The Case Against 8

The Case Against 8

There are 21 comments on the EDGE story from May 5, 2014, titled The Case Against 8. In it, EDGE reports that:

Unlike the 50-minute arrest to conviction timetables on "Law and Order" iterations, real legal battles and appeals span years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Xstain Mullah Franchisee

Philadelphia, PA

#1 May 5, 2014
Windsor v. was the better conceived case and its decision has had by far the more wide ranging impact.

No Hollywood celebs driving it = no documentary celebration.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 May 5, 2014
Xstain Mullah Franchisee wrote:
Windsor v. was the better conceived case and its decision has had by far the more wide ranging impact.
No Hollywood celebs driving it = no documentary celebration.
Another 7 seconds, another screen name.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 May 5, 2014
Medium Tex wrote:
<quoted text>
Has it been that long? That creep is definitely the most annoying troll on Topix.
He's a wackazoid. Ignore him.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#5 May 5, 2014
"YEARS PEOPLE" Just live together. It would make things easy for all of us.
Xstain Mullah Franchisee

Philadelphia, PA

#6 May 5, 2014
Jumper The Wise wrote:
Rube, you must be addressing the RCC and the mormon whatever it is, both of which spent millions trying to bar a very obvious, "straightforward" issue of equality.
Jumper The Wise

Morgantown, KY

#7 May 5, 2014
<quoted text>
Rube, you must be addressing the RCC and the mormon whatever it is, both of which spent millions trying to bar a very obvious, "straightforward" issue of equality.
Well I'll be!
I thought I smelled astroglide and monkey turds!

No my little demo-crack,it is an issue of morality and legal judgement.

I did not read the story,as it is the same dance with a different tune.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#8 May 6, 2014
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>Well I'll be!
I thought I smelled astroglide and monkey turds!
No my little demo-crack,it is an issue of morality and legal judgement.
I did not read the story,as it is the same dance with a different tune.
You wrote:
"I did not read the story,as it is the same dance with a different tune."

You didn't read the story? Then how do you know it's "the same?" Let me guess....
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#9 May 6, 2014
Jumper The Wise wrote:
You mean it will make things easier for YOU. Too bad.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#11 May 6, 2014
Moral Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mona, you had your sex change operation yet?
Why on earth would I want to give up my enormous penis?

I sing and I dance
When I glance in my pants
I get a feeling like a sun-shiney day
I take a look at my enormous penis
And everything is going my way.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#13 May 6, 2014
Moral Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You would want to give up your needle d!ck for the same reason you've always liked posting as a woman, Mona, Jane, Rose. Because you're mentally ill and a wannabe bitc:h.
You poor thing........ so tormented and tortured.
Xstain Mullah Aroma

Philadelphia, PA

#14 May 6, 2014
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>an issue of morality and legal judgement
Which sexually sick bigots such as yourself have lost in the educated states and in most Western democracies, and will soon have lost nationwide.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#15 May 6, 2014
Jumper The Wise wrote:
If it's good enough for you to recommend to other people, it should be good enough for you, right?? So go ahead! Give up your right to civil marriage and "just like together" to get that ball rolling! See how easy that would be for everyone??

Good luck getting straight people (that aren't in the Oklahoma legislature) to give up all their freebies and protections that come with civil marriage. But you go give it a good try, okay??

“I beleave in reason not god”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#16 May 6, 2014
<quoted text>
if it so straightforward why did it take 10000 years before any state anywhere to reconize it.I know thar breaiphoa sometime lie say that there was but they never have haed eveents. and if there ever was I didn`t it last.

“I beleave in reason not god”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#17 May 6, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's good enough for you to recommend to other people, it should be good enough for you, right?? So go ahead! Give up your right to civil marriage and "just like together" to get that ball rolling! See how easy that would be for everyone??
Good luck getting straight people (that aren't in the Oklahoma legislature) to give up all their freebies and protections that come with civil marriage. But you go give it a good try, okay??
not the same there clear undenieable benifit to society from marriage. which has always been about family and childred. not love in fact for much of history it was arranged by family.
Xstain Mullah Aroma

Philadelphia, PA

#18 May 6, 2014
freethinker1957 wrote:
<quoted text>
if it so straightforward why did it take 10000 years before any state anywhere to reconize it.I know thar breaiphoa sometime lie say that there was but they never have haed eveents. and if there ever was I didn`t it last.
Answer the same question about the abolition of slavery or about women's emancipation and then maybe you'll qualify for some remedial education, Cletus.

Oh wait, you didn't like those examples of progress, either. My bad.

(By the way, there have been varieties of same sex marriage in various places for centuries.)
Xstain Mullah Aroma

Philadelphia, PA

#19 May 6, 2014
freethinker1957 wrote:
<quoted text>
not the same there clear undenieable benifit to society from marriage. which has always been about family and childred. not love in fact for much of history it was arranged by family.
Fine, moron, you just get to work barring the elderly, the infertile and those who don't wish to spawn from marriage.

Then we'll know you aren't just sexually ill.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#20 May 6, 2014
freethinker1957 wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw, look at you with your total lack of historical knowledge trying to sound all with it.

There actually is ZERO societal benefit from marriage. People were forming communities and having and raising children for many thousands of years before marriage was created. Marriage's only benefit to society is in creating artificial lines of inheritance and sorting who is a legitimate heir and who isn't. That doesn't help society. That helps only the handful of people with wealth.

And those very same societies and modern day anthropologists all agree that communities benefit dramatically when they include a certain percentage of adults that *don't* reproduce. Those adults are free to work for the benefit of the entire community rather than being bogged down by raising children.

Marriage was created, not to benefit society, or even to benefit children, but to benefit individual families by creating clear lines of succession for property and wealth. Throughout most of marriage's relatively short history, it's been about consolidating and maintaining familial wealth and power, not about raising children as the anti-gay zealots like to dream it is.

Children were simply the pawns that the family used to marry off to the highest other family they could find and, by doing so, consolidate more wealth. If you look very far back in history, you'll find that children, until they were of a certain age, were pretty much considered disposable because the infant and child mortality rates were so high. In Medieval Europe, most children weren't even named until they were two years old--why waste a good name on a kid that's not likely to live?

Quit trying to kid yourself and learn about the real world. Marriage is now and always has been a convenience for managing resources. Trying to pretend it's about raising children or "encouraging" straight people to be responsible is ridiculous.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#21 May 6, 2014
freethinker1957 wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation anyone? I can't read gibberish.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#22 May 7, 2014
An entire thread about Prop 8, which is no longer relevant to Californians. Silly stuff.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#23 May 7, 2014
Quest wrote:
An entire thread about Prop 8, which is no longer relevant to Californians. Silly stuff.
No longer relevant?? I beg to differ. Having Prop 8 thrown out as unconstitutional was HUGE. It will always be a big deal and not just for Californians. The rest of us benefited, too.

The story of Prop 8 is a big deal, too. It's a clear-cut example of when the ability to panic stupid people will get them to vote in truly hateful legislation because their fear overrides their otherwise relatively clear judgment. I can't tell you the numbers of times I heard people say, "Well, if liberal California is against same-sex marriage, it's over for you!!" after Prop 8 was voted in.

But it wasn't over, was it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min FIDDLE FARTS 64,481
News Court rules California bakeries may REFUSE to d... 7 hr Wondering 66
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 hr loose cannon 243,321
News After billions in tax increases, Californians d... 19 hr Well Well 10
News Trump rebukes California on anti-gang policing,... 23 hr tomin cali 2
van Drew takes NRA money Fri Terrence 1
Please use my referral code I'm poor Thu Referral 24 1
More from around the web