Necrotizing Fasciitis
Michelle Edwards

AOL

#1 Feb 28, 2006
I want to know how come the law does not permit me to bring a medical malpractice lawsuit against Christiana Hospital of which I contracted the flesh eating bacteria infection from after delivering my son via c-section. How come the laws allow people to sue for the most ridiculous reasons and win lots of money for such things as putting coffee between their legs and getting burnt, I mean come on. Where is the JUSTICE at? Why do I have to live like this and have to live with pain for the rest of my life because of negligence of the hospital in giving me this infection. Who is going to tell me that I brought the infection in with me. WHO!!!!!!!!!! I want answers, can someone give me answers?
ashlee

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Apr 24, 2006
Michelle Edwards wrote:
I want to know how come the law does not permit me to bring a medical malpractice lawsuit against Christiana Hospital of which I contracted the flesh eating bacteria infection from after delivering my son via c-section. How come the laws allow people to sue for the most ridiculous reasons and win lots of money for such things as putting coffee between their legs and getting burnt, I mean come on. Where is the JUSTICE at? Why do I have to live like this and have to live with pain for the rest of my life because of negligence of the hospital in giving me this infection. Who is going to tell me that I brought the infection in with me. WHO!!!!!!!!!! I want answers, can someone give me answers?
wow, that's seriously messed up! what happened to you and your child?
patrick

Media, PA

#3 May 10, 2006
Michelle Edwards wrote:
You have to prove that the hospital was negligent!
The so called flesh eating bacteria are everyware around us. So I cannot say the hospital was negligent until you prove your case. No lawyer will take your case if you don't have one.In order for a lawyer to take your case there should be clear cut evidence that you contracted it in the hospital. No lawyer will take the case if he can't win it.
Cheryl

Seattle, WA

#4 May 16, 2006
patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to prove that the hospital was negligent!
The so called flesh eating bacteria are everyware around us. So I cannot say the hospital was negligent until you prove your case. No lawyer will take your case if you don't have one.In order for a lawyer to take your case there should be clear cut evidence that you contracted it in the hospital. No lawyer will take the case if he can't win it.
You need to do some research on the necrotizing Fasciitis Bacteria. Most lawyers are not familier with it but it's becoming more and more common. It can be proven because that disease cycle can take your life in 48 hours. You were cut in the hospital when you had your son, that is when the bacteria invaded your body. It's Group A strep bacteria. It's a hard case but it's worth going after. I know a lawyer handling a case for a friend of mine. I had a friend that died from that disease. If you are interested send me an e-mail. [email protected]
Dawn

United States

#5 Feb 8, 2009
I agree with the above post. Very hard to prove that you contracted the bacteria in the hospital. Any time you have an open wound, it's a source of infection, and bacteria are everywhere. It is actually more likely that you put your hand on something in the grocery store and then touched your incision then from the surgical instrument which is processed in a sterile manner. Plus, I'm assuming you signed a consent prior to the delivery, and on that consent you acknowledge that infection is a possible risk and that you are consenting to treatment being informed of that risk. Sorry that happened to you though.
Brad

Lexington, KY

#6 Mar 18, 2009
Why is it not possible that she was infected in the hospital. My grandmother went in for a minor surgery following up on open heart surgery. She got the bacteria and never made it out of the hospital. She passed away last Friday. She was under the care of the hospital the entire time. As fast as it spread there was no way she had it before she went in. They told us the would were getting better, but when they removed the bandages at the funeral home her skin was green. It is a clear cause of negligence and we are currently looking for a lawyer.
Jamie

Sorel, Canada

#7 Apr 26, 2009
I went in to McMaster for a Hystorectomy and when i was in the recovery room i woke and told the nurse that something is wrong that i was in too much pain, but because i had a history of anxiety she asked me if i wanted something for anxiety! totally ignoring the fact i was compaining of pain!(i have had a few abdominal surgeries and i knew this was unusual pain) I continued to get more sick and i was declining quick and i had every sign of flesh eating disease (fever,redness swelling,rash, severe and intolerable pain) but no one beleived me when i kept telling them something was reaaly wrong and i wanted someone to help me,but no one did anything untill minutes before my possible death.I had a heart rate of 180 beats per minute,fever and i was taken to ICU. They removed a 42 cm hole including muscle in my abdomen.2years later still having alot of pain(CT shows that the muscle did not and will not all heal) so any time i do anything that needs stomache muscles i swell and have alot of pain(muscle spasms) but the thing that really upsets me is the Surgeon would not see me or allow me to book appt until i went to the head of OBS/GYNE at Mac 18months later! he agreed to see me just to tell me they dont know what to do with me! But after my meeting with the head of OBS/GYNE the pastic surgeon(there was 3 different surgeons involed) offered to fix me at no cost to me! funny,why, he is a reaaly nice guy (the only Dr that would even agree to see me) I want to find out legally where i stand
micro

Harrington, DE

#8 May 5, 2009
I work in the hospital in the micro lab. While I must say it is very unfortunate that this happened, the hospital can't be held responsible. Bacteria is everywhere. If you could sue than everyone who enters the hospital that gets noscomial infections would be eligible to sue. Uriniary tract infections, pneumonia and surgical wound infections happen to about 1 every 10 hospital patients.
Not alone

United States

#9 May 29, 2009
This is unfair.
CMG

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Jun 13, 2009
How is it the Hospital's fault. Maybe the bacteria was already on you. Suing is not the soulution. Taking responsibility for yourself is the soulution.
Perspectives

Littlehampton, UK

#11 Oct 12, 2009
I lost limbs from this bacteria that entered my body from an injection given in a hospital, no legs and no fingers. Does that mean I should just learn to live with that and not sue?
dmm675

Watsonville, CA

#12 Nov 26, 2009
I see a few people have posted that the bacteria could be on you when you enter the hospital and then enter your body as a result of surgery. I am not a medical professional, so I would like someone who says the bacteria can be on you when you enter the hospital to explain something. I had a c-section in which they swabbed a VERY large area of my abdomen and upper thighs with betadine (I presume to sterilize the area from bacteria). Please explain how bacteria that is already on me gets into the surgical site during surgery if they swabbed the area to kill bacteria. I have had 2 surgeries post c-section due to abscess and the wound still has not healed completely, 11 months after the fact.
un liberal doctor

Theodore, AL

#13 Sep 20, 2010
Okay, my mom had a simple bakini cut historectomi.(very common surgery) the doctor sent her home with no antibiotics or pain pills, she noted she was running a fever as she left the home not feeling good, which she has delieverd 3 kids and never feeling this way, having a very distinct smell to her. after having a fever for over 3 days, and her incision was turning black and blue and it was very smelly, she could barely walk.Very sad to see your mom this way, she immediatley went to the hospital, AND CONTACTED the doctor everyday after the surgery they admitted her, thenthe doctor was finally contacted and examined her *knwowlinly she had an infectiong* checked her out and said she was going in for another surgery scheduled at 12 pm, the doctor was late, didnt come untill 1:00 pm,((knowinly it is some sort of gang green)) and that flesh eating bacterias are on the RISE and can kill you in up to 48 hours!!!...well when the doctor went in it has progressed soo far they called 4 doctors from 4 states..they cut into her whole stomach leaving her cut like a fish, taking over 50 lbs. she had a stomach womb vaccum for over 3 months, she was in a hospital bed for over 3 months, SHES A TRUE SURVIVOR.(miricale)
her stomach is lobsided and she can never work or lifr over 15lbs again. she is currently applying for social security disability
if anyone knows of a very good attorney or if she should even pursue this please contact me at
[email protected]
jamie

Toronto, Canada

#14 Apr 4, 2011
i too got nacrotizing fasciitis in the hospital McMaster University Hospital in hamilton ontario canada in May 2007. i knew something was wrong as soon as i woke in the recovery room (hystorectomy) and because i have a history of anxiety when i told them that something was wrong and i was in too much pain the only response i get was "do you want something for your anxiety?" no one beleived me even with a high fever, redness swelling and tachycardia! needless to say i ended up in ICU and they had to cut out a 42cm hole out of my stomache and i was on life support for 4 days! and even when i was able to go home i was not allowed to book a F/U with the surgeon. no one wanted to see me. I had to get a hold of the head of gynecology to arrange a meeting and only then they agreed to see me 18months later just to say we cannot help me.It has now been 4 years and i am still in pain daily by simple things such as waistband too high,full bladder,over eating,intercourse,walking to fast, pretty much everything! causes pain, swelling and muscle spasms. im thinking this is going to be the way i will have to live the rest of my life! i do wish i could have sued the hospital
Sarah

Poole, UK

#15 May 18, 2011
I very nearly died of this flesh eating disease about 4 weeks ago. I was given an elective C section whilst having a sore throat and 3 days later was rushed into hospital and had to fight for my life. I had several operations and all my organs started to fail and my family were told I was going to die. Its a minor miracle I am alive however I am very disfigured and I intend to sue the arse off the hospital for giving me a C Section when I had a throat infection. But after reading the above posts I am being to feel a bit disheartened... perhaps I dont stand a chance?
jacky

Smyrna, GA

#16 Jul 16, 2011
i was infected with this disease at the age of 19 giving birth to twins in 2007 during a c section, had i waited another day before going to the hospital i would had died. i was put through many surgeries and had to be resuscitated about four times i was unable to graduate from high school because i spent my last three months in the hospital it really makes me sad how i have to deal with a deformed stomach and not being able to have any more children. I'm now 23 but it hurts that no one could do anything about this situation. I'm proud to be alive but where is the justice!

Since: Nov 11

United States

#17 Nov 9, 2011
Just located this thread and wanted to ask for advice.My husband went into shock in August of this yr due to Necrotizing Fasciitis (he has diabetes,which caused it in part) and he lost his entire left buttock,and a chunk of his left hip-afer 5 surgeries he still has a large open wound and walks with a cane.His diabetes is bad,which impairs healing.He has applied for SSDI because he is a truck driver by trade and can no longer work.He may be able to eventually do something else but not for a long time.Has anyone else reading had to deal with SSI for this condition?We are running out of money fast and getting worried.
Elizabeth

Poughkeepsie, NY

#18 Feb 13, 2012
jacky wrote:
i was infected with this disease at the age of 19 giving birth to twins in 2007 during a c section, had i waited another day before going to the hospital i would had died. i was put through many surgeries and had to be resuscitated about four times i was unable to graduate from high school because i spent my last three months in the hospital it really makes me sad how i have to deal with a deformed stomach and not being able to have any more children. I'm now 23 but it hurts that no one could do anything about this situation. I'm proud to be alive but where is the justice!
I know your sadness. I also developed necrotising facitis after a c-secation. Spent the first month of my daughters life seperated from her, in the ICU unit and nearly lost my life. I am fine now...9 surgeries later. However I will never be able to carry another child....It makes me so sad as I always wanted a large family. I am curently persuing a lawsuit so that I can have the children I am truly feel entilteled to via surrogacy. In my situation the doctors and hospitals obvious negligence cost me something dearly and I will be damned if I don't at least try to fight to make it right.
Sharon

Roseau, Dominica

#19 Apr 14, 2014
I contracted NF from a hospital after giving birth to my son. It was a terrible moment. It is harder for new moms who have to go through this type of illness. I was told that I was the only known survivor in the hospital. It felt like my case was treated as an experiment. I was administered so many medications, did 4 surgeries and numerous therapy sessions. The wound was 26 centimeters wide and 9 centimeters wide and about 6 inches deep.

Praise the Almighty Jesus Christ that I was able to survive this ordeal. I contracted the infection from the hospital, though it has been brought to my attention that the medical team is trying to figure out the source, but my knowledge, I was told that the hospital is still conducting research into my case. I have a huge scare on my lower abdomen presently. Someone should be help responsible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delaware Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Safe is the downtown area in Wilmington, DE? (Jun '07) 37 min Rob Foraker 67
lottery is fixed and they are robbing the peopl... (Aug '06) Jul 12 Cathy 668
Miss Delaware on Seeking Arrangements (May '16) Jul 5 Cfpeter 2
Where have the honest people gone? Mar '17 Whosonfirst 1
News Democrats Delight in Delaware Special Election Mar '17 Marcavage s Emission 2
dads of delaware the fight for fathers rights. (Jul '08) Feb '17 Mizrain 60
I wanted to Report Bad contractor (Oct '10) Feb '17 ted vines 29
More from around the web