Starbucks lists 12 stores it's closing in S. Fla.

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Starbucks, hit hard by the nation's economic slowdown, plans to shutter at least 10 stores in Broward and Palm Beach counties and nearly 60 in Florida as part of its previously announced plan to close 600 ...
Comments
161 - 180 of 199 Comments Last updated Jul 27, 2008
Underdog

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Fernandez wrote:
Great news. I love it. I enjoy it when big chains close down. I loved it when Blockbuster had to do the same thing and I'm waiting for Home Depot and Wal-Mart to start any day now. Hopefully mom-and-pop stores can fill the void and sell quality products. I have never purchased anything at Starbucks and live for the day they close all of them down.
Wow. cool. do you live in a compound with other chicken littles crying for the end of the world...stocking up on rifles..inbreeding..you know the script. Or are you just a contrarian who hates things to look cool? I know that type, too.

What is it that you like about mom and pop stores..the higher prices? the happy feeling you get when they know your name? i could give a krapp if the guy working at walmart knows my name. i just want to go to one place to get as many things as i can. walmart does that for me. so does home depot, office depot, toys r us, and any other category killers. i love them. mom and pop will find a new job, with benefits, and be better off. i'll have more time to spend at work, or with my kids, or exercising, rather than running from one small store to another like a rat in a maze.

so why don't you stay up there in quincy, mass, on your compound or in your log cabin or your cave, or wherever you live, and keep rooting for the underdog. the rest of us will enjoy the fruits of civilization and progress.

p.s. life is not a liberal college campus. nobody is impressed with your save the little guy attitude. it's foolish. have a nice life, homer.
FLL

Kitchener, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

i am sure somebody else has pointed this out but check out the three locations for closures in Broward...all a little "dark" for coffee.
The Boss

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

OLD REAL ESTATE LAWYER wrote:
Once again PAUL OWERS IS MISLEADING READERS about foreclosures! FORECLOSURE FILINGS DON'T EQUAL ACTUAL FORECLOSURES since there are 3 to 4 filings for each home being foreclosed. WHY CAN'T PAUL OWERS SAY THAT. Rick Sharga, RealtyTrac's vice president of marketing ALSO SAID..."The news media is distorting and INFLATING the Realty Trac's foreclosure numbers by 300% for the past three years since Realty Trac tracks foreclosure FILINGS not foreclosures and there are 3 or 4 filings for each home in foreclosure." SHARGA added...I spend hours every day explaining the difference (foreclosures are a process NOT an event) to reporters (LIKE PAUL OWERS) but my warings FALL ON DEAF JOURNALISTIC YEARS, Sharga said! OWERS is quite content to MISLEAD READERS by NOT STATING that the relationship between FORECLOSURE FILINGS and actual foreclosures is at least 3 to 1. That means that there are 3 or even 4 filings for every home in foreclosure. FUNNY THAT PAUL OWERS won't tell readers that little technicality! PAUL OWERS is very happy to let readers MISLEAD THEMSELVES while he dances on the head of a pin!! Typical SLANTED JOURNALISM FROM THE SLUM-SENTINEL!
Ummmm.Okay. But we're talking coffee here. You know, starbucks shutting down, obnoxious barristas out on the street, etc. Unless you have something on-topic to add, please get lost you old fruit cake. Wait...before you go, would you like a grande cappucino with extra foam, and a little spit?
Ross77

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Not to worry Broward still has about "roughly" 300 other Starbucks to go to once the dozen or so Broward stores close. No big deal. Quite frankly I think Starbucks is great. If you don't like it, simply don't go.
Rep

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

I never liked their coffee anyway, only the specialities and their too fattening. It is sad though as to why they have to close.
Cobra Commander

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Thank god!! Now all of the yuppy's that buy that crappy Over priced coffee can spend it on even stupider stuff like mood rings and tie-die T-shirts.
Five Bucks Coffee

West Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Listen to what "the kid from Brooklyn" has to say about Star-Butts.
http://video.google.com/videoplay...
American Soldier

