Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,179

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#185488 Mar 29, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
I've had an epiphany! My god, a full blown revelation! We can all be haters, as long as we do it from the left side of the fence, and not the right side! How could I have been so blind? All the hate rant levelled at me has convinced me that I was wrong for picking my side to hate from. Since I wish to be a bigot, my transgression was to not be on the side of the gays. that would have made my bigotry perfectly acceptable. All of those names and insults that I have received have shown me how wrong I was, to have missed out on being a liberal. The hate-fueled rants have convinced me that the gays are really the lovers and peaceful ones. Silly me... Chongo has especially me shown the true way to practice tolerance. By his use of the children of some of the posters, he has shown me that his point of view is the correct one, the delicate one. By asking KiMare about abortion, he has shown me the practice of love at work. How could I have missed these valuable points?
Bravo! Well put Rock.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#185489 Mar 29, 2013
I've had an epiphany! My god, a full blown revelation! We can all be haters, as long as we do it from the left side of the fence, and not the right side! How could I have been so blind? All the hate rant levelled at me has convinced me that I was wrong for picking my side to hate from. Since I wish to be a bigot, my transgression was to not be on the side of the gays. that would have made my bigotry perfectly acceptable. All of those names and insults that I have received have shown me how wrong I was, to have missed out on being a liberal. The hate-fueled rants have convinced me that the gays are really the lovers and peaceful ones. Silly me... Chongo has especially me shown the true way to practice tolerance. By his use of the children of some of the posters, he has shown me that his point of view is the correct one, the delicate one. By asking KiMare about abortion, he has shown me the practice of love at work. How could I have missed these valuable points?
Do you really think that we all hate you? Seriously?

I realize this is going to sound childish, but you guys started it.

We're trying to live our lives the only way that we know how. We don't want to hide who we are. We want the same rights and protections (not just in marriage) as you guys enjoy. And we'd like to be left alone.

But the way I see it, you've got people on your side telling us things like, "we hate the sin and not the sinner" and "we don't mind if you're gay, just don't practice it" and "it's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and (in Kimare's words) "You're genetic mistakes", "You're sexually broken", "You spread diseases", "You play in each other's shit" (that last one was a rough translation of what he says, but he'll understand, I'm sure)...

We FEEL like you guys HATE us. It seems like that's what's coming from your mouths.

How are we supposed to respond? Should we just lay down and let you run all over us? Should we go ahead and let your words and actions toward us make so many young gay kids feel like the only way they can get any peace is to send themselves to God by way of suicide?

My heterosexual parents hated me so badly after they learned that I am gay that they actually made plans to come to my house and murder me, then kill themselves; so that NO ONE would EVER know of my "shameful" secret. My mom told me over and over that she would rather I be in a coffin than to know that I was gay.

How can it be that people hate us so bad that they would rather see us dead than to have us live on the planet?

I just don't get it...

Here's the deal... You guys back down, let us live our own lives, and we'll back down. You won't even notice us.

You guys started it. You guys decided that you won't have us living amongst you. You've had it in for us for eons (give or take a few centuries).

We're not going away. Even if we wanted to, we're not going away.

There isn't one single gay person on this planet who said, "You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to change my sexual attraction so that most people will hate me and fear me." Nobody ever did that.

We were born this way. We don't know why. And frankly, it shouldn't matter, because we pose no threat to you or society.

Try for once to see the situation from our perspectives.

If the shoe were on the other foot, how would you respond?
Anonymous

Woonsocket, RI

#185490 Mar 29, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the main question here is: is marriage a civil right or a constitutionally protected religious freedom. Those against gay marriage will argue it is the latter. Even though everything about marriage proves its a civil issue. Sure you can get married in a church but you can also get married in a courthouse, on a beach, in a park, hotel, or even a bar. They argue marriage is a religious ceremony, but marriages are ended in court with lawyers. You get a marriage license from the government not the church. And don't forget those final words " by the power vested in me by the state of _______". Last but not least you can get married by a priest but also by a judge, mayor, governor, county clerk. Etc
It does not matter the place or of whome is holding the book saying the words. It is done under God and in God's name. Sure back in the day matramony was to take place in a church, the rules have altered a bit, but people of the same sex, it just bothers me, its not right! There will always be controversy on this topic!
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

