Gas Shortage?
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#1 Mar 8, 2011
Picture this: thousands of bicycles on the road headed to work, no cars. Picture this: pedel to the grocery store to find there are no groceries to be had. Picture this: car payments on a car or two that you can't drive because you can't get gas for it at all. Could happen. Could happen very soon.

Just the situation in Egypt could force prices beyond what most can pay. We're sitting on the biggest reserves we've ever had but the price is going up. Why? The Suez canal in located in Egypt. The bulk of our oil travels through that canal. If the new government isn't friendly towards the US (and it probably won't be) our oil could have to travel an extra 3 MONTHS to reach us because we can't go through the canal. What is that going to do to the price?$5,$10, maybe $20 per gallon?

Then there is the rest of the middle east. Did you know that a poll over there shows that 84% of the people favor the death penalty for anyone converting to Christianity? They don't like us. They can shut off our oil at any time. They can put this country to a dead halt any time they decide they want to. When our trucks can't get fuel how do we get groceries to the stores?

Yes, somebody should do something and it's not the oil companies that are the problem. It's our government. Did you know that the Dept of Energy was created to LESSEN our dependence on foreign oil? Haven't they done a good job? The only reason we started importing oil in the first place is that it was cheaper. it's not even cheaper anymore and we have people in this country that would like to have those jobs. We have oil. We have a 200 year supply of oil right here in this country. Don't even have to drill under water to get it. No more oil spills, no more imports, so whats the problem? The tree huggers won't let us drill for it. We might endanger some rat thats about to be extinct or something.

I think it's about time we quit electing politician lawyers and community organizers and start electing businessmen and leaders who know how to use some common sense and run this country instead of using the whole time they're in office trying to win their next election. This country has bigger problems than how much salt is in our food. It's time we start taking care of OUR country.

We need to supply our OWN oil. We need to get up and running NOW. Before we get to the part about the bicycles. It takes some time to get up and running and we might not have much time.

Myself? I think Rocky Mountain Spotted Owl tastes like chicken and if it comes down to him or me? Well, bye bye owl.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#2 Dec 1, 2011
Or maybe instead of pumping the oil up out of the ground and using it up as fast as possible we should start to conserve energy. If we pump it up, where are we going to put it?

Maybe bicycles isn't a bad idea. Look at the Amish. They get by just fine without cars. And it isn't a struggle for them, it is just how it is. And they are neither poor nor backwards. I would love to trade in my car for a horse and carriage.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#3 Jan 23, 2012
The Struggle to Define What We Truly Need - NYTimes.com
[Oct 17, 2011] Carl Richards is a certified financial planner in Park City, Utah. His sketches are archived here on the Bucks blog and on his personal Web site ...
bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/the-strugg...

"There seems to be a constant battle between what we have, what we need and what we think we want.

About a year after my wife and I had our first child, we moved into a neighborhood with homes built decades earlier. Each had two or three bedrooms. We soon noticed that when people had a third or fourth child they moved from the neighborhood in search of more space. One day I mentioned this to my next-door neighbor, who was 70 at the time, and he expressed surprise.

He and his wife had raised their five kids in one of the smallest homes on the block.

One of the most challenging personal finance issues we all face is the ever-expanding definition of “need.” Things we once considered clear luxuries have somehow becomes necessities, often without any consideration of how the change in status happened.
Cars that seemed just fine now seem old fashioned. Then there are children and their cellphones. Only a few years ago it would’ve seemed outlandish for 14-year-olds to need one at all, let alone the latest iPhone."

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#4 Jan 23, 2012
The American Conservative -- Lumpen Leisure
Lumpen Leisure PDF. Bread and circuses … and jet-skis. By James Howard Kunstler. Digg Stumble Upon Newsvine Slashdot Mixx Diigo ... PDF. Bread and circuses … and jet-skis. By James Howard Kunstler. Digg Stumble Upon Newsvine Slashdot Mixx Diigo ...
www.theamericanconservative.com/article/2006/...

Among the many wonders and marvels of American life in the 20th century, especially after World War II, when our country ruled much of the world economically, was the astounding rise in standards of living among social classes that had hardly known leisure or had a dollar to spare on its accoutrements from time immemorial. The subject of class in America has been so sore that we can barely acknowledge its existence, despite the workings of whole industries devoted to exploiting the envy of the lower orders. The very term—lower orders—would be considered grounds for sacking if I had the misfortune of teaching at a college and will certainly be seized on by critics as evidence of my intellectual unfittedness. In short, any discourse on class consciousness is regarded in America these days as an obscenity far worse than stealing $100 million from the shareholders of a telecom corporation.

