Smoking cessation efforts hailed

Smoking cessation efforts hailed

There are 6 comments on the Delaware Online story from Dec 9, 2011, titled Smoking cessation efforts hailed. In it, Delaware Online reports that:

She tried hypnosis. She tried a program at work aimed at helping people quit. But Donna McMackin, 62, of Brandywine Hundred, went back to cigarettes each time.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Delaware Online.

“Santa's Coming!”

Since: Nov 11

Centreville, DE

#1 Dec 9, 2011
It's good to see these stories, I know how hard it is to quit smoking, it's been compared to hard drugs as far as addiction goes. Good for this woman and anyone else who takes part in the program and quits. I haven't had a cigerette in well over 30 years, have never missed it and have never wanted one since I quit. It's sad to see the huddled people, in the freezing cold, standing away from the doors of offices just to have a cigarette. That alone would have had me quit. No one needs anything that bad. Good luck to all who try, you really will be better for it. If the smokers could somehow SMELL how they smell, they would quit yesterday.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#2 Dec 9, 2011
"There was a study at Penn State that did show that when you put money into helping smokers quit, you certainly get an economic return," she said. "Employees are in better health, they work more and you have more productive citizens in the business workforce."

Always timely news for the current crop of denialists.

“Santa's Coming!”

Centreville, DE

#3 Dec 9, 2011
Hugh Jass wrote:
"There was a study at Penn State that did show that when you put money into helping smokers quit, you certainly get an economic return," she said. "Employees are in better health, they work more and you have more productive citizens in the business workforce."
Always timely news for the current crop of denialists.
Yes the results are worth the trouble. I have to laugh at how much I spend on perfume to only have people who smoke not be able to smell it! Question, really from Nashville? I was born in Chattanooga!
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#4 Dec 9, 2011
PNGreen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the results are worth the trouble. I have to laugh at how much I spend on perfume to only have people who smoke not be able to smell it! Question, really from Nashville? I was born in Chattanooga!
In, but not from. A bit boggled by the way TN goes about regulating smoking. If Nashville (or Chattanooga come to that) has an issue with tobacco use, the state Legislature's agriculture committees have to be persuaded to persuade the rest of the houses to act.

“Santa's Coming!”

Centreville, DE

#5 Dec 9, 2011
Interesting, I'm in DE and we have been smokefree inside any building forever. The funny thing was that the restaurants thought that they would lose business and the opposite happened. Eating in a smoke free environment is soooo much better than having to wade through the smoking section to get to the non-smoking section. I always wondered about that. Nice to meet you.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

#6 Dec 9, 2011
Tennessee now allows establishments to be either smoking or smoke-free IF they never, ever, let minors past the front door. Otherwise, they are pretty much required to be smoke-free (apart from the blockade around the door and what the smokers bring back in with them).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delaware Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Delaware gears up for primaries Apr '16 Democrats-VOTE FO... 1
News State Senate votes to reform autism program ser... Apr '16 Sheri Jane 1
News In Delaware, agriculture still a big farming deal (Jun '14) Jun '14 First 1
News Governor's gas tax proposal off base (Feb '14) Feb '14 Chiefbuck 1
News Big F&#x27;ing Deal: Delaware Has Spent $4... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Chiefbuck 1
News Delaware&#x92;s &#x93;Future Weather&... (Jul '13) Jul '13 LessHypeMoreFact 2
News Markell: Biden for President (May '13) Jun '13 neutral observer 5
More from around the web