#185491 Mar 29, 2013
<quoted text>
I can't resist.... Ever heard of Tamany Hall? Dumb-ass fool.
what does a corrupt 19th century organization on the other side of the country have to do with prop hate??

oh yeah, i forgot, your mind is stUCK in a bygone era..!!

far bygone!
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#185492 Mar 29, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Rock on! Exactly! We don't put urinals in the women's locker room for a reason.
Yes, this is because (according to "The Logic Of The Chongo"), equal rights are being violated for noticing a difference between men and women, when any child can see that we are identical...or some such drivel...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#185493 Mar 29, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
that isnt quite how the democrats handled it in 08'
a perfectly qualified candidate was overcome by another perfectly qualified candidate, because people thought he was smarter....
at least that is how he comes across..
the rethugs just do it by succession...
at least for the nomination.
.. however the idea of a republican president, any time in the forseeable future??, Is just ridiculous to even consider.
Oh but of course it is, the democraps have chosen Queen Hillary to take the thrown. Bill can be the first man.
Anonymous

Woonsocket, RI

#185494 Mar 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Ignore him, he can't even spell correctly. Just to acknowledge him is an insult to you, as you must lower yourself to his level. You are plainly above him, don't honor him with notice.
I find it interesting to see this from a pro homo point of view. Because yeah nobody where I am from is for this, so I don't see this national dispute from the other side of the fence.

Knoxville, TN

#185495 Mar 29, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the main question here is: is marriage a civil right or a constitutionally protected religious freedom. Those against gay marriage will argue it is the latter. Even though everything about marriage proves its a civil issue. Sure you can get married in a church but you can also get married in a courthouse, on a beach, in a park, hotel, or even a bar. They argue marriage is a religious ceremony, but marriages are ended in court with lawyers. You get a marriage license from the government not the church. And don't forget those final words " by the power vested in me by the state of _______". Last but not least you can get married by a priest but also by a judge, mayor, governor, county clerk. Etc
I don't know why they don't understand that there is a "legal marriage" and a "marriage ceremony".

Pastors can perform "marriage ceremonies" until the cows come home. But if the government hasn't approved of the union by way of a license, then the ceremony is meaningless.

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

#185496 Mar 29, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>It does not matter the place or of whome is holding the book saying the words. It is done under God and in God's name. Sure back in the day matramony was to take place in a church, the rules have altered a bit, but people of the same sex, it just bothers me, its not right! There will always be controversy on this topic!
Just like anything else if you don't like it don't do it but don't impose your bad judgement on others. Just because I don't like spinach doesn't mean you can't eat it.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#185497 Mar 29, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
unfortunatley, historical record, doesnt bear out your assesment of Harvey Milk.
in one of his most famous speeches from 1978(yes rock, its on tape)
he implores all gays, coast to coast to come out??
that kinda blows a hole in what you just wrote.
sorry to let you down, what you know is wrong.
Your hero was a mess:

"...Milk's continuing campaign, run from the storefront of Castro Camera, was a study in disorganization. Although the older Irish grandmothers and gay men who volunteered were plentiful and happy to send out mass mailings, Milk's notes and volunteer lists were kept on scrap papers. Any time the campaign required funds, the money came from the cash register without any consideration for accounting. The campaign manager's assistant was an 11-year-old neighborhood girl who joyfully ordered the volunteers to work. Milk himself was hyperactive and prone to fantastic outbursts of temper, only to recover quickly and shout excitedly about something else. Many of his rants were directed at his lover, Scott Smith, who was becoming disillusioned with the man who was no longer the laid-back hippie he had fallen in love with...."