I write this as someone who does not have a Marxist bone in his body—I am devoid of the impulse to reform the social class system per se precisely because I regard it as an implacable fact of life. The universe is organized hierarchically, and that’s all there is to it. All of the subcategories of things in it tend to be organized hierarchically, too, especially the social life of animals, including human beings. It might be argued that the hunter-gatherers of prehistory enjoyed more pure equality in their little bands and tribes, but that was only because they possessed next to nothing in material wealth. The rest, literally, is history. Once civilization got up and running, the story was nothing but class, since our complex societies required many layers of organization in the making, moving, and caretaking of things, and some persons enjoyed more favorable roles than others.

Industrial civilization enlarged the middle class without necessarily relieving the misery of the lower classes, which also grew, shifting their labors from the farm to the factory. Marxism was, of course, an effort to reform industrial society by inciting the lower orders to make war on all the orders above them. It failed because it eliminated the necessary incentives for producing industrial wealth—namely, the legal right of persons to accumulate it—while it additionally failed to abolish privilege among the politically connected. So privileged persons in places like the Soviet Union simply worked around the artificial impediments to a superior lifestyle, while the masses toiled in squalid and resigned futility."
..."Where does this leave us as we enter the post-cheap-oil world and eventually a world altogether without recoverable fossil fuels? You could say up a cul-de-sac in a rusted GMC Denali without a fill-up. Or in a society that will have to get its thrills and satisfactions in other ways, involving fewer prosthetic projections of our will to power. The will to power itself will probably be subdued by something more elemental: a will to stay warm, clean, and well nourished in the era of post-oil-and-gas hardship and turbulence we are entering. "

Since: Nov 11

Wilmington

#5 Jan 23, 2012
Unfortunately we are still a decade or so away from vehicles that will put a real dent in oil consumption. Until then, and really decades past that for electricity in large quantities, we are going to be using oil. We need to develop our resources, at least to a point where an oil shut off from the Arabs will not cripple us. Once we start pulling our own oil up the price of oil will plummet, who will they sell it to? We are doing nothing more than subsidizing our enemy at this point. We will ultimately supply the financing of our own demise. We need to be in a position where we can cut off the Arabs, not living in fear of them cutting us off. We live in a huge country and the infrastructure dictates people need vehicles, that is not going to change. Cities may improve but that's it. We need vehicles and we need fuel for them, bottom line. Until we get decent leadership in Washington that is working for the best interest of this country, we will continue to pay the price. The empty suit in Washington stopped the Keystone pipeline, that oil could very well go to China now. Another example of America being undermined and sold down the river.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#6 Jan 24, 2012
@exitde, "The empty suit in Washington stopped the Keystone pipeline, that oil could very well go to China now." It was always the intention to build the Keystone XL pipeline so oil could go to China! Is that your idea of making America energy efficient and less -reliant on foreign oil resources? Give a foreign oil company ,TransCanada a free boost up on selling our number one energy competitor,China North American tarsands dirty oil resources. How is that helping us?

There are more than 2 choices. How about this one: invest in efficiency and conservation, which is actually CHEAPER per unit of energy saved? Amory Lovins calls them "negawatts"---megawa tts of energy that you don't need because you insulated or did other conservation measures. The oil companies don't like this approach, of course, because they make less money. But if we go that route we spend less and put out less Green House Gas. Now, if only there were HUGE companies who profited from negawatts, we'd hear more about. Since there aren't, we've got to do the thinking and learning ourselves--and not listen to the politicians who get big bucks from energy companies.
pikecreek19808

Wallingford, PA

#7 Jan 24, 2012
Well said, Frontporch! It is time the oil companies put their "patriotism" where their mouth is.
You wrote:
Since there aren't, we've got to do the thinking and learning ourselves--and not listen to the politicians who get big bucks from energy companies.
Exactly Frontporch. they do not have the best interest of the country at heart. Leave it to Exit to try and turn this into some anti-Obama rant. Quite an obsession, eh?

Since: Nov 11

Wilmington

#8 Jan 24, 2012
frontporchreactionary wrote:
@exitde, "The empty suit in Washington stopped the Keystone pipeline, that oil could very well go to China now." It was always the intention to build the Keystone XL pipeline so oil could go to China! Is that your idea of making America energy efficient and less -reliant on foreign oil resources? Give a foreign oil company ,TransCanada a free boost up on selling our number one energy competitor,China North American tarsands dirty oil resources. How is that helping us?
There are more than 2 choices. How about this one: invest in efficiency and conservation, which is actually CHEAPER per unit of energy saved? Amory Lovins calls them "negawatts"---megawa tts of energy that you don't need because you insulated or did other conservation measures. The oil companies don't like this approach, of course, because they make less money. But if we go that route we spend less and put out less Green House Gas. Now, if only there were HUGE companies who profited from negawatts, we'd hear more about. Since there aren't, we've got to do the thinking and learning ourselves--and not listen to the politicians who get big bucks from energy companies.
A "negawatt"? You are kidding right? Being in the oil industry for over twenty years, and in positions to know what is going on; I can honestly say you don't have a clue. "Green" energy will not happen to any extent for a few more decades. Taking a loss, wasting money and paying too much for less than effective equipment is going to do no more than......waste money. We simply don't have the technology now to make it profitable to use. That's right, you read it right, PROFITABLE. That is the way it works. We are making progress though. And.... oil companies really could care less about if you insulate or not, in fact they encourage it. Where in the world do you get your information?

