New York, Maryland gay-marriage laws ...

New York, Maryland gay-marriage laws give hope to same-sex couples in Pennsylvania

There are 11 comments on the PennLive.com story from Mar 3, 2012, titled New York, Maryland gay-marriage laws give hope to same-sex couples in Pennsylvania. In it, PennLive.com reports that:

Six states and the District of Columbia recognize gay marriages. The state of Washington also has legalized gay marriage, and its law takes effect in June.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PennLive.com.

Since: Jul 09

Indy/Philly/Toronto

#1 Mar 3, 2012
Pennsylvania spawned Rick Santorum . . . except for Philadelphia County, a very conservative state. You may have a very long wait.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2 Mar 3, 2012
I tend to agree that rural PA is backward, and Pittsburgh is only mildly progressive. On the other hand, the eastern and more populous fifth of the state will be heavily influenced by events in New York and New Jersey.

Note that former Congressman Patrick Murphy from Pennsylvania's eight district introduced the amendment to the NDA that repealed Don't Ask Don't Tell and pushed enthusiastically for its final passage. He was, of course, from a district just west of Philadelphia and lost his re-election bid during the Republican sweep of 2010.

Pennsylvania should not remain out-of-step with the other northeastern states for very long. If the Bible Belt border state of Maryland can do this, Pennsylvania certainly can.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Mar 3, 2012
Pennsylvania will be a long hard uphill battle that must start by replacing a large chunck of the state legislature.
Dave

Windsor, Canada

#4 Mar 3, 2012
Canada/USA falls short of the "In God we trust" of finding Fathers
Mitts Gold Plated Tablets

Media, PA

#5 Mar 3, 2012
Dave wrote:
Yeah, where is yours, you dumb bastard?

Media, PA

#6 Mar 3, 2012
Yeah, NY and MD laws give PA same sex couples in the sense that they don't have to drive all the way to MA or IA to get what in PA would be only a symbolic, out of state marriage....

Media, PA

#7 Mar 3, 2012
Damn.

Yeah, NY and MD laws give PA same sex couples HOPE in the sense that they don't have to drive all the way to MA or IA (to get what in PA would be only a symbolic, out of state marriage....)

Littleton, NH

#8 Mar 3, 2012
Dave wrote:
What did the fathers find? "In God We Trust" wasn't minted until the 1950's.

Littleton, NH

#9 Mar 3, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Pennsylvania will be a long hard uphill battle that must start by replacing a large chunck of the state legislature.
I'll tell you: the women of Pennsylvania aren't real enamored of Republicans right now. The Republican candidate will undoubtedly be chosen before the Pennsylvania primary, but I'm not sure Santorum will carry that state. I'm also not sure Romney will carry Massachusetts next Tuesday.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Mar 4, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll tell you: the women of Pennsylvania aren't real enamored of Republicans right now. The Republican candidate will undoubtedly be chosen before the Pennsylvania primary, but I'm not sure Santorum will carry that state. I'm also not sure Romney will carry Massachusetts next Tuesday.
But will that translate to the state legislators in PA? Without a Dem majority in both state houses, marriage equality is extremely unlikely.

Littleton, NH

#11 Mar 5, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
But will that translate to the state legislators in PA? Without a Dem majority in both state houses, marriage equality is extremely unlikely.
As I recall, Pennsylvania's primary in April will choose candidates for state and local offices, as well as President. I think women are going to be plenty riled going into the booth in six or seven weeks, especially if our accidental strategy of making Republicans talk about women's issues continues to work. I guess it really depends on whether Dems have already recruited strong candidates to run against incumbents. On that, I have no clue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

District of Columbia Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The power and glory of the comma Nov 15 Flintstonegeek 1
News Stressed out by U.S. election? Tune out and ass... Nov 10 Pookie Do 11
News Obama lauds climbing graduation rate but wants ... Oct '16 Synque 24
News 'Hate-Filled' Banana Incidents Sep '16 Chicken George 1
News New Miss America to be crowned Sunday night in ... Sep '16 Not Deplorable 1
News Green-energy mandates are holding back the econ... Jun '16 Solarman 1
News Clinton Refuses to Say Second Amendment Protect... (Jun '16) Jun '16 payme 39
More from around the web