Walgreens, Intent on Building Global Platform

May 24, 2013 Full story: GlobeSt.com 13

'Retail channels are blurring and we tend to accelerate that.' So said ICSC RECon 2013 keynote presenter Gregory Wasson , CEO and president of Walgreens .'Our goal is to put down the traditional drugstore format we know today and make something unique.

Full Story

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#1 May 24, 2013
That picture of Mr. Wasson just puts me in an irritated mood.
Diane

United States

#2 May 24, 2013
He looks untrustworthy.

Location hidden

#3 May 24, 2013
Diane wrote:
He looks untrustworthy.
I thought the same thing!
jules

Dallas, GA

#4 May 24, 2013
With Walgreens joining forces with Boots & AmerisourceBergen, the foundation is set to becoming a global empire

Location hidden

#5 May 24, 2013
jules wrote:
With Walgreens joining forces with Boots & AmerisourceBergen, the foundation is set to becoming a global empire
Possible, but I think the word "empire" may be too generous. I'm not so sure Walgreens has the ability to pull off such a thing. But who knows.
Jiggs

Papillion, NE

#6 May 24, 2013
Walgreens is focusing on bells and whistles while its infrastructure rots. The computers we use are older than many of our cashiers.

Location hidden

#7 May 25, 2013
What goes up, must come down. If you're not taking care of the little people that make this company what it is, they will not take care of you. Your foundation is weakening.
jules

Dallas, GA

#8 May 25, 2013
My Best Work wrote:
What goes up, must come down. If you're not taking care of the little people that make this company what it is, they will not take care of you. Your foundation is weakening.
The little people can be replaced without a blink! That's the culture of Corporate America.

The bottom line is how to please the MAJOR stock holders & the board of directors

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#9 May 25, 2013
yes. this is very true and i think in the long term will benefit walgreens.

they are doing substantial market research in south america, very under the radar though.

and then obviously the joint venture with boots. a lot of analysts are predicting walgreens will buy the remaining 55% of Boots when its time. I think 2015 is the year but could be off.

wal-mart, albeit a 'big-box' retailer is an example of a company that had great success in south america.

personally, i am exited about this global expansion and am glad to be apart of walgreens instead of CVS who has all their money behind their PBM Caremark.

Gotta assume that all these structural changes like the FELM are taking into account the global market. walgreens will probably have the same staff structure across the globe if they were to open more stores under the Walgreens brand.
donewithwags

Uniontown, OH

#10 May 25, 2013
wag007 wrote:
they are doing substantial market research in south america, very under the radar though.
and then obviously the joint venture with boots. a lot of analysts are predicting walgreens will buy the remaining 55% of Boots when its time. I think 2015 is the year but could be off.
wal-mart, albeit a 'big-box' retailer is an example of a company that had great success in south america.
personally, i am exited about this global expansion and am glad to be apart of walgreens instead of CVS who has all their money behind their PBM Caremark.
Gotta assume that all these structural changes like the FELM are taking into account the global market. walgreens will probably have the same staff structure across the globe if they were to open more stores under the Walgreens brand.
How exactly will this benefit Walgreens? Spending so much money building an empire instead of investing in the people that keep things running - you know the actual working people - is ludicrous. What good is it going to do to keep acquiring companies when customers are leaving in droves because of poor customer service? Then you have disgruntled employees who can't possibly keep up with the workload.
Have you been in any Walmart lately? It's a ghost town in there.

Location hidden

#11 May 25, 2013
wag007 wrote:
Where have you heard they're doing market research in south America? And I agree it'll be interesting. A drugstore in Peru would have to be managed differently than in Texas lol. Especially with so many differences in pharmacy regulations. Heck, maybe I'll transfer to Peru someday lol. Kidding!
Welcome2Walgreen s

Indianapolis, IN

#12 May 26, 2013
We can not keep the DEA happy and off our butts here in the US and they want to go to South America too now? Thought their hands were getting full in Europe.

There is a reason to cut to the bone , wages , hours and budget. Say good bye to Debt Free Walgreens we used to work for.

Have to bite the bullet. There is no turning back now. Fast train to just a job.

Location hidden

#13 May 26, 2013
Yep, we are going to be the cornerstore equivalent of wal mart. I don't see why WAGis willing to take on so much debt. Wasson is driving us into the ground.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min Sgt Prepper 182,067
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr OzRitz 49,316
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 14 hr Bently 201,187
Mexico's Take Over Of California: Complete By 2... (Jun '09) 16 hr Cricket 23 27,516
How cannons and coalminers linked Brierley Hill... 23 hr Hal 1
Gov. Brown names Commissioner Michael Picker pr... Wed Solarman 1
UUhhhhoaaahhh uhuhuowwww Wed Big Baubles 1
More from around the web