Walmart; The High Cost of Low Price

Walmart; The High Cost of Low Price

There are 52 comments on the www.topix.com story from Jan 26, 2011, titled Walmart; The High Cost of Low Price. In it, www.topix.com reports that:

A screening and discussion showing why many DC residents are concerned about Walmart's efforts to open big box stores in the District of Columbia.

Walmart has plans to establish four stores in DC by 2012. Notorious for threatening small businesses, causing the loss of more jobs, and bringing lower wage standards for all workers to communities, concerned District of Columbia citizens and social justice advocates are coming together to spread the news and resist the potentially disastrous implications for the District.

click onto the source link above for more info ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.topix.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Exposing Hypocrites 1 by 1”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1 Jan 27, 2011
Hey, we've got to keep our American owned Chinese companies going!
red dawn

Baytown, TX

#2 Jan 27, 2011
the president of the walmart corporation once said---- I DO NOT CARE IF I EVER SELL A AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT AGAIN. there is much more profit selling chinese made goods. since the day that fine american made that comment I have never been in a CHINAMART. walmart IS china's biggest customer in AMERICA.
red dawn

Baytown, TX

#3 Jan 27, 2011
keep on buying those Chinese goods, they are spending the money building a army to kick Americas butt with it. keep on financing this country's downfall, the Chinese appreciate your contributions.

Texian

“One Nation, under God”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#4 Jan 27, 2011
red dawn wrote:
the president of the walmart corporation once said---- I DO NOT CARE IF I EVER SELL A AMERICAN MADE PRODUCT AGAIN. there is much more profit selling chinese made goods. since the day that fine american made that comment I have never been in a CHINAMART. walmart IS china's biggest customer in AMERICA.
here is a little printed backup to your statement, even though I could not find that quote, their activities there say it all ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/business/28...

http://www.chinaretailnews.com/...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,221500,00...

“Exposing Hypocrites 1 by 1”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#5 Jan 27, 2011
American companies invest in China. G.M sold more cars in China than the U.S. for the first time.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/20/news/internat...

But wait, if we don't we might miss the boat and "really hurt the American economy"

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article182.html

Why does every story have another side? Why aren't things as one dimensional as "some" would like.
It's called reality!

Texian

“One Nation, under God”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#6 Jan 27, 2011
Man from Crockett wrote:
American companies invest in China. G.M sold more cars in China than the U.S. for the first time.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/20/news/internat...
But wait, if we don't we might miss the boat and "really hurt the American economy"
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article182.html
Why does every story have another side? Why aren't things as one dimensional as "some" would like.
It's called reality!
Everything has a "light and dark" side, just like our planet's "day and night" times. the problem lies with those who only want to see or hear ONLY one or the other and not bother with having to debate .. that requires time, energy and God forbid ... some THOUGHT. At least those have been my observations over most of the last 50 years.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#7 Jan 27, 2011
Bunny likes Walmart.
Folsom Prison Blues

Downey, CA

#8 Jan 27, 2011
Ask any small business owner in ANY town Walmart Enters.. To the Mom & Pop Operation it is Death.

“Exposing Hypocrites 1 by 1”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#9 Jan 27, 2011
Due to the fact....everyone shops there. If people don't want WalMart then they shouldn't shop at them.

But I still laugh when I think the largest retailer in America is the one that offers the least service. But they have a great return policy. I guess that and low prices and we'll sell our souls!

“Exposing Hypocrites 1 by 1”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#10 Jan 27, 2011
Bunny says wrote:
Bunny likes Walmart.
Let me guess, the womens section? I know they don't carry vibrators, Though they do carry some great Skynrd albums!
red dawn

Baytown, TX

#11 Jan 27, 2011
MFC so you are pissed because walmart did not have a vibrator in your favorite size. extra extra extra large, runs on diesel and has electric start.
Bunny says

Crockett, TX

#12 Jan 28, 2011
I knew he was bent that way.
red dawn

Baytown, TX

#13 Jan 28, 2011
YES captain screw worm is trained to bend over and grab his ankles
joey