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#9 Jan 24, 2012
@exitde, "Green" energy will not happen to any extent for a few more decades." It is going on right now since we've had a growing green economy for 30 or more years going back to the late 70's first oil shocks. Today, 1.7 million Americans work in the green economy--and growing. Solyndra's "failure " was because of too quick success in the overall solar panel market---manufacturing and tech breakthroughs made solar panels so cheap to make that Solyndra was unable to adapt fast enough to the market changes and grab a greater market share from the Chinese. Further, I noticed you had no reply comment on the fact that the Keystone XL pipeline would have done nothing to help our energy needs--it was to be built to seel the tarsands dirty oil in Asia markets, namely China. Thus the Keystone XL pipeline would have harmed America's national energy security in selling tarsands oil to our biggest energy and Pacific Rim rival and increasing greenhouse gas that's causing irreversible environmental damage to us and the planet.

Since: Nov 11

Wilmington

#10 Jan 25, 2012
frontporchreactionary wrote:
@exitde, "Green" energy will not happen to any extent for a few more decades." It is going on right now since we've had a growing green economy for 30 or more years going back to the late 70's first oil shocks. Today, 1.7 million Americans work in the green economy--and growing. Solyndra's "failure " was because of too quick success in the overall solar panel market---manufacturing and tech breakthroughs made solar panels so cheap to make that Solyndra was unable to adapt fast enough to the market changes and grab a greater market share from the Chinese. Further, I noticed you had no reply comment on the fact that the Keystone XL pipeline would have done nothing to help our energy needs--it was to be built to seel the tarsands dirty oil in Asia markets, namely China. Thus the Keystone XL pipeline would have harmed America's national energy security in selling tarsands oil to our biggest energy and Pacific Rim rival and increasing greenhouse gas that's causing irreversible environmental damage to us and the planet.
The pipeline should be built, there is absolutely no reason it shouldn't be. The oil is dirty? How, define dirty oil. Basically oil is hydrogen and carbon and contains sulfur of various amounts depending on the crude. Do you mean it's a heavy crude? What irreversible damage to the planet? That is a pretty broad statement, do have some specifics other than the worn out green house gas fabrication. There no proof what so ever of global warming attributed to man, it can however be proven that it is a cylce of the earth's weather patterns.
I agre solar power is the way to go, but we are not there yet, oil we be in use for decades, that is a fact. Since you are so worried about the environment, can you jusitfy importing ANYTHING from a country that does not mirror our own EPA laws? Our imports would be ZERO. Think about that one for awhile.
Pikecreek19808

Wallingford, PA

#11 Jan 25, 2012
--it was to be built to seel the tarsands dirty oil in Asia markets, namely China.

So how is this going to help us, Exit? Usual right-wing talking points? The oil is going to China? Well?

There no proof what so ever of global warming attributed to man, it can however be proven that it is a cylce of the earth's weather patterns.

Yeah, LOL and the earth is flat, too.All that money and research, but they are just joking, eh? More Tea Party Talking points. Sure you don't belong to the flat earth society?
Hint for today:
Just becuase the Repub/Tea Party says it, doesn't make it true. Even though you are a Repub, you are permitted to think for yourself. Please do.
exitde

Wilmington, DE

#12 Jan 25, 2012
Pikecreek19808 wrote:
--it was to be built to seel the tarsands dirty oil in Asia markets, namely China.
So how is this going to help us, Exit? Usual right-wing talking points? The oil is going to China? Well?
Better go back and do your homework on that one. The pipeline is to deliver oil to American refineries in about four states. Some may be exported, but it is generally for our use. How is the oil dirty, does it need a bath or something? Can you define dirty? Do you have any remote idea of what you are talking about?

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#13 Jan 25, 2012
@exitde, "The pipeline is to deliver oil to American refineries in about four states. " There are already American/Canadian oil pipelines that criss-cross the middle-western US--those pipelines are not even being used at full capacity and won't be for another 20 years--thus another reason why Keystone XL wasn't to be built to help transport oil to US refineries. The Keystone Xl pipeline end destination were tax free trade zone Gulf of Mexico US sea ports in Texas-- precisely for exporting petroleum to Asian markets(China).

