Statewide Teachers' Union Affiliate Agrees To Concessions In Gu...

In a development that municipal leaders throughout the state have hoped for fervently, an affiliate of the powerful Connecticut Education Association has agreed to wage concessions. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GreekChorus

Higganum, CT

#1 May 26, 2009
Saying that budgets are passing on the first vote means nothing without describing those budgets. My town's budget was zero-increase and it passed 3-1 at referendum on the first vote. This was despite BOE threats to cult all field trips, extra-curriculars, middle school sports, etc. Everyone saw that it was all about funding a 5% raise for the unions and they'd had enough of union greed. Rick Green got it right in a column a few weeks back - the teachers' unions are headed for a public relations disaster this year if they don't back off on raises when others are struggling to hold onto their homes. Looks like the Guilford local was bright enough to figure that out, we'll soon see if any others are.
Waldo 312

Marietta, GA

#2 May 26, 2009
This isn't a giveback. The early retirement offer will more than offset any savings in salaries. Wish I could've retired at 53 years old at 75% of salary , like they will.

“Some dude opines on news!”

Since: Dec 07

East Hartford

#3 May 26, 2009
Kudos to the Guilford Board for recognizing that "concessions" represent a renegotiation of contract terms- thus, the Board must offer something in return for the teachers' agreeing to wage adjustments- i.e., the no-layoff guarantee and the retirement incentive. Many Boards of Education in CT are simply asking for "give-backs," with no offer of negotiation- thus, the low number of locals offering "concessions."
Furthermore, comparisons between Teachers' contracts and those of other municipal employees are inapt, because so many other town employees- police, fire, public works- earn significant overtime wages, an option not available to teachers.
Advocating for wage increases and job security- and expecting that municipalities will honor their contractual agreements cannot be dismissed simply as "greed." Rational self-interest would lead any employee in a similar situation to do the same.
Ahahaha

Wallingford, CT

#4 May 26, 2009
Don't count on other towns giving back....a lot of budgets were already passed (i.e. Tolland) so the teachers know their raises are a sure thing. Must be nice to have no conscience....many others are making concessions but NOT the teachers. Must be great to be above everyone else.
Pantload

Wethersfield, CT

#5 May 26, 2009
The CEA is a thug organization who uses misinformation and intimidation against taxpayers. It has long ago abandoned the "advocating for public education" mantra...it only advocates for teachers and more spending each year to protect the highest teacher pay and benefits package in the U.S. while screwing the taxpayers on an annual basis with their phony messages of care and concern during the legislative session.
Insider

New Haven, CT

#6 May 26, 2009
The administrators and school principals, the lowest paid being 121K a year, gave back 30K in healthcare concessions.

The janitors and paraprofessionals, the lowest paid employees, gave back 40K. The teachers are still getting raises, at 2.5 %.

I get fighting for the no layoff guarantee. But in this day and age, why is it that the lowest paid employees take a bigger hit than the fat cat administrators and let's face it, pretty well compensated teachers. Maybe in Alabama they aren't well compensated...that is not the issue in CT (which, no doubt is the result of a strong union, but come on, in this day and age, something has to give).

Guilford has a long tradition of laying all tax increases at the foot of the homeowners. It's time they practice some fiscal expenditure responsibility. That and bring in some industry to build up the tax base.
Farmington Foibles

Menlo Park, CA

#7 May 26, 2009
Farmington, home to an insatiable school lobby and a School Board that wouldnt dream of saying to the teachers union 'enough is enough' cuz its such an internal matter and impolite can take note as it lays off junior teachers but plans to bringthem all back soon for more. Maybe recruit from Guilford instead ? Common sense is a learned value. Cooking can be learned at home.
huh

AOL

#8 May 26, 2009
Waldo 312 wrote:
This isn't a giveback. The early retirement offer will more than offset any savings in salaries. Wish I could've retired at 53 years old at 75% of salary , like they will.
A Connecticut teacher may retire after 35 years with 70% of their best three years of pay. Waldo's teacher must have taught 37.5 years to get 75% and started their career when they were 15!
dick

United States

#9 May 26, 2009
Ahahaha wrote:
Don't count on other towns giving back....a lot of budgets were already passed (i.e. Tolland) so the teachers know their raises are a sure thing. Must be nice to have no conscience....many others are making concessions but NOT the teachers. Must be great to be above everyone else.
Go back to your fry cooker
Crazy in CT

Springfield, MA

#10 May 26, 2009
Don't kid yourself if you do not think these BOE members come to the table trying to intimidate the teachers union. Everything is give and take, I have yet to hear anything about BOE members offering up any givebacks. Have there been any "leaders" on record saying they will participate in "give backs?" Teachers are well within their right to enforce the rules of their contract; just like most others who are employed.
I am also tired of hearing that teachers pay and benefits is the most expensive line item for towns. How is this different than any business! Your "people" costs are always the most expensive....get it. Unless you propose we go to robots teaching our children...makes a lot of sense. Teachers pay is always at the forefront because it is the biggest easiest target. You are KIDDING yourself is you think these teachers are living the high life. On a day to day basis they are dealing with parents like a lot of these posters. Getting just as much pushback from the "parents" as the teenage students. My Johnny would never do that, can't you just print 4 extra copies of Jimmy's homework, can Sally take that test 4 weeks after it was given, why did you give my child detention for talking back, we will sue you.....Stop the whining and start stepping up and be involved....not just when your "taxes" are at stake...I challenge you all!!!!
John

