Senate introduces No Child Left Behind successor

Jun 4, 2013 Full story: Athens Banner-Herald 9

In this March 22, 2013 file photo, Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa speaks to reporters on Capitol Hill in Washington.

Full Story
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#1 Jun 4, 2013
I am glad I am not in education, this state by state no child left behind standard vs national no child left behind standards.

What, does math work different in different states? Is 2+2 going to equal 4 in New York but 3 in Mississippi.

If you can't pass your state is a failure and your kids are failures. That is the only way people will improve.
Sheik Yerbouti

Doylestown, PA

#2 Jun 4, 2013
Tests have destroyed education in the US. Instead of teaching the fundamentals of western civilization and critical thinking most teachers are forced to teach to the test leaving American students behind their counterparts in other countries.

“Open your eyes”

Since: Sep 09

Central Florida

#3 Jun 4, 2013
George Carlin said it best.

They do not want critical thinkers. They want obedient workers. Just smart enough to run the machines and handle the paperwork. But no smart enough to handle critical tasks.

And what is government education standards? Just smart enough to work the machines but void of critical thought.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#4 Jun 4, 2013
No child's behind left. I remember how that is working out.
Bob Lewis

AOL

#5 Jun 4, 2013
Obama says that his Teachers Union backers must be defended at the expense of America's children and we elected Obama. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#6 Jun 4, 2013
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Tests have destroyed education in the US. Instead of teaching the fundamentals of western civilization and critical thinking most teachers are forced to teach to the test leaving American students behind their counterparts in other countries.
Pardon me, friend., but I disagree.
Yes. You are right in saying teachers teach to the test. Too many of them! But they are not forced to do that is.
Teachers like to portray themselves as professionals. Professionals know how to do their jobs. They know how to move their profession forward. Teachers, by and large, agree that teaching to the test is the wrong thing to do. Yet they do it anyway. Does it occur to you, as it does to me, that teachers today are not professionals. They are, in fact, union employees. They are no different from UAW except they have Cabinet member status.

The teaching "profession" is a myth. Teachers don't care about your kids or even about teaching! They only care about themselves.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#8 Jun 5, 2013
As long as the teachers union is happy, that is what is important here.
Papillon

Sacramento, CA

#9 Jun 5, 2013
This means put every illegal Mexican, muslim, and ghetto brat of welfare from cradle to grave, generation after generation.
This is politically correct, according to democRATS.

We need to convert to SOCIAL CORRECTNESS !
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#10 Jun 5, 2013
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Testing should be done by 3rd parties who have nothing to do with the school. Use the SAT test for college and print the score on the diploma. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington DC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rooftop solar energy will reach or exceed grid ... 8 hr Sneaky Pete 2
Chris Brown Pleads Guilty to Assault in D.C. Fight Sep 4 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
7 Surprising Ways Your Company Can Still Discri... Aug 31 Belle Sexton 11
Global Warming Alarmist Sues Think Tank for Dis... Aug '14 litesong 5
Ohio ranks near bottom on long-term care Aug '14 lizzybowen 2
Report Exposes Deceptions by the Religious Right Jul '14 DNF 72
'Times' pro-marijuana editorial pushes legaliza... Jul '14 common sense 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••