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#185498 Mar 29, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Legal marriage is still defined by the state. It was, and still is in 32 plus states, an exclusive union of husband and wife. Some states have eliminated the husband and wife requirement. What is next? Eliminate the number of spouses, or perhaps expand the number? Eliminate the prohibition against blood relatives marrying? There's really nothing else left after that.

Milwaukee

#185499 Mar 29, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>It does not matter the place or of whome is holding the book saying the words. It is done under God and in God's name. Sure back in the day matramony was to take place in a church, the rules have altered a bit, but people of the same sex, it just bothers me, its not right! There will always be controversy on this topic!
Look at pictures if those that protested against interracial marriage 40 years ago. They look like idiots. Just a snap shot of what you will look like in 40 years. You clearly read my post before you replied. So instead of spewing your brainwashed bible crap give me your own thoughts based on logic and or facts. Oh that's right you can't prove God exists just as I can't prove he does not.

Milwaukee

#185500 Mar 29, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>Legal marriage is still defined by the state. It was, and still is in 32 plus states, an exclusive union of husband and wife. Some states have eliminated the husband and wife requirement. What is next? Eliminate the number of spouses, or perhaps expand the number? Eliminate the prohibition against blood relatives marrying? There's really nothing else left after that.
I'm not asking to have more than 2 persons in a marriage or to marry my cousin or an animal. You are avoiding the issue and expanding it to things that do not apply. Interracial marriage was protested against 40 years ago look how dumb those people look now.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#185501 Mar 29, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think that we all hate you? Seriously?
I realize this is going to sound childish, but you guys started it.
We're trying to live our lives the only way that we know how. We don't want to hide who we are. We want the same rights and protections (not just in marriage) as you guys enjoy. And we'd like to be left alone.
But the way I see it, you've got people on your side telling us things like, "we hate the sin and not the sinner" and "we don't mind if you're gay, just don't practice it" and "it's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and (in Kimare's words) "You're genetic mistakes", "You're sexually broken", "You spread diseases", "You play in each other's shit" (that last one was a rough translation of what he says, but he'll understand, I'm sure)...
We FEEL like you guys HATE us. It seems like that's what's coming from your mouths.
How are we supposed to respond? Should we just lay down and let you run all over us? Should we go ahead and let your words and actions toward us make so many young gay kids feel like the only way they can get any peace is to send themselves to God by way of suicide?
My heterosexual parents hated me so badly after they learned that I am gay that they actually made plans to come to my house and murder me, then kill themselves; so that NO ONE would EVER know of my "shameful" secret. My mom told me over and over that she would rather I be in a coffin than to know that I was gay.
How can it be that people hate us so bad that they would rather see us dead than to have us live on the planet?
I just don't get it...
Here's the deal... You guys back down, let us live our own lives, and we'll back down. You won't even notice us.
You guys started it. You guys decided that you won't have us living amongst you. You've had it in for us for eons (give or take a few centuries).
We're not going away. Even if we wanted to, we're not going away.
There isn't one single gay person on this planet who said, "You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to change my sexual attraction so that most people will hate me and fear me." Nobody ever did that.
We were born this way. We don't know why. And frankly, it shouldn't matter, because we pose no threat to you or society.
Try for once to see the situation from our perspectives.
If the shoe were on the other foot, how would you respond?
No, I do not think that all of you hate me, and I do not hate you. I am adamant that some things be left as they have always been, and I am not referring to slavery or the subjugation of women. I believe that marriage is too old, and traditional, an institution to have it be changed now. And that does not sound childish, I have said the same thing, as well, that neither side is above it. I am truly sorry to hear that story of your parents, and if i had any gay kids, i would love them just the same, although i would still be adamant about marriage being a singular institution, reserved for 1 man and 1 woman. I have had many gay friends over the years, and many religious friends, as well, and have never had any problems with any of them when involved in debates about the merits and demerits of our respective sides (which has been enhanced with the Christians, as I am a witch,(and a believer in balance) not "Wiccan", the new, trendy word for it). By all means, live your lives, I am not against that, I am against changing the meaning of marriage to include any pairing off of a couple, to obtain rights which can be had through a properly drawn up legal document. It's no more hate, than it is hate to tell a child that it cannot have a cookie. You might not believe this, but I DO see things from your perspective, but, as with so many haters in here, on both sides, hate and insults are the coin of the realm. And your side applauds the insults of the one I call Chongo, they never chide the haters for hurting the cause, but I have done so against my side and yours, as idiots are fair game.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#185502 Mar 29, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not asking to have more than 2 persons in a marriage or to marry my cousin or an animal. You are avoiding the issue and expanding it to things that do not apply. Interracial marriage was protested against 40 years ago look how dumb those people look now.
What makes it a "right" for you to define as you choose, but not for the others?

