Schwarzenegger proposes closing 220 s...

Schwarzenegger proposes closing 220 state parks

There are 119 comments on the Whittier Daily News story from May 29, 2009, titled Schwarzenegger proposes closing 220 state parks. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

These are the 220 state parks, state beaches, state recreation areas, museums and state reserves that officials say would be closed under Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
DanielWhittier

Los Angeles, CA

#1 May 29, 2009
wow, now we are closing parks and beaches?? before you know it governator is gonna try and sell california itself to somebody if the price is right
Robbie

Redondo Beach, CA

#2 May 29, 2009
How about we close our State Capitol permanently to rid ourselves of our incompetetent and idiotic legislatures and bonehood Governor! This ought to save us a good 7 to 10 digit figure a year!
elle

AOL

#3 May 29, 2009
arnold, you stop it!
Citizen

United States

#4 May 29, 2009
Why don't we just take away our California heritage? First, we are overrun with illegal aliens, now we are forced to forget our California history? I need to get out of here!
Old Californian

United States

#5 May 29, 2009
Just out of curiosity, what does the state plan to do with all these areas once they are closed?
Outraged

Simi Valley, CA

#6 May 29, 2009
Old Californian wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what does the state plan to do with all these areas once they are closed?
my thoughts exactly! what happens to these once they close?
Robert Levinson

Duarte, CA

#7 May 29, 2009
The governor wants to close state parks. The governor wants to put solving the financial problem on the back of state employees by reducing their pay another 5%. Yet state legislators and their staff are not on furlough and do not have their salaries cut. Why are they exempt and the rest of the state employees are not?

The governor wants to cut services to children, the mentally ill, schools, etc. If the governor was really serious about cutting the budget he could save $10 billion by eliminating all services for illegal aliens aka undocumented workers. They are the real drain on the state's economy.
bobby gray

Pearl City, HI

#8 May 29, 2009
1) What does "close" mean? I mean I get it for a museum, but it's not so clear for park land and especially for a beach.

2) Why not just list what's being left open? What percentage of all state recreation areas is this 220?
Get Real

Glendora, CA

#9 May 29, 2009
Ideally, the State will lease the Parks to private operators and local municipalities who will operate them more efficiently and still turn a profit. This has been done in Federal Parks with great efficiency.
sad

Mountain View, CA

#10 May 29, 2009
Get Real wrote:
Ideally, the State will lease the Parks to private operators and local municipalities who will operate them more efficiently and still turn a profit. This has been done in Federal Parks with great efficiency.
The Government Not running anything!! A novel idea! But the Feds are just gearing up to run everything. Of course California has taken the lean in runaway spending and NOW we pay the piper. The pendulum swings again.
no free lunch

Glendora, CA

#11 May 29, 2009
You know, they could try to make the parks self-supporting by raising use fees.

but then the illegal would complain they couldn't afford to invade those places...
EAST LOS ANGELES

Ontario, CA

#12 May 29, 2009
I put the blame on the morons that voted him into office. This guy is worse than Mr. Davis. His
movies are good but his governing/political skills
are garbage. We were already in the red zone to begin with, then this pr*ck gets elected, that was
DISASTER-in-the-making!
OMG

Los Angeles, CA

#13 May 29, 2009
EAST LOS ANGELES wrote:
I put the blame on the morons that voted him into office. This guy is worse than Mr. Davis. His
movies are good but his governing/political skills
are garbage. We were already in the red zone to begin with, then this pr*ck gets elected, that was
DISASTER-in-the-making!
Are you serious?His movies STINK!!!
N2shotokai

Altadena, CA

#14 May 29, 2009
I got an idea, let's stop all benefits to illegal aliens. Medical, wellfare, education, food stamps the whole $9 billion a year.

Let's get rid of all non-productive government employees like Villalaraza's daughter who makes $80,000 a year and has attended zero meetings.

Let's get rid of all the pork and special interest groups.

Why in the heck are we paying for all this nonsense when we are losing our heritage, our state and abusing our productive state employees.

Ahnold has to go.
angelica johnson

Montesano, WA

#15 May 29, 2009
What a half wit!!! Doesn't he realize that people look forward to visiting the state parks, and that it's cheaper than leaving the state for vacation? Don't these parks belong to the CA taxpayers? Give us a break!!! Think he should give his salary to the state! He will not be voted in again, what a nut-case!!!! Well the folks that voted him in, are just as lame-brained as he is!!!
N2shotokai

Altadena, CA

#17 May 29, 2009
angelica johnson wrote:
What a half wit!!! Doesn't he realize that people look forward to visiting the state parks, and that it's cheaper than leaving the state for vacation? Don't these parks belong to the CA taxpayers? Give us a break!!! Think he should give his salary to the state! He will not be voted in again, what a nut-case!!!! Well the folks that voted him in, are just as lame-brained as he is!!!
Isn't he term limited?
FLACO

AOL

#18 May 29, 2009
DanielWhittier wrote:
wow, now we are closing parks and beaches?? before you know it governator is gonna try and sell california itself to somebody if the price is right
It's aleady been sold. Actually, given away ! It now belongs to Mexico. The re-naming ceremony will take place when Obama/Pelosi offers amnesty and voting righs to the 3.5 million illegal aliens that are currently living in CA.
It will then be re-named " Mexifornia "

Owned and operated by " Third World Enterprises Inc. " !!!
Question for the masses

Whittier, CA

#19 May 29, 2009
He had another way of dealing with the deficit. I suppose most of the people that are whining also voted against those measures? I would hate to see the parks close, but what are some other ideas?
Bingo Bob

United States

#20 May 29, 2009
FLACO wrote:
<quoted text>It's aleady been sold. Actually, given away ! It now belongs to Mexico. The re-naming ceremony will take place when Obama/Pelosi offers amnesty and voting righs to the 3.5 million illegal aliens that are currently living in CA.
It will then be re-named " Mexifornia "
Owned and operated by " Third World Enterprises Inc. " !!!
Couldn't have said it better myself!
RosaL

Kernersville, NC

#21 May 29, 2009
If you don't want to pay the piper (taxes), you can't have the goodies (State Parks, services). What did you morons think would happen when you voted against the propositions? I've got another scoop for you geniuses: Illegal aliens pay taxes, social security, etc.(I know, I've deducted it from their pay), but get little in return for it because they are illegal. In fact, by working they subsidize many of the whiners on these boards in their retirement.

I hope you're ready for this fire season. Hopefully the state won't have to lay off all the firefighters.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Violence follows California Trump rally, about ... 1 min californio 1,041
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques Orleans 214,458
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Earthling-1 59,505
join illuminati and achieve riches fame and pow... 20 hr Cynthia 1
Youth Track & Field Teams in Los Angeles County (Oct '11) Thu adreena thomas 15
Forgot Password, Pattern or PIN on Samsung Gala... Thu MagloireHunt 1
Bernie can Constitutionally be in General Election Wed Former Mayor Jeff... 1
More from around the web