Survey: 1 in 5 drivers should not be ...

Survey: 1 in 5 drivers should not be on the road

There are 18 comments on the KARE-TV Minneapolis story from May 28, 2011, titled Survey: 1 in 5 drivers should not be on the road. In it, KARE-TV Minneapolis reports that:

If you're among those hitting the road for the big Memorial day weekend, here's a suggestion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KARE-TV Minneapolis.

Jack

Chicago, IL

#1 May 28, 2011
One in Five politicians should not be in office.

Corruption and stupidity run rampant. There should be term limits at all levels, from Federal to State to County to City.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#2 May 28, 2011
There have ALWAYS been Term Limits -- exercised by voters at each and every election. I agree that Corruption and Stupidity run rampant -- but that does not mean automatically phasing out those who are truly doing a good job.

Speaking of doing a good job, it seems that it is always the OTHER representatives that need forced retirement -- most think that THEIR representatives are great.

Besides, if voters truly want to send Rep X back for another term -- shouldn't THAT also be their right, regardless of how many terms Rep X has already served?

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#3 May 28, 2011
This thread is actually about the 20% of those who should NOT be driving. I think that number is far too low! As a professional driver, I see countless examples of bad judgement and poor reactions to conditions. Makes me wonder how some folk EVER became licensed -- or did they?

My newest pet peeve: those who make a Right On Red, onto highways, with at-speed traffic approaching far too closely -- requiring avoidance measures by the driver who HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY. Worse, they always seem to deliberately get into the lane of the closest approaching vehicle!

On a warm sunny day this may seem a minor peeve -- but when morons do the same thing in rain/snow/slippery conditions, it is BEGGING for needless collisions!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#4 May 29, 2011
Madaman wrote:
This thread is actually about the 20% of those who should NOT be driving. I think that number is far too low! As a professional driver, I see countless examples of bad judgement and poor reactions to conditions. Makes me wonder how some folk EVER became licensed -- or did they?
My newest pet peeve: those who make a Right On Red, onto highways, with at-speed traffic approaching far too closely -- requiring avoidance measures by the driver who HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY. Worse, they always seem to deliberately get into the lane of the closest approaching vehicle!
On a warm sunny day this may seem a minor peeve -- but when morons do the same thing in rain/snow/slippery conditions, it is BEGGING for needless collisions!
As another professional driver, I agree. I think it is backwards. 1 in 5 are capable drivers.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#5 May 29, 2011
Jack wrote:
One in Five politicians should not be in office.
Corruption and stupidity run rampant. There should be term limits at all levels, from Federal to State to County to City.
if we have term limits, the only professionals in gov't will be the military, the intelligence agencies and the lobbyists. Sound good to you now?

Makes my tin foil hat all itchy-itchy just htinking about it...

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#6 May 29, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>As another professional driver, I agree. I think it is backwards. 1 in 5 are capable drivers.
Maybe the truth of the matter is that 1 in 5 are Good drivers, 2 in 5 are fair-to-poor drivers, and 2 in 5 have no business behind the wheel. I have noticed that age, race, and ethnicity are NOT related factors!

There is just the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#7 May 29, 2011
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the truth of the matter is that 1 in 5 are Good drivers, 2 in 5 are fair-to-poor drivers, and 2 in 5 have no business behind the wheel. I have noticed that age, race, and ethnicity are NOT related factors!
There is just the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!
Seems about right.

Perhaps if every driver had to be drug tested, have a bi-ennial physical and go throught the training CDL drivers do, we would have safer roadways?
Capt Crunch

Tempe, AZ

#8 May 29, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>As another professional driver, I agree. I think it is backwards. 1 in 5 are capable drivers.
A couple of school bus drivers now not only setting themselves up as ' professional' drivers, but also appointing themselves as judges of every other driver on the streets and highways. One could expect this agrandissment fron a professional Pompous Ass, but to be followed by an apparently sensible person boggles the imagination.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#9 May 29, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Seems about right.
Perhaps if every driver had to be drug tested, have a bi-ennial physical and go throught the training CDL drivers do, we would have safer roadways?
That would help a great deal. The additional training would help, the physicals would weed out many elderly, and the drug testing would weed out (no pun intended) those who use drugs to "enhance" their skills. Sadly, it would NOT eliminate those who have the technical knowledge, but slow reaction times or simple bad judgement.

One in five gone would be FABULOUS!

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#10 May 29, 2011
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of school bus drivers now not only setting themselves up as ' professional' drivers, but also appointing themselves as judges of every other driver on the streets and highways. One could expect this agrandissment fron a professional Pompous Ass, but to be followed by an apparently sensible person boggles the imagination.
Go back to peering through your steering wheel and waving your white cane at the sane drivers that you annoy!
Highland Hank

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 29, 2011
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of school bus drivers now not only setting themselves up as ' professional' drivers, but also appointing themselves as judges of every other driver on the streets and highways. One could expect this agrandissment fron a professional Pompous Ass, but to be followed by an apparently sensible person boggles the imagination.
Hahaha, that is hilarious and right on for these arrogant idiots!

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#12 May 30, 2011
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of school bus drivers now not only setting themselves up as ' professional' drivers, but also appointing themselves as judges of every other driver on the streets and highways. One could expect this agrandissment fron a professional Pompous Ass, but to be followed by an apparently sensible person boggles the imagination.
I am not currently licensed to operate a school bus or limosine. I would think a busload of third graders would fall under my Haz-Mat endorsement, but I guess not...

If I'm not hauling heavy equipment through traffic, I'm operating it in traffic. I get to spend all day watching drivers and avoiding them. I know what I see.

Since: Apr 11

Hastings, MN

#13 May 30, 2011
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of school bus drivers now not only setting themselves up as ' professional' drivers, but also appointing themselves as judges of every other driver on the streets and highways. One could expect this agrandissment fron a professional Pompous Ass, but to be followed by an apparently sensible person boggles the imagination.
"Captain" Crunch:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! You belittle the two posters for "appointing themselves as judges", and that's EXACTLY what YOU are doing! YOU sound more like a pompous ass than they do. Who appointed YOU a "Captain"? Yourself? It boggles the imagination.

“Freedom and responsibility”

Since: Dec 10

St. Paul

#14 May 30, 2011
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>if we have term limits, the only professionals in gov't will be the military, the intelligence agencies and the lobbyists. Sound good to you now?
Makes my tin foil hat all itchy-itchy just htinking about it...
Good point. They'll also be in the bureaucracies of every descriptions.
Capt Crunch

Tempe, AZ

#15 May 30, 2011
i-like-cats wrote:
<quoted text>
"Captain" Crunch:
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! You belittle the two posters for "appointing themselves as judges", and that's EXACTLY what YOU are doing! YOU sound more like a pompous ass than they do. Who appointed YOU a "Captain"? Yourself? It boggles the imagination.
I guess a lot depends on how limited your imagination is. Using an old saw like 'kettle calling the pot black' would indicate certain restrictions.
But then, you like cats.

Since: Apr 11

Hastings, MN

#16 May 30, 2011
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess a lot depends on how limited your imagination is. Using an old saw like 'kettle calling the pot black' would indicate certain restrictions.
But then, you like cats.
Capt Crunch-

Wow, you are like one of the strangest people I've come across on chat boards. First of all, how could you possibly know the bounds of my imagination? Obviously, you can't. So you are speaking out of ignorance. Secondly, the "old saw" is "the pot calling the kettle black:, NOT, as you incorrectly write "the kettle calling the pot black". Finally, what's wrong with someone liking cats? Last I checked, there are actually more cat owners in the U.S. than there are dog owners. You, Capt, come off as kind of a "DORK" to me.
Namaste.(Look it up, doofus!)

Since: Apr 11

Hastings, MN

#17 May 30, 2011
Capt Crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess a lot depends on how limited your imagination is. Using an old saw like 'kettle calling the pot black' would indicate certain restrictions.
But then, you like cats.
Capt Crunch, huh? You like Capt. Crunch cereal then, right? You must, your screen name is Capt. Crunch, isn't it? See how stupid it sounds, making an assumption based on something as vague as a screen name? You must be under 35 or so, that's all I can think of. Why else would someone be so foolish on a public comment section? You have a nice day now, sonny.
Capt Crunch

Tempe, AZ

#18 May 30, 2011
i-like-cats wrote:
<quoted text>
Capt Crunch-
Wow, you are like one of the strangest people I've come across on chat boards. First of all, how could you possibly know the bounds of my imagination? Obviously, you can't. So you are speaking out of ignorance. Secondly, the "old saw" is "the pot calling the kettle black:, NOT, as you incorrectly write "the kettle calling the pot black". Finally, what's wrong with someone liking cats? Last I checked, there are actually more cat owners in the U.S. than there are dog owners. You, Capt, come off as kind of a "DORK" to me.
Namaste.(Look it up, doofus!)
Yeah, I guess I am a little strange, in that I am normal, and I don't consider this forum a 'chat board'.
Not only that, I really don't know which takes precedence, pot or kettle, and wouldn't make an issue of it if I did.
Being proud of the fact that I was in the majority because I owned a cat, rather than a dog, would be like being being ecstatic about owning an ant because they are the most numerous insect in the world. Not too imaginative.
I followed your direction and looked up namaste, and found that it had so many definitions that it is useless in ordinary conversation

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

District of Columbia Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Government wants to argue in secret why it does... 18 hr trump lies alot 1
News Trump asks judge to dismiss - emoluments' case ... Sep 30 WasteWater 1
News D.C. Requests Hearing on Protection of Second A... Sep '17 Lou Posey 3
News 15 states sue Trump on rollback of immigrant pr... Sep '17 Crazy Maxine 2
News Christian Conservative Group To Fight 'Ex-Gay' ... Aug '17 Esiey 16
News 19 AGs sue DeVos for delaying for-profit colleg... Jul '17 tina anne 17
News Attorneys general: Restore guidance to aid stud... Apr '17 CodeTalker 2
More from around the web