No plans to expand Delaware cellphone...

No plans to expand Delaware cellphone ban

Posted in the Delaware Forum

“Old 16th Graveyard hole”

Since: Nov 11

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Dec 16, 2011
The law in DE is that all phone use is to be hands free, that's easy to do with bluetooth and a few other simple devices, but like the lady in this story, I see it all the time. You can always tell when driving on these back roads who is talking on the phone, their speed slows way down then picks up then slows way down again. It's annoying to be behind that driver and a little scary because you know they are either talking, dialing or texting, none of which make a safe driver. That said, I wonder if the law is ever inforced unless it's part of an accident. Common senses should kick in but with many it just doesn't until they hit that pole or another car.

http://www.topix.com/state/de/2011/12/no-plan...

“Let's Have a Good Discussion!”

Since: May 08

DNFTT

#2 Dec 16, 2011
JustPinkandGreen wrote:
The law in DE is that all phone use is to be hands free, that's easy to do with bluetooth and a few other simple devices, but like the lady in this story, I see it all the time. You can always tell when driving on these back roads who is talking on the phone, their speed slows way down then picks up then slows way down again. It's annoying to be behind that driver and a little scary because you know they are either talking, dialing or texting, none of which make a safe driver. That said, I wonder if the law is ever inforced unless it's part of an accident. Common senses should kick in but with many it just doesn't until they hit that pole or another car.
http://www.topix.com/state/de/2011/12/no-plan...
I see people blatantly driving while speaking on a non-hands-free phones all the time. The other day, one almost hit me while I was walking in a parking lot. The guy was backing out of his spot while immersed in some call and hardly paying a bit of attention to anything else. After a close call, I pointed out that he shouldn't be on the phone and HE rudely told me to mind my own business!

I also see people clearly focused on laptops and other devices set in the passenger seat. As you say, the first alerts come from the driving pattern anomalies an attentive driver notices which are confirmed as you see more as you pass or pull along side at a light.

Studies and common sense tell us that the level of distraction while speaking on a phone (whether hands-free or not) is much more dangerous than conversations with those present in the car who are aware of the nuances of the driving conditions and the driver's need to focus elsewhere. However, the incessant retort is that one would have to make all activities in the car illegal to be consistent, which is a superficial and uninformed opinion, imo.

Nevertheless, I predict nuttin' will be done because too many people are addicted to the habit and will choose to deny the dangers.

It's also clear to me that the existing laws are not enforced so any new laws would be pointless window dressing anyway-- as with Markel's ridiculous proposal to require doctors to take classes on prescribing drugs-- those involved in dangerous malpractice already know what they're doing and the problem could and should be dealt with under existing authority-- IF we had competent officials. Unfortunately, our pols and officials often prefer to make empty gestures to deflect attention and grandstand instead of knuckling down and doing their jobs with diligence.

“Santa's Coming!”

Centreville, DE

#3 Dec 16, 2011
I agree GS - what phone conversation is so necessary that it can't wait until you are parked or home or at work? I have to wonder as I see so many walking down the street chatting away on a phone, who the heck has so many contacts that they have to be on the phone all the time? LOL - I don't know of anyone who I'd want to chat to as I walked to the store or grocery shopped.

;) Me!

“Come Home America!”

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#4 Dec 16, 2011
@Get Serious, "Nevertheless, I predict nuttin' will be done because too many people are addicted to the habit and will choose to deny the dangers. " I doubt that you know much about the advancements in GPS location -awareness technology . The has been incredible technological breakthroughs in GPS positioning , smartphone apps, and even autonomous cars and robotics that control the driving will make conventional attentive driving and road hassles a thing of the past.'The New York Times reported in October 2010 that “[Google’s] test cars have driven 1,000 miles without human intervention and more than 140,000 miles with only occasional human control,” with only one accident, caused by another driver. Although most technology forecasters agree that commercial availability is still many years away, Google has already begun lobbying for its legalization. Meanwhile, the idea has begun to gain some popular traction, particularly on the grounds of the potential gains in efficiency and safety, with economist Tyler Cowen recently advocating it in the Times.

