Centreville, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2011

Judged:

"Buckley's Tavern in Centreville, one of Delaware's best-known restaurants, is closing Jan. 15.

David Weir, executive chef and managing partner who has been running the business for the past two decades, said the building's owners, Bob Applegate and Bob Bolling, have decided not to renew his lease.

He said the owners plan to renovate the building, but do not yet have a new tenant.

The owners could not be reached for comment Wednesday afternoon."

"It's like a rock concert here on Sundays. Business is great," said Weir, who added he wasn't sure why the owners would not renew the lease.

"We've been trying to get a lease with these guys for a couple of years," he said. "They've had every restaurateur in Delaware through here."

"Ongoing buzz for the past few weeks is that restaurateur Dan Butler, who owns Piccolina Toscana and Deep Blue Bar and Grill in Wilmington as well as the nearby Brandywine Prime and Bistro on the Brandywine in Chadds Ford, Pa., will be taking over operations."

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2011120...

I can't believe it! This place has been here forever, we've been going there forever! This will be like having a best friend move away! I have to wonder why, it's always jammed.

“Let's Have a Good Discussion!”

Since: May 08

DNFTT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2011

Judged:

PNGreen wrote:
"Buckley's Tavern in Centreville, one of Delaware's best-known restaurants, is closing Jan. 15.
David Weir, executive chef and managing partner who has been running the business for the past two decades, said the building's owners, Bob Applegate and Bob Bolling, have decided not to renew his lease.
He said the owners plan to renovate the building, but do not yet have a new tenant.
"It's like a rock concert here on Sundays. Business is great," said Weir, who added he wasn't sure why the owners would not renew the lease.
"We've been trying to get a lease with these guys for a couple of years," he said. "They've had every restaurateur in Delaware through here."
"Ongoing buzz for the past few weeks is that restaurateur Dan Butler, who owns Piccolina Toscana and Deep Blue Bar and Grill in Wilmington as well as the nearby Brandywine Prime and Bistro on the Brandywine in Chadds Ford, Pa., will be taking over operations."
I can't believe it! This place has been here forever, we've been going there forever! This will be like having a best friend move away! I have to wonder why, it's always jammed.
I dunno, but this article sure makes it sound like the property owners have made a deal with the other restauranteur (Dan Butler) and they are refusing to give the current business a lease renewal so they can turn the location over to Butler. It doesn't seem to be a case where the existing business is in trouble-- as you say.

“Santa's Coming!”

Since: Nov 11

Centreville, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2011

Judged:

Dan Butler may be the key, he's very good at what he does, but it seems wrong to let these people go when business was so good, just to let Dan open another restaurant. His always are good, but the one in Chadds Ford is pretty pricy, unlike Deep Blue which is another favorite of ours. My absolute favorite is the little one on Union St. called the Eclipse and of course Moro which is always good. Our biggest problem is that the food at the club is so good, and it's only 5 min. away, and we always run into friends, so we too often just opt for the club.

Wilmington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2011

Judged:

PNGreen wrote:
WHAT?? Blasphemy! That’s one of my favorite places. Buckley’s is a fixture, they always delivered, excellent food, excellent atmosphere. We are losing the best this state has to offer one at a time. Is this another casualty of obamanomics?

“Santa's Coming!”

Centreville, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2011

Judged:

Tell me about it! It is less than 5 min. from home and the food was always good, we've been going there for ages. After parties and other events we would all troop over there for a late night snack. I will miss it. I don't know if Obamanomics or not, since Dan Butler is lined up to open another restaurant in it's place. Seems the owners of the building want to refurbish the building, it probably could stand that, and I guess Dan is in and these guys are out. I hope he doesn't change the character of the place, it's a small town feel where most of the people know each other. Meet me at Buckley's was always a rally cry. I mean, most of us grew up around Buckley's.

Wilmington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2011

PNGreen wrote:
Tell me about it! It is less than 5 min. from home and the food was always good, we've been going there for ages. After parties and other events we would all troop over there for a late night snack. I will miss it. I don't know if Obamanomics or not, since Dan Butler is lined up to open another restaurant in it's place. Seems the owners of the building want to refurbish the building, it probably could stand that, and I guess Dan is in and these guys are out. I hope he doesn't change the character of the place, it's a small town feel where most of the people know each other. Meet me at Buckley's was always a rally cry. I mean, most of us grew up around Buckley's.
Well, they re-did the Deer Park, I was skeptical about that but it turned out really nice. I only hope they don't change too much of the historic components. I always wonder why people elect to change something that has a proven track record and draw, it can go either way, make it or struggle and fail. Something like Buckley's has a fairly defined clientele that may not return if they do like the changes made.