Clovis, NM

#14 Jan 29, 2011
Folsom Prison Blues wrote:
Ask any small business owner in ANY town Walmart Enters.. To the Mom & Pop Operation it is Death.
Let the Mom and pops stores compete with the prices. I love walmart, they employ lots of workers. I can but what I need and cost is much less.
lady bug

Mountain Home, AR

#15 Jan 29, 2011
Nine years ago the small town where we live voted against walmart
coming into town because of mom and pop business not being able to
compete, so walmart built in the next town over. Now we all drive
to the next town and spend our money. There were 9 mom and pop's
on the square when we moved here now there's two, my point being
we are going to drive the extra miles to walmart and give the other
town the money that should have been here because the mom and pop's
closed down anyway. The town now wants at least a walmart express
store but they are not interested in our town anymore, said the
stores would be to close together. I know the horror stories about
walmart but hey I shop where I can afford to shop.
What Is A Low Keel

Spring, TX

#16 Jan 29, 2011
In every state where such records are kept, among employed people on state healthchare programs for poor adults and children, Wal Mart employees are the largest group.

“Exposing Hypocrites 1 by 1”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#17 Jan 29, 2011
Which is part of the reason they have the cheapest goods....which we all seem to like.

Hey, I admire people that admit to shopping there. It's the ones that bash Walmart at every corner and buy everything they can at the store.

I have a Hell of a time trying to tell my wife why buying at H.E.B. in Crockett is important...she can't see past the cheap goods of Walmart. Sometimes she can't see the difference in quality or more importantly, the value of competition.
Beemer

Dahlonega, GA

#19 Jan 29, 2011
Man from Crockett wrote:
Which is part of the reason they have the cheapest goods....which we all seem to like.
Hey, I admire people that admit to shopping there. It's the ones that bash Walmart at every corner and buy everything they can at the store.
I have a Hell of a time trying to tell my wife why buying at H.E.B. in Crockett is important...she can't see past the cheap goods of Walmart. Sometimes she can't see the difference in quality or more importantly, the value of competition.
There are some items at HEB that I like so much that I will make a trip just to purchase those particular things there. If I end up going to Walmart it's strictly because of convenience - I know I can get hardware, fertilizer, tennis shoes and groceries all in the same place. I make a trip to town once a week to run errands - if I'm in a hurry, I have to admit, I'm likely to end up at Wally's.

“Exposing Hypocrites 1 by 1”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#20 Jan 29, 2011
Beemer wrote:
<quoted text>There are some items at HEB that I like so much that I will make a trip just to purchase those particular things there. If I end up going to Walmart it's strictly because of convenience - I know I can get hardware, fertilizer, tennis shoes and groceries all in the same place. I make a trip to town once a week to run errands - if I'm in a hurry, I have to admit, I'm likely to end up at Wally's.
I know, we're all guilty of it to a degree...lol

Still, I try and spread the wealth. Wally worlds veggies suck. They never have things the wife runs in for...and the help is the pits!

Then again.....the others don't exactly send chills up the spine!

Since: Nov 10

D.C.

#21 Jan 29, 2011
Selection still has to beat Sainsbury's in England or Lidl or Aldi in Germany the last couple of times I was sent there. Selection at Finest in Kabul sucks even worse.

At least here we get more than 5 or 6 different types of soda on a soda aisle.

Hate it when stores try to be an all-in-one like Wally World, but ares smashed into the size of an Alco, and failing at both the grocery and department store parts of the puzzle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington DC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can Trump pardon anyone? Himself? Can he fire M... 18 hr KnutesNiche 219
News Christian Conservative Group To Fight 'Ex-Gay' ... Sun Esiey 16
its time now for rep party and democrats work t... Aug 19 work as a team 1
organ harvesting in china Aug 17 COCO4U 1
Russian sanction biting Putin in the butt Aug 9 Supremeliberal 1
George Stef-a-Loppy-Ass Aug 6 I Love America 1
subject on the white house leaks ,little dude Aug 5 born in usa free... 1
More from around the web