Given the decline of the human driver, robotic driving, once we are sure of its reliability, seems to be the natural next step.'

"Unfortunately, our pols and officials often prefer to make empty gestures to deflect attention and grandstand instead of knuckling down and doing their jobs with diligence. " I clearly see your point here with the empty gestures , defeatism, and obstruction by many Republicans who argue that America can no longer compete with other countries on the cutting edge of new technologies and block meaningful legislation merely based on their personal prejudices and dislike of the democrat who proposed it.

Wilmington

#5 Dec 16, 2011
{Studies and common sense tell us that the level of distraction while speaking on a phone (whether hands-free or not) is much more dangerous than conversations with those present in the car who are aware of the nuances of the driving conditions and the driver's need to focus elsewhere.}
I always found that concept weird, but I do understand it. For some reason people get totally absorbed in a phone conversation. Some of it is training too. I spent decades using a radio and then phones too when they came about in vehicles and equipment without any issues, but I don't have long drawn out conversations either. I've used as blue tooth in the car, but I need to pay attention to driving first. I see the same as you guys, people fooling w/laptops, texting, talking and don't have a CLUE what is happening around them, ZERO situational awareness, and that's where the problems begin.
One thing no one can do, and that is legislate common sense. More laws on top of laws mean nothing if people ignore common sense, they will ignore the law too.

“Santa's Coming!”

Centreville, DE

#6 Dec 16, 2011
Exit, you are so right, some have common sense and some just don't. I have a phone and the bluetooth available in my car and I like having it for an emergency. I have never driven and had a long conversation ever, at the most it was a short, very short, hands free call to say I was running late. End of conversation. I can even see people wanting to talk on the phone but texting is just so stupid. How many teens are we going to have to read about dying in an accident only to find that the last thing they were doing was sending a text message!

DNFTT

#7 Dec 16, 2011
exitde wrote:
{Studies and common sense tell us that the level of distraction while speaking on a phone (whether hands-free or not) is much more dangerous than conversations with those present in the car who are aware of the nuances of the driving conditions and the driver's need to focus elsewhere.}
I always found that concept weird, but I do understand it. For some reason people get totally absorbed in a phone conversation. Some of it is training too. I spent decades using a radio and then phones too when they came about in vehicles and equipment without any issues, but I don't have long drawn out conversations either. I've used as blue tooth in the car, but I need to pay attention to driving first. I see the same as you guys, people fooling w/laptops, texting, talking and don't have a CLUE what is happening around them, ZERO situational awareness, and that's where the problems begin.
One thing no one can do, and that is legislate common sense. More laws on top of laws mean nothing if people ignore common sense, they will ignore the law too.
I can maybe offer another example of how it may not seem logical that wireless conversations can't be equated to live conversations-- but they are qualitatively very different.

Have ya noticed that when people walk around having remote conversations via bluetooth or whatever that it's ALWAYS unnaturally loud and annoying? I just heard an etiquette expert say that those disruptive and impossible-to-ignore personal impositions in public places are among the most hated new-age problems with people not respecting everyone's right to be free from aggravation.

Chickamauga, GA

#8 Dec 16, 2011
The tragedy behind the issue with all these distractions is that innocent people are killed or seriously injured because of the carelessness or disregard of others. When such tragedies happen, clueless people like to label them as "accidents". It is not an accident when anyone gets into a car drunk or uses a cellphone or does anything else that distracts them from their responsibilities as a driver. Penalties need to be tougher when people kill other people. And when they kill themselves through their lack of responsibility, we have to stop calling them "accidents".

