Immigrant groups welcome DMV study on licenses

Jan 16, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The State

Immigrant advocates are welcoming a California study that found unlicensed drivers are the most hazardous motorists on the road, saying it supports their longstanding argument that denying driver's licenses for illegal immigrants has put everyone at risk.

Comments
21 - 36 of 36 Comments Last updated Jan 29, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 20, 2013
 
Afghan - Iraq Vet wrote:
Illegal Aliens here in El Paso are Knowingly to have no Insurance and a very High number of drunk driving convictions
Texas should update their DMV system so that a vessels registration can be checked alongside with their insurance when a peace officer makes a request.

In California, a peace officer will know if a vessel has not paid their insurance as the insurance company will kick a notice to the DMV thereby suspending the registration until payment is made.

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 20, 2013
 
Bull Chit wrote:
<quoted text>What a load of krap! Being in OUR counyty illegally is the first law they broke.
Illegals are breaking a law, good way to state the obvious. That law is a civil infraction that carries a fine of $50 to $250 [first time offense], the legal equivalent of jaw walking or public littering.

8 U.S.C.§ 1325 : US Code - Section 1325: Improper entry by alien

So why are you frothing at the mouth about it like a rabid hyena?

You justify the illegality of this act by the fact that the law interprets it as illegal, yet you seem to ignore the fact that the penalty is also extremely mild and that the "law" you rely on to pontificate also regards this crime as insignificant. Insignificant enough for the fine to be less than a speeding ticket in some places, so miniscule that people have to be caught doing it several times for it to be prosecuted beyond a civil infraction.

Illegals caught are rarely deported, look at the statistics and most illegals caught are let go and only deported after committing another crime or sneaking in several times.

Moreover, you act as if the immigration law is written in stone, which the history of immigration in this country has proven it is not. Reagan gave amnesty to millions of illegals in the 1980s, just like our govt did for the dozens of millions of illegals who came here from Europe before 1912, both prime examples of how maleable our immigration laws are.

How about all these changes in immigration code since 1986?

1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens

2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens

3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994

4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America

5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti

6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens

7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens

8. 100,000 to 200,000 illegal Haitian nationals receive a 18 months of protected status.

9. 80,000 immigrants –- mostly from Islamic countries –- to resettle in the United States during fiscal year 2011

10. 1,000,000 illegal aliens under the age of 30 currently received a two year moratorium on deportation pending further notice.

How about the chinese exclusion act, and its eradication in the 1960s, or the changing of quota laws for immigration? These are all major changes in our immigration code and process that illustrate how the law is anything but written in stone.

You do know it was also illegal for blacks and whites to marry, asians to own property and native americans to practice their religion; and these laws were found to be incorrect and changed eventually.

My point is not that illegals should be given a free pass to come here, but that your point about illegal immigration being so wrong because the law states it as only a civil infraction is extremely incorrect.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jan 20, 2013
 
