Occupy Delaware Leaves Spencer Plaza

Aug 6, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: 92.9 WDSD

The last tent is down as Occupy Delaware ends its nine-month encampment at Wilmington's Spencer Plaza.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2012

Judged:

I cannot praise Occupy Delaware and the hundreds of other Occupy Wall Street camps that sprung up across our country in nearly every city or town highly enough for their commendable efforts. The citizen-participants of Occupy Delaware ought to be proud of their collective accomplishments in raising public awareness that big, corporate capitalism is not always compatible with democracy or the limited general welfare goals and quality of life objectives of our American mixed -Main Street , market-economy social system .Occupy Delaware has brought a renewed faith to individual Americans in the power of their vote and making our elected representatives aware of our community concerns about environmental issues, large banking and mortgage-lending chicanery ,etc. If our elected representatives don't hear from us then they'll assume al
l is well or listen more to the louder, more
powerful and wealthy influential corporate interests who pay heavily for their greater access to government ---we can all make a difference in improving our society by acting collectively as consumers, and providers of the wealth and happiness we share.
I noticed that the Mayor's office and city government have authorized an urban renewal improvement project for Peter Spencer Plaza(the reason given for Occupy Delaware 's "eviction"--a small start to bring money back to the city and improve the lives of the people living and working there. OccupyDelaware has shown us that we can make a difference by moving our money from large, dislocated multi-national banks with few local, community interests or geographical, cultural roots to our local, community -oriented banks with larger stakes in improving our towns and countryside. We can also make a difference by our collective powers as purchasers of commodities that businesses want to sell us --from Walmart to Home Depot or McDonald's . Let's Stay Together, Occupy Delaware , we've only just begun.
Bill

Topeka, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

The plans for Spencer Plaza were in the works for years. The city wanted the protestors gone so they started the project early and justified eviction because of safety concerns. The Occupy Movement has failed as it did not bring about change in which only change can occur... Violence against the banks and political systems. Better luck with the next movement.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Delaware Discussions

Search the Delaware Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
lottery is fixed and they are robbing the peopl... (Aug '06) Tue Lotto Buster 511
Necrotizing Fasciitis (Feb '06) Mon Sharon 19
How Safe is the downtown area in Wilmington, DE? (Jun '07) Mar 26 5th dwnbttmgang 61
New Place for BBW's and their admirers (May '07) Mar 16 Sara 15
Water clean-up plan's tax begins to draw fire, ... Mar '14 Chiefbuck 1
dads of delaware the fight for fathers rights. (Jul '08) Feb '14 cesar 52
Governor's gas tax proposal off base Feb '14 Chiefbuck 1
•••
•••
•••
•••