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Sunshine Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
Even off off-topic, you are so right. We continue to feed kids to this insatiable monster that cannot be killed by throwing bodies at it. I pray the political agenda in this country changes, so that the politicians finally see that our youth is more courageous and valuable than money or oil.
If politics would have worked, they would have worked a long time ago along with the U.N. Sanctions and embargoes. But, obviously they don't. 4,122 soldiers have died to date in the Iraq war. The war has gone on for what, 5-6 years? In 1 single day, 9/1/01, the terrorist killed 3,031 people, that's men, women, and CHILDREN! Our soldiers have killed roughly 55,000 Iraqi insurgents, whom if they had not died there, would have been able to cause another 9/11/01 and killed another couple of thousand men, women, and CHILDREN here in America. Thanks, but no thanks. I feal true regret for those U.S. soldiers whom have been killed, but at least they have died to protect our families from terrorist attacks here in the U.S.! Don't for one minute think that it can't happen to me, they have already done it. Remember 9/11/01 !!!!!!!!!!
no it all

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

$1.75 for a tall(small) half-caff aint too bad, especially when someone else makes it. Everything else is overpriced though. And why is the half-and-half container (usually more than one) empty most of the frigin time!!! Do the bums sneak in and guzzle it down when no one is looking?? Maybe they should add the cream for you, like they do at Dunkin Donuts.
no it all

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

American Soldier wrote:
<quoted text>
If politics would have worked, they would have worked a long time ago along with the U.N. Sanctions and embargoes. But, obviously they don't. 4,122 soldiers have died to date in the Iraq war. The war has gone on for what, 5-6 years? In 1 single day, 9/1/01, the terrorist killed 3,031 people, that's men, women, and CHILDREN! Our soldiers have killed roughly 55,000 Iraqi insurgents, whom if they had not died there, would have been able to cause another 9/11/01 and killed another couple of thousand men, women, and CHILDREN here in America. Thanks, but no thanks. I feal true regret for those U.S. soldiers whom have been killed, but at least they have died to protect our families from terrorist attacks here in the U.S.! Don't for one minute think that it can't happen to me, they have already done it. Remember 9/11/01 !!!!!!!!!!
Newflash dipshot, Iraq didn't attack us and there are about 18 million more Iraqis let, are our soldiers going to have to kill them all so they don't become terrorists? Did it ever occur to you that for every Iraqi that dies another potential terrorist takes his place? With your 'logic" this will never end.

Besides, if your such an American Soldier, why aren't you over there? Oh yeah, I forgot it's alot easier and safer to play armchair general.
Reality Check

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Red Bull wrote:
1100 W. Broward Blvd.
If you're going to report, at least report correct info. It's not that hard to double-check an address before you hit the GO button.
Hire me as an editor.
That is the least of this papers problems!
American Soldier

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

How many times, do we have to learn that there are times when politics just don't work? WWI, WWII, Vietnam, and the 1st Gulf War. Any of those ring a bell? Politics failed in all of those events. Korea, was the only one where politics worked. WWI and WWII both ended by the enemy surrendering. Vietnam, the soldiers won the battles, but were kept from winning the war by POLITICS! The 1st Gulf War, was ended before we could truely finish things. I myself was less than 200 miles from Baghdad. President George Bush Sr., stopped it due to world POLITICAL opinion. We were there, poised and ready to finish the job! If we ( the military ), had been allowed to finish the job properly, we would not have this war now. We have this war now, because of failed politics! So, politics is the reason we have the Iraq War! If Bush Sr. hadn't bowed to politics, we would not be in the situation now. History, should have taught us better, but no, we have to listen to the politicians instead of history!
American Soldier

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

no it all wrote:
<quoted text>
Newflash dipshot, Iraq didn't attack us and there are about 18 million more Iraqis let, are our soldiers going to have to kill them all so they don't become terrorists? Did it ever occur to you that for every Iraqi that dies another potential terrorist takes his place? With your 'logic" this will never end.
Besides, if your such an American Soldier, why aren't you over there? Oh yeah, I forgot it's alot easier and safer to play armchair general.
I was there, were you? I served my country in time of war. I was in the 1st Gulf war where, if it wasn't for failed politics, we wouldn't be in this war today! If I listened to your logic, I would be sitting back just waiting for some terrorist to kill my family. You can do that, but myself, I don't want that for my children.
ALG

