One by One, Our Abortion Stories Can ...

One by One, Our Abortion Stories Can Change Debate

There are 1167 comments on the Women's eNews story from Dec 9, 2012, titled One by One, Our Abortion Stories Can Change Debate. In it, Women's eNews reports that:

Three drugstore purchased tests had proved it without a doubt. I was pregnant. Sitting on the toilet, looking at the tests lined up side by side on the tub, it was a typically cool and foggy summer day near the beach in San Francisco.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Women's eNews.

Ocean56

AOL

#821 Dec 31, 2012
Babies are EXPENSIVE

One of the most overlooked factors of being a mom, whether you're a teen or young adult, is how much it really costs to care for a baby and child. Many girls/women have no idea whatsoever how truly EXPENSIVE it is to buy all the supplies a baby will need, even in the first two months.

So, just to do a little research myself, I took a notebook with me on one of my trips to the grocery store, and wrote down the costs for items that parents will need for a baby. Here's a short price list:

Diapers - Huggies (to 14 pounds) 40/pkg.$9.99
Formula - Enfamil, newborn, 6 2oz. btl/pkg.$7.99
Wipes - Pampers baby wipes, 72/pkg.$2.79
Bottles - Evenflo, 3/pkg.$5.69
Bottle cleaning brush, 1/pkg.$2.99
Pacifiers - Nuk, 2/pkg.$3.69
Diaper rash cream - Desitin, 1 tube $5.45
Baby powder - Johnson's lrg. economy size $4.59
Baby wash - Johnson's lrg.$2.79
Baby shampoo - Johnson's med. size $3.99

The above are just the BASE prices, which were priced on 3/26/12. The cost for diapers and formula will quickly multiply, depending on how much formula the baby needs and how many diaper changes the baby must have to keep his/her skin healthy. Moms will need a lot of diapers too. Diapers must be changed quite frequently to avoid diaper rash, which occurs as a result of babies being in a wet or stinky diaper for too long.

Let's assume, as an example, that the baby will have to be changed six times a day. The cost of diapers, which is $9.99 for a package of 40 can multiply as follows:

6 diapers per day, x 7 days = 42 diapers
42 diapers per week, x 4 weeks =$168 per month

The cost of formula can quickly multiply as well, depending on how much formula is used per day. When my son was a newborn and infant, he could easily consume a bottle at each feeding, which could be 2 or 3 ounces. If the baby is bigger, he/she will need more at each feeding.

The base cost for a six-pack of Enfamil ready-to-use 2oz. bottles is $7.99, which is really $8.00 minus a penny. It can multiply as follows:

2 six-packs per week @$8.00 =$16.00 per week
$16.00 x 4 weeks =$64.00 month

Remember, these figures are just ESTIMATES. Moms may choose different types of formula, but they have to know what the cost is, and they'll have to multiply it for a monthly estimate. Also, these costs are for diapers and formula ALONE. Moms will also have to buy clothes, a car seat (required by law), crib, stroller, infant seat, baby toys, and the list goes on.

It will be difficult, and in some cases impossible, for girls and young women to buy all these necessities for a baby, especially when the moms are teens and are too young to even work if they are younger than 16. Even moms over the age of 16 must graduate high school first, in order to obtain better jobs/careers.

“2014 TDF”

Since: Mar 09

Boca Raton, FL.

#822 Dec 31, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
Babies are EXPENSIVE

One of the most overlooked factors of being a mom, whether you're a teen or young adult, is how much it really costs to care for a baby and child. Many girls/women have no idea whatsoever how truly EXPENSIVE it is to buy all the supplies a baby will need, even in the first two months.

So, just to do a little research myself, I took a notebook with me on one of my trips to the grocery store, and wrote down the costs for items that parents will need for a baby. Here's a short price list:

Diapers - Huggies (to 14 pounds) 40/pkg.$9.99
Formula - Enfamil, newborn, 6 2oz. btl/pkg.$7.99
Wipes - Pampers baby wipes, 72/pkg.$2.79
Bottles - Evenflo, 3/pkg.$5.69
Bottle cleaning brush, 1/pkg.$2.99
Pacifiers - Nuk, 2/pkg.$3.69
Diaper rash cream - Desitin, 1 tube $5.45
Baby powder - Johnson's lrg. economy size $4.59
Baby wash - Johnson's lrg.$2.79
Baby shampoo - Johnson's med. size $3.99

The above are just the BASE prices, which were priced on 3/26/12. The cost for diapers and formula will quickly multiply, depending on how much formula the baby needs and how many diaper changes the baby must have to keep his/her skin healthy. Moms will need a lot of diapers too. Diapers must be changed quite frequently to avoid diaper rash, which occurs as a result of babies being in a wet or stinky diaper for too long.

