RI to become 10th state allowing gay marriage

There are 17 comments on the SanLuisObispo.com story from May 2, 2013, titled RI to become 10th state allowing gay marriage. In it, SanLuisObispo.com reports that:

Gov. Lincoln Chafee plans to sign gay marriage legislation into law Thursday following a final procedural vote in the state's General Assembly.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at SanLuisObispo.com.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 May 2, 2013
And Delaware is about to become the 11th!
Sgt Common Sense

Denver, CO

#2 May 2, 2013
The dominos are falling faster! Soon, all 50!
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#3 May 2, 2013
Not 50, Sgt Nonsense.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 May 2, 2013
HOMOSEXUALIZING AMERICA STATE BY STATE !

The PLAN is working !

:)

(with apologies to felon Pete McGowan).
Gays Run the World

Alpharetta, GA

#5 May 2, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
HOMOSEXUALIZING AMERICA STATE BY STATE !
The PLAN is working !
:)
(with apologies to felon Pete McGowan).
Gays rule!
Sgt Common Sense

Denver, CO

#6 May 2, 2013
Far Away wrote:
Not 50, Sgt Nonsense.
Yes my friend, even Alaske will have marriage equality for same sex couples. There's no way to stop it.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#7 May 2, 2013
Well, Sgt Nonsense, you should put down the blunt. This is the Alaska Constitution:

Article 1, Sec. 25 - To be valid or recognized in this State, a marriage may exist only between one man and one woman.[Amended 1998]

This has not been successfully challenged in either the State or Federal courts, no any appellate jurisdiction.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#8 May 2, 2013
Far Away wrote:
Well, Sgt Nonsense, you should put down the blunt. This is the Alaska Constitution:
Article 1, Sec. 25 - To be valid or recognized in this State, a marriage may exist only between one man and one woman.[Amended 1998]
This has not been successfully challenged in either the State or Federal courts, no any appellate jurisdiction.
YET!
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#9 May 2, 2013
Well, Imp, that amendment was a ballot measure that garnered nearly 70% of the popular vote, so it'll be a good long time, if ever.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#10 May 2, 2013
Far Away wrote:
Well, Imp, that amendment was a ballot measure that garnered nearly 70% of the popular vote, so it'll be a good long time, if ever.
I doubt that. It may be ruled a violation of the U.S. Constitution's 14th Amendment in the very near future. Just because a state's constitutional amendment has broad backing, does not mean that it comports with the U.S. Constitution's protections of Liberty.

Remember that in 1992, Colorado voters passed "Amendment 2". That amendment to the Colorado constitution prevented any city, town, or county in the state from taking any legislative, executive, or judicial action to recognize gay and lesbian individuals as a protected class.

Only 4 years later, in the famous Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620 (1996) case, SCOTUS ruled Colorado's Amendment 2 as being in direct conflict with the U.S. Constitution's provisions, and hence ruled it was unconstitutional.

And that was only 4 years later.

We live in a constitutional republic with federalism, NOT a democracy.
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#11 May 2, 2013
The year was 1998 and counting, F-F. My math tells me that's more than four years.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#12 May 2, 2013
Far Away wrote:
The year was 1998 and counting, F-F. My math tells me that's more than four years.
WHAT year was 1998 ???

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#13 May 2, 2013
With Rhode Island (population somewhere between 4 and 7) now legalizing equal marriage rights, and probably Maryland and some other states to follow soon, I cannot see SCOTUS issuing any decisions that will buck the trend.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#14 May 2, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
With Rhode Island (population somewhere between 4 and 7) now legalizing equal marriage rights, and probably Maryland and some other states to follow soon, I cannot see SCOTUS issuing any decisions that will buck the trend.
at the risk of sounding like a 'bama football fan...."roll tide" ....but it seems appropriate in this sense as well...LOL

by the end of this decade, we'll see a vastly different horizon when it comes to same sex marriage in these united states.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 May 2, 2013
Far Away wrote:
Even in Alaska the overwhelming majority of those under age 40 support marraige equality.

It's only a matter of time before the anti-gay baby boomer and older generation die off.

But the SCOTUS will likely overturn all the remaining state bans before then.

Either way, it's all 50 states within another decade max.
Sandy LJ Beach

Dallas, TX

#16 May 2, 2013
Way to go RI. You are on the right side of history.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#18 May 3, 2013
Time will tell how good of a thing this is.
I don't see any negative implications to it.
Time will tell. Studies will be made.
I'm sure it will be fine.
Just more potential prospects for divorce lawyers comes to mind off the top of my head.
Perhaps a little less infidelity because of that?
I don't know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Washington DC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News State Dept. plans release of Clinton emails by ... May 22 Teddy 22
News Menendez wants his corruption trial moved to D.C. May 11 OId Sailor 1
News Eugene Robinson: GOP candidates swim against th... May 3 serfs up 12
News Doctor blames discredited autism research for m... May 2 VACCINES MAIM KILL 6
News Uber bill passes Maryland Senate, heads to House Apr '15 joe glazer 2
News Federal rights panel discusses protections for ... Mar '15 Concerned 25
News Obama: White House to expand 'take child to wor... Mar '15 novus ordo seclorum 4
More from around the web