GOP criticizes DeLauro on horse meat

Full story: Connecticut Post

A day after 3rd District Democrats nominated her to serve a 10th term, Connecticut Republicans launched a stinging attack against Rep.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of63
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Huh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

So what are we going to do with all these horses now?

I guess it's best if we let them grow old until their teeth get worn down to the point they can't consume enough food to support their bodies and they die of starvation.

Why is eating horse flesh an issue anyway? It is different not as tender as good beef ...... but maybe I cooked it wrong.

I thought that europeans did everything right, taxed gas to discourage it's use, lived grean, a more enlightened people then Americans.
Carol S

North Royalton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

American's do not eat their horses, it is not a cheap answer to rising beef prices. Horsemeat is a delicasy in European Countries at upwards of $20.00 a pound. It is a national disgrace that our American horses are slaughtered to be eaten in other countries, closing the slaughter houses in the US only stopped the slaughter from happening on our soil, now they are sent to Canada and Mexico to be inhumanely slaughtered.
mjwilson4798

Eltopia, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

It's time for this barbaric money maker end! Foreigners praying on American's and their horses. Heartless kill buyers sucking off of us, we've had enough!
murbay

Norristown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

i strongly support De Lauro in her efforts to pass a ban on the slaughter of horses.
Carol S

North Royalton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

The humane way of helping an older horse is euthanasia, the same thing we do with the rest of our pet's when they are ready to leave this world. The cost of euthanasia and disposal is about equal to the cost of properly feeding, hoof trimming, and vetting a horse for a month or two.
murbay

Norristown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

to huh, there is no need for an old horse to starve because of poor dentition. i think your attitude is problematic. if the horse has health issue there is euthanasia or a well placed bullet to the head. to send a an old horse to slaughter is horrific. the meat man does not buy old thin sick horses. so much for your theory. go to the auctions and you will see what they are buying
M Martin

New Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

There are many options available to horse owners - slaughter should NOT be one of them as it promotes abuse, neglect, illegal activity, irresponsibility, and cruelty. Slaughter is not humane euthanasia!
USDA states over 90% of horses laughtered are in good to excellent condition and 80% of the horses are under age 10.
visit www.vetsforequinewelfare.org , www.commonhorsesense.net , or www.kaufmanzoning.net for the truth.
if you want to see just how humane horseslaughter is - go watch
Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Part Two
or www.hsus.org
clear glasses

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

how about we send them to Africa so that the lions and hyenas can add a little variety to their diet?
M Martin

New Haven, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

maybe they should enlighten themselves on the chemicals used in horses labeled "not intended for use in animals intented for food"
go check the labels on common wormers, fly spray, phenylbutezone (horsey aspirin), wound ointments etc..
heres a little article about it
oldie but goodie and tru today as well.. those thoroughbreds go from the stable to the table in seven days - hardly enough time for drugs to leave their systems...
http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/hanchette...
whynot

New Milford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

M Martin wrote:
There are many options available to horse owners - slaughter should NOT be one of them as it promotes abuse, neglect, illegal activity, irresponsibility, and cruelty. Slaughter is not humane euthanasia!
USDA states over 90% of horses laughtered are in good to excellent condition and 80% of the horses are under age 10.
visit www.vetsforequinewelfare.org , www.commonhorsesense.net , or www.kaufmanzoning.net for the truth.
if you want to see just how humane horseslaughter is - go watch
Part One
Part Two
or www.hsus.org
Of course there not old or under fed. Who wants to eat a tough steak.
kirbymoline

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

TO HUH and WHYNOT; Perhaps you are trying to be funny but we are not laughing at your pathetic sacassem;Take a trip with a horse on that slaughter truck and see the anguish and pain it endures before that last moment it is finally taking its last breath.They are put through H___ before they die only to be eaten by people over-seas. It is folks like you that make me ashamed of this so called human race...
Rescue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

Maybe if people stopped BREEDING everything in site for the fun of raising a baby we wouldn't be having this debate!!!
Rory Rogers

Downers Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

Well, obviously Healy is completely ignorant on this subject since it is well-known that horse flesh is not cheap. It is considered a "delicacy" by the Japanese and other European countries who eat it.

Horses in America are not raised to be food. They are pets. I don't want one nickel of MY tax dollars used to fund U.S.D.A. inspections. Rosa should ignore Healy and, yes, Healy's attack is totally lame.
Karen E Valli

LÚvis, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

I sincerely hope that noone in North America is eating chevaline. Horses slaughtered in North America are not 'inspected' for drug content. Things like steroids, wormers, pain-killers, and other commonly given medications - most of which are clearly labeled 'Not To Be Used In Animals Intended For Human Consumption' - are tainting the meat shipped out of this country. Horses raised for meat in Europe are strictly monitored and are not slaughtered for human consumption if they become 'tainted' by these products. Fewer and fewer zoos here in North America are using chevaline to feed their animals because of this.
Hamden Nan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

"One can only wonder why she is more concerned with horse slaughtering than protecting the health of Connecticut taxpayers who can only afford to eat horse meat," Healy complained.(Does Mr. Healy really not grasp the concept that both houses of our Congress deal with a multitude of issues on a daily basis?)

