Debate Begins Early Over Bill To Disclose State Handgun Owners' Names, Addresses

Jan 4, 2013 Full story: CTNow.com

The names and addresses of about 170,000 handgun permit holders in Connecticut, now kept confidential by law, could be made public under a proposed bill that pits gun owners against would-be reformers in the aftermath of the Dec.

Full Story
NOTthechildren

Bryn Mawr, PA

#1 Jan 4, 2013
Funny Connecticut already has private laws on private information to protect the citizen.

http://www.mofo.com/New-Connecticut-Privacy-L...

But the battle for this will be fought on first admendment grounds and not privacy, security or public benefit. This is yet another reactionary symbolic gesture of support for the anit-gun crowd for political gain. It has nothing to do with public safety.

If a citizens security is put at risk by releasing private information like a social security why should an arbritrary disseminsation of gun records not be considered the misuse of personal information.

The first admendment has restrictions on it as well. You can't yell fire in a crowded theatre. By publishing or openly releasing those names I think you are creating a hazard for the gun owner and public at large. Releasing these names is crying fire in a crowded theatre in any state.
rcc

Uncasville, CT

#2 Jan 4, 2013
So if my house is broken into by a gun toting
robber and I or a family member is shot I will then be able to sue the state because they provided the robber with an address of a house that did not have a gun! I guess this is just another reason to get a gun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Connecticut Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Newspaper objects to order to not publish story Feb 18 Leland McKay 3
Connecticut Style on News Channel 8 (Jul '11) Feb 12 sandys soap shop 5
Younger workers fleeing Fairfield County Feb 9 Calvin 1
a What's with all the earthquakes in Connecticut? Jan '15 Paul 1
Banning plastic could be in the bag this year Jan '15 Connecticut Tippy 1
Check out the newest sensation in relaxation! M... Jan '15 ConnectiCuddles 1
Reliving Horror One More Time Dec '14 Corinne Martindale 1
More from around the web