Knoxville, TN

#185504 Mar 29, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>I find it interesting to see this from a pro homo point of view. Because yeah nobody where I am from is for this, so I don't see this national dispute from the other side of the fence.
Hey Girl...

Let me introduce myself. I am a bona fide homosexual. I've known that I was attracted to guys for as far back as I can remember. When I was young, I only had crushes on guys. No offense, but I never had a crush on a girl in my life.

Now that's not to say that I don't know what a good looking woman looks like. I think I see women the same way you do. You're not attracted to them, but you know when someone is good looking.

I don't know if you know any gay people or not, but I want to tell you about my day today.

I woke up a little late--around 8am or 9am. I was off, so I could sleep in.

Like most other guys in the world, I took a pee. Then I got dressed and took my 13 year old, half-blind, crippled-up Chihuahua outside for a walk. I brought him back in and fed him his breakfast.

I came back in and fed him. Then I lit up a cigarette. I keep meaning to stop. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

I turned on the TV and watched HGTV.

I looked at some newspapers on the computer. I checked out facebook. I checked out TOPIX.

It is raining here today--kind of cool; so I got back in bed and napped for a few hours.

I got up around 2pm. I called a friend and asked him if he wanted to try out a new Mexican restaurant here in town.

We went to late lunch. The food was so-so. I ended up stopping at the grocery store and buying some Pop-Tarts, toilet paper, some ginger ale, and a piece of chocolate cake from the bakery.

I stopped by the liquor store on the way home to buy a bottle of cheap wine for a birthday party I'm going to tomorrow.

I came back home, put away the groceries (except for the cake). I took my dog out again. I gave him some food.

I watched the CBS evening news, then Judge Judy, then "Ridiculousness" on MTV.

I just finished my piece of cake.

I plan on renting "Lincoln" later this evening on Comcast.

I'll probably fall asleep around 1am or 2am.

Welcome to the head-over-heels life of a typical gay man.

I guarantee that if I had a partner, my day wouldn't have been too much different. We wouldn't have thrown on women's make-up or dresses or gone to a night club wearing tight clothes.

We are no different than you are, girl.

There's only one very small aspect of our lives that is different than yours.

We just want to be left alone, is all. Just let us live our lives in peace.

Just wanted to let you in on the "gay agenda" and the "homosexual lifestyle".

Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#185505 Mar 29, 2013
Tommy cochrane wrote:
<quoted text>
what does a corrupt 19th century organization on the other side of the country have to do with prop hate??
oh yeah, i forgot, your mind is stUCK in a bygone era..!!
far bygone!
Hey, moron, we weren't talking about prop 8, you asked me what did I know about how our politicians were elected, remember? DDD-OOOHHHhhhh...You don't even have a mind.
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

#185506 Mar 29, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>I find it interesting to see this from a pro homo point of view. Because yeah nobody where I am from is for this, so I don't see this national dispute from the other side of the fence.
yet it is interesting to tell you that YOUR state was the first state to pass gay marraige...

they did it in the legislature, when you were 13.

you come from a state where the MAJORITY of people support marraige equality...

sorry to burst your bubble...
i happen to know the area quite well...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#185507 Mar 29, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not asking to have more than 2 persons in a marriage
You may not be, but others, polygamists, would like to.
or to marry my cousin or an animal
You can in some states, your cousin, not an animal.
. You are avoiding the issue and expanding it to things that do not apply.
Ahhhhh...but they do. You wish to redefine the legal definition of marriage for your particular desires/needs/situation. I wish it not be redefined.
Interracial marriage was protested against 40 years ago look how dumb those people look now.
First, the protest was an effort to keep certain races apart, prevent micengenation of the race, and maintain white supremacy.

