African-American is a ridiculous term

Posted in the Florida Forum

First Prev
of 197
Next Last
Tyrannosapiens

United States

#1 Apr 19, 2009
I've always wondered who coined this nonsensical term. Most of the so-called African-Americans have never set foot in Africa and many can't even point out where Africa is on the World Map.

In other countries, what do black people insist on being called?
England: African-Britons?
France: Afrique-Francais?
Germany: Afrikaner-Deutsche?

Reporting a story from The Virgin Islands, a TV-reporter got in trouble with the producer back in New York because he referred to the local population as: black. The producer insisted on the term: African-American.
The reporter pointed out that the local population was neither African, nor American.
This argument was struck down by the producer and the term was changed, or otherwise the report would not have been accepted for airing.
Conclusion: It doesn't matter if the news are true, as long as they are politically correct.

All of this because of a confusing term.

OK, let's hear it, folks!

“Proud Southerner”

Since: Feb 09

Solsberry, IN

#2 Apr 19, 2009
I agree 100%. How many blacks can actually trace their ancestry, and I'm not trying to be racist or anything, but so many have no clue who their fathers are, nor their parents, etc. It is like those who call themselve Irish/Americans, etc. You are either American or Irish. I think they like to keep the term African American, as it keeps the old slavery issue going.
Tyrannosapiens

United States

#3 Apr 19, 2009
I've never heard any Caucasian complain about being referred to as "white". Apparently, there's no problem with it; it's short, easy to pronounce, and easy to understand. It refers only to the person's ethnic background (race), and nothing else.
"African-American" is long and tedious (7 syllables!) and seems to refer more to nationality than to ethnicity.
If you're born and raised in America, you're obviously American; everyone will know that. The need for mentioning nationality should only be necessary when you're traveling outside of the U.S.A. No need to mention it for a trip to the local drugstore.

So, what happened to "black"? Is it considered derogatory? If so, why?

And what happened to the original designation, i.e. the Spanish word for "black"? Why did that turn derogatory? Can't even write the word here out of fear of being stamped "racist".

To explain why I'm so puzzled about the above I may add that I'm originally from Europe, now a US citizen since 10 years. But I still haven't figured out the emergence of the term "African-American".
Deputy Dog

Altamonte Springs, FL

#4 Apr 20, 2009
Hey, there are Irish Americans, Italian American, Cuban Americans, etc.

But African Americans? It's an entire continent. Which blacks are from Egypt?

Can they even trace what their country of origin is?
Mixed Zimbabwean

UK

#5 Apr 22, 2009
Tyrannosapiens wrote:
I've always wondered who coined this nonsensical term. Most of the so-called African-Americans have never set foot in Africa and many can't even point out where Africa is on the World Map.
In other countries, what do black people insist on being called?
England: African-Britons?
France: Afrique-Francais?
Germany: Afrikaner-Deutsche?
Reporting a story from The Virgin Islands, a TV-reporter got in trouble with the producer back in New York because he referred to the local population as: black. The producer insisted on the term: African-American.
The reporter pointed out that the local population was neither African, nor American.
This argument was struck down by the producer and the term was changed, or otherwise the report would not have been accepted for airing.
Conclusion: It doesn't matter if the news are true, as long as they are politically correct.
All of this because of a confusing term.
OK, let's hear it, folks!
There is NOTHING wrong with the term African American African american is about recognising your heritage NOT about political correctness so what is your problem do you make a fuss when Irish or German Americans claim their heritage and identity do you throw a hissy fit over the term Italian American I bet not why is the term African American always single out.

“It's on! At last.”

Since: Sep 08

Newport Beach, CA

#6 May 4, 2009
Mixed Zimbabwean wrote:
<quoted text>
There is NOTHING wrong with the term African American African american is about recognising your heritage NOT about political correctness so what is your problem do you make a fuss when Irish or German Americans claim their heritage and identity do you throw a hissy fit over the term Italian American I bet not why is the term African American always single out.
I was hoping that some one like you would be able to shed some light on some of the questions in post #3.
Mixed Zimbabwean

UK

#7 May 14, 2009
No1Dane wrote:
<quoted text>
I was hoping that some one like you would be able to shed some light on some of the questions in post #3.
I just think it is hypocritical to single out the term African american when other groups are are allowed to hyphenate without people making a fuss what is good for the goose is good for the ganda no one complains when Americans of Irish, German or Italian descent use hyphens but oh no it's so wrong for blacks to recognise THEIR heritage. Do you think the KKK sees blacks as 'Americans. To me it's double standards.

Americans should stop fussing over something so trivial.

“Proud Southerner”

Solsberry, IN

#8 May 14, 2009
Mixed Zimbabwean wrote:
<quoted text>
I just think it is hypocritical to single out the term African american when other groups are are allowed to hyphenate without people making a fuss what is good for the goose is good for the ganda no one complains when Americans of Irish, German or Italian descent use hyphens but oh no it's so wrong for blacks to recognise THEIR heritage. Do you think the KKK sees blacks as 'Americans. To me it's double standards.
Americans should stop fussing over something so trivial.
I think all that hyphenate are ridiculous. If you were born and raised here, you are an American. If that bothers you, do a little research and go back to wherever your ancestors immigrated from.
DISGUSTED

Inkster, MI

#9 May 14, 2009
Tyrannosapiens wrote:
I've never heard any Caucasian complain about being referred to as "white". Apparently, there's no problem with it; it's short, easy to pronounce, and easy to understand. It refers only to the person's ethnic background (race), and nothing else.
"African-American" is long and tedious (7 syllables!) and seems to refer more to nationality than to ethnicity.
If you're born and raised in America, you're obviously American; everyone will know that. The need for mentioning nationality should only be necessary when you're traveling outside of the U.S.A. No need to mention it for a trip to the local drugstore.
So, what happened to "black"? Is it considered derogatory? If so, why?
And what happened to the original designation, i.e. the Spanish word for "black"? Why did that turn derogatory? Can't even write the word here out of fear of being stamped "racist".
To explain why I'm so puzzled about the above I may add that I'm originally from Europe, now a US citizen since 10 years. But I still haven't figured out the emergence of the term "African-American".
I thought Black was supposed to be Beautiful. I guess I'm getting too old to keep up with this politically correct BS!
Mixed Zimbabwean

Redruth, UK

#10 May 19, 2009
teeje63 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think all that hyphenate are ridiculous. If you were born and raised here, you are an American. If that bothers you, do a little research and go back to wherever your ancestors immigrated from.
I am not American you cretin I am posting from the UK, you Americans are shameless hypocrites it's Ok for whites to embrace and celebrate their heritage and identity but blacks are not allowed too no one gets upset is someone called themself an Irish American but African American is seen as 'politcal correctness, divisive and even racist and that is BULLSHIT.

What is so wrong about recognising your heritage
Dave

Boca Raton, FL

#11 May 19, 2009
It certainly is ridiculous.
How about if all of us whites call ourselves "European American's"?...
If you weren't born in Africa,you're an American!

“Proud Southerner”

Solsberry, IN

#12 May 19, 2009
Mixed Zimbabwean wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not American you cretin I am posting from the UK, you Americans are shameless hypocrites it's Ok for whites to embrace and celebrate their heritage and identity but blacks are not allowed too no one gets upset is someone called themself an Irish American but African American is seen as 'politcal correctness, divisive and even racist and that is ****.
What is so wrong about recognising your heritage
Try some reading comprehension there, moron.
simple

Kissimmee, FL

#13 May 20, 2009
Should be "American", Forget African American unless you were born in Africa and then moved to America and pledge allegiance to the USA, then and only then can you be callled an African American.
Mixed Zimbabwean

UK

#14 May 21, 2009
Dave wrote:
It certainly is ridiculous.
How about if all of us whites call ourselves "European American's"?...
If you weren't born in Africa,you're an American!
Call yourselves European Americans I dont care becuase if you are white you ARE indeed a European American and I doubt if blacks would care if you did in fact call yourselves European American, something so trivial as that would not bother most AFRICAN Americans at all.

It's funny no one would never says Irish or German American is ridiclous and all this about blacks separating themselves if they use the term African american is nonsence.
Mixed Zimbabwean

UK

#15 May 21, 2009
teeje63 wrote:
<quoted text>
Try some reading comprehension there, moron.
Shut up and get me a nice present, it's my birthday today.
simple

Kissimmee, FL

#16 May 21, 2009
African American is the same as gay Marriage you are either African or American and you can be gay or Married not both, well you could be an African gay or an American gay. Marriage is still reserved for a man and woman.

Watch this can of worms grow!
Mixed Zimbabwean

UK

#17 May 21, 2009
simple wrote:
African American is the same as gay Marriage you are either African or American and you can be gay or Married not both, well you could be an African gay or an American gay. Marriage is still reserved for a man and woman.
Watch this can of worms grow!
Your are taking bull and your comments are outragous African American means American of INDIGENOUS African descent boy you Americans are so thick and backward thinking a British person would fully understand what African American means it is no different from German or Irish American.

Saying your an African American is about recognising your African heritage,roots and bloodline most African Americans have at least 80% indigenous African blood. For some reason certain EUROPEAN Americans feel threatened. here in the UK the term African american is getting used more and more to discribe black Americans.

Comparing the term African American to gay marriage is stupid.
simple

Kissimmee, FL

#18 May 21, 2009
Mixed Zimbabwean wrote:
<quoted text>
Your are taking bull and your comments are outragous African American means American of INDIGENOUS African descent boy you Americans are so thick and backward thinking a British person would fully understand what African American means it is no different from German or Irish American.
Saying your an African American is about recognising your African heritage,roots and bloodline most African Americans have at least 80% indigenous African blood. For some reason certain EUROPEAN Americans feel threatened. here in the UK the term African american is getting used more and more to discribe black Americans.
Comparing the term African American to gay marriage is stupid.
Aren't you calling the kettle black? Long worm all the way from the UK!

Here in America, we call them Black Americans, If they complian we then call them American Blacks if they live here and support our flag. Otherwise they are just visitors. Singleing out one nationalality over all the others is stupid, as we all have ancestors from other lands but we don't go around calling ourselves _______- Americans, If one lives here pays taxes and supports the flag of this nation with sworn allegiance then that person can call him/her self an American period.

If an African migrates over to the US and lives here for a time he does not become an African American, He is still an African, until he is sworn in then he becomes an American got it?

Two gay men and two gay women can not be called married, they can form a union only. Marriage is for man and woman.
Mixed Zimbabwean

UK

#19 May 22, 2009
simple wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you calling the kettle black? Long worm all the way from the UK!
Here in America, we call them Black Americans, If they complian we then call them American Blacks if they live here and support our flag. Otherwise they are just visitors. Singleing out one nationalality over all the others is stupid, as we all have ancestors from other lands but we don't go around calling ourselves _______- Americans, If one lives here pays taxes and supports the flag of this nation with sworn allegiance then that person can call him/her self an American period.
If an African migrates over to the US and lives here for a time he does not become an African American, He is still an African, until he is sworn in then he becomes an American got it?
Two gay men and two gay women can not be called married, they can form a union only. Marriage is for man and woman.
Dont treat me like an idiot I know if someone comes from Africa they are still African until they become a US citizen, but then again they are still AFRICAN by their genetic bloodline even if they do become US citizens but I was in fact talking about the US born blacks and their right to call themselves African Americans if they want to it's called choice and people like you should get a life and stop throwing a hissy fit over something so trivial.
simple

Kissimmee, FL

#20 May 22, 2009
I'm just argeeing with the headline of this story, whats your excuse?

There is no such thing as an African American! Africa is NOT in the US.

Being born in a country will determine what a person should call themselves. But does not give them the right to call themselves what ever they feel like.

Blacks wanted to be noticed so they like gays will often make up names and ideas to get in your face.

I call it like I see it. Black, White, African, American, Russian, Japanese, Gay, etc...! Now do you get the point?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 197
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jetblue 9 hr kyman 1
trusted research chemical vendor 16 hr fred 7
Research Chemicals shop EU Forum. 16 hr fred 19
Research Chemicals per Nachnahme Kaufen Shop Mar 21 Heisenberg 7
No1 Research Chemicals Vendor China/EU Click a... Mar 21 Heisenberg 7
ChemicalCowboys Review Mar 21 Heisenberg 3
Top 10 Research Chemicals Shop EU. Mar 21 Heisenberg 15
More from around the web