Let's assume, as an example, that the baby will have to be changed six times a day. The cost of diapers, which is $9.99 for a package of 40 can multiply as follows:

6 diapers per day, x 7 days = 42 diapers
42 diapers per week, x 4 weeks =$168 per month

The cost of formula can quickly multiply as well, depending on how much formula is used per day. When my son was a newborn and infant, he could easily consume a bottle at each feeding, which could be 2 or 3 ounces. If the baby is bigger, he/she will need more at each feeding.

The base cost for a six-pack of Enfamil ready-to-use 2oz. bottles is $7.99, which is really $8.00 minus a penny. It can multiply as follows:

2 six-packs per week @$8.00 =$16.00 per week
$16.00 x 4 weeks =$64.00 month

Remember, these figures are just ESTIMATES. Moms may choose different types of formula, but they have to know what the cost is, and they'll have to multiply it for a monthly estimate. Also, these costs are for diapers and formula ALONE. Moms will also have to buy clothes, a car seat (required by law), crib, stroller, infant seat, baby toys, and the list goes on.

It will be difficult, and in some cases impossible, for girls and young women to buy all these necessities for a baby, especially when the moms are teens and are too young to even work if they are younger than 16. Even moms over the age of 16 must graduate high school first, in order to obtain better jobs/careers.
Good summary O. And quite accurate. Of course, I see you're not including clothing, which will easily double, or perhaps triple the cost, plus baby towels, diaper bags (we had 3 for my daughter when she was an infant), and of course, assuming immediate family is not able, or willing to assist with it, there's also the cost of daycare. A conservative average in my are of the country is approximately $230.00 per week. Then there's also doctor visits, prescription medication, and so on.

A few years ago I read an article on Newsweek that was about the average cost of raising a child from birth to age 18. If I remember correctly, the author tallied it up to sum up to an excess of $180,000.00.
Ocean56

AOL

#824 Dec 31, 2012
Conservative Democrat wrote:
Good summary O. And quite accurate. Of course, I see you're not including clothing, which will easily double, or perhaps triple the cost, plus baby towels, diaper bags (we had 3 for my daughter when she was an infant), and of course, assuming immediate family is not able, or willing to assist with it, there's also the cost of daycare. A conservative average in my are of the country is approximately $230.00 per week. Then there's also doctor visits, prescription medication, and so on.
A few years ago I read an article on Newsweek that was about the average cost of raising a child from birth to age 18. If I remember correctly, the author tallied it up to sum up to an excess of $180,000.00.
Hi CD! Yes, I know quite a few items were omitted from the first list. I couldn't fit them all on one post due to the 4000-character post limit. Hey, I can only "stretch" so far, yanno. lol

Thanks for supplying these items, which also need to be included on any list of baby/child expenses.:-)
Ocean56

AOL

#825 Dec 31, 2012
COST OF HIGH-TICKET ITEMS

Too often, doing the math to find out what items are needed and how much each item will cost isn't done until the pregnant girl/woman is several months along. IMO waiting several months to find out what costs are involved is a huge mistake.

The MUST-have items that a pregnant girl/woman needs to have if she plans to keep and raise the baby are as follows:

1. Car seat (required by LAW)
2. Crib
3. Stroller
4. Diaper bag (with portable changing pad)
5. Special garbage pail for diapers

This is IN ADDITION to the above list, which was for everyday items like diapers, formula, bottles, wipes, pacifiers, and other things that mom will need every day. Some car seats can go as high as $200, and a crib can cost $200 or even more. I remember paying $500+ for my son's crib, and the car seat was about $150. That was over 15 years ago, and I am sure the prices for some of these items have gone up, depending on how expensive the store is.

