Publix offers some drugs for free, bu...

Publix offers some drugs for free, but is dropping discounts on...

There are 80 comments on the SouthFlorida.com story from Aug 8, 2007, titled Publix offers some drugs for free, but is dropping discounts on.... In it, SouthFlorida.com reports that:

When Publix Super Markets announced this week that it was offering seven generic antibiotics for free to its pharmacy customers, it was also quietly discontinuing a policy that had allowed customers to obtain ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SouthFlorida.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jeff

Hollywood, FL

#1 Aug 8, 2007
I guess if you have a serious infection, you can have the antibiotics to treat it free. If you have a migraine, can't sleep, have stomach problems, or a myriad of other ailments, you will have to PAY!!!
smrf-it

United States

#3 Aug 8, 2007
Wal-Mart RULES
whatshanging

Longwood, FL

#4 Aug 8, 2007
No wonder why Publix's PROFITS WERE UP this last quarter
..but the STOCK share went unchanged....
I wonder who of the select few have PUBLIX untraded stock..umm humm
RED BARON

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Aug 8, 2007
Giving away medication for free is absurd. Especially medication that is already over-prescribed and will soon be useless against most infections that develop immunity to them. Publix should work on lowering prices across the board for all major generics and stop the PR stunts only intended to fool customers into switching from their existing pharmacies.
Be Grateful

Indiantown, FL

#7 Aug 8, 2007
Some people are never happy - they expect to get handed everything by everyone - be happy Publix chooses to give you anything at all!
no vaseline

Miami, FL

#8 Aug 8, 2007
Six of one - half dozen of the other.
john

Ankeny, IA

#9 Aug 8, 2007
Give one on Monday and take away twice as much on Wednesday
Bobby Joe

AOL

#10 Aug 8, 2007
Sorry to hear that Publix is dropping their $4.00 perscription plan. There are so many people out there that are unable to afford the high cost of perscription drugs through no fault of their own. We all were not born with a "silver spoon" in our mouths and it can be a struggle for those people who have to live on a fixed income. Many could be living comfortably if it was not for the cost of their medications. I have one perscription alone that costs $240.00 and there is no generic drug to replace it. I can afford it at this time, but should I need to take other medications in the future it may come to a choice of eating or medicines. Bless Wal-Mart for continuing their $4.00 plan.
judges

Hialeah, FL

#11 Aug 8, 2007
Publix is doing no one a service with free antibiotics if the other medicines are now going to be full price. I don't expect something for nothing, but pretending they are providing a public service while doing away with the better service of discounted prescriptions is just business taking care of business. This is fine too, but don't promote it for anymore than it is, taking care of their bottom line.
ut oh

Winter Haven, FL

#12 Aug 8, 2007
I'm amazed how it seems to be the norm that Americans should shop around for prescription drugs in order to get the best price. Why should we be making calls or driving around to various pharmacies to see who has lisinopril the cheapest?

The difference here is between something you need (Lipitor) and something that is a luxury (plasma TV). The former should be price fixed, the latter should be priced according to what the market will bear. Why? Because RX meds are a necessity, and plasma TVs are a luxury.

Oh, and has anyone else noticed that "Sicko" was removed from most FL theaters in about a month? What's up with that?
Charles

Apopka, FL

#13 Aug 8, 2007
And if people were smart enough, they would learn how to prevent illness rather than lining up for today's flavor of the month medication. When will everyone wake up? Hopefully before it is too late.
Cat

Boca Raton, FL

#14 Aug 8, 2007
Speaking of Publix---
Nobody mentioned that we basicaly have one chain supermarket in the entire state of Florida.
THE BEST IDEA OF ALL

New Orleans, LA

#15 Aug 8, 2007
All of you who are used to buying your generic prescription drugs at Publix for $4 should now go either to Wal-Mart or Target and while there do your grocery shopping as well. Publix's shell game will backfire, hopefully. Besides, food from Publix has gotten ultra-expensive, and there are other places that offer much better prices. Check out what's out there, folks. It pays to shop around!
ut oh

Winter Haven, FL

#16 Aug 8, 2007
Charles wrote:
And if people were smart enough, they would learn how to prevent illness rather than lining up for today's flavor of the month medication. When will everyone wake up? Hopefully before it is too late.
Tell me, Charles.. How do you prevent appendicitis? No one chooses to get sick. People do choose, however, to buy plasma TVs.

