2-car crash near UCF fatal for 1 driver

2-car crash near UCF fatal for 1 driver

There are 29 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 9, 2007, titled 2-car crash near UCF fatal for 1 driver. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

A man was killed Tuesday night during a two-car crash in east Orange County near the University of Central Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
So bad

Huntsville, AL

#1 May 9, 2007
Why doesn't this surprise me? I do everything possible to stay as far away from UCF that I can. Alafaya and Univeristy Blvd are race tracks where you very seldom see any law enforcement. When you do they just drive by and a couple minutes later he will come some 17 year old idiot weaving in and out of traffic doing 70 to 80 mph. Are cops afraid to patrol or monitor this area? Are they afraid they'll get called bad names by the students at UCF? Or are they afraid they'll have to do some work?
Understaffed

Orlando, FL

#2 May 9, 2007
So bad,

They are understaffed big time in that area. They respond to call after call for service in that area and do not have time for traffic enforcement.

Read the OCSO Staff Report that came out a few months ago and Sector 2, Zone 22, which is the UCF area, is the busiest area in the county and has the least Deputies for the population.

FHP is busy working accidents or construction sites all the time and can not do it.

UCF Police can enforce traffic in the area of the University by law, but UCF does not let them and they are very busy themselves. Lately they have had tons of burglaries, robberies, weapons calls, drugs, etc.

I agree there needs to be significantly more enforcement on Alafaya and University. It is without a doubt a Race Track.
Adam

United States

#3 May 9, 2007
I saw the cars right after the accident. One of them was at least 50 feet away from the point of impact landed on the oncoming lane and the left side of the vehicle was completely smashed! You can't do that kind of damage doing 45mph which is the speed limit there! The other car that hit the vehicle must have been doing at least 80mph to cause that kind of catastrophic damage!
Friend

Oviedo, FL

#4 May 9, 2007
The man killed was a wonderful young man named Jesus - with a bright future ahead of him that has now been ended. There is no way the driver that hit him was only 45 mph or less - I hope this gets thoroughly looked into.
The Hampton family

Orlando, FL

#5 May 9, 2007
Please let this be a reminder to all of us to always be carefull on the roads. This young man's life was needlessly taken away. My sympathies and prayers are to all members of his family and the countless number of friends in his short lived life. Please let us remember his friendly smile!!
Tragedy

United States

#6 May 9, 2007
One of my children went to school with Jesus. He was in our home many times during those years. Jesus was a bright young man who did very well academically in his advanced and gifted classes at Colonial High School. What a terrible tragedy to lose another life as a result of somebody [whoever it was] being careless and inattentive in their vehicle.
Dimas

Shreveport, LA

#7 May 9, 2007
I'm very sorry to hear the death of Jesus Ortiz.He was a former member of my church and a friend.He will be missed dearly.May Jesus Ortiz rest in peace.
Co worker

Orlando, FL

#8 May 9, 2007
May you rest in peace Jesus..From all of your co-workers at the Hyatt. You touched each of our life's.
Rebecca

Silver Spring, MD

#9 May 10, 2007
Please PRAY for one of the surviving occupants from this HORRIFIC AUTO ACCIDENT.She is suffering in a COMA with Critical Injuries.She is a VERY GIFTED, HARD WORKING, and HIGH ACHIEVING COLLEGE STUDENT.My Niece would do anything to help someone in need.Let's PRAY and offer her our support and encouragement at this time of experienced GREAT LOSS.She is the kind of person that lights up a room with both her wit and fun loving spirit.PRAY that GOD intervenes TODAY!!!
Wayne

Orlando, FL

#10 May 12, 2007
Please tell us how the injured young woman is doing? And where is she hospitalized. She is one of my former students and I would like to check on her.
Co-Worker

United States

#11 May 12, 2007
Do you know the young lady is doing that was in the car with Jesus? We are praying for her everyday and hope we hear good news soon.
Sister

Orlando, FL

#12 May 12, 2007
Please pray for Sarah.. she needs all the hope, love and prayer that we can give. She is still unresponsive as of Saturday evening.
Susan United States

Needmore, PA

#13 May 12, 2007
Sarah, my thoughts and prayers are with you today and every day. Just know that god is with you always and he will see through it all. Sister just sit and talk to her pray with her and make sure you tell her Gods with her.She will hear you and she will pray with you and soon you'll see what I'm talking about just go do it .
Susan United States

