State sues to revoke Sunwest license,...

State sues to revoke Sunwest license, exclude top executives

There are 2513 comments on the Lassen County Times/STPNS story from Feb 7, 2007, titled State sues to revoke Sunwest license, exclude top executives. In it, Lassen County Times/STPNS reports that:

Last October, California's Department of Social Services filed a scathing action against Sunwest Management, an Oregon-based corporation that manages residential health care facilities for the elderly and it's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lassen County Times/STPNS.

Phoenix

Troutman, NC

#951 Sep 21, 2008
Concerned wrote:
Don't know when, but heard they were selling the Carolinas. Does anyone know what will happen to the facilities if they are no longer having a company to deliver food?
This has happened before due to non-pmt. SW tries to tell you that it's due to the BK rumors, and vendors are getting scared and being pro-active.. Well, after they only owned us for 3 months.. our admin had to meet our regional at Costco with his credit card to get food.- due to non-pmt to Sysco.
This is business as usual and not anything new due to the "economy" or "Bk's"
Hopeful

Greensboro, NC

#952 Sep 21, 2008
I would agree that whoever it gets sold to things will turn out okay. I have been through several buy outs in WS and the only time I have seen people lose their jobs is when they fail their drug screen. All the residents and employees will be fine. Hopefully, it will be a really good company that purchases them. The teams and employees of the Carolina 7 deserve a break. I believe that WAITING to see who the new owners are is the worst part. I believe it will all be done by the end of the year. What do you guys think?
sad state of affairs

Kershaw, SC

#953 Sep 21, 2008
who are the carolina 7 facilities? Are the two in Charlotte included? We had the two very official men walking through our facility, but no one talks about it with staff.
Hopeful

Greensboro, NC

#954 Sep 22, 2008
The Carolina 7 include Winston Salem, Pinehurst, Greensboro, and Legacy Heights in Charlotte. I'm not sure who else. The staff isn't being told anything because I don't think anyone in the buildings is being told what is going on. We won't know until the new owners walk in the door. Maybe this week?!
jake

Salem, OR

#955 Sep 22, 2008
GraceManagement wrote:
This posting will be our last posting to this website to clarify wrongful accusations of some unknown people and/or entities.
1. Our full company name is “Grace Management, Inc.” so we are NOT a LLC or DLLC. We are headquartered in Minneapolis, MN.
2. We are an independently owned company, which was founded in 1984.
3. The source of this wrongful accusation purports to have knowledge of one of our properties that we manage in Florida. We assumed the management of this property on June 2008 from Sunwest Management and we are in the process of stabilizing it.
Anyone who is interested to learn the truth visit www.gracemanagement.com and contact us for further information.
If you are??? agent,thomas mccarthly ,6415 killingsworth portland ore, listed as a dllc= domestic limited liability company and list as active in the state of oregon. Is your company a franchase??? or what???
jake

Salem, OR

#956 Sep 22, 2008
GraceManagement wrote:
This posting will be our last posting to this website to clarify wrongful accusations of some unknown people and/or entities.
1. Our full company name is “Grace Management, Inc.” so we are NOT a LLC or DLLC. We are headquartered in Minneapolis, MN.
2. We are an independently owned company, which was founded in 1984.
3. The source of this wrongful accusation purports to have knowledge of one of our properties that we manage in Florida. We assumed the management of this property on June 2008 from Sunwest Management and we are in the process of stabilizing it.
Anyone who is interested to learn the truth visit www.gracemanagement.com and contact us for further information.
oops I forgot the reg# 485683-98 in the state of oregon
John Stithy

Smyrna, GA

#957 Sep 22, 2008
Ok, when this is over it will be known as one of the largest scams in US history. Where in heck did the 400m of investor's money go. Let's see, CEO has 20M house, company has 3 jets, 100 high paid no experiance execs, and a company average occupancy rate that is so low, it shows they were not in teh service business, but in the "take other people's money" business. Their theme song should be OPP.