Hispanic America wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, you guys/gals are bringing forth statistics that show Hispanics having a slight lead on whites when it comes to DUI's. Your numbers for Hispanics are in the 40% range as well as the whites. So using your argument.... whites should not be given DL's either as they're as much of a danger to our roads as Hispanics.
I'm sorry of you're offended but whites are just as bad as Hispanics where it comes to DUI's. Maybe you & I should surrender our DL's so that the streets may be safer..... statistically speaking that is!
I am not offended in the least. FYI, I am not a drinker, toker or taker of any meds other than an occasional Advil. Facts are facts and I don't dispute them.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Hispanic America wrote:
<quoted text>
Illegals are breaking a law, good way to state the obvious. That law is a civil infraction that carries a fine of $50 to $250 [first time offense], the legal equivalent of jaw walking or public littering.
8 U.S.C.§ 1325 : US Code - Section 1325: Improper entry by alien
So why are you frothing at the mouth about it like a rabid hyena?
You justify the illegality of this act by the fact that the law interprets it as illegal, yet you seem to ignore the fact that the penalty is also extremely mild and that the "law" you rely on to pontificate also regards this crime as insignificant. Insignificant enough for the fine to be less than a speeding ticket in some places, so miniscule that people have to be caught doing it several times for it to be prosecuted beyond a civil infraction.
Illegals caught are rarely deported, look at the statistics and most illegals caught are let go and only deported after committing another crime or sneaking in several times.
Moreover, you act as if the immigration law is written in stone, which the history of immigration in this country has proven it is not. Reagan gave amnesty to millions of illegals in the 1980s, just like our govt did for the dozens of millions of illegals who came here from Europe before 1912, both prime examples of how maleable our immigration laws are.
How about all these changes in immigration code since 1986?
1. Immigration and Reform Control Act (IRCA), 1986: A blanket amnesty for some 2.7 million illegal aliens
2. Section 245(i) Amnesty, 1994: A temporary rolling amnesty for 578,000 illegal aliens
3. Section 245(i) Extension Amnesty, 1997: An extension of the rolling amnesty created in 1994
4. Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act (NACARA) Amnesty, 1997: An amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America
5. Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act Amnesty (HRIFA), 1998: An amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti
6. Late Amnesty, 2000: An amnesty for some illegal aliens who claim they should have been amnestied under the 1986 IRCA amnesty, an estimated 400,000 illegal aliens
7. LIFE Act Amnesty, 2000: A reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty, an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens
8. 100,000 to 200,000 illegal Haitian nationals receive a 18 months of protected status.
9. 80,000 immigrants –- mostly from Islamic countries –- to resettle in the United States during fiscal year 2011
10. 1,000,000 illegal aliens under the age of 30 currently received a two year moratorium on deportation pending further notice.
How about the chinese exclusion act, and its eradication in the 1960s, or the changing of quota laws for immigration? These are all major changes in our immigration code and process that illustrate how the law is anything but written in stone.
You do know it was also illegal for blacks and whites to marry, asians to own property and native americans to practice their religion; and these laws were found to be incorrect and changed eventually.
My point is not that illegals should be given a free pass to come here, but that your point about illegal immigration being so wrong because the law states it as only a civil infraction is extremely incorrect.
Rico, right?

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jan 20, 2013
 
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>I am not offended in the least. FYI, I am not a drinker, toker or taker of any meds other than an occasional Advil. Facts are facts and I don't dispute them.
Ok so I'm still trying to find out what's your point in bringing forth statistics that show Hispanics with a .9% lead [according to your statistics] over whites when it comes to DUI's?

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jan 20, 2013
 
Hispanic America wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok so I'm still trying to find out what's your point in bringing forth statistics that show Hispanics with a .9% lead [according to your statistics] over whites when it comes to DUI's?
It gave us something to converse, and we did so without slinging arrows. Wasn't that nice?
El Cid

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Why should an illegal alien get any sort of document that gives them any shred of legality. They deserve only arrest then deportation for the criminals they are.

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jan 20, 2013
 
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>How can you say they don't understand our laws, when so many of them have been pulled over for DUI's multiple times...surely after the first time, they'd get the hint that what they are doing is wrong.
What about the American Citizen DUI multiple offender ? What's their excuse? They obviously know the laws... understand English and are raised to know that DUI's are bad?

You see... sometimes it boils down to people simply having a disregard for the law.

Anyways... there is a law that deports an immigrant after they'd received their 3rd DUI. It seems like it's passed!

U.S. Senate: Illegal aliens must commit three DUI’s before they can be deported
http://www.examiner.com/article/u-s-senate-il...

S. 1925 (112th): Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2012
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s19...

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

El Cid wrote:
Why should an illegal alien get any sort of document that gives them any shred of legality. They deserve only arrest then deportation for the criminals they are.
Issuing a DL in no way gives them a shred of legality. It only allows them to operate a motor vehicle.

In the case of California all DL's clearly states on the back as follows....

"This license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle; it does not establish eligibility for employment, voter registration, or public benefits.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12800_...

So much for a DL giving an operator any shred of legality... right?