Second there are more than two races, and a person can be a product of multiple races.

Third, interracial marriages were legal in different parts of the country at different times. The bans only banned certain racial combinations, not all.

Last. There are only two sexes, both are needed to make more.

Knoxville, TN

#185508 Mar 29, 2013
<quoted text>
No, I do not think that all of you hate me, and I do not hate you. I am adamant that some things be left as they have always been, and I am not referring to slavery or the subjugation of women. I believe that marriage is too old, and traditional, an institution to have it be changed now. And that does not sound childish, I have said the same thing, as well, that neither side is above it. I am truly sorry to hear that story of your parents, and if i had any gay kids, i would love them just the same, although i would still be adamant about marriage being a singular institution, reserved for 1 man and 1 woman. I have had many gay friends over the years, and many religious friends, as well, and have never had any problems with any of them when involved in debates about the merits and demerits of our respective sides (which has been enhanced with the Christians, as I am a witch,(and a believer in balance) not "Wiccan", the new, trendy word for it). By all means, live your lives, I am not against that, I am against changing the meaning of marriage to include any pairing off of a couple, to obtain rights which can be had through a properly drawn up legal document. It's no more hate, than it is hate to tell a child that it cannot have a cookie. You might not believe this, but I DO see things from your perspective, but, as with so many haters in here, on both sides, hate and insults are the coin of the realm. And your side applauds the insults of the one I call Chongo, they never chide the haters for hurting the cause, but I have done so against my side and yours, as idiots are fair game.
I hear you, Randy... I don't hate you either. I don't even know you.

I'm happy that you have gay friends. And I'm also glad to hear that you would love a gay child. That sounds wonderful.

But I do want you to know that it isn't possible to have all of the rights and protections of marriage by simply drawing up the right paperwork.

If I had a partner right now (I'm single) and he were to come down with cancer; even though I have family medical leave built up, I can't use it to take care of him. A married person can, but I can't.

If I were older and I had a partner and he had a stroke and had to go into a nursing home, all of his property would have to be sold to take care of him before state assistance would kick in to help out.

Now you might think this is rare, but it isn't. The vast majority of people who are married and have to go into a nursing home end up on Medicaid. According to Medicaid, a married couple can keep their house, its contents, a car, burial policies, and up to $72,000 in their account and still be eligible for help. In fact, if a husband goes into long-term care at a nursing home, the spouse can continue to draw part or all of his social security while he's in the nursing home so that the spouse isn't left penniless or homeless.

Gay couples cannot do this--no matter what kind of paperwork they draw up. These are federal and state laws and regulations.

And there are over 1,000 such laws.

If I've been with my partner for 30 years and he suddenly dies, any of his assets that he leaves me in a will would be taxed as an inheritance. This doesn't happen to married couples.

And while there may be some things that a couple can do to protect themselves, you have to understand that not all gay people have the knowledge or resources to hire an attorney to do these things.

With a married couple, these things are take care of with the marriage license.

I know these things because I've worked as a hospital/nursing home social worker for over 25 years. I know the state and fedral regulations. And I've seen same-sex partners get into a real bind.

I am approaching you with all due respect here. I just want you to know that same-sex couples cannot get all things married couples get.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 181,862
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Mothra 49,236
New list puts Vallejo among the statea s most d... 4 hr fred 3
Gay marriage (Mar '13) Fri HOLME 56,692
Vital points in Construction Accidents (Apr '08) Fri Pavlos Lombardi 2
Condoleezza Rice urges Republican party to be m... (Mar '14) Dec 18 Swedenforever 58
Seeking lawyer for big lawsuit Dec 18 Outraged 1
More from around the web