more experience. My question is: Will this disqualify my previous unemployment?
Sheila

Ocala, FL

#269 Oct 4, 2009
In Need of Direction, call the unemployment office. You can reapply and get on the case that you already have open. Your original claim stays open for a full year. Since you were not let go for misconduct, there is no reason why you can't get back on again.
error404

Philadelphia, PA

#270 Oct 7, 2009
I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS
I recently received a form to confirm if I'm still eligible for unemployment compensation (after receiving two checks).

1- "Lowest wage you are willing to accept..." According to my qualifications in salary.com I should be making $35/hour (median)... but honestly, I will take anything!! The absolute minimum that I need to survive is $20/hour.
I'm afraid if I put anything above minimal wage they will disqualify me!!! can anyone confirm/deny?(I have $+100k in student loans, wife, rent, food, water... etc)
2-"List of places that you have submitted your resume"
I have submitted my resume like crazy with no luck.... but every day, is harder to find jobs on my field!! is there a minimum of resumes that I need to send per week??

3- Have you performed any work (including self-employment) since, filing? I'm considering opening my own firm... but I know there is no clients around!!! that is why every office in Miami has closed or had major Layoff. If I work like an animal, but I have no clients... do I need mention it?? I'll be making "no money", I will be working on trying to get the clients... but no actual money!

thanks!
Linda

Winter Garden, FL

#271 Oct 7, 2009
In Need of Direction wrote:
I was recently laid off for the first time in my life about a month and a half ago due to a company closed. I filed the claim and received unemployment. I looked for work diligently and found a job and started working. I worked a total of 2 weeks and 4 days when they let me go today. There basis for letting me go was that they needed someone with more experience. My question is: Will this disqualify my previous unemployment?
No..it will not disqualify you. You can only be turned down from receiving benefits if you quit or were let go for any form of misconduct. This company will not be charged for your benefits since you did not work there long enough, they will just resume back to your last long term employer and put you back to where you left off. Just make sure when you claim your wages from this just past job, to put involuntary layoff, or your case will be sitting in adjudication forever. And since they let you go, it was involuntary.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#272 Oct 7, 2009
Today, I learned the unemployment office does not help people like they say they do. They ARE liars...

I went to my counseling session at unemployment. Well, as usual, a waste of time. The woman was very, very nice, I don't have a problem with her at all. Turns out they don't have any work training classes and do not have a way to help you if you go to school.

Basically, they will help you go to school, but not really. They want you to check out fafsa and pell grants first, and then, and, now here's the kicker, You HAVE TO HAVE A JOB!!!!!

Now, I know I can go to school if I have a job, I don't need unemployment to tell me that. I thought the point of training was to get a job. These people want me to work full time and then go to school until 10pm everyday. She wants me to try to enroll in school by January. I reminded her that I didn't have a job. How is this helping???? It is not. Sorry, but I was very disappointed. The woman even gave me tips on how to job hunt. Gee, I've been doing it for 2 years now. Oh well, back to the drawing board.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 50 dead in Florida nightclub shooting, worst in... 16 min spocko 1,327
News Florida teens still behind national average on ... (Aug '08) Sat Paddling has its ... 20
News Marco Rubio, in reversal, will seek re-election... Jun 23 He Named Me Black... 5
News Trump's campaign spends $6 million with Trump c... Jun 23 Chilli J 7
News Marco Rubio of Florida will seek Senate re-elec... Jun 23 Go Blue Forever 1
News 2 Floridas emerge in attitudes toward LGBT comm... Jun 23 JohnInToronto 2
Japan Has Been Mastermind of Olympic Games from... Jun 22 fukuda 1
More from around the web