Sunwest new mission statement - Stay out of jail while collecting a paycheck for as long as possible because we are so bad a what we do we can't get jobs anywhere else so let's milk it.
no questions answered

Cape Coral, FL

#958 Sep 22, 2008
jake wrote:
<quoted text> oops I forgot the reg# 485683-98 in the state of oregon
Jake

You aren't going to get any straight answers from this company. They have dodged every question asked. Instead they want an email. That way they know who they are dealing with. They cite the same old crap every time on here. If they are what they say, why do their newsletters for facilities say contact Sunwest. Plus... they want to respond on a Sunwest Blog. Doesn't make sense does it? smoke screen :(
bigboy

Damascus, OR

#959 Sep 22, 2008
Yes, the investors were sold the thing by high powered salespeople who recieved (I think) around a 7% commission (that the investors paid for in a round a bout way) and some of the "investments" as a gift to the salespeople.

My salesperson advised it was better to put CASH into the Canyon Creek (Sunwest) investments rather than 1031 into it. Of course, they wanted my easy cash!

I read the book on the investments and ran ran ran far from doing it. SAdly, others did not run....
concerned

Buford, GA

#960 Sep 22, 2008
Does anyone know if any of the facilities in Ga. are being sold?
CG-Georgia

Braselton, GA

#961 Sep 23, 2008
concerned wrote:
Does anyone know if any of the facilities in Ga. are being sold?
RACHEL CORBIN STATED LAST WEEK THAT NONE OF THE GEORGIA FACILITIES WILL BE AFFECTED. DON'T KNOW HOW TRUE THIS IS COMING FROM HER.
Sunworst mis Management

United States

#962 Sep 23, 2008
I feel sorry for all the SWM investors out there. I worked at SWM for a short time and saw the abuses and squandering (company wide as I had access to a lot of confidential company info) . I reported unethical activities to every gov't agency I could, usually to deaf ears. I saw money raised from investors and borrowed from banks only to be floated elsewhere by the owners. I saw the owners make foolish decisions only as a means to buy themselves more time and look for more investors to float more money. I witnessed budgets being slashed from deteriorating communities which caused further deteroration. and devaluation of properties. I saw good honest employees threatened and terminated for refusing to cooperate with the ruse of the owners. Now the investors that entrusted SWM to do them right and make sound decisions are paying the price. Thankfully Jon and Darryl's dirty deeds are finally being realized by the masses before others get stiffed (several other potential investors are now pulling out of other deals - non Assisted Living related deals - presented to them). Do not be fooled into thinking this company will do right for anyone, but the owners. I wish all the residents, families and investors luck in this sad saga.
sad state of affairs

Kershaw, SC

#963 Sep 23, 2008
Friday, August 15, 2008
Sunwest vies to stave off bankruptcyCompany officials are resolute, but say Chapter 11 a possibility
Portland Business Journal - by Robin J. Moody Business Journal staff writer
Foreclosure proceedings have started against nine properties owned by Salem-based Sunwest Management Inc., the nation’s fourth-largest assisted living company. The company wants to satisfy its financial obligations and avoid foreclosure.
• Briarwood Retirement Community and Assisted Living Community LLC in Springfield, Ore.
• Century Fields Retirement and Assisted Living Community LLC in Lebanon, Ore.
• Cherry Oaks Retirement and Assisted Living LLC in Denver.
• Carriage House Assisted Living & Memory Care LLC, Greensboro, N.C.
• Forest Heights Assisted Living & Memory Care LLC, Winston-Salem, N.C.
• Legacy Heights Assisted Living & Memory Care LLC, Charlotte, N.C.
• Legacy of Anderson Assisted Living Community LLC, Anderson, S.C.
• Sweetgrass Court Memory Care LLC, Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
• Sweetgrass Village Assisted Living LLC, Mt. Pleasant, S.C.