DNFTT

#9 Dec 16, 2011
TrueBlueHen wrote:
The tragedy behind the issue with all these distractions is that innocent people are killed or seriously injured because of the carelessness or disregard of others. When such tragedies happen, clueless people like to label them as "accidents". It is not an accident when anyone gets into a car drunk or uses a cellphone or does anything else that distracts them from their responsibilities as a driver. Penalties need to be tougher when people kill other people. And when they kill themselves through their lack of responsibility, we have to stop calling them "accidents".
I agree! I often remark when I see some dangerous idiot that I don't care that they're obviously risking their own destruction, I care that those jerks almost invariably take innocent people with them. I think the road patrols should always focus on dangerous and aggressive driving as a priority, not just as part of occasional crack-downs.

“Santa's Coming!”

Centreville, DE

#10 Dec 16, 2011
True Blue Hen, I have seen this many times as I drive up and down I-95. In many places we are doing close to 80 MPH and I've seen kids looking down and drifting into other lanes and we all know they are either dialing or more likely texting. I don't want them dead, but I don't want me dead even more!

Me!

Wilmington

#11 Dec 16, 2011
Get Serious wrote:
<quoted text>
I can maybe offer another example of how it may not seem logical that wireless conversations can't be equated to live conversations-- but they are qualitatively very different.
Have ya noticed that when people walk around having remote conversations via bluetooth or whatever that it's ALWAYS unnaturally loud and annoying? I just heard an etiquette expert say that those disruptive and impossible-to-ignore personal impositions in public places are among the most hated new-age problems with people not respecting everyone's right to be free from aggravation.
Yes I have, and they are rude and annoying. No one cares what their business is, no one wants to hear it. I see it a lot in stores, people standing in line having a conversation, or worse yet, they are beyond rude to who ever tries to speak to them, like the cashier, they act like they are put out because the person has to ask them something to finalize the transaction. I know at that point where I'd like to put their blue tooth.

Wilmington

#12 Dec 16, 2011
TrueBlueHen wrote:
I agree, they are not accidents, they could have been prevented. Driving is difficult enough on crowded roads, or even side roads without additional distraction. Like I had said, I had to use a radio and phone in vehicles for years but it makes it more difficult to concentrate and I keep the conversation very short and to the point.

“Santa's Coming!”

Centreville, DE

#13 Dec 16, 2011
Exit and Serious, I was in Borders once and some guy was talking on his phone, as as GS said, the coversation was really loud. He was annoying everyone plus what he was talking about was pretty private stuff. One guy just walked up to him and stood there staring at him, the small group around both of them sort of just stood and looked on, finally the talker came back to reality and noticed the man standing right in front of him and all the other people who were looking at him. He left the store. It was a strange event, one I'd never seen before and have never seen since. It was strange and funny at the same time.

;) Me!

Wilmington

#14 Dec 16, 2011
Golden Horseshoe wrote:
Exit and Serious, I was in Borders once and some guy was talking on his phone, as as GS said, the coversation was really loud. He was annoying everyone plus what he was talking about was pretty private stuff. One guy just walked up to him and stood there staring at him, the small group around both of them sort of just stood and looked on, finally the talker came back to reality and noticed the man standing right in front of him and all the other people who were looking at him. He left the store. It was a strange event, one I'd never seen before and have never seen since. It was strange and funny at the same time.
;) Me!
HA! I'll have remember that one, that's great!:)
How embarrassed was that guy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delaware Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lottery is fixed and they are robbing the peopl... (Aug '06) Aug 26 theo thode 618
GD Designs Rochdale (26) Aug 25 august005 1
dads of delaware the fight for fathers rights. (Jul '08) Jun '16 Alvin jones 55
Miss Delaware on Seeking Arrangements May '16 Truth 1
New Place for BBW's and their admirers (May '07) May '16 LilyFleur 17
read trump cry Apr '16 trump is a loser 1
Stop a Real Problem, Discrimination Against Mid... Apr '16 Seniors Medicare ... 1
More from around the web