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jan 20, 2013
 
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>It gave us something to converse, and we did so without slinging arrows. Wasn't that nice?
I feel the purpose of focusing on Hispanics and the DUI rate was intended to imply that giving illegal aliens a DL will result in more DUI's becuase many illegals are Hispanic. It was a pure fear mongering attempt and nothing more. Ironically, you used statistics that show that whites are just as likely to commit a DUI as a Hispanic... yet give a pass to whites. No bias there, right?

Unfortunately, those Hispanics to drive drunk or who have already been caught with a DUI are not likely to be eligible for a DL let alone spend the time to get a DL for one reason.... you do not need a DL to drive a car. The mentality for some people is that all you need is the keys to the car and a tank full of gas. This circumstance is used by all persons regardless of the persons ethnicity.

In conclusion, Why is it, that some people will generalize a whole group as being exactly the same, just because of a few people within that group have done something bad?

Since: Jan 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jan 20, 2013
 
I can't even get a drink without showing id. Now they're going to get licenses even though they're ILLEGAL. what a joke.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jan 20, 2013
 
Hispanic America wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the American Citizen DUI multiple offender ? What's their excuse? They obviously know the laws... understand English and are raised to know that DUI's are bad?
You see... sometimes it boils down to people simply having a disregard for the law.
Anyways... there is a law that deports an immigrant after they'd received their 3rd DUI. It seems like it's passed!
U.S. Senate: Illegal aliens must commit three DUI’s before they can be deported
http://www.examiner.com/article/u-s-senate-il...
S. 1925 (112th): Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2012
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s19...
That's great, but what safeguards are in place to keep them from bouncing right back, and doing what they had done before? I bet they haven't thought that far. You and I both know it will be only a minor deterrent. At any rate having a license suspended or not even having a license does not keep idiot, drunken drivers off the road, because yes, all of the above don't respect our laws. It's a circle-jerk, and again, nothing really gets resolved.

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jan 20, 2013
 
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>That's great, but what safeguards are in place to keep them from bouncing right back, and doing what they had done before? I bet they haven't thought that far. You and I both know it will be only a minor deterrent.
Fines, penalties and prison time increase for habitual offenders. Lets look at California for example with its DUI laws.

California DMV DUI Laws
http://www.duiarresthelp.com/states/californi...

If you viewed the link, you'll see that the law gets pretty harsh for a habitual offender.
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>
At any rate having a license suspended or not even having a license does not keep idiot, drunken drivers off the road, because yes, all of the above don't respect our laws. It's a circle-jerk, and again, nothing really gets resolved.
I've seen how people live a life with driving with no license. They buy a crap car and drive it till it falls apart or they get pulled over and it gets impounded indefinitely. Then they go get another crap car and drive that one into the ground.

So in the end, a person who has full disregard for the law will easily find a way to circumvent the law.

Pen on paper laws are only effective if they're enforced and followed by the people.

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jan 20, 2013
 
subhuman 84 wrote:
I can't even get a drink without showing id. Now they're going to get licenses even though they're ILLEGAL. what a joke.
Be happy that your still carded to buy a drink. Someday they'll stop and thats when you know that age is creeping up on ya!

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jan 20, 2013
 
Hispanic America wrote:
<quoted text>
Fines, penalties and prison time increase for habitual offenders. Lets look at California for example with its DUI laws.
California DMV DUI Laws
http://www.duiarresthelp.com/states/californi...
If you viewed the link, you'll see that the law gets pretty harsh for a habitual offender.
<quoted text>
I've seen how people live a life with driving with no license. They buy a crap car and drive it till it falls apart or they get pulled over and it gets impounded indefinitely. Then they go get another crap car and drive that one into the ground.
So in the end, a person who has full disregard for the law will easily find a way to circumvent the law.
Pen on paper laws are only effective if they're enforced and followed by the people.
Ha! You best watch out, it seems that we beginning to agree on more and more. Your last sentence is spot on target.
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jan 29, 2013
 
Evil terrorist immigrants.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••