[email protected]
Hopeful

Greensboro, NC

#964 Sep 24, 2008
So who is buying the Carolina 7?
Joanne Beck

Honeoye Falls, NY

#965 Sep 24, 2008
Would you be willing to talk to me Connie? I work for The Daily News in Batavia and would appreciate any details about the Batavia complex. Thank you. [email protected]
connie wrote:
<quoted text>They need the money to pay the construction going on at Victorian Manor in Batavia ny! I just talked to a friend who is also a resident there and she said the rent is going up again! This is the second rent increase since Sunwest took over less than two years ago! I am the only one who had gutts enough to turn them into the state! The rest of the staff just puts up with their crap! Although I must say they can't keep any good help!
sad state of affairs

Kershaw, SC

#966 Sep 24, 2008
Hopeful wrote:
So who is buying the Carolina 7?
Who knows? There were official looking people walking around last week. But all anyone was told was that they were investors. Sounds like even the ED's aren't being told the truth. Sunwest is evil personified.
Panchos Sister

United States

#967 Sep 24, 2008
Joanne Beck wrote:
Would you be willing to talk to me Connie? I work for The Daily News in Batavia and would appreciate any details about the Batavia complex. Thank you. [email protected]
<quoted text>
She posted her email on another site, it is
[email protected] so you can contact her.
bigboy

Damascus, OR

#968 Sep 24, 2008
Yeah, the bottom line:
1. Sunwest (Canyon Creek) used realtors to grab investors eager to have low care real estate investments getting monthly, juicy, 10% and 12% interest rates.
2. Then, Sunwest, Jon and Darryl, continued to buy overpriced facilities, effectively SELLING them to investors. They of course manage them under other LLC names, as if it was not themselves! Then they spent much or all the money from the investors. They may not have kept great records and no one may find out where the money even went...
3. They let the facilities go downhill.
4. Sunwest may have invested the investors money into other "personal" deals or into "energy" companies they partly own, or "personal offshore accounts", who really knows...except some of thier attorneys know the truth.
5. Now they could be skating out declaring chapter 11 or chap 13 on one or more of thier businesses.
6. Next we will see them move to Mexico or something....or maybe they will fly away in a private jet.
Where does that leave the investors? The residents? Who knows????
One more foreclosure

Yacolt, WA

#969 Sep 24, 2008
FYI this is in the Eugene, Oregon newspaper today

Gregory A. Falk D.O., Esther I. Falk and Gregory A. Falk and Esther I. Falk , trustees of the Esther Falk Family Revocable Trust vs. Jon M. Harder, Kristin P. Harder, Sunwest Management Inc., Callahan Village Assisted Living LLC, Callahan Village II LLC, Eagle Springs Specialized Care LLC, Alpine Springs III LLC and Alpine Springs LLC: Plaintiffs allege breach of contract. Suit seeks $2,881,335 from Jon M. Harder and Kristin P. Harder; $3.4 million from the Harders and Sunwest; action on guaranty, foreclosure of security interest, appointment of receiver, charging order and accounting.
Fools Gold

Kasota, MN

#970 Sep 24, 2008
A fool and their money soon part. So let's recap: 1. Sunwest Management needs to raise $1 Billion just to stay solvent & operating, which doesn't take the following into account . 2. Sunwest settled two class-action lawsuits earlier this year for $5.5 Million. 3. Sunwest is being sued for $25 Million by a bank for defaulting on a loan. 4. Sunwest is being sued for $6.1 Million if I'm reading the above correctly. 5. Another half-dozen lawsuits currently going on around the country for lack of care, negligence in a shooting, identity theft, wrongful terminations, etc. for undisclosed amounts. 6. Plus other suits that I'm forgetting right now (can anyone add to this?). I'm guessing this company is finished. Jon & Darryl screw you both - it couldn't have happened to any bigger pricks than you! I feel sorry for the investors and residents, but HA HA HA & good riddance morons!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Injudgement 60,184
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Hill4me 217,130
News California Lawmakers Poised To Make It Illegal ... 3 hr Into The Night 143
News Violence follows California Trump rally, about ... 8 hr JackArmStrong 1,390
News Vallejo city manager's pay ranks 3rd in Bay Are... Wed Kurshan Village I... 5
Need Urgent Financial assistance or Loan? Conta... (Jun '13) Jun 28 Mr Williams Hood 17
News Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, ren... Jun 28 PFfff 8
More from around the web