Did you ever try Jessop's in Old new Castle? That is like a little English pub, old historic building like Buckley's, excellent food.

Wilmington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2011

Judged:

I see the trolls have visited here with their "nuts, clueless, mean, and spam" garbage. It must be horrible not to have a real life.

“Let's Have a Good Discussion!”

Since: May 08

DNFTT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2011

Judged:

exitde wrote:
I see the trolls have visited here with their "nuts, clueless, mean, and spam" garbage. It must be horrible not to have a real life.
I was just thinking the same thing. They apparently can't figure out that their activities only display how pathetic they are and reflects absolutely nothing about those they are desperate to make a focus of their pointless lives. The attempts to make others look bad totally fails and backfires, but apparently they can't see that in their need to fill empty hours with hate and jealousy of those having actual discussions of the issues. Oh well-- it's an established phenomenon of internet pathology that some dysfunctional activity will inevitably appear.

“Santa's Coming!”

Centreville, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2011

Judged:

Exit & GS, too right, besides, if they are going to do the cute little icons they need to understand just what "spam" is. I can see the rest, it's a matter of opinion or just plain mean spiritness but "spam"? It's like they have no idea what it means but like a child, gets off on the picture, I guess it's easier than reading. Looking back, I think they are just picking an icon that catches their eye, the brighter the better I guess. If they are going to judge they really should judge on content not their personal hatred for any and all here but themself.

I think I have been in Jessop's, but New Castle is really far from here, I can get to Newark the back way faster. When we were in college the Deer Park was sort of a hang out and it was pretty shabby, I haven't been there, or in Newark, for years other than for the odd football game or two. I've heard it's a lot nicer than it was back in the 70's.

Wilmington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2011

PNGreen wrote:
Exit & GS, too right, besides, if they are going to do the cute little icons they need to understand just what "spam" is. I can see the rest, it's a matter of opinion or just plain mean spiritness but "spam"? It's like they have no idea what it means but like a child, gets off on the picture, I guess it's easier than reading. Looking back, I think they are just picking an icon that catches their eye, the brighter the better I guess. If they are going to judge they really should judge on content not their personal hatred for any and all here but themself.
I think I have been in Jessop's, but New Castle is really far from here, I can get to Newark the back way faster. When we were in college the Deer Park was sort of a hang out and it was pretty shabby, I haven't been there, or in Newark, for years other than for the odd football game or two. I've heard it's a lot nicer than it was back in the 70's.
Oh yea, I remember the sticky floors there, the "towny side" bar, the Stone Ballon, Down Under, it was great back then! The Park a lot nicer now. Nacho night is Wed nights, worth going for. All their food is good down there now, the second floor is seating, it's nice.
hereandthere

New Castle, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2012

I wouldn't eat at Jessops if you paid me. They failed their health inspection twice. The kitchen is filthy and the service sucks.

Wilmington

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2012

hereandthere wrote:
I wouldn't eat at Jessops if you paid me. They failed their health inspection twice. The kitchen is filthy and the service sucks.
WOW. When did all that happen? That's news.
Georgie Blymier

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2012

Golden Horseshoe wrote:
There is something to be said about the building this restaurant is housed in because it does help with the ambiance.
On the other hand these chefs are outstanding. If the present owners don't want to work with you find another building if possible but hopefully in and around the same location. Easier said then done probably.
Wherever you go your clients will find you because you are outstanding in your food!
Please put out there on social media what will be happening.
We drove down form PA to dine the other week and were so surprised and sad to see Buckley's was closed.
sss

Easthampton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2012

asfd
missing buckleys

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

when... when.... when ..??
we miss you Buckleys !!
One of DE's BEST resturaunts !!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Delaware Discussions

Search the Delaware Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
lottery is fixed and they are robbing the peopl... (Aug '06) Wed mark 541
Delaware Lottery: More than $65,000 unclaimed Jun 30 lotteryagent 2
I wanted to Report Bad contractor (Oct '10) Jun 17 Huntsville tx 20
Messiah Yeshua needs to be revealed to His Jewi... Jun 17 Donna Lee 1
How Safe is the downtown area in Wilmington, DE? (Jun '07) Jun '14 Scary 63
In Delaware, agriculture still a big farming deal Jun '14 First 1
dads of delaware the fight for fathers rights. (Jul '08) Jun '14 Fighting for kids 53
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••