Since: Nov 11

Wilmington

#14 Jan 25, 2012
frontporchreactionary wrote:
@exitde, "The pipeline is to deliver oil to American refineries in about four states. " There are already American/Canadian oil pipelines that criss-cross the middle-western US--those pipelines are not even being used at full capacity and won't be for another 20 years--thus another reason why Keystone XL wasn't to be built to help transport oil to US refineries. The Keystone Xl pipeline end destination were tax free trade zone Gulf of Mexico US sea ports in Texas-- precisely for exporting petroleum to Asian markets(China).
It is going to get built, and it is more than a tax free zone destination. Why would Canada pump it through the US to sell to China? They can load it themselves up there. Depending on the product, pipe size, booster pump type, yes, they may not all be used 100% of the time for certain products. They will not do a line wash half way across a state to change products when another dedicated line is available. Lines are routinely taken OOS for inspections and service. There is more to this story than you even begin to take into consideration.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#15 Jan 25, 2012
@exitde," Why would Canada pump it through the US to sell to China?" How else to get the tarsands oil to the Valero refineries that make it into petroleum products to be sold in the Asian markets. DUH!
exitde

Wilmington, DE

#16 Jan 25, 2012
frontporchreactionary wrote:
@exitde," Why would Canada pump it through the US to sell to China?" How else to get the tarsands oil to the Valero refineries that make it into petroleum products to be sold in the Asian markets. DUH!
Canada doesn't have any ports? They don't need to pump to us to load a vessel to sell overseas, that's the point, and that is not the entire purpose of the pipeline, it is also going to supply our refineries. It's going to get built, the smoke screen put up by Obama is quickly being challenged and torn apart, there is no legitimate reason not to build it at this point.
pikecreek19808

Wallingford, PA

#17 Jan 26, 2012
exitde wrote:
<quoted text>
It is going to get built, and it is more than a tax free zone destination. Why would Canada pump it through the US to sell to China? They can load it themselves up there. Depending on the product, pipe size, booster pump type, yes, they may not all be used 100% of the time for certain products. They will not do a line wash half way across a state to change products when another dedicated line is available. Lines are routinely taken OOS for inspections and service. There is more to this story than you even begin to take into consideration.
Why would Canada pump it through the US to sell to China?
Well Exit, why do you think??? C'mon you are not that dense....yet.
You wrote:
There is more to this story than you even begin to take into consideration
Which means you have run out of your bogus arguments, Exit.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#18 Jan 26, 2012
@exitde, "it is also going to supply our refineries." Our US refineries are already operating at full capacity which means that they must be getting enough oil from regular sources --we're a net exporter of oil under Obama ;remember? So, the tarsands oil isn't even needed to be exploited -- we don't need it and clearly our natural environment doesn't need it.
exitde

Wilmington, DE

#19 Jan 26, 2012
frontporchreactionary wrote:
@exitde, "it is also going to supply our refineries." Our US refineries are already operating at full capacity which means that they must be getting enough oil from regular sources --we're a net exporter of oil under Obama ;remember? So, the tarsands oil isn't even needed to be exploited -- we don't need it and clearly our natural environment doesn't need it.
Yes we are exporting, but where is that oil that is being refined coming from? Not here, from countries who have been controlling the flow for too long. One of things we need to do is reduce Arab oil to, this pipeline will help do that. Being an exporter of refined products, gas to be exact, why are we paying almost double since Obama took office? Do you see something wrong with that?

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#20 Jan 26, 2012
@exitde, You're not going to reduce dependency on foreign oil by buying oil from another foreign oil source--you're still tied up in the international oil markets. You reduce your dependency by shutting off the oil spigot yourself, through conservation, through developing alternatives to oil and oil products now with the technology and science we have available in developing renewable ,clean energy in solar ,wind , geothermal,and biomass carbon-free fuels. And your argument that we can't do it because we don't have the science or technology yet is bogus--we must have it if wind ,solar , and geothermal businesses are already here and making carbon-free products.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delaware Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lottery is fixed and they are robbing the peopl... (Aug '06) 4 hr gary w 693
living in delaware (Jul '06) Oct 27 Knoxxie 554
dads of delaware the fight for fathers rights. (Jul '08) Aug '17 MrMacc18 61
News Delaware Division of Substance Abuse and Mental... Jul '17 humanspirit 3
How Safe is the downtown area in Wilmington, DE? (Jun '07) Jul '17 Rob Foraker 67
Miss Delaware on Seeking Arrangements (May '16) Jul '17 Cfpeter 2
Where have the honest people gone? (Mar '17) Mar '17 Whosonfirst 1
More from around the web