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Please learn the local geography and correct the location of the Coral Square Mall. It is in the City of Coral Springs, not Pompano Beach.
Enough problems we have in Coral Springs with the need to pick-up missed registered mail at the Margate Post Office, to now also have our mall moved to another city.
Joe

Mount Laurel, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

coffee lover

Casselberry, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Thurston J Howell III wrote:
<quoted text>
I rarely go to Starbucks but I found myself needing to kill 15 minutes this morning so I stopped in and bought a large regular coffee. The cost was $2.07 including tax, so I don't know where this myth of a "$5 coffee" comes from. I guess people buy those specialty drinks and then call it "coffee".
Had there been a Dunkin Donuts or an Einstein Bagel around, I'd have gone to one of them instead....
You are correct, only 2 bucks for the best, freshest coffee in town. A properly run Starbucks is a fast and a very pleasant experience. They make their coffee every 30 minutes. And you flavor to your taste. Not so in a Dunkin.

Its hardly much cheaper in a 7/11, but there you have to wait 20 minutes while 1 cashier checks out 10 illegals.

I use my Bank of America keep the change card, check it out online. They round up and u keep the change, so on that 2.07, they give u 93 cents back. So u get it for a buck. Plus, the chicks in Starbucks are way easier on the eyes then in dunkin.

All these haters are just jealous and broke, they hate anyone who has disposable income and can spend it on a simple pleasure.
Cooper City Dad

Hialeah, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Take your muddy water back to Seattle.
Oops

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Big pension fund scandal:

(10) WHY has Freddie Mac failed to offer its pension plan funds, said to be worth about $2.0 billion (see point (3) above) for this purpose, given that the 'mainstream' media has now caught up with the fact that Freddie Mac is in financial difficulties, albeit over seven months behind the curve?

• BECAUSE THE FREDDIE MAC PENSION PLAN FUNDS DO NOT EXIST.

(11) Uh, GOLDMAN SACHS was reportedly Custodian/Manager for the Freddie Mac Pension Plan, when Paulson was Chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs. THE FREDDIE MAC PENSION PLAN FUNDS WERE USED TO SUPPORT THE DERIVATIVES BUSINESS OF GOLDMAN SACHS.

(12) Refer, please, to a Wall Street Journal article dated 15th July 2008 entitled 'Paulson drove plan to shore up Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac', in which you can read all about the fact that...

•'Paulson' wants 'EXPLICIT' guarantees on the loan portfolios of all the Government-Sponsored Enterprises, including of course the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (FHLMC) and the Federal National Mortgage Association (FNMA). WHY?

• ANSWER: To obfuscate and hide this PENSION FUNDS SCANDAL.

• And 'Paulson' has gone much further, arrogantly demanding powers to shovel out any amount of money to any segment of the financial sector at any time with no restraints whatsoever.

(13) So: WHY do you suppose that Rupert Murdoch received unwanted visitors on Monday 14th July, as reported above? Murdoch owns Dow Jones and is publisher of The Wall Street Journal, which has a DUTY to report the truth, if its reputation for objectivity is to remain intact and it is not to wind up as a public relations sheet for the kleptocracy. The reason Mr Murdoch was threatened was that his financial journalists were nosing around this situation and were duly SMELLING A RAT.

http://worldreports.org/news/149_confirmed_tw...
DAS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2008

Good.......
Pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2008

so who cares

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Florida Forum right now

Search the Florida Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 1 hr well then 2,390
idle crawler 3 hr Jisan 20
Should Florida ban pit bulls? 5 hr At Large 15
MSNBC's Matthews Invokes Bush v. Gore During Fr... 18 hr Cordwainer Trout 4
Florida Man Makes 911 Murder Call To Get Out Of... 22 hr Brevard Times 1
Appeals court asked to unblock Florida gay marr... Thu Frankie Rizzo 15
This and That (Dec '08) Tue THAT GIRL 26,002
•••
•••