Since: Feb 07

Lake Worth, FL

#17 Aug 8, 2007
ut oh wrote:
I'm amazed how it seems to be the norm that Americans should shop around for prescription drugs in order to get the best price. Why should we be making calls or driving around to various pharmacies to see who has lisinopril the cheapest?
The difference here is between something you need (Lipitor) and something that is a luxury (plasma TV). The former should be price fixed, the latter should be priced according to what the market will bear. Why? Because RX meds are a necessity, and plasma TVs are a luxury.
Oh, and has anyone else noticed that "Sicko" was removed from most FL theaters in about a month? What's up with that?
Since there is no such thing as a Lipitor-deficiency disease, your characterization of RX meds as a necessity is a matter of marketed perception.

A larger problem than "expensive" pharmaceutical drugs is the fact that Americans perceive drugs as more important to survival than proper nutrition.

When your doctor tells you that you need Lipitor, it is because he has been marketed into that belief as well. Statin drugs deplete Co-Q10 levels in the body which can precipitate congestive heart failure. Cholesterol does not cause heart disease; fatty deposits within the vascular system are the RESULT of inflammation caused by environmental and metabolic toxins (free radicals) and nutritional deficiencies (especially GTF Chromium and Selenium). "Abnormal" cholesterol levels are more the result of metabolic liver issues, which is interesting to note considering the acknowledged TOXICITY of statin drugs on the liver.

Until we begin looking at our medical problems differently, we will remain enslaved to a pharmaceutical monopoly and subject to their lobbying ability, while ignoring the true cause(s) of what ails so many in America.
Kharlie Krist

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#18 Aug 8, 2007
Well I guess they got me. I am so fuxxking stupid. Well I thought we had the health care crisis solved. Shucks.

Since: Jun 07

Ocala, FL

#20 Aug 8, 2007
Listen if you have a problem with Publix not providing $4 scripts then don't buy it there. I don't see the big freaking deal. And there are other Chain supermarkets out there. It's not Pulix's fault they give better customer service and maybe that's why there aren't as many markets out there that may have fallen to the wayside.

You all are blaming a company assuming there are no other choices.

get back to work and stop complaining about useless things.
Kathy

Boynton Beach, FL

#21 Aug 8, 2007
What crybabies! Be thankful you live in a time and place that you have medication available for ailments that would have killed you 100 years ago.

Everyone wants everything for free these days. Why do any of you think Publix is responsible for you and your needs?
JOAN

Fort Pierce, FL

#22 Aug 8, 2007
maddawg wrote:
I TOLD YOU SO! Publix makes PAGE 1 with the "PEOPLE'S GOVERNOR CHARLIE" on Monday "GIVING FREE DRUGS"! Then on Wednesday on PAGE 2D they screw you! "MAMA SAID NOTHING IN LIVE IS FREE!" PUBLIX SCREWS YOU AGAIN!
I AGREE 100%

Since: Jun 07

Miami, FL

#23 Aug 8, 2007
Ha ha, Publix pull a magic trick on sick people, dangle "free" in front of them and then phuk’em with the prices while they are distracted. Ha ha,you got to love corporate America.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Nov 23 The Peoples Media 3,012
News Trump Hits Clinton on Emails, Bush on Iraq (Aug '15) Nov 22 vote doug jones 6
News Schiavo remembers Bush as 'making him miserable (Mar '15) Nov '17 Unreal 9
News Jeb Bush defends brother, says George W. Bush '... (Sep '15) Nov '17 RIP 21
News Op-Ed Contributors: How to Keep the Lights On A... Oct '17 Solarman 1
News Jerry Cliver will be released later this month (Sep '09) Oct '17 Wondering 132
News Jeb Bush Bashes Donald Trump After Debate - Def... (Sep '15) Oct '17 Small Minority 5
More from around the web