Pregnant girls and young women need to be aware of how EXPENSIVE it is to raise a baby, preferably BEFORE a pregnancy occurs but definitely before the baby arrives. Doing the math and buying these items, IF the mom decides to raise her baby, should never be left to the last two or three months.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#826 Dec 31, 2012
Ocean56 wrote:
COST OF HIGH-TICKET ITEMS
Too often, doing the math to find out what items are needed and how much each item will cost isn't done until the pregnant girl/woman is several months along. IMO waiting several months to find out what costs are involved is a huge mistake.
The MUST-have items that a pregnant girl/woman needs to have if she plans to keep and raise the baby are as follows:
1. Car seat (required by LAW)
2. Crib
3. Stroller
4. Diaper bag (with portable changing pad)
5. Special garbage pail for diapers
This is IN ADDITION to the above list, which was for everyday items like diapers, formula, bottles, wipes, pacifiers, and other things that mom will need every day. Some car seats can go as high as $200, and a crib can cost $200 or even more. I remember paying $500+ for my son's crib, and the car seat was about $150. That was over 15 years ago, and I am sure the prices for some of these items have gone up, depending on how expensive the store is.
Pregnant girls and young women need to be aware of how EXPENSIVE it is to raise a baby, preferably BEFORE a pregnancy occurs but definitely before the baby arrives. Doing the math and buying these items, IF the mom decides to raise her baby, should never be left to the last two or three months.
You idiot. What sort of parents do you think won't babysit? And if the little girlie fool takes up a part time job and works AFTER 3 PM which is when they leave school they can work at their part time job.

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Colima, Mexico

#827 Dec 31, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I'm sorry, but you did. Fully. Thank you, for your cooperation.
Like you claimed you answered mine but can't show us as your post was invisible..........ROTFLMAO

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#828 Dec 31, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you claimed you answered mine but can't show us as your post was invisible..........ROTFLMAO
You mean the question you said you no longer cared about? LOL, grow up.

You answered my question. Fully. Deal with it.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#829 Dec 31, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the question you said you no longer cared about? LOL, grow up.
Quit selfish of you bitner. You can never be wrong! And yet you pay no attention when other people have something to say. Now support ratchet the cute yellow cat in the video.

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#830 Dec 31, 2012
Conservative Democrat wrote:
<quoted text>You obviously do not now the meaning of the word troll.

Must be all the chimichangas and the poco de gallo that's eating up your brain.

Question for you; why do you persist in talking guns on an abortion thread? Is that what they do in Mexico; talk futbol at a strip club?
I was only responding to a post.......

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#831 Dec 31, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>You mean the question you said you no longer cared about? LOL, grow up.

Yes as I know you will never answer just like I did to you..........

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#832 Dec 31, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes as I know you will never answer just like I did to you..........
That's not true, Dishonest One. I answered your question (the one you said you no longer cared about, and yet you keep whining about it), and you most certainly did answer mine. You're just pissed off because you meant NOT to, and can't figure out HOW. But, answer it you did. Deal with it.
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#833 Dec 31, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not true, Dishonest One. I answered your question (the one you said you no longer cared about, and yet you keep whining about it), and you most certainly did answer mine. You're just pissed off because you meant NOT to, and can't figure out HOW. But, answer it you did. Deal with it.
You didn't answer those questions actually bitner.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#834 Dec 31, 2012
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer those questions actually bitner.
I said I answered the original question. And I did. Everything else was irrelevant.

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#835 Dec 31, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>That's not true, Dishonest One. I answered your question (the one you said you no longer cared about, and yet you keep whining about it), and you most certainly did answer mine. You're just pissed off because you meant NOT to, and can't figure out HOW. But, answer it you did. Deal with it.
I posted the list again and you still ran and hid

Typical liberal

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#836 Dec 31, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>I said I answered the original question. And I did. Everything else was irrelevant.
Wrong again liar.......

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#837 Dec 31, 2012
Largelanguage wrote:
a <quoted text>You didn't answer those questions actually bitner.
Why would this moron continue to lie and spend more time telling the lies than it would take to answer the questions???
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#838 Dec 31, 2012
Bitner loves lies.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#839 Dec 31, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again liar.......
No, I'm not lying. I did answer it.

Now, did YOU lie when you said you no longer cared?
Largelanguage

Chester, UK

#840 Dec 31, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not lying. I did answer it.
Now, did YOU lie when you said you no longer cared?
Lies.

“Facts”

Colima, Mexico

#841 Dec 31, 2012
Largelanguage wrote:
Bitner loves lies.
You got that right

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

California Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min red and right 194,542
News Rock Royalty Ava Sambora's Guide to the Best Su... 1 hr Sneaky Pete 4
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr litesong 54,356
News California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 5 hr Brigham Young 5,133
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) Thu Belle Sexton 60,802
News Higher minimum-wage proposals gain ground in Ne... Wed Dem Pipedreamers 119
Does the university of California degree very h... Wed jaea001 1
More from around the web