It's really American history month

It's really American history month

There are 8 comments on the The Daily Republic story from Feb 6, 2014, titled It's really American history month. In it, The Daily Republic reports that:

I'm afraid that when many non-black people hear the phrase Black History Month, they treat it like an upcoming Tyler Perry movie, something that's not for them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Republic.

Kolekieth

United States

#1 Feb 6, 2014
I think we should change black history month to a month that's longer a month without presidents a month where black people can be celebrated I've been feeling like this as long as I can remember the history Chanel show American history all year then when it's black history they still choose not to show appritiation for african Americans if any thing it should be african American month something with more prestige
if obama had a son

Vallejo, CA

#2 Feb 6, 2014
The Republican Abe Lincoln signed the bill that "gave" black people freedom from slavery but black people in their collective wisdom support the democrat party because it gives them free shit but keeps them in slavery . So what are we to make of this situation ?
GEE

Danville, CA

#3 Feb 6, 2014
I have difficulty comprehending your post, but I believe you suggest people of African descent should be celebrated differently than others. Are you suggesting public forced appreciation is a prestige thing and a whole month of adulation and force feeding of information will change or heightens the experience?
Once you add that American identifier thingy to your before mentioned ethnicity, you are now a North American and should swim with the rest of the people creating that melting pot we always hear about! Your history has become my history and is something to be explored and learned about by every citizen calling themselves an American!

I have nothing against celebrating, as long as every other group of people will get a whole month celebrating where ever they are descendents from, continent wise.

We have 7 continents on this Earth. Europe, Asia, Australia, North America, South America, Africa and Antarctica. Removing Antarctica, because Penguins at this point in the rising politically correct world order of not offending anyone or thing, do not have any status yet, would leave six continents and take up half of the year, that is doable I think.

The rest of the year could be dedicated to remembering presidents and any other holiday we deem worthy to be celebrated, strictly on Monday’s of course so we can have an extended weekend for kicking back....

When will we see a time that no longer celebrates skin colour, but the personal contribution to a well adjusted colourless society? I believe never, because doing that will remove the being different, better and therefore deserving of special treatment crutch that is being used to divide us. History, when remembered with all its warts, is a great teaching moment for a country like ours, our children and those that will come after we are gone.
if obama had a son

Vallejo, CA

#4 Feb 6, 2014
GEE wrote:
I have difficulty comprehending your post, but I believe you suggest people of African descent should be celebrated differently than others. Are you suggesting public forced appreciation is a prestige thing and a whole month of adulation and force feeding of information will change or heightens the experience?
Once you add that American identifier thingy to your before mentioned ethnicity, you are now a North American and should swim with the rest of the people creating that melting pot we always hear about! Your history has become my history and is something to be explored and learned about by every citizen calling themselves an American!
I have nothing against celebrating, as long as every other group of people will get a whole month celebrating where ever they are descendents from, continent wise.
We have 7 continents on this Earth. Europe, Asia, Australia, North America, South America, Africa and Antarctica. Removing Antarctica, because Penguins at this point in the rising politically correct world order of not offending anyone or thing, do not have any status yet, would leave six continents and take up half of the year, that is doable I think.
The rest of the year could be dedicated to remembering presidents and any other holiday we deem worthy to be celebrated, strictly on Monday’s of course so we can have an extended weekend for kicking back....
When will we see a time that no longer celebrates skin colour, but the personal contribution to a well adjusted colourless society? I believe never, because doing that will remove the being different, better and therefore deserving of special treatment crutch that is being used to divide us. History, when remembered with all its warts, is a great teaching moment for a country like ours, our children and those that will come after we are gone.
that is scribble from a fevered liberal pile of abortion, better sprayed on a new fence !
mr scholar86

Antioch, TN

#8 Feb 6, 2014
Black History is American History. If black people were never in this country, there probably would be no such thing as the USA as we know it today.
if obama had a son

Vallejo, CA

#9 Feb 7, 2014
mr scholar86 wrote:
Black History is American History. If black people were never in this country, there probably would be no such thing as the USA as we know it today.
" as we know it today " you got that right ! white people could keep most of their own hard earned money that now goes to freeloaders, there would be no democrats, and America would truly be the land of milk and honey. do you know why you never see a black person on star trek ?? because it's in the future
how's your free obamacare going ?
We Are Anon

San Jose, CA

#10 Feb 7, 2014
if obama had a son wrote:
<quoted text>" as we know it today " you got that right ! white people could keep most of their own hard earned money that now goes to freeloaders, there would be no democrats, and America would truly be the land of milk and honey. do you know why you never see a black person on star trek ?? because it's in the future
how's your free obamacare going ?
"do you know why you never see a black person on star trek ?? because it's in the future"

Sorry dude but you're SO wrong. Star Trek in the 60's had Nichelle Nichols as Uhura. Star Trek the Next Generation with Patrick Stewart had Lavar Burton as Jordi LaForge (late 80's/early 90's). Star Trek Deep Space 9 (mid 90's) had Avery Brooks as Captain Sisko. The whole point of Star Trek was to display a unified Earth that put all its differences (race, religion, gender, creed, etc) aside to come together and explore space for the common good. Star Trek is a great example of how we should ALL be. So YES black people play a MAJOR role in Star Trek and the future. Please retract your statement.
flutterby

United States

#11 Feb 7, 2014
I was gonna say the same thing. Well done, Anon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Sopr 222,428
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min Isham Jones 61,030
News California Lawmakers Approve Extension Of Clima... 4 hr Apostate 1
News California court decision keeps teacher tenure ... 15 hr Latricia 2
GD Designs Rochdale (26) Thu august005 1
News Joe Guzzardi: UC Shows Blatant Favoritism towar... Aug 23 Dee Dee Dee 2
Youth Track & Field Teams in Los Angeles County (Oct '11) Aug 21 Queenkweli 17
More from around the web