Mr. Healy's comment shows his total ignorance on the subject of horse slaughter...in Europe and Asia, horsemeat is considered a delicacy, only affordable by the very wealthy! There is no market for horsemeat in the United States (including CT) and, if there were, only the residents of lower Fairfield County could possibly afford it. To imply that increasingly impoverished CT residents "can only afford to eat horse meat" is a complete misreprentation of reality!

Mr. Healy should also be made aware of the fact that both of CT's United States Senators and all but one of our Representatives are co-sponsors of S311/HR503...the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act - and the one Representative who hasn't co-sponsored has pledged his support for the bill. I commend them all, including Representative DeLauro, for listening to the upraised voices of not only their own constituents, but also to the outraged voices of nearly 70% of the American public who want this inhumane practice outlawed immediately!

Although all three horse slaughterhouses in the United States have ceased operation, this vile practice continues with the the transport of our horses across our northern and southern borders - S311/HR503 would not only permanently ban horse slaughter within our borders, but would also outlaw the transport of our American horses across the borders and mercifully end this reprehensible act by legislative fiat.

HORSE SLAUGHTER IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT HUMANE EUTHANASIA! I suggest you tune in to HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" this week to see just how "humane" horse slaughter is...NOT!
Duane Burright

Malibu, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

Mr. Healy's comment "One can only wonder why she is more concerned with horse slaughtering than protecting the health of Connecticut taxpayers who can only afford to eat horse meat." is rather amusing when you consider that the wealthy in Europe and Japan are the only ones who can afford horse meat. It costs upwards of $20 per pound.

Furthermore, I would think the Republicans would like cutting the funding of USDA horse meat inspections since this product is not consumed in America nor does the American economy profit from it. Wouldn't it be better to put AMERICAN taxpayer money to use to fund more rigorous inspections of the AMERICAN food supply? I sure think so.

As I mentioned, the American economy doesn't profit from the horse meat industry. The businesses which slaughter horses are owned by French and Belgian industries, all profit is made overseas so that we cannot tax them. I would think the Republicans would love to stop something like this.

There are many good Republicans who agree with Ms. DeLauro, it's too bad that people like Chris Healy just don't get it.
Duane Burright

Malibu, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

Huh wrote:
So what are we going to do with all these horses now?
I guess it's best if we let them grow old until their teeth get worn down to the point they can't consume enough food to support their bodies and they die of starvation.
Why is eating horse flesh an issue anyway? It is different not as tender as good beef ...... but maybe I cooked it wrong.
I thought that europeans did everything right, taxed gas to discourage it's use, lived grean, a more enlightened people then Americans.
Your point about old horses dying of starvation is the same pathetic rubbish the supporters of the slaughterhouses use. That has all been proven to be false.

The issue is cultural, we don't eat dog either. I'm an American and I certainly don't want foreign culture infiltrating my country.

On the point of enlightenment, let's take a look at the Judeo-Christian perspective.

Leviticus 11 rules out the consumption of animals that are not cloven-footed or chew the cud.

In 732 Pope Gregory II ordered the Benedictine missionary Wynfrith Boniface, archbishop of Hesse, to forbid consumption of horseflesh by his Christian converts in order that they may be seen to differ from the surrounding Vandals, who ate horse meat as part of their pagan rites.
Duane Burright

Malibu, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2008

Judged:

I recently wrote an article debunking all the rubbish that the supporters of the horse slaughter trade have been spreading.

Give it a look at: http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/horseslau...
jane

Newton Center, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Judged:

First of all, horse meat is not sold in the United States. It is sold overseas in France, Belgium and China and it is not affordable for a person on a budget.

Secondly, in poll after poll, citizens of the United States have said that they do NOT support slaughtering our horses for overseas comsumption. Horses in this country were not raised for meat. However they are still being transported over the borders into Canada and Mexico for slaughter.

My thanks and congratulations to Rep. DeLauro for doing whats right and for listening to the will of the American people and NOT bowing to the big bucks of foreign owned slaughter plants!!!
News watcher II

South Windsor, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

There is nothing as barbaric or horrific as horse slaughter. I can't thank Rosa Delauro enough for all her support in protecting THE HORSES of the UNITED STATES, must we forget.

STOP THE SLAUGHTER OF OUR HORSES NOW!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of63
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••