Needmore, PA

#14 May 12, 2007
This is not the place to look I know but my nices x-boy friend was killed in a car reck down there on thru or friday and I was trying to find the write up on it His name was William Reeves (Jr.) He was the nicest young man you would ever want to meet A very respectable boy I've ever had the honor of meeting. My heart goes out to his family and may God be with them.
So bad

Huntsville, AL

#15 May 14, 2007
Understaffed wrote:
So bad,
They are understaffed big time in that area. They respond to call after call for service in that area and do not have time for traffic enforcement.
Read the OCSO Staff Report that came out a few months ago and Sector 2, Zone 22, which is the UCF area, is the busiest area in the county and has the least Deputies for the population.
FHP is busy working accidents or construction sites all the time and can not do it.
UCF Police can enforce traffic in the area of the University by law, but UCF does not let them and they are very busy themselves. Lately they have had tons of burglaries, robberies, weapons calls, drugs, etc.
I agree there needs to be significantly more enforcement on Alafaya and University. It is without a doubt a Race Track.
I can understand it being the busiest of all areas. But then isn't that what management's for? Aren't they supposed to shift workload and coverage to keep things under control? We don't assign law enforcement coverage based on square mile areas do we? At least I hope we don't. This area needs more visability from law enforcement AND TO HIT THESE KIDS WHERE IT HURTS WHEN THEY DO CATCH THEM! Letting them off with traffic school and a $100 just doesn't do the job.
Its true

United States

#16 May 15, 2007
Go look at that OSCO staff report
100s, 1000s of robberies, burglarys, & other violent crimes are being committed every day going UNsolved even with knowing who the suspect is! The OSCO really doesnt care about UCF or their students, considering they also have to worry about downtown, & I-drive, & the convention center/terrorism security task force. Not to mention all of the other shitty surrounding cities in orange county.
I'll say it & it is true,
"Orlando (UCF area)- Great place to visit, horrible place to live"
HUH

Tampa, FL

#17 May 15, 2007
What does that have to do with this.
We all lost a very good friend. We don't
need to hear about your view on politics
here. Save your prayers for Sarah and
Jesus here!
Pam Flick Englewood FL

Grand Blanc, MI

#18 May 15, 2007
Co-Worker wrote:
Do you know the young lady is doing that was in the car with Jesus? We are praying for her everyday and hope we hear good news soon.
Hi Everyone! I am part of Sarah's family as I have shared in raising Sarah over the past 10 years and We love her very much. Sarah is in critical condition and in intensive care. Doctors have found a broken jaw, cracked rib and some minor cuts and bruises. Our biggest concern at this time is that Sarah is still in a coma. Doctors say the test results show no other physical trauma, brain or otherwise. All that can be done for her now is through everyones love and prayers. "Please come back to us Sarah". Please ask everyone to pray for Sarah and her family. Her mother and father as well as other family members have been with her every minute possible. Thank you to all those who have gone to the hospital, called and prayed for Sarah. Please continue to keep her and Jesus's family in your prayers. As soon as I know of a change in her status I will post it here for you all. God Bless!
Mama2WonderfulKi ds

AOL

#19 May 15, 2007
I live in the ucf area. It is horrible the college kids don't know how to drive. They race around you then stop in front of you to turn in the next driveway. Stupid people should lose the right to drive. I hope all in this last accident recover well. everyone else learn to slow down.
prayers are working

West Lafayette, IN

#20 May 17, 2007
Sarah opened her eyes yesterday and looked at people with recognition. She also flashed a "peace sign". THANK YOU to all who have been praying for her - please continue. She still has a long way to go, but your prayers are working!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald J.Trump is a CON-MAN and NOT A LEADER 6 hr Hillary 4
Attention Floridians!! 11 hr Cjkinthesun 1
News Absentee ballot returns show spike in unlikely ... Fri OccupyThis 2
GD Designs Rochdale (26) Aug 25 august005 1
News Officials: Zika won't hurt South Florida touris... Aug 23 WeTheSheeple 28
News Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and... (Feb '09) Aug 22 Jason sweat 443
News Collier residents tense over Zika spraying rules Aug 20 Zika Jack 2
More from around the web