Guilford, CT

#11 May 26, 2009
The first budget in Guilford failed and many people blamed the lack of concessions by teachers. It's fine to value your "people" by paying them well but, in a time when people with jobs should just be grateful to have those jobs, pay raises are hard for taxpayers to stomach. The union (not exactly unanimously, btw) did the right thing and now we can move forward without compromising on quality programs and class sizes. You can rant and rave about taxes, unions, etc, but this is a success story and Guilford is a smart town.
Yet Again

Hartford, CT

#12 May 26, 2009
Waldo 312 wrote:
You could've if you went to school, took all the certification tests, put up with kids and their attitudes for 30 years. But I guess you didn't. So stop whining.
I wish I made billions like Donald Trump. But I haven't.
Yet Again

Hartford, CT

#13 May 26, 2009
Pantload wrote:
The CEA is a thug organization who uses misinformation and intimidation against taxpayers. It has long ago abandoned the "advocating for public education" mantra...it only advocates for teachers and more spending each year to protect the highest teacher pay and benefits package in the U.S. while screwing the taxpayers on an annual basis with their phony messages of care and concern during the legislative session.
The "highest paid" comment is still an embarrassment to the profession based on other jobs with the same educational requirements..... Must be those high salaries which are causing a teacher shortage every year and a projected enormous shortage in the near future.
Ahahaha

Wallingford, CT

#14 May 26, 2009
dick wrote:
<quoted text>
Impressive comeback.
Yet Again

Hartford, CT

#15 May 26, 2009
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
A Connecticut teacher may retire after 35 years with 70% of their best three years of pay. Waldo's teacher must have taught 37.5 years to get 75% and started their career when they were 15!
And we also receive NO SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS, no tax burden there.
Ahahaha

Wallingford, CT

#16 May 26, 2009
dick wrote:
<quoted text>
They have internet in trailer parks?
Ahahaha

Wallingford, CT

#17 May 26, 2009
Crazy in CT wrote:
Don't kid yourself if you do not think these BOE members come to the table trying to intimidate the teachers union. Everything is give and take, I have yet to hear anything about BOE members offering up any givebacks. Have there been any "leaders" on record saying they will participate in "give backs?" Teachers are well within their right to enforce the rules of their contract; just like most others who are employed.
I am also tired of hearing that teachers pay and benefits is the most expensive line item for towns. How is this different than any business! Your "people" costs are always the most expensive....get it. Unless you propose we go to robots teaching our children...makes a lot of sense. Teachers pay is always at the forefront because it is the biggest easiest target. You are KIDDING yourself is you think these teachers are living the high life. On a day to day basis they are dealing with parents like a lot of these posters. Getting just as much pushback from the "parents" as the teenage students. My Johnny would never do that, can't you just print 4 extra copies of Jimmy's homework, can Sally take that test 4 weeks after it was given, why did you give my child detention for talking back, we will sue you.....Stop the whining and start stepping up and be involved....not just when your "taxes" are at stake...I challenge you all!!!!
And what do you do when your child is bullied and the school doesn't do a thing about it? As long as my tax dollars are paying, I will whine!
Yet Again

Hartford, CT

#18 May 26, 2009
Insider wrote:
The administrators and school principals, the lowest paid being 121K a year, gave back 30K in healthcare concessions.
The janitors and paraprofessionals, the lowest paid employees, gave back 40K. The teachers are still getting raises, at 2.5 %.
I get fighting for the no layoff guarantee. But in this day and age, why is it that the lowest paid employees take a bigger hit than the fat cat administrators and let's face it, pretty well compensated teachers. Maybe in Alabama they aren't well compensated...that is not the issue in CT (which, no doubt is the result of a strong union, but come on, in this day and age, something has to give).
Guilford has a long tradition of laying all tax increases at the foot of the homeowners. It's time they practice some fiscal expenditure responsibility. That and bring in some industry to build up the tax base.
Take a look at Alabama's state scores and maybe then you can see why they aren't attracting the best teachers around. You want that in CT? Go ahead, lower teachers' salaries. As it is you want me to live in the town I teach in but don't want to pay me the salary to afford to do so.
Absolutely unbelievable the postings I'm reading with this topic.
Crazy in CT

Springfield, MA

#19 May 26, 2009
Ahahaha wrote: And what do you do when your child is bullied and the school doesn't do a thing about it? As long as my tax dollars are paying, I will whine!
Last time I checked, administration deals with that level of discipline NOT always teachers. Again, these are different bargaining units.....so maybe there should be more push back on administration and their representatives. Lets channel our concerns appropriately.
Jeb62

Bethpage, NY

#20 May 26, 2009
Congratulations to the Guilford CEA Union members for doing what is right for their community. CEA has been pushing locals to ignore the pleas of their community. It is good to see one of the local unions and its members stood up for what was right for their members and their students.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connecticut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who's got your vote in the Connecticut Secretar... 5 hr wasademocratNomore 1
Connecticut state agencies battle over whether ... 12 hr Here Is One 8
Who's got your vote in the Connecticut State Co... Mon Topix Polls 0
Who's got your vote in the Connecticut State Tr... Mon Topix Polls 0
Who's got your vote in the Connecticut Attorney... Mon Topix Polls 0
Slumber party consultant (Jul '10) Mon Stacey 9
Bridgeport's coal plant in for the long run Sun Most